Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

mllaneza posted:

If only there was some way to store electric power for later use !

If batteries were efficient enough to store energy on that scale electric cars would have replaced gas in like 1970.

e:

mllaneza posted:

Large-scale electric power storage is not in batteries. The two most common are:

* Load an electric locomotive up with cars full of sand, run it up a hill while the grid is oversupplied, bring it back down with regenerative braking to put power back into the grid.
* Use electric power to pump water uphill3. When the grid needs power let it run back downhill through turbines, generating power to put into the grid.

This isn't trivial either. Especially there aren't a lot of potential sites for large scale pumped hydropower that aren't either (1) already in use or (2) something on the level of flooding hetch hetchy.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Is this an episode of Sliders where you are from a different Earth where Gore won in 2000 or something?

You're thinking of The One

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 4, 2019

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

mllaneza posted:

Large-scale electric power storage is not in batteries. The two most common are:

* Load an electric locomotive up with cars full of sand, run it up a hill while the grid is oversupplied, bring it back down with regenerative braking to put power back into the grid.
* Use electric power to pump water uphill3. When the grid needs power let it run back downhill through turbines, generating power to put into the grid.

pumped hydro is ~95% of global energy storage. the trains thing isn't in the same league. it's just really hard to beat fifty million tonnes of water; all you need is a big valley and some spare dirt. this means the obvious, workable solution to the energy storage problem is to flood appalachia

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 4, 2019

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lol that dipshit to the right that steps forward like he's drawing a gun "Do I...Do I shoot the step?"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SocketWrench posted:

Lol that dipshit to the right that steps forward like he's drawing a gun "Do I...Do I shoot the step?"

Maybe he was going to euthanize McConnell like a horse that broke its leg

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

AOC is going to kill all the nation's cows by throwing them into windmills. Believe it, folks.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Btw, I was curious about how Trump's attempt to revitalize everyone's favorite and most patriotic form of energy (coal) was doing so far. From what I've read, Trump helped (if he did at all) increase the industry's job by whopping....two thousand since he took office. And this is the highest number I was able to find.

Also, it must have been a while since I've looked into this subject, cause I legitimately don't remember the entire industry's number being so pathetic. There's like only around 50k total, compared to over 250k for solar, and even wind is blowing (GET IT?) past it with almost 90k.

How the hell is that stupid industry so important again?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Mr Interweb posted:

It makes money for people who give him and Republicans money?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Mr Interweb posted:

Btw, I was curious about how Trump's attempt to revitalize everyone's favorite and most patriotic form of energy (coal) was doing so far. From what I've read, Trump helped (if he did at all) increase the industry's job by whopping....two thousand since he took office. And this is the highest number I was able to find.

Also, it must have been a while since I've looked into this subject, cause I legitimately don't remember the entire industry's number being so pathetic. There's like only around 50k total, compared to over 250k for solar, and even wind is blowing (GET IT?) past it with almost 90k.

Grandpaw did it

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Zesty posted:

It's shocking how many people even in this very thread took Barr 100% on his word.

But why would he lie???????????? He’d get caught!!!!!!!!!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It makes money for people who give him and Republicans money?

And jobs for people who will vote for him

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Mr Interweb posted:

AOC is going to kill all the nation's cows by throwing them into windmills. Believe it, folks.

Hell yeah.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Mr Interweb posted:

Because solar and wind are for sissies, and coal is dug out of the ground by MANLY men and burnt in MANLY factories.

No seriously, Republicans have gendered environmentalism and that's how we're in this situation. Toxic masculinity is literally the bedrock of all conservative thought.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

SocketWrench posted:

holy poo poo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SocketWrench posted:

:slick:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Needs a version where the gun in his pocket goes off.

Jyppe
Jun 13, 2007
For the Fireman!

mango sentinel posted:

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/cysticercosis/index.html

Gonna go with the CDC on this one, not the hypochondriac encyclopedia. When you eat larvae they mature in your digestive tract and do the regular tapeworm thing and you poop their eggs. Consuming the eggs is how you get larvae to burrow in your flesh.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/gen_info/faqs.html

How does infection occur in humans and animals?

When a human or animal eats meat that contains infective Trichinella cysts, the acid in the stomach dissolves the hard covering of the cyst and releases the worms. The worms pass into the small intestine and, in 1-2 days, become mature. After mating, adult females lay eggs. Eggs develop into immature worms, travel through the arteries, and are transported to muscles. Within the muscles, the worms curl into a ball and encyst (become enclosed in a capsule). The life cycle repeats when meat containing these encysted worms is consumed by another human or animal.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

RandomBlue posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttt *expanding forever*

Shifty Pony posted:

Its 2019, we use Surprised Pikachu now.

(Expanding into infinity can remain)

----------

Fister Roboto posted:

You're not helping him. Why aren't you helping him?
:vince:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

You're not helping him. And we both know drat well why.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/cysticercosis/index.html

Gonna go with the CDC on this one, not the hypochondriac encyclopedia. When you eat larvae they mature in your digestive tract and do the regular tapeworm thing and you poop their eggs. Consuming the eggs is how you get larvae to burrow in your flesh.

