Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

zmcnulty posted:

See, I would chalk up most seafood to freshness rather than actual regional variation.

But there's regional variation in availability of fish, right? Which probably also lends itself to being able to find better X fish in Y prefecture because you're just closer to the source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

LimburgLimbo posted:

No joke I've had multiple requests from various people to bring that from Tokyo so I guess it is actually good though

Hoping to finally hit the Nebuta matsuri this year; haven't been in about a decade

last time i left just before either neputa or nebuta so we were pretty bummed out about that.

we did pick a bunch of apples to eat on the plane though, so that was nice at least.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

But there's regional variation in availability of fish, right? Which probably also lends itself to being able to find better X fish in Y prefecture because you're just closer to the source.

From what I understand this isn't necessarily true due to demand and logistics. Plenty of fishermen deliberately avoid selling locally because the same fish can command a higher price in Tsukiji/Toyosu--even after shipping costs--rather than some local market. Hell there are Japanese places in HK/Singapore that fly in fish from Tsukiji to serve at their restaurants. Many fishermen do this to the detriment of their local markets, i.e. all the best XYZ is sent to Tokyo and the locals just get the leftovers. Now "the leftovers" here could certainly end up being more affordable and quite tasty, but whether or not it's truly the best the local area has to offer may be a different discussion.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 3, 2019

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

zmcnulty posted:

From what I understand this isn't necessarily true due to demand and logistics. Plenty of fishermen deliberately avoid selling locally because the same fish can command a higher price in Tsukiji/Toyosu--even after shipping costs--rather than some local market. Hell there are Japanese places in HK/Singapore that fly in fish from Tsukiji to serve at their restaurants. Many fishermen do this to the detriment of their local markets, i.e. all the best XYZ is sent to Tokyo and the locals just get the leftovers. Now "the leftovers" here could certainly end up being more affordable and quite tasty, but whether or not it's truly the best the local area has to offer may be a different discussion.

That makes a lot of sense.

On the other hand, if we talk quality/$.. I wonder how true that remains. There must be SOME good local supply, though, so maybe it's just a matter of finding the right place that does pay the premium for local fish. Or make friends with a fisherman or something like that :D

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I bought a bunch of tokyo banana kit kats last time I was in tokyo. They were goooood.

totalnewbie posted:

That makes a lot of sense.

On the other hand, if we talk quality/$.. I wonder how true that remains. There must be SOME good local supply, though, so maybe it's just a matter of finding the right place that does pay the premium for local fish. Or make friends with a fisherman or something like that :D

The best sushi for my money was in Otaru, which is a tiny fishing town in Hokkaido about 30m from Sapporo so that also probably explains why.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

So wait. Is this Hub you guys talk about a British pub? :confused:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Sometimes called a bawdyhouse

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

So is it like the best British pub in the world or something? IDGI

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Of the category of establishment to which it belongs, it is the most.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Doctor Zero posted:

from what i've heard it's an above average place to end up at a love hotel after

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

It’s a chain of mediocre British pubs found throughout Japanese cities (especially Tokyo, and especially near major train stations) and a common place for foreign dudes to pick up Japanese women.

And now the joke is dead.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The hub deserves at least two michelin stars and 5/5 stars on tripadvisor, but it would likely get 2/5 on tabelog since the doritos are covered in saran wrap

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

harperdc posted:

It’s a chain of mediocre British pubs found throughout Japanese cities (especially Tokyo, and especially near major train stations) and a common place for foreign dudes to pick up Japanese women.

And now the joke is dead.

Ahh sorry my married clueless self ruined the joke. :ohdear:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Which does tablelog say is the best McDonald's in Japan?

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
If you don’t know the hub you don’t really know Japan

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

zmcnulty posted:

From what I understand this isn't necessarily true due to demand and logistics. Plenty of fishermen deliberately avoid selling locally because the same fish can command a higher price in Tsukiji/Toyosu--even after shipping costs--rather than some local market.

I don't think this is practically correct.

The very highest quality fish, which will be relatively low in quantity, will go to the Tokyo fish market. This is to go to restaurants that will cost 200-300 dollars, and the demand for this sort of fish is going to be somewhat limited and driven by the number of super high quality fish sushi shokunin.

However, you've probably noticed that restaurants in the 50-100 dollar level in Tokyo often have mixed or poor quality fish excluding Maguro compared to markets outside of Tokyo. That's because below that 200-300 tier, fish will go to local/area markets first.

