Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I bought Celeste physically from Limited Run. Shipping out in late March. *Checks game collection, still no Celeste* Cool cool cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There's gonna be a fire sale!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1113804494125522946?s=19

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
whoa at low sales for a Toys-to-life game released in 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gonna buy the digital deluxe when it hits $10

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mahoning posted:

I bought Celeste physically from Limited Run. Shipping out in late March. *Checks game collection, still no Celeste* Cool cool cool.

I got this, Danmaku and Iconoclasts and Celeste is the only one that hasn't arrived. The physical version is supposed to have a shiny foil cover so I wonder if that's holding it up.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How could anyone possibly have foreseen a physical toy game doing poorly. How, I ask you.

If they totally detach the physical toy bullshit and just let people make whatever ships the engine will physically let them make, that could be an interesting buy at $10-$15 though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

If they totally detach the physical toy bullshit and just let people make whatever ships the engine will physically let them make, that could be an interesting buy at $10-$15.

They already let you buy the equipment as DLC packs so this isn't hard at all to do.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Skylanders did super well iirc

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Heath posted:

Yeah for a few years before the toys to life market crashed

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Heath posted:

The issue is that this stopped being true when the fad passed.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Castor Poe posted:

Thanks y'all,

We've decided to go with Overcooked 2 and are super excited to see if our relationship is strong enough to survive a cooking game.

It's metagame is surprisingly similar to real line cooking — communication is key, whether it's what you're firing for ticket order, what you need, when transitions are about to occur, coming up with a plan beforehand etc.

Similarly, people shut down when they're overwhelmed or the point of failure on the line just as you do in-game, if you can learn to stay humble and communicate through that it helps a lot. Plus it builds character :thumbsup:

I've 3 star'd 1 and 2 with my SO and it was like the first video game she ever played (ie her mechanics are horrible, she can hardly face the proper direction to pick things up etc.) so its definitely do-able even with garbage video gaming

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I do not regret buying StarLink at full price and everything else at half or more price off. I still need two pilots, and I may get the PS4 version when it goes clearance so I can get a physical Zenith.

I cannot for the life of me though figure out how to do all of it digitally because :negative:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Overcooked 1/2 is a 5-player game IMO. Four people to move the characters and one to plan and direct things.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's weird to see DQ in a non-Toriyama art style but it looks rad regardless

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Iron Crowned posted:

I cannot for the life of me though figure out how to do all of it digitally because :negative:

Don't you literally just buy some DLC package that gives it all to you for $60?

Anyway... it's a shame that the toy game fad has died. I think my kid would really enjoy Disney Infinity, but I missed the fire sale when it was buy 1 get 5 free at TRU or whatever

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Well I'm glad I got the digital version of Starlink! None of that plastic business.

I need to go back, I know they added a bunch of stuff, and I guess they'll be adding even more!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The worst thing about the physical version of Starlink is that you have to "check in" with each and every toy every week if you want to keep playing with them. Which strictly makes them worse than the digital version in every way. Almost forces you to buy the digital version AND the toy (if you actually want the toy) just to have the convenience.

I guess they did that to prevent a circle of friends from buying one set of toys and then sharing them around, but that was pretty wildly optimistic that anyone would care enough to do that.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I grabbed the physical version of Starlink when Newegg had it for $15 and sold the Arwing toy for the same amount on eBay.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I like the modular toy spaceships.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I like the modular toy spaceships.

:same:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Tayter Swift posted:

Overcooked 1/2 is a 5-player game IMO. Four people to move the characters and one to plan and direct things.

That would literally be too many cooks spoiling the broth, even 4 is too many.

I three starred all of Overcooked 2 with my nephew who is 1: competent at video games in his own right and 2: young and related to me therefore I didn’t feel bad about ordering him around

I tried a few levels with my girlfriend and very quickly gave up, because she combines being very competitive, getting frustrated when not immediately good at something and interpreting my frantic instructions as shouting at her, which created the perfect storm of ‘play this game if you want to hate each other’

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I will give Ubisoft this, making the game available digitally clearly made them more sales. Obviously they lost out some on people not buying the physical tat, but all in all I believe it must have payed off.
Only thing i find strange is that they didn't put it out on PC digitally only. Pretty sure plenty of people into space shooters there would enjoy it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

People only bought this game for Star Fox.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I took care of our 2 kids all day, then fired up the first Overcooked one night.

