Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I have no idea if that's good or not, but taking no-deal Brexit off the table means I get to delay a project at my job for a couple of years, hopefully until after I've gone to another job :v:

It's the equivalent of Parliament mandating that Theresa May ask the EU for a unicorn. She will certainly most likely go out and make the request, but given that Unicorns don't actually exist it's likely not to be something that can be accomplished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

It's the equivalent of Parliament mandating that Theresa May ask the EU for a unicorn. She will certainly most likely go out and make the request, but given that Unicorns don't actually exist it's likely not to be something that can be accomplished

the dumbest possible end to all this is the EU formally expelling them without changing literally anything so you’re probably going to want to prep for that.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

You know, as flawed as the EU is, I really have to profess my gratitude for helping to give us the longest bout of British cringe comedy ever seen.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Look down, say "No."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
8 days

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Can't believe they've banned flowcharts for the next month.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There will not be adequate wine

quote:

France says it’s ready for Brexit. But are Brits prepared for less French wine?

CALAIS, France — “The Guv’nor!” is a red wine “stuffed with bramble and plummy flavours” that sells for about $5 a bottle, $30 a case. It’s a house specialty here at Majestic Wine Calais, one of the sprawling discount wine warehouses within walking distance of the English Channel. And it’s part of a cottage industry aimed at the steady flow of Brits who come by ferry to load up their cars with plonk far cheaper than at home.

But this journey, this industry, could be among the many casualties of Brexit — especially if Britain crashes out of the European Union without a withdrawal deal, as it’s set to do on April 12.

Peter Williamson, a 74-year-old retiree from Biggin Hill, outside London, is in the Guv’nor’s target demographic, though it was a Chilean white he was looking for at the Majestic warehouse last week. He said he was skeptical that wine would be much more expensive or less accessible after Brexit. “I think the French need the money,” said Williamson, who voted to leave the E.U. “They can’t turn away money from the British.”

But trade experts say that, absolutely, the landscape would shift.

“Today, wines are sold extremely easily. That will change completely,” said David Caron, a customs representative for CFDT, one of France’s largest labor unions. “They can return to the U.K. with a small quantity. But a whole trunk? Tomorrow there will be limits.”

Despite the hand-wringing that followed Britain’s 2016 referendum, the French seem largely resigned to the pending reality of Brexit. No European leader has taken a harder line against British political waffling than French President Emmanuel Macron. And, since January, the French government has had a detailed contingency plan for the increasingly likely scenario of a no-deal Brexit.

This is especially true in Calais, the closest point in France to Britain and a major transport hub. The port of Calais sees as many as 50 ferry departures and arrivals between the two countries each day, with a passenger flow of 10 million a year. Calais is also an entry and exit point for trucks — and 22 million tons of goods — traveling by rail through the Eurotunnel.

How much this flow is disrupted by Brexit will depend in part on how Britain leaves.

If it departs with a withdrawal agreement, it will get a two-year transition period to sort out a trade relationship with the E.U. But if Britain leaves abruptly without a deal, it will lose its trade privileges overnight, and it probably will have to accept new tariffs, border inspections and document checks that weren’t necessary while it was a member of the unified bloc.

[What is Brexit? Britain’s political drama, explained]

To prepare for that possibility, the European Commission last week adopted an emergency proposal to keep the Channel Tunnel operating normally for 90 days — provided Britain maintains “safety standards identical to E.U. requirements.”

The French government also has begun recruiting 700 additional customs officials. French unions say even more are needed, and to make the point, they have been staging strikes that have crippled Eurostar train services and created traffic jams near Calais.

But Jean-Marc Puissesseau, the Calais port boss, said he is confident his operation is ready. Last month the port completed a 6 million-euro customs processing center.

“This is a well-oiled machine,” Puissesseau said, as he noted on a color-coded map the new zones where Britain-bound trucks would be directed once they entered the facility.

Britain, too, has been rolling out contingency plans: reserving space on ferries, encouraging pharmaceutical companies to increase their supplies.

To be sure, having a sufficient supply of wine to last through Brexit is a lesser concern. But Jack Merrylees, a spokesman for Majestic, said some stockpiling was happening in Calais.

“The numbers certainly suggest that customers are taking the opportunity to stock up,” Merrylees said. “It’s clear that there is uncertainty and that it’s well worth getting the savings in now.”

Across the street from Majestic is the Calais Wine Superstore, another warehouse with aisles that seem to go on and on. Soft Frank Sinatra tunes play as customers scan new- and old-world reds and whites, and a selection of rosé that ranges from sunset pink to the color of nail polish remover.

Teresa Borcherds, 58, a retiree from Berkshire who in 2016 voted to remain in the E.U., said she and her husband usually come to the warehouse every three months and weren’t due back for at least another month and a half. But they came last week because of the pending Brexit deadline, she said.

What were they stockpiling? “J.P. Chenet — that’s wine,” she said. “And then lager and beer.”

This may be their last trip. “Thirty pounds for petrol on the way here, 30 for the fare, 30 for petrol again,” Borcherds said. “If you’re only buying cigarettes, it’s not worth it.”

Nearby were Ian and Joy Massif, 72 and 71, respectively, who were perusing everything but the French wines on offer. “We’ve got nothing against the French,” Ian said, laughing. “They operate a very good supermarket.” He added that their usual itinerary included a stop here, a stop at the nearby Carrefour grocery and then home. “No eating. No drinking. Home,” he said.

