Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm Port George

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Covok posted:

So what cringe-inducing setting did you make back in high school?
My 3e setting was based in part on pure gleaming diamond hatred for established campaign settings. All the standard D&D races were replaced with ones I made up. (They weren't just elves and dwarves by a different name, but they were pretty one-note.) There was a D&D style pantheon of good and evil gods, with too much detail on their portfolio and iconography, but with the caveat that the gods don't intervene in the world, so I why did I waste so much time on it? It had a very similar geographic layout to Europe and Eurasia. The major nations were basically Britain, Russia, Eastern Europe, The Mediterranean, Melnibone, and hosed Up Demon Land Don't Go There. All the capital cities were named after obscure gothic rock bands.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

My Lovely Horse posted:

I completely love that this is, in a good way, an utterly standard medieval fantasy world map and right there at the edge DOMINION OF THE CYBER LEGION
It's actually pretty authentically old school 1970s gonzo to have a corner of the map occupied by a crashed spaceship, with a robot army protecting the mad AI ship's computer.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

how obscure

Picturing meeting the mayor of Sad Lovers & Giants

e: also yeah that's extremely true

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's what makes all the OSR attempts at "weird fantasy" so :geno: to me. Tidbits of Lovecraft/CA Smith and spaceships and robots are already integral to old-school D&D.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We didn't design our own but we did allow and combine all splatbooks. What's a kender doing in Faerun? Who knows, they're there, roll to not get your poo poo stolen.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Covok posted:

I hadn't actually played tabletop outside of the school library's incomplete set of Lone Wolf gamebooks, so between that and an unhealthy amount of Diablo I made my own system which was basically interconnected numbered rooms ("To take the door on the left, go to 108.") with random chance events such as monsters being there and so forth. Yeah, I was reinventing the wheel without knowing it, so sue me, I was 12 years old.

The setting didn't have a proper name, I just called it (and the gamebook-thing) "Out in the Cold" and it was isekai before isekai was cool. Multiple universes collapsed into one, the resulting molecular misalignment causing a massive cold snap that saw the whole world enter a new ice age, and all the resulting weirdness from the other universes sort of spliced into this one. So it was set at my school but everyone else had been replaced by monsters and suddenly science and math textbooks could be used to cast spells. Also flamethrowers were very important.

The monsters ranged from the weird (the Hairy Caretaker, a broom-wielding mutant created when a hapless janitor got blended in with his protosimian counterpart from a prehistoric universe) to the creepy (the Sixth Form Students, who had been in the middle of lessons when the collapse happened, their third eyes forcibly opened when advanced math and science became advanced magic, and now floating around as quasi-ethereal inhuman wraiths) to the really weird (the Carnivorous Lawn, 'nuff said).

It was a bit Earthbound and a bit Mad Max and a lot my own creation. A couple years later, after getting a taste of actual tabletop stuff, I started reworking it as a post-post-apocalyptic world where the collapse had happened centuries ago and life had adapted to this snowbound weirdscape. I abandoned it after realising it was a bit dumb, but I reused the title later for a PbP game on this very forum.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I would never develop a full world when doing world-building, just generally one really detailed home city and the surrounding environment, and then almost immediately it would get set on fire and the players would flee, leaving me to scramble and make something up for their new destination. Only once was this actually planned.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Fuego Fish posted:

I hadn't actually played tabletop outside of the school library's incomplete set of Lone Wolf gamebooks, so between that and an unhealthy amount of Diablo I made my own system which was basically interconnected numbered rooms ("To take the door on the left, go to 108.") with random chance events such as monsters being there and so forth. Yeah, I was reinventing the wheel without knowing it, so sue me, I was 12 years old.

The setting didn't have a proper name, I just called it (and the gamebook-thing) "Out in the Cold" and it was isekai before isekai was cool. Multiple universes collapsed into one, the resulting molecular misalignment causing a massive cold snap that saw the whole world enter a new ice age, and all the resulting weirdness from the other universes sort of spliced into this one. So it was set at my school but everyone else had been replaced by monsters and suddenly science and math textbooks could be used to cast spells. Also flamethrowers were very important.

