Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Oyster posted:

Fairies give trouble. Thankfully that's only Clefable, Wigglytuff, and alolan Ninetales.

M R . M I M E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, same. You're already translating the thing to English, thus acknowledging that your audience doesn't speak Japanese. Why leave the names in Japanese? It sticks out and it's lazy and also dumb.

Some-Stuff ran a poll for it when they started subbing SM and the terrible pokemon anime fanbase wanted japanese names.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I’m gonna start nicknaming my pokemon their japanese names just to piss someone off.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

less laughter posted:

M R . M I M E
I unironically did not know Mr. Mime was Fairy type now until I ran into the first one in Vermilion City

despite having played through Sun and assembled a living alolan dex and the whole nine yards I still have no idea what is and is not a Fairy out of past mons

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I still have no idea what is and is not a Fairy out of past mons

Mime line
Ralts line (minus Gallade)
Azurill line
Snubbull line
Togepi line
Mawile
Cottonee line
Igglybuff line
Cleffa line

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of Japanese names, I dislike when a Pokemon has a Japanese name that works fine in English but they change it anyways. Warrgle is better than Braviary!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's not a Return TM or Move Tutor in LGPE, is there? That was literally what prompted my complaints.

(although I'm just gonna live with having a Jolly nature because speed is better than 10% of my spatk anyway and go with 4 of the fancy moves rather than 3+stab)

(checks) Huh, you're right, no Return! That's a weird choose on Gamefreaks part, but then they've done weirder things before.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

RatHat posted:

Speaking of Japanese names, I dislike when a Pokemon has a Japanese name that works fine in English but they change it anyways. Warrgle is better than Braviary!

Cosmovum is the prime example of this.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

.......Vulgina

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

less laughter posted:

Mime line
Ralts line (minus Gallade)
Azurill line
Snubbull line
Togepi line
Mawile
Cottonee line
Igglybuff line
Cleffa line

It will never make sense to me why Snubull, which is just a dog and thus primo normal type, was made a fairy type and not Chansey, a healer with mystical sparkly fairy powers whose exists to make things happy. The fairy type in general seems to have really had to stretch definitions to have a non-ignorable amount of Pokemon, so leaving out Chansey seems even weirder.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

galagazombie posted:

It will never make sense to me why Snubull, which is just a dog and thus primo normal type, was made a fairy type

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%F9-s%ECth

It has always been called the Fairy Pokémon.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Silver2195 posted:

Lots of informal challenge modes already exist, although they often just end up making the game grindier rather than adding tactical difficulty. An easy fix to this is to add a clause like "if your Pokemon levels up beyond the next Gym Leader's strongest Pokemon, you have to box it until you beat the Gym Leader" to an existing challenge. Personally, I found Chrism's No EXP challenge, where Pokemon don't gain EXP at all (see https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFfCl8cCZEdCVpZs8sX8NoSXMbjR04_BN) interesting, but it requires custom romhacks.

This no exp Blue run is pretty neat.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

galagazombie posted:

It will never make sense to me why Snubull, which is just a dog and thus primo normal type, was made a fairy type and not Chansey, a healer with mystical sparkly fairy powers whose exists to make things happy. The fairy type in general seems to have really had to stretch definitions to have a non-ignorable amount of Pokemon, so leaving out Chansey seems even weirder.

Blissey is enough of a tank without having relevant resistances, thank you very much

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
normal should have resisted and been super effective against fairy

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

nothing should be super effective against normal, it should just be a neutral type.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Normal's one of those weird types that's got a major weakness yet is super effective against nothing. Like narratively I get it as an idea but in function...it's strange.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

less laughter posted:

M R . M I M E

Yowza. Mime is so not-notable outside of being a regional in Go and a trade in RBY that I completely forgot about that.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This is way better, I was trying to lean on Freezy Frost against flying (and Dragonite can eat a dick) but sacrificing Buzzy Buzz gave me coverage issues and I hadn't rethought the plan. (and yeah, good thing this is gen 1, so I can cover 100% of ghosts with Psychic and Water and bugs with Electric and Psychic and so on)

Some people swear by the Sappy Seed/Bouncy Bubble combo, in that leech seed effects coupled with water element mega drain is unstoppable, but grass and water overlap so much it's not worth losing that much coverage. Then there are grass types.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Flopsy posted:

Normal's one of those weird types that's got a major weakness yet is super effective against nothing. Like narratively I get it as an idea but in function...it's strange.

A lot of weird things about the early pokemon game design make more sense when I remember that it started out as just a JRPG with a gimmick, and balance came later.