Both husband and wife voted to leave the E.U., and both were still concerned about the migrant situation in Calais, which, after the peak of Europe’s migrant influx, became a de facto holding pen for asylum seekers desperate to enter Britain, which mostly denied them entry.

“The last time we came we saw some just along the road,” Joy Massif said. “You locked your doors because you worried about it. And, of course, we’ve got them at home, with Dover being so close.”

Ian Massif pointed out that the two cases of wine on their trolley reminded him of the limits that used to exist before Britain joined the continental trade bloc in 1973. “Forty years ago, that would be your allowance — that’s it,” he said, noting that they planned to take home a load.

“We don’t drink it all ourselves,” Joy joked.

“We don’t drink it all at one time, either,” Ian said with a laugh. “There are so few pleasures left, aren’t there, darling?”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.fa7c160bb39c

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

There will, however, be adequate whine.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I love to vote away the current situation without knowing or considering what might follow. I just saw someone I didn't like. *click* Time to change the channel, see what else is on

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

france got overshadowed ages ago by every other country when it comes to red wine anyway

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

quote:

Peter Williamson, a 74-year-old retiree from Biggin Hill, outside London, is in the Guv’nor’s target demographic, though it was a Chilean white he was looking for at the Majestic warehouse last week. He said he was skeptical that wine would be much more expensive or less accessible after Brexit. “I think the French need the money,” said Williamson, who voted to leave the E.U. “They can’t turn away money from the British.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.fa7c160bb39c

Piece of poo poo boomers brain damaged from decades of media are unable to imagine a world that doesn't spontaneously reorganize itself to sucl their dicks

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
as this thread has recently pointed out you dont need french red wine you have your own domestic varietal

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

want to see that 6 million Euro facility that was thrown up in an instant

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leopold Stotch posted:

Arthur Super Sheds Jackson

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
iv been thinking very hard and I know how to fix brexit: have the normans invade again

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Venom Snake posted:

iv been thinking very hard and I know how to fix brexit: have the normans invade again

Unified Ireland + independent Scotland and Wales in the EU, isolated England withering alone is my dream outcome for Brexit and I don't think it's unreasonable at this point.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Why are people stockpiling but doing it so poorly? like if you're gonna go down that road at least do it right

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CODChimera posted:

Why are people stockpiling but doing it so poorly? like if you're gonna go down that road at least do it right

Because they're are loving idiots OP

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

CODChimera posted:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

the fabled drain

I can almost see it, like a ghost in the distance

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

A lot of snacks and eight gallons of water.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

im the entire watermelon

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
man that was a great thread. legend

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the best part of it was what saved florida goons was the hurricane spending 8 hours over cuba and going down to a cat 1-2 before landfall, i was really looking forward to laughing at jose being owned 1-2 hours before it reached me and owned me too

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

if it's good enough for a hurricane, it's more than enough for Brexit :hai:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

That hurricane was a huge tease

Much like brexit

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

skaboomizzy posted:

Unified Ireland + independent Scotland and Wales in the EU, isolated England withering alone is my dream outcome for Brexit and I don't think it's unreasonable at this point.

world war three except it’s contained entirely on the isles

Ireland sending the IRA to Glasgow

Wales catapulting sheep into Belfast

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Stocking up on charcoal and wootz ore for later trading

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How has it been physically inside the parliament chambers this week? Is there still a veneer of civility or is it all shouting and pointing? Is it going to come to blows or anything?

Edit: or alternately is everyone just despondent and staring at the floor?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Venom Snake posted:

the best part of it was what saved florida goons was the hurricane spending 8 hours over cuba and going down to a cat 1-2 before landfall, i was really looking forward to laughing at jose being owned 1-2 hours before it reached me and owned me too

Was it Lastgirl who planned to slowly go mad from the discomfort of a Florida summer without a/c or was that someone else?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

this brexit thing could go poorly so we better stock up on supplies *grabs a 6 pack*

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CODChimera posted:

this brexit thing could go poorly so we better stock up on supplies *grabs a 6 pack*

Jose, no shitposting on your alt!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i heard corbyn is demanding a full transition to communism by the end of the year in order to agree to any brexit deal

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Jose, no shitposting on your alt!

oops yeah my bad it was 4 beers not a 6 pack

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

poty posted:

i heard corbyn is demanding a full transition to communism by the end of the year in order to agree to any brexit deal

It's such a shame that Corbs isn't a communist, but a slightly left of center neo liberal.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/chunkymark/status/1113680001252110338

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

we were criminally low on beer

this is a twitter thread containing a bunch of no deal MPs talking about how actually No Deal was never wanted before the referendum

https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/1113547733300842497

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Dance Officer posted:

It's such a shame that Corbs isn't a communist, but a slightly left of center neo liberal.

this is understating it, corbyn is ratger explicitly not a neoliberal and is probably the first prominent western politician to run against the programme of neoliberalism

thence 'oh jeremy corbyn' etc

he's an old school demsoc of the type you'd find on the left flank of every social-democratic movement before the blair tendency mostly purged them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

V. Illych L. posted:

he's an old school demsoc of the type you'd find on the left flank of every social-democratic movement before the blair tendency mostly purged them

Jery-wan Kenorbyn