We played in a perfect fugue-state silence for like, 3 hours, only saying "stop" when one of us wanted to immediately reset a level because of a bad start. We max-starred like half the game, realized we were just doing exactly what we'd spent the entire day doing with the kids, and I sold it to a goon the next day.

I genuinely feel like we were playing it "wrong" because we were supposed to be communicating and laughing and joking on each other, but instead we went into that next level where we joylessly suplexed the game and ended up exhausted by it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
the secret to Overcooked is to spend half the time in serious git poo poo done mode and the other half falling into pits and bombarding each other with fish

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Huxley posted:

My wife and I took care of our 2 kids all day, then fired up the first Overcooked one night.

We played in a perfect fugue-state silence for like, 3 hours, only saying "stop" when one of us wanted to immediately reset a level because of a bad start. We max-starred like half the game, realized we were just doing exactly what we'd spent the entire day doing with the kids, and I sold it to a goon the next day.

I genuinely feel like we were playing it "wrong" because we were supposed to be communicating and laughing and joking on each other, but instead we went into that next level where we joylessly suplexed the game and ended up exhausted by it.

I'm trying to remember a game with which I've done this, because I know it happened, but I can't think of which one. I mean, it's happened with Minecraft, but that's like.... almost 7 years in of playing it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Over There posted:

Pretty much.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

Is that big mech Shadow of the Colossus / Contra game from the Gunman Clive guy out today? Mechstermination?

It just went up on the eshop ten minutes ago.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Over There posted:

People only bought this game for the awesome Arwing model.

FTFY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Over There posted:

And it really was a good idea. I've said before, but the Star Fox team act circles around the game's forgettable cast.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

If this were the case they would not be discontinuing the toys.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Over There posted:

I mean, wouldn't be shocking that the Arwing was popular and not much else.

I liked the Nadir and the Saturn, though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Over There posted:

Toys has more to do with retailers seeing the product not move. They don't care that a single product in the line did well. They see that as a fluke.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Tayter Swift posted:

That's a chef

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

thechalkoutline posted:

It's metagame is surprisingly similar to real line cooking — communication is key, whether it's what you're firing for ticket order, what you need, when transitions are about to occur, coming up with a plan beforehand etc.

This why it’s really brilliant. It perfectly captures the feeling of working a kitchen. There are things I miss about that work, and overcooked has them without all the bs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, wouldn't be shocking that the Arwing was popular and not much else.

I liked the Nadir and the Saturn, though.

The Nadir is good, but I also like the red race car shaped one. I also tend to just put the airwing wings one everything

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I visited an old high school friend I hadn't seen for awhile for a weekend and we ended up playing overcooked 2. Something magical happened and we synced up completely and three starred 2/3 of the game without even talking about the game, we just reminisced and drank beer and somehow managed to three star everything, which pissed off his wife. Evidently with communication they struggled to beat anything.

Such a funny game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope Nintendo takes note of Starlink as a dress rehearsal for Star Fox and lets that team do a more polished up, hopefully better framerate version on rails starring just Star Fox. Nintendo's been loving up Star Fox for like a decade so why not hand it off to the people who came closest to a Real StarFox Game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It doesn't even have to be on rails honestly. I enjoyed Starlink more than 64 because of its vast expansive world. Needs more enemy and boss variety, and some more on rail sections would be welcome but I think open world exploring the solar system is the way to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Guilty posted:

I visited an old high school friend I hadn't seen for awhile for a weekend and we ended up playing overcooked 2. Something magical happened and we synced up completely and three starred 2/3 of the game without even talking about the game, we just reminisced and drank beer and somehow managed to three star everything, which pissed off his wife. Evidently with communication they struggled to beat anything.

Such a funny game.
Goon sex is the worst