The monsters ranged from the weird (the Hairy Caretaker, a broom-wielding mutant created when a hapless janitor got blended in with his protosimian counterpart from a prehistoric universe) to the creepy (the Sixth Form Students, who had been in the middle of lessons when the collapse happened, their third eyes forcibly opened when advanced math and science became advanced magic, and now floating around as quasi-ethereal inhuman wraiths) to the really weird (the Carnivorous Lawn, 'nuff said).

It was a bit Earthbound and a bit Mad Max and a lot my own creation. A couple years later, after getting a taste of actual tabletop stuff, I started reworking it as a post-post-apocalyptic world where the collapse had happened centuries ago and life had adapted to this snowbound weirdscape. I abandoned it after realising it was a bit dumb, but I reused the title later for a PbP game on this very forum.

That's uh. Actually pretty kicking rad. Nice!

I think the closest thing to cool that 12 year old me came up with was the idea that dragons had a nation unto themselves with a parliamentary democracy that ruled this mountain-range that split the continent and were basically huge dicks who taxed the poo poo out of people trying to cross through. That setting sure as poo poo wasn't good, but for some reason young me lovingly filled several lovely binders full of notes on it, then bothered to do a full update for 3rd edition D&D. Literally almost none of these notes were ever relevant at all or even known to my players. But god drat if the party whip for the black dragons' political party didn't have stats, that'd be weird.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I had:

(1) a sci-fi setting in a semi-populated planet on the rim of the universe, with cowboys fighting aliens and mad scientists and robots. Oh, also dragons because why the gently caress not.

(2) the same setting, but this time the players were marooned in an ark ship from ages back which had gone wrong, and the inhabitants worshipped what was left of the ship's core AI as a god. Also other bits of the ship's AI had survived and were all doing their own thing in their little fiefdoms.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I have no shame of my previous worldbuilding attempts because I've always been a good writer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of these sound like Adventure Time. Or vice versa.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Whybird posted:

I had:

(1) a sci-fi setting in a semi-populated planet on the rim of the universe, with cowboys fighting aliens and mad scientists and robots. Oh, also dragons because why the gently caress not.

(2) the same setting, but this time the players were marooned in an ark ship from ages back which had gone wrong, and the inhabitants worshipped what was left of the ship's core AI as a god. Also other bits of the ship's AI had survived and were all doing their own thing in their little fiefdoms.
See, I wish I'd done stuff like this, instead of trying to put more social realism in D&D.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I definitely stole Anomalous Subsurface Environment's Orbital Gods, where the gods are AIs in literal satellites hanging over the world and clerics get their spells back when their god is overhead each day.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

The Cybermen map rules and there's lots of fun stuff you could do with it. I'd like to think they mostly conquered their neighbors like, you've got Country 1, The Cyber Dominion, and Country 2 in between. Country 1 hates Country 2 and is like "hooray Country 2 is weakened by war with the Cybermen, we can strike a fatal blow" and they do that, and Country 2 falls to the Cybermen and now Country 1 is the hated enemy caught in the middle.

That sort of boneheadedness is the perfect setup for a ragtag band of murderhobos to fix things, with killing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Heck I’m still working to repurpose the D&D setting I made. Started out as a kind of fantasy Cold War with the good and bad countries separated by oceans on both sides. The bad country is a human supremacist kingdom where the elves (and maybe other non humans) are slaves, and the good country is kind of a coalition of regional governments pieced together from the remains of an ancient empire that was destroyed in a big firestorm.

Been writing a few things set there, which has involved making it less D&Dish and there are still a few things I haven’t settled.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was first exposed to D&D via red box basic, hosted games run by my dad, with family members as characters, and it was simultaneously awesome and terrible. I graduated to AD&D with a couple friends, although we played very infrequently (like once a year). As a teen I accumulated a big library of the orange-spine AD&D books, but was also playing the occasional game with other friends using basic or basic + expert.

I think I decided fairly early on that I was leveraging modules, and adding my own setting to them. I had Castle Caldwell And Beyond that I'd actually run a couple of times, plus over the years an occasional module purchase or gift most of which I never got a chance to run.

After making a few random world maps I think figured out that they were fun but pointless, because even if I somehow got a regular group going (very difficult because of my parents' joint custody, I did not have weekends available for my school friends) they were still never going to visit or explore a whole world map. So around the age of maybe 15 or 16 or so, I started just putting together my own dungeons, intentionally self-contained and intended to link to published modules plus the generic setting in the AD&D books.