Though I did just realize that the original trade evos almost make a nice little rock-paper-scissors quartet:
Psychic beats Fighting
Fighting beats Rock
Ground beats Poison
Ghost (theoretically) beats Psychic

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

galagazombie posted:

Much like Bug, Dragon and Ghost, Fairy as a type can encompass a number of representations, plus Snubbull and Granbull are classified as "The Fairy Pokémon". The Chansey family not being granted the Fairy type makes sense from both a gameplay perspective as Fairy is already very good in regards to resistances and weaknesses and to differentiate it from the other pink rounded Pokémon in Gen 1, Clefairy and Jigglypuff (Clefairy was changed to Fairy while Jigglypuff became Normal/Fairy).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zuzie posted:

Much like Bug, Dragon and Ghost, Fairy as a type can encompass a number of representations, plus Snubbull and Granbull are classified as "The Fairy Pokémon". The Chansey family not being granted the Fairy type makes sense from both a gameplay perspective as Fairy is already very good in regards to resistances and weaknesses and to differentiate it from the other pink rounded Pokémon in Gen 1, Clefairy and Jigglypuff (Clefairy was changed to Fairy while Jigglypuff became Normal/Fairy).

I believe Gyarados is Water/Flying instead of Water/Dragon for similar reasons; as a Dragon-type it would have effectively no weaknesses in Gen 1, and while they introduced non-fixed-damage Dragon moves in Gen 2, they also introduced a separate Water/Dragon in Kingdra.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nodosaur posted:

The difference is, a sub is supposed to reflect what the Japanese text is saying. It's not a dub, it's not a localization, it's a translation. Anything that isn't a change for clarity's sake or for readability isn't something that should be changed.

So. I dunno. Toughen up and just tune it out. You know what these things are called in the west already anyway.

Well I don't watch subbed anime anyway, but how about...

no. You're translating everything else to English already. You have an English word for a thing that exists. Use that.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Some-Stuff ran a poll for it when they started subbing SM and the terrible pokemon anime fanbase wanted japanese names.

And this is where you should just ignore what the screaming whining masses want and just do what makes sense. :colbert: Christ, people are weird/dumb.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

RatHat posted:

Warrgle is better than Braviary!
Don't be absurd. "Wargle" only works in Japanese because the target audience don't realise just how phonetically mangled iiguru is; in English it sounds stupid. There's a reason this Magic card became an annoying meme.

Nodosaur posted:

So. I dunno. Toughen up and just tune it out. You know what these things are called in the west already anyway.
I may know the English names for stuff, but I don't know the Japanese names as readily. Not localising the subtitles means I have to maintain a lookup table of both in my head, which imposes an extra level of indirection which I really don't want or need when doing something that's supposed to be relaxing. (Also, "git gud" is a terrible argument regardless of what leisure activity is the topic of discussion.)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

(checks) Huh, you're right, no Return! That's a weird choose on Gamefreaks part, but then they've done weirder things before.

I wonder why they left it out. What's the point of no Return?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bongo Bill posted:

I wonder why they left it out. What's the point of no Return?

:golfclap: well done good sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0DQgY7Rr-0

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'd like to point out that Warrgle is just as much of a localization as Braviary is. Its name in Japanese is ウォーグル. If you can't read that then... you're screwed I guess. You'll have to read a translation. Them's the breaks.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Clarste posted:

I'd like to point out that Warrgle is just as much of a localization as Braviary is. Its name in Japanese is ウォーグル. If you can't read that then... you're screwed I guess. You'll have to read a translation. Them's the breaks.

Uooguru is a perfectly good name and should remain untranslated.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I mean, let's go Eevee is so absurd with its perfect stats and a free 30 Eevee candies(let alone using regular candies) that I just used Double Edge/Take Down. Not like anything can survive your STAB to punish you.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
the pokemon anime is good???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU4CPc8Rkqo

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nodosaur posted:

The difference is, a sub is supposed to reflect what the Japanese text is saying. It's not a dub, it's not a localization, it's a translation. Anything that isn't a change for clarity's sake or for readability isn't something that should be changed.

If it was reflecting what the text was saying it'd be in japanese you weirdo. Translation by definition has to localize because it's bringing things into a context that's understandable in another language. If was a machine translation without any form of localization or change and just direct rough translation of what was said you'd have absolutely nonsensical blobs because it turns out languages treat syntax and subjects and tense incredibly different from one another.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Silver2195 posted:

I believe Gyarados is Water/Flying instead of Water/Dragon for similar reasons; as a Dragon-type it would have effectively no weaknesses in Gen 1, and while they introduced non-fixed-damage Dragon moves in Gen 2, they also introduced a separate Water/Dragon in Kingdra.