You’re issue here is that cystcerocosis isn’t trichinosis - it’s an infection of larval tapeworms that can travel outside the digestive system into other tissue. That’s caused by consuming tapeworm cysts, which can come from an infected human’s feces or from contaminated pork. Pigs can also be infected by eating infected human’s feces or cysts.

Trichinosis is a roundworm infection that’s endemic in pigs and only known to be transmitted from pigs to people, not person to person.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Wemus posted:

How is it that Kushner manages to look simultaneously clean cut and extremely weird
From a few pages back, but Kushner seems self aware enough of at least a tiny bit of how much of a loving stupid failson he is, but not self aware enough to not think that he can somehow overcompensate for it. So, still loving stupid, but with the added bonus of that deer-in-the-headlights look you only see in dipshits who think "Let me talk to your supervisor/manager" is some sort of magic spell and not (in most cases; there are exceptions) the cue to completely disregard whatever comes out of that person's piehole.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/1113647316186083329
https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/1113740936729833472

who could have possibly seen this twist coming!

surely when we get the actual report, we'll see greenwald, taibbi, and tracey promptly apologize if it turns out their tantrum about how trump is 100% exonerated isn't actually true

eke out fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 4, 2019

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I don't think the Mueller report will save America or anything, but why are these supposed leftists taking what Trump's appointee said about the report at face value, when he was appointed literally because the guy said the president can't crime?

That seems super loving stupid.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Is Mueller’s team really surprised that Barr pulled this bullshit?

I hope they expected this to happen but just gave Barr every opportunity to do the right thing (lol) before commencing with the leaks.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

sean10mm posted:

I don't think the Mueller report will save America or anything, but why are these supposed leftists taking what Trump's appointee said about the report at face value, when he was appointed literally because the guy said the president can't crime?

Because doing so gives them an excuse to dunk on the true enemy: the Judean People’s Front.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mind_Taker posted:

I hope they expected this to happen but just gave Barr every opportunity to do the right thing (lol) before commencing with the leaks.

They presumably know the House can ultimately subpoena them and just ask them what they wrote.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

sean10mm posted:

the most important thing in politics is 2019 is collecting ammo for internet fights so you can tell the people in your posting circles how wrong they were, and how you were the correct one

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Because coal is one of the few remaining jobs that's tied to specific locations and can't just be done anywhere. Which is important because as free trade deals and the rise of the internet have gradually made more and more jobs non-location-dependent, basically every loving job has moved either overseas or to major urban areas. The only jobs rural areas have left are the jobs that literally can't be done anywhere besides those rural areas, and resource extraction is one of the more prominent ones, especially since it's a long-term industry that's usually been there since the current miners' parents were young and has therefore taken on a generational flavor that makes it popular among the olds.

It may be pathetic, but it's a sign of how desperate these areas are that they're making a big deal about that small a number of jobs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

theflyingorc posted:

People keep saying this like it is obvious, but use of batteries at the kind of scale we're talking about isn't usually done, and has only been seriously attempted very recently that i can tell. It isn't as simple as "just use batteries", storing that kind of power for long periods of time is actually not a simple problem.

Well, you don't have to use actual batteries. Example: use the power to pump water uphill, then later release it into a hydropower facility.

edit: i was so beaten, sorry

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

Because doing so gives them an excuse to dunk on the true enemy: the Judean People’s Front.

As a member of the Judean People's Front, I just want to say that you and the other class traitors in the People's Front of Judea will be second against the wall, shortly after we kick out the Romans.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

Remember the pilot of Sliders where Hillary was president and it was a nightmare world? The concept of Trump being president was being Sliders.

We're living in a reality beyond what Sliders could imagine.

No, from what I remember the pilot was America lost the cold war in 1990 and went Stalinist.

The one where Hillary was President was a matriarchal world where women and men's roles were reversed and the joke was all the people in that world said the same things about Bill being a horrible harpy that were said about Hillary here.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Mind_Taker posted:

I mean, they designed their report to have easy, safe-to-leak summaries and just leaked this fact to the NYTs.

I don't think they were unprepared, I think they just don't want to admit that they assumed Barr was a fucker.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1113770514965725186 https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1113773525188395014 Trump awake.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sean10mm posted:

Because they hate libs more than the chuds.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

No, from what I remember the pilot was America lost the cold war in 1990 and went Stalinist.

Only the east coast goes Stalinist, the South goes nationalist with Rumsfeld and the northeast is a clusterfuck nominally led by Chomsky and can become crazy crusading literal Strasserites under bloodthirsty Bernard Sanders.

Oh wait no thats Red World.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh the report definitely has all sorts of evidence of crimes ‘n poo poo, they’re just never going to act on that information.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
lol must be a bad jobs report coming.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Zophar posted:

Every last person who took Barr at his word that the Mueller investigation was a wet fart is a loving moron.

Still waiting for Glenn Greenwald to personally eat poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

Oh the report definitely has all sorts of evidence of crimes ‘n poo poo, they’re just never going to act on that information.

Yeah, basically this. Like everything else with Trump, no one who's actually in the position to act on it is going to.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Aren't Barr and Mueller personal friends? Might have given the team the sense Barr wouldn't throw them under the bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1113771491466842114?s=20

*gasp*