I did generate a couple of proper settings, but that was much later, starting in my mid 20s, so around 2000 or so. Nothing especially interesting I'm afraid. I do have a ~20 page document introducing the setting for a game I ran with a few friends circa 2005ish, and then re-ran online with a handful of people a couple years later, but in both cases they never got much past the first two adventures before we broke up, and in retrospect it was terrible of me to inflict this background document on people just to play a couple of intro D&D games. I made up a new calendar, complex overlapping national currencies, some local history, a touch of national history that might matter to locals, detailed on a handful of different factions that mattered in the local area, and a pile of house rules for (by that point) 3.0.

I still have pretty much all my stuff, though. It's cool to go through my yellowing graph paper from the 1980s and try to decipher what the gently caress I was thinking at the time. Extremely clever poo poo like "nobody in antiquity ever used a decimal-based currency system, so for realism I will foist a bullshit complicated currency on my players" and "dungeon ecologies should make sense, so I will waste dozens of hours meticulously working out how this dungeon's denizens function as an interdependent, stable system, which the players will totally notice and appreicate as they carve a path through it by killing everything they encounter."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Halloween Jack posted:

That's what makes all the OSR attempts at "weird fantasy" so :geno: to me. Tidbits of Lovecraft/CA Smith and spaceships and robots are already integral to old-school D&D.

They aren't making Weird Fantasy stuff because they think that TSR D&D didn't have it, it's because they feel that WOTC D&D and Pathfinder have been lacking in the weird and exotic, so there's plenty of room in the market for that sort of thing and a lot of what they're putting out is great

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Not an "original character, do not steal" type of setting, but I remember we did a fusion of shadowrun and battletech because...elves piloting battlemechs was cool, I guess? In what's probably a classic element of trying too hard on a bad idea, I remember us devoting tons of time trying to make the rules work, but next to nothing about the actual adventures which were extremely mundane and uninventive. About the only actual play thing I remember was someone blowing up their battlemech after trying to cast a spell and suffering too much drain, which we had decided bled over into battlemech damage and then ignited the ammunition.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Covok posted:

I definitely have some awful maps lying around in old crates, worth a dig. The only one I remember off the top of my head:

I saw a cool-sounding word in a computer lab at school and designed a secret society of elves after them and had a logo and edgey OCs and all for

THE ETHERNET

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

They aren't making Weird Fantasy stuff because they think that TSR D&D didn't have it, it's because they feel that WOTC D&D and Pathfinder have been lacking in the weird and exotic, so there's plenty of room in the market for that sort of thing and a lot of what they're putting out is great

i think the point is more that aping old d&d stuff hardly qualifies as 'weird' within the pen and paper space

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Also as towards the question of RPG settings I thought up in High School, nothing much happened then in that regard, most of my setting brainstorming came much later, in fact I'm still coming up with new setting ideas, it's rare if I go more than a couple weeks without thinking of something, here's some recent ones in fact;

1.) Little People, Big City: inspired by an idea someone on RPGnet had years ago, the basic idea is that the Gnomes and other small fairy races have entered an Industrial/Magical Revolution and began building large cities in the midst of their forest home, so basically imagine turn of the 20th century New York City but most of it's inhabitants are under 2 feet in height and there's magic and all the other usual magical stuff around

2.) currently nameless post apocalyptic science fantasy setting: it's been several hundred/thousand years since a great cataclysm wiped out most of humanity and now a small colony of humans have been awakened from cryo-sleep and have begun to return to the surface, only to find it much changed, for the Great AI's that were charged with rebuilding the world had limited resources in terms of biodiversity to do so, having to modify the pets, livestock, and pests of humanity in order to achieve this goal, indeed they even used Human stock for many of their creations, so now the human colony must rebuild civilization in a world full of strange creatures, freakish mutants, dangerous ruins, mad robots, rival human colonies(for they weren't the first or last group to be awoken) and the strange whims of near godlike AI who haven't been properly maintained in centuries

3.) Dragon Fall: inspire by the concept of Whale Falls, in this setting the peaceful and always in flight Sky Dragons fall to the ground when they die, even the smallest of these behemoths is a mile or two in length and the largest ones can cover entire mountain ranges with their mass, as their corpses decompose over the course of centuries they attract and generate all sorts of life(much of it draconic in form due to exposure to the magic that leaks from the corpse), these Dragon Falls are great resources so people will send expeditions into them to gather these resources(think Monster Hunter meets Lost Planet with a touch of Bloodborne and Bioshock in the mix as well)

4.) currently unnamed modern fantasy/horror setting: this one is a bit more nebulous in nature at the moment, though a big influence on it are the Local 58 videos and those old commercials for Majora's Mask, as well as quite a bit of Bloodborne as well

Brother Entropy posted:

i think the point is more that aping old d&d stuff hardly qualifies as 'weird' within the pen and paper space

True, although the OSR stuff often goes further with it then most TSR stuff did

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Hey, I've just put out a new game over on itch!