To my knowledge it was actually that during development Gen 1 had a Bird-Type for the Birds and a Flying Type for big monster dudes. What happened was that right near the end of development they decided Lance, being the badass leader of the final challenge, should get his own type (Which became dragon) this meant another type had to get axed for memory concerns and so Bird got merged into flying. This is also why all the birds are part normal, to separate them from the original Flying types. So the reason Gen 1 has a bunch of Dragons but only one "Dragon" Type is because Gyarados, Charizard and friends are Dragon Type. They merely added a second Dragon type.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If it was reflecting what the text was saying it'd be in japanese you weirdo. Translation by definition has to localize because it's bringing things into a context that's understandable in another language. If was a machine translation without any form of localization or change and just direct rough translation of what was said you'd have absolutely nonsensical blobs because it turns out languages treat syntax and subjects and tense incredibly different from one another.

That would make sense if Pokemon English names were consistently derived from their Japanese names, but they aren't. They oftentimes have completely different root words or inspirations. Pawniard for instance references a completely different game from Komatana.

Leave proper nouns alone. You wouldn't translate an anime that has "Excalibur" in it so the sword's name is "Awesomesword", would you? The same rule should apply no matter what language the sub is in.

Crosscontaminant posted:

I may know the English names for stuff, but I don't know the Japanese names as readily. Not localising the subtitles means I have to maintain a lookup table of both in my head, which imposes an extra level of indirection which I really don't want or need when doing something that's supposed to be relaxing. (Also, "git gud" is a terrible argument regardless of what leisure activity is the topic of discussion.)

I mean, don't you recognize them once they appear on screen? It's an extremely rare circumstance when they refer to a Pokemon's name when it's not on screen.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The English word for "Gusokumusha" is "Golisopod."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

That would make sense if Pokemon English names were consistently derived from their Japanese names, but they aren't. They oftentimes have completely different root words or inspirations. Pawniard for instance references a completely different game from Komatana.

Leave proper nouns alone. You wouldn't translate an anime that has "Excalibur" in it so the sword's name is "Awesomesword", would you? The same rule should apply no matter what language the sub is in.

I mean, don't you recognize them once they appear on screen? It's an extremely rare circumstance when they refer to a Pokemon's name when it's not on screen.

Counterpoint: A lot of the Japanese Pokemon names, particularly for the early gens, are very stupid. Reading names like Pigeon, Sand, Ghost, Blacky, Nassy, Thunder, Thunders, Boober, Eleboo, and Py is harmful to the brain. And many of the names that aren't stupid are nevertheless meaningless to most English speakers.

Edit: I guess a counterpoint to my own counterpoint is that I don't think there are any Japanese names quite that bad from Gen 3 onwards, and, perhaps as a result, in later gens there are more Pokemon that retain their original names in localization anyway.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 4, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

The English word for "Gusokumusha" is "Golisopod."

The English name more or less cuts out the fact it's also based on a samurai, so not really. That's why it ends in "musha" instead of "mushi".

Silver2195 posted:

Counterpoint: A lot of the Japanese Pokemon names, particularly for the early gens, are very stupid. Reading names like Pigeon, Sand, Ghost, Blacky, Nassy, Thunder, Thunders, Boober, Eleboo, and Py is harmful to the brain. And many of the names that aren't stupid are nevertheless meaningless to most English speakers.

Edit: I guess a counterpoint to my own counterpoint is that I don't think there are any Japanese names quite that bad from Gen 3 onwards, and in later gens there are more Pokemon that retain their original names in localization anyway.

I mean, I'm not saying that I like or even prefer all of these names. Just. Changing stuff for the sake of localization is a dub's deal. Subs shouldn't do that.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Jigglypuff is called Pudding and should be referred to as Pudding in all media.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

The English name more or less cuts out the fact it's also based on a samurai, so not really. That's why it ends in "musha" instead of "mushi".

Correct, the English word and the Japanese word do have different etymology. Because they are in unrelated languages.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Should just fully translate every Pokemon name so that we get the really bad puns instead of the dumb and meaningless romanji.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

Correct, the English word and the Japanese word do have different etymology. Because they are in unrelated languages.

Look, you know what I mean, and I know what you mean. I'm not gonna draw this out further. The American Pokemon names are no more translations of their Japanese names than "donut" is the english word for "onigiri". Well, no, that's not fair, they're not as stupid, but I digress.

Proper nouns, if they're translated in subs, should only be done for the sake of conveying meaning. For Gosukomusha, something like "Gigasamupod" or something would work better for that than its english name.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 4, 2019

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

Look, you know what I mean, and I know what you mean. I'm not gonna draw this out further. The American Pokemon names are no more translations of their Japanese names than "donut" is the english word for "rice ball". Well, no, that's not fair, they're not as stupid, but I digress.

I'll come right out and say it, then: the subtitles should be localizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

It's kinda funny how Jojo's Bizarre Adventure subs use "localizations" when it would be way better if they didn't but Pokemon doesn't use localizations when it would be better if they did.