Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Biohazard posted:

Eh, people do dumb poo poo when grieving. poo poo, I'd guess tattoos while grieving is a significant portion of the profits of the both the tattoo and tattoo removal industries. Can't say I understand the notion of "getting more tattoos to distract from the creepy one. It's still going to be there. If you really want it gone, save up some dough and get it removed. Or find an artist to cover it up with something better.

Edit: They are both in their early 20's too, so yeah they are both dumb as poo poo.

There are plenty of people who go through traumatic experiences without getting horrific impulse tattoos. It's understandable and forgivable for sure, but I wouldn't leave major life choices up to them in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice
My ex deleted my BA thesis and underlying research off my computer. Due date is in 10 days. Do I have any recourse at all?
(self.legaladvice)
u/Thesis2019

Update-I need more help. My ex deleted my BA thesis and it’s due in 7 days
u/Thesis2019

Thesis goes in three places, not two, idiot.

take it from a guy who lost a discussion section to one of his papers once :negative:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice
My ex deleted my BA thesis and underlying research off my computer. Due date is in 10 days. Do I have any recourse at all?
(self.legaladvice)
u/Thesis2019

u/Thesis2019

This is why you keep multiple backups, not just one you email to yourself.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

areyoucontagious posted:

Thesis goes in three places, not two, idiot.

take it from a guy who lost a discussion section to one of his papers once :negative:

I think even as an idiot in college I knew well enough to make regular backup of everything. My roommate did have people spill a drink on his laptop right before thesis and lost some work. He had to take it to a data recovery place.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Three backups are of course better than two but I can't fault the guy for thinking that he was covered by having it stored to ~the cloud.~ It would take a malicious actor to defeat that sort of backup system and, well, look what happened.

His advisor is being a weenie by not giving the extension. I would do it if I'd been working with the student regularly (and thus knew that they were actually on track) and they told me the story and showed me a receipt from the data recovery place. It depends on the University, but one extra week at the end usually wouldn't prevent him from graduating in the same semester because of the timing of commencement. Even if it did, he could officially graduate at the end of the summer session and still maintain his fellowship for the subsequent fall.

Finally, if everything does get hosed up, he could always sue his ex at least for the cost of an additional semester of school, and maybe also the lost value of the fellowship.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
unironic victim blaming :waycool:

I am genuinely curious if there is any legal recourse. It's a crime for him to access her email without authorization, even if it's logged in on the computer, but that doesn't do anything to make her whole. Can an undergrad thesis be considered to have monetary value?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for expecting more than half the pizza?

quote:

I'm going to order a pizza tomorrow. My wife doesn't really like me getting pizza because it's unhealthy, and it's expensive here in Japan. I get that, but it's a taste of my home country that I love, as she knows. I found a coupon and she gave me permission to buy it and bring it back for our dinner tomorrow. I'm going to order a large not because it's a good value but because I like eating a lot of pizza.

Sounds great, right? But she says half of the pizza is mine, half is hers. I do not agree to this, but she expects it. I am taller and bigger than her. I eat more than her. I think 60% mine, 40% hers is a fair ratio given our respective bodies. I've brought this up before, but she has repeatedly demanded that she deserves half the pie, as we are supposed to be equals.

I order pizza about 4 times a year. I also take her to a nice sushi place 4 times a year, because I know that she really likes it. I order cheap plates off the kid's menu, because that's my taste in sushi. I encourage her to order the expensive plates with nice fish because I know she'll appreciate it.

She still insists on half the pizza being hers. My plan as always is to let her eat her fill, which will surely be less than half of the pizza, then eat the remainder of her self-declared half until I myself am full and satisfied. She will have to eat natto for breakfast the next day instead of leftover pizza, and I don't plan to feel bad about it.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here?

EDIT: Thanks for all the advice so far. I don't agree with all of it, but I appreciate it and am bringing it on board. I have been working on communicating better with my wife tonight (pizza night is tomorrow, so there's still time to improve this situation). As of now, she agrees that maybe it's worth the cost for me to get a large all of my own, and her a small of her own, despite the steep costs.

Apparently a large pizza in his area normally costs 3500 yen or about $35, and they don't own a "proper" oven to bake their own.