​What Dreams is a collaborative storytelling game in which characters take on the roles of a lingering spirit, the will of the living world, and dreamers attempting to mediate the conflicts between the two. It delves into the smoke-filled liminal space between dreams and death and explores our relationships with the angry dead. What Dreams uses a playing card deck to help drive narrative and show the shifting balance of power between the forces at play.

Also, pretty much all of the settings I made when I was younger and far more stupid were basically D&D but with mechs, because mechs are cool and I had no idea how to do a game that wasn't D&D. I also tried to run a zombie game and a game inspired by LOST, all in D&D because why would I ever need a game besides D&D? I can run everything in D&D!!!!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Meinberg posted:

Hey, I've just put out a new game over on itch!

​What Dreams is a collaborative storytelling game in which characters take on the roles of a lingering spirit, the will of the living world, and dreamers attempting to mediate the conflicts between the two. It delves into the smoke-filled liminal space between dreams and death and explores our relationships with the angry dead. What Dreams uses a playing card deck to help drive narrative and show the shifting balance of power between the forces at play.

Also, pretty much all of the settings I made when I was younger and far more stupid were basically D&D but with mechs, because mechs are cool and I had no idea how to do a game that wasn't D&D. I also tried to run a zombie game and a game inspired by LOST, all in D&D because why would I ever need a game besides D&D? I can run everything in D&D!!!!

Honestly D&D with mecha is a fine idea, Japan has done dozens of shows that are basically that premise after all(and I'll have to fish up the links for it, but there's a good set of articles that make a strong case for using D&D rules for a mecha game)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah but you need to give everyone in the party the Mecha and the Mecha riding skills because on that media the people who don't do that quickly become relegated to helpless supporting cast when poo poo goes down

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

Yeah but you need to give everyone in the party the Mecha and the Mecha riding skills because on that media the people who don't do that quickly become relegated to helpless supporting cast when poo poo goes down

Lancer is already D&D 4E with a splash of Shadow of the Demon Lord, with mechs, so the work is like...70%, 80% done for you right there. Everyone gets a robot.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Desiden posted:

About the only actual play thing I remember was someone blowing up their battlemech after trying to cast a spell and suffering too much drain, which we had decided bled over into battlemech damage and then ignited the ammunition.

Someone exploding due to a single mistake and a cascade of mechanical consequences? Sounds like you nailed Shadowrun x Battletech.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Comedy Option: PF/3.5 hack where only the noncasters learn how to use and drive mechs period so the Wizard and Cleric gotta deal with the Putty Patrol while the Monk and Fighter beat the Kaiju

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Isn't that kinda how Basic and AD&D worked, where you really need a fighter to go toe-to-toe with the solo boss?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Comedy Option: PF/3.5 hack where only the noncasters learn how to use and drive mechs period so the Wizard and Cleric gotta deal with the Putty Patrol while the Monk and Fighter beat the Kaiju

good news, there's rules for mecha in Ultimate Combat

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

to clarify here's the articles I was talking about;

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/07/osr-flame-pomerium-or-giant-mecha-fights.html

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/07/osr-flame-pomerium-part-2-giant-mecha.html

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/07/osr-flame-pomerium-part-3-giant-mecha.html

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/07/osr-flame-pomerium-how-to-run-giant.html

the basic concept is that for the Mecha scale stuff rather than making a bunch of new systems to handle it, one can just take the standard mechanics and use them for the Mecha scale, with various minor tweaks as needed, which is one of the reasons the author wrote these up primarily for use in OSR systems, as those are light enough and easily modifiable enough to pull off this sort of thing, or to quote the author on this point;