Economically, this makes sense. Japan produces a huge amount of fish, and except for a small number of fishers, the industry is wholesale. They have to be exporting their fish to all markets based on demand and supply. Eventually, the quality/price thresholds stabilize, so fish has to be going to all of the different markets.

I think the idea of fishermen not selling locally and explicitly going to Tokyo mainly came from Maguro, which indeed almost all goes to Tokyo first. That's where your statement is very true. It also helps that tuna in particular is much easier to preserve, and is mostly frozen anyway, unlike other fish.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm in Osaka right now, traveling with a friend and I have a bit of a problem.. Or she does. She's extremely homesick to the point of wanting to cancel her trip and go back early. Also since everyone asks me about this when I explain the situation, she's in her mid 20s.. I feel bad for her, but have no idea what I can do to help her get over this feeling. We do stuff together, but also have time where we do stuff solo.

I want to help her, but i also dont want this to derail my vacation and relaxation time. Does anyone have any experiences or advice on what I can say/do to get her to relax?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
How long is the total trip and how much time left?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Her next destination vacation should be a therapist

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

caberham posted:

How long is the total trip and how much time left?

The whole thing is a month and we're on day 3.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Really not trying to sound mean or sarcastic, but...she might just be really jetlagged. Let her get a really good night's sleep to reset her clock and she might feel better?

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
is it her first time being overseas like ever? not trying to be a dick. my first time travelling overseas was alone for the first week, and culture shock hit me bad in the first couple days, but once i got used to stuff and started enjoying everything, i loved that poo poo.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

The whole thing is a month and we're on day 3.

I’ll type a much better constructive answer when I’m at the office. Hopefully both of you guys can still get something out of this trip and have fun. And remain friends after :ohdear:

:laffo: Make better friends especially when it comes to traveling. She’s being a loving drag right now and honestly I’m sure you won’t invite her much or see her much after this fiasco. What a waste of jet fuel. Sooooo many people would kill for a trip to japan and she’s even got a buddy to watch over. It’s also hanami as well isn’t it? So what the loving gently caress.

Maybe she needs to eat Macdonalds everyday

Delicate unique snow flake types should just stay home and stick with Netflix.

caberham fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 4, 2019

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Nanigans posted:

Really not trying to sound mean or sarcastic, but...she might just be really jetlagged. Let her get a really good night's sleep to reset her clock and she might feel better?

BB2K posted:

is it her first time being overseas like ever? not trying to be a dick. my first time travelling overseas was alone for the first week, and culture shock hit me bad in the first couple days, but once i got used to stuff and started enjoying everything, i loved that poo poo.

It is. Furthest she travelled before was France. I'm thinking it has something to do with either the jetlag still hitting her or its still a bit of a shock being so far away from home. (We're from the Netherlands). I managed to talk her down that we'll wait how this week goes and that I can spend more time with her if she needs it. Set up a small plan of doing stuff together more and letting her adjust on her own pace more ie. more rest times, hanging out in quiet and relaxing places. And if she's still feeling like this by Friday/Saturday, I'll look into what we can do.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Go play with the deer in Nara

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Archer666 posted:

I want to help her, but i also dont want this to derail my vacation and relaxation time. Does anyone have any experiences or advice on what I can say/do to get her to relax?

Leave her rear end to cry in the streets of Osaka. Go enjoy your vacation. She’s an adult she can take care of herself, and if she can’t, oh well. No big loss.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

go take a bath

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

take her to shinsekai

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The second time I came to Japan (age 15), the first night with my host family--where I knew I would be for the next 11 months--I had a sort of "what the hell have I gotten myself into" moment. Not homesick like "I wanna go home, WAAAH," but I got nauseous. Went to the bathroom, had a good puke, then immediately went to bed. I was fine from the next day on. This happened despite having been outside of the US before, despite being in Japan before, and it was like my fifth night of the trip, not even the first night.

I think the biggest difference for me when traveling internationally, regardless of the country, is trying to view my time traveling as an opportunity. There may be challenges associated with language, sure, but if you can overcome those--which is not extraordinarily difficult in Japan as most Japanese people in tourist areas are used to dealing with foreigners--you can discover great food, scenery, people, culture, or whatever. In fact, the entire tourism industry is there to help you do that. And you're here for a month, so there's plenty of time.