Still a lot of pettiness going on between these two.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Comradephate posted:

I am genuinely curious if there is any legal recourse. It's a crime for him to access her email without authorization, even if it's logged in on the computer, but that doesn't do anything to make her whole. Can an undergrad thesis be considered to have monetary value?

unless she doused the keyboard in lady seamen, and even then, no CSI poo poo will be possible for recourse

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA for making fun of my boyfriend's penis
Upfront, my boyfriend has an awesome penis. Its not huge or anything, about seven inches (we measured) and fairly girthy- but it is really, really- even comically small when its flaccid (like 2 inches). In the privacy our relationship, I playfully make fun of it all the time and he doesn't mind because he knows that he pleases me in bed. However, he has complained in the past about how much he hates "locker room moments" when other dudes see it and assume he is hung like a grape even though he is not.

So the other night we were having dinner with friends and played a game where we pull word cues out of a hat. One of the cues was something like, "things that are short" and I write down, "my boyfriend's penis". They were all read aloud and when its revealed that I wrote that particular answer the room explodes in laughter. My boyfriend tries to brush it off "oh you got me! Ha ha" and laughs with everyone else, then one of my boyfriend's male friends (who he goes to the gym with) slaps him on the back and tells him "oh we've all seen it, we still love you, bro!" more laughter.

After we get back to his place, my boyfriend tells me that it bothers him that his friends think of him as the small guy because all they had seen is his flaccid penis in the locker room. He said that they've made fun of him in the past and he has had to brush it off for years because he feels that denying it would make a bigger deal out of it than it is and has to silently take it. He said that by making that joke, all I have done was reinforce the perception and that it will just fuel the teasing. He wasn't mad, just disappointed. He said that he would never make fun of me if I had something unappealing about my body because he would never want to give me a negative impression about myself, that he would tell me I was beautiful no matter what.

I felt really, really bad when he said that. I have apologized and things are fine now but I think that maybe he is blowing this out of proportion? Am I the rear end in a top hat or should he maybe not take this so seriously?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for refusing to donate sperm for my sister and her wife?

quote:

Background, I'm 25, my sister is 30 and her partner is also 30. Obviously, my sister is a lesbian. I am also gay (how lucky are our parents haha) We are extremely close, always have been, she's always been there for me and want the best for her. So my sister got married to her partner last year. I'm obviously happy for them and hope they achieve everything they want together, but recently I got caught in a dilemma. During a dinner I was invited to, big sis told me that she wants to start a family, and asked me to donate sperm so they could get pregnant (I'm just gonna emphasise here, the sperm would be going into my sister in-law, NOT my sister). To her this was the best idea, since this way their baby would have both their genes, just a roundabout way of ensuring that they're both biologically related to the kid. She went on about how this'll be perfect and how she'd be so grateful if I helped her, I think in her mind, I of course would say yes.. but I'm really, uncomfortable with the whole idea. I thought about it intensely overnight, and I hate it.

It's not that I don't want her to have kids or think she shouldn't. She'd be a great mom, but, I also have a huge desire to have kids one day. I really wanna be a dad, and the thought of being the father of a child that is being raised by another couple, while I'm just left with the status of uncle.. really hurts. If I'm gonna father a child, I wanna be 100% involved in the kids life, I wanna experience fatherhood, in all its ups and downs, that's my dream. I know it sounds silly and also counters the whole gay thing, trust me I had huge issues with accepting my sexuality because of that, but that's how I feel. And I know I could donate sperm now and still have children of my own later on, I'd probably say yes to her request if I already had a kid, but I don't. I might never have the chance to be a dad in my life, since adoption is a strict, lengthly and expensive process, and surrogacy isn't legal in my country (but ivf for lesbian couples is). Its probably a bunch of stupid reaaons, but to me, never having children hurts less than having a child that I won't be a dad to.

So, I said no to her, and it pretty much blew up in my face. She's calling me selfish and unreasonable. I explained how I feel but she's accusing me of being jealous of her, of internalised homophobia, and pretty much denying her a family. She's really upset with me and I hate making her cry like that. I'm sure she didn't mean a lot of what she said, but I guess the parts about me being selfish and unreasonable are kinda true, since, I have an infinite supply of sperm and can still have kids and she only needs a sample. Maybe I am just being an unreasonable dick for rejecting her in her time of need and after all she's done for me. Logically I think I should put my feelings aside..

Am I just being an unreasonable rear end in a top hat here?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Just how dumb do you have to be to not realize that telling a bunch of people that your boyfriend has a small penis won't go over well with him?

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Comradephate posted:

Not really blaming him for the situation, which does suck. Totally not his fault this his ex is crazy. I just don't get why, in 2019, you'd have something so important stored 100% locally. A google drive account is pretty basic to set up and store things on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for expecting more than half the pizza?

Apparently a large pizza in his area normally costs 3500 yen or about $35, and they don't own a "proper" oven to bake their own.

Still a lot of pettiness going on between these two.

A japanese home/apartment with an actual oven large enough to handle an american pizza is relatively rare and yeah even a dominos pizza could run you that here.

The issue is he writes like hes 6 years old and even though in his writing his wife is being unreasonable I hate him so much and want him to stop writing and believe hes probably in the wrong and his wife should be meaner to him.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Power Khan posted:

Lol, you blew it lady

Tell your boyfriend the best way to get rid of runors of his dick size is to have a gay orgy with his friends

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

Just how dumb do you have to be to not realize that telling a bunch of people that your boyfriend has a small penis won't go over well with him?

Pretty dumb apparently lol.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Things that are loose and smell bad

YOUR oval office

Like an old gumboot HAHAHAHAHAaaaaahaha!

What? How dare you're angry with me!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

Dumb, but clearly not so dumb as to be illiterate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Biohazard posted:

Not really blaming him for the situation, which does suck. Totally not his fault this his ex is crazy. I just don't get why, in 2019, you'd have something so important stored 100% locally. A google drive account is pretty basic to set up and store things on.

for gently caress's sake he said like three times that he continuously emailed versions of it to himself (presumably this means a Gmail account) as a backup. The ex knew this and went into his email account and deleted all of his emails as well as the original document on his hard drive.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

for gently caress's sake he said like three times that he continuously emailed versions of it to himself (presumably this means a Gmail account) as a backup. The ex knew this and went into his email account and deleted all of his emails as well as the original document on his hard drive.

Oh, my bad. I misread it as the interviews themselves were in the email, not the entire thesis. I concede the point.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Power Khan posted:

I wanna know the ages here

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for refusing to donate sperm for my sister and her wife?

Totally not the rear end in a top hat. I'd be pretty uncomfortable with the idea as well. Some people wouldn't be, and that's fine. But to me it'd be too much to hang around a kid that I knew I was the father of.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

CheesyDog posted:

r/legaladvice
(self.legaladvice)
u/Thesis2019

u/Thesis2019

I don't get it, why not just turn in Copy of Thesis_Final_edited_final_2019-03-31_final (2)(1).doc

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'll be the dick stats weirdo and volunteer that boneless he's first percentile, while traditional style he's 97th. Truly a grower for the record books.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

MightyJoe36 posted:

If my Italian relatives are any indication, Northern Italians don't even consider Southern Italians to be white.

Even WASPs—the Americans most concerned with which Europeans are white and which aren’t—basically accept all Italians as white these days. Now, Greeks, well, the jury’s still out.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I was under the impression "which Europeans are white" was not a European or American thing so much as an internet weirdo one.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Scathach posted:

Is it bad I want to tell him I'm going to start wiping his piss up with his pillow if he doesn't clean it tf up?

I know, I know, I'd be the rear end in a top hat because he's just a kid.

Get a disposable pillow and an extra pillowcase which looks similar enough that you can terrify him while it happens, then he realizes he's been had when you send him to his room.

Being a good parent means knowing when to show your child how the world treats assholes. If nothing else succeeds, terror, at least, is memorable.

YaketySass posted:

I was under the impression "which Europeans are white" was not a European or American thing so much as an internet weirdo one.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooope. I'm a honky rear end honky but my last name ends in a vowel which is enough to setoff alarm bells in every senile old oval office I've ever tried renting from. I have had people darker than me refuse to rent because they're afraid my extremely Italian last