Someone suggested a Mecha OSR game. I thought about it for a few seconds, sketched out the "usual" kind of system: upgrade slots, damage rules, a critical table. Then I realized I was being an idiot. Everything I could ever want was already there, in the rules. All I needed to do was change the scale.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

https://twitter.com/PlayParanoia/status/1113471219750166528?s=19

I'll be content if it's passable.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
This has got to be useful for somebody. PWYW

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/271480/Antonia-Lupris-Ravenloft-Cookbook?affiliate_id=82663

Antonia Lúpri's Ravenloft Cookbook

quote:

A Ravenloft supplement that contains 23 different recipes for Food and Cocktails which you can prepare yourself for your players! Start with a Deep fried crawling claws appetizer or the Azalin's Salad and finish your meal with an Intellect Devourer Flambé! But be careful! Antonia, while being a great cook, is cursed! Every meal she draws with her magical brush has a negative side-effect for the one that eats it! But don't worry! The coin has two sides! Antonia is so passionate when cooking/drawing your food that her positive energy pours into it to give it a positive side-effect as well! So what are you waiting for? Enter the Cornucopia Tavern and taste the dread!

This supplement was created by Mistfactor Press for the Dungeon Masters Guild as
an April Fool's product. Some parts of this content are not designed for use in regular games and may affect overall balance and gameplay. Take caution when using this material.

It is recommended that you run this supplement in Ravenloft Barovia. The PCs will meet Antonia Lúpri, a female halfling who could not decide between cooking and drawing so she chose both. This supplement contains her cookbook with actual recipes for food and drinks, you can prepare yourself, for your players to taste, a menu handout with all the delicacies that you can print and
share and some interesting quest ideas.

This supplement can be easily implemented into any campaign without restrictions of location,
Antonia’s tavern can be found wherever the DM desires to place it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man if you're gonna do the cutesy "let's have some grilled minotaur meat, tee hee, it's steak you guys" thing then you better loving commit and rename all your herbs and spices into elvenweed, sourleaf and fireberries otherwise you just frontin'.

"Add finely ground savourstone to taste [sub: salt]"

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The idea that grilled minotaur is more cow than human seems wrong to me. Eating Minotaur is just... don't. Please don't.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Welcome to our Glorantha game, help yourselves to the grilled duck breast.

you fool, you've doomed us all

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

My Lovely Horse posted:

Welcome to our Glorantha game, help yourselves to the grilled duck breast.

you fool, you've doomed us all

I’m pretty sure there is a glorantha cookbook in the works.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

I´ll be honest, it´s made by Cyanide, at best it´s going to be passable.
They´re not known for quality, but their high-concepts are interesting
to watch, once they get to burning to the ground.

Still, nice to see the dark comedy value kept in the game.
If the trailer is any indication, it´s going to be isometric singleplayer?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Covok posted:

Since we were all noobz once, what was the setting y'all made when you are just getting started dming that you totally thought was awesome until you realized it was crap? You know what I'm talkin about. That's setting y'all made back in high school and totally thought you were hot poo poo for doing so.

Mine was Suddera. And the only thing I can remember about it was that the Cybermen were in it with a high tech empire despite being mediveal. Also, the elves would turn their criminals into elves as punishment and Dwarves did everything. Dwarfs made the dragons, Dwarves made the Cybermen, etc. And there was a war and then the dragons and Cybermen turned on them. And I don't remember anything about the humans.

Actually, I found my old notes and I put them on Google Docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R30E5vZf499R2bfkw-kartm22WhsMiPA-xu3Fa14gaA/edit?usp=drivesdk

Doubt I could find the notes now, but I once had a setting where the world was a cube where every face had radically different technology levels and populations. One was your standard fantasy land where everyone thought the world was flat because no one had ever tried going over the edge. Another was full of modern people, who had realized that gravity would re-orient anything that went over but tried to avoid interfering with the development of the other faces. Maybe I'll talk more if I remember or find my old notebooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Agent Rush posted:

Doubt I could find the notes now, but I once had a setting where the world was a cube where every face had radically different technology levels and populations. One was your standard fantasy land where everyone thought the world was flat because no one had ever tried going over the edge. Another was full of modern people, who had realized that gravity would re-orient anything that went over but tried to avoid interfering with the development of the other faces. Maybe I'll talk more if I remember or find my old notebooks.

And thus was born the Time Cube.