Giving her until the end of the week to get her poo poo together is probably the right call, assuming you value your friendship with her more and can accept the compromises you'll need to make to see it through.

On the other hand, some people straight-up need babysitting in foreign countries, regardless of the country, their age, or travel experience. Assuming you don't want to do that yourself, would hiring a tour guide for her help? Some even don't charge, Google shows a few results for services like this in Osaka.

Failing that, you're in Osaka. Drink! She may calm down after drinking with (or at least alongside) a few local Osaka people and realizing that Japanese people really aren't so much different from people anywhere else in the world.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 4, 2019

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

there's an arcade with a vast collection of titty mahjong games in shinsekai

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
i will also go with you to shinsekai, i live not too far away and i love shinsekai

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

d0s posted:

take her to shinsekai

I did. It was on the same day that she lost her poo poo at me about this...

zmcnulty posted:

The second time I came to Japan (age 15), the first night with my host family--where I knew I would be for the next 11 months--I had a sort of "what the hell have I gotten myself into" moment. Not homesick like "I wanna go home, WAAAH," but I got nauseous. Went to the bathroom, had a good puke, then immediately went to bed. I was fine from the next day on. This happened despite having been outside of the US before, despite being in Japan before, and it was like my fifth night of the trip, not even the first night.

I think the biggest difference for me when traveling internationally, regardless of the country, is trying to view my time traveling as an opportunity. There may be challenges associated with language, sure, but if you can overcome those--which is not extraordinarily difficult in Japan as most Japanese people in tourist areas are used to dealing with foreigners--you can discover great food, scenery, people, culture, or whatever. In fact, the entire tourism industry is there to help you do that. And you're here for a month, so there's plenty of time.

Giving her until the end of the week to get her poo poo together is probably the right call, assuming you value your friendship with her more and can accept the compromises you'll need to make to see it through.

On the other hand, some people straight-up need babysitting in foreign countries, regardless of the country, their age, or travel experience. Assuming you don't want to do that yourself, would hiring a tour guide for her help? Some even don't charge, Google shows a few results for services like this in Osaka.

Failing that, you're in Osaka. Drink! She may calm down after drinking with (or at least alongside) a few local Osaka people and realizing that Japanese people really aren't so much different from people anywhere else in the world.

I'm not sure the tour guide will help but I will run it past her. The thing she misses most is being able to call up friends and whenever she wants, which she cant do cause of the time differences... so she's basically really badly homesick.

The week will also be a good test for me if I can handle this stuff. I'm willing to make some concessions but I'm not going to make any big sacrifices to baby an adult woman..

I'm planning on taking her drinking today or tomorrow. Hopefully that'll help.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Lol the Borg has been severed from the collective for three days and is malfunctioning.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
sounds like it's time to :sever:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

BB2K posted:

i will also go with you to shinsekai, i live not too far away and i love shinsekai

yeah i lurk this thread a lot and every time I see people diss osaka I'm like wtf because it has shinsekai, the best place in japan

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

shinsekai rules a lot

i'll hang out with anyone here in shinsekai in november

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

I did. It was on the same day that she lost her poo poo at me about this...

I'm not sure the tour guide will help but I will run it past her. The thing she misses most is being able to call up friends and whenever she wants, which she cant do cause of the time differences... so she's basically really badly homesick.

The week will also be a good test for me if I can handle this stuff. I'm willing to make some concessions but I'm not going to make any big sacrifices to baby an adult woman..

I'm planning on taking her drinking today or tomorrow. Hopefully that'll help.

Even with a 7 hour difference, it shouldn't be that hard for her to get a hold of someone once per day for a 5 minute phonecall. Maybe if she can just get a couple of those calls in, she'll have time to adjust in the meantime? She probably just needs to get over that initial bump in the road.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

d0s posted:

yeah i lurk this thread a lot and every time I see people diss osaka I'm like wtf because it has shinsekai, the best place in japan

As someone who barely ever leaves the warm embrace of Shibuya-ku and Minato-ku without specific reason, what's so cool about shinsekai?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
hi i'm currently in osaka right now too and instead of being a good tourist and going out to shinsekai I'm currently in my room chilling until dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
it's ok though I drove like 4-5 hours today and am kinda tired after two weeks. I think I clocked about 1500km of driving this trip and that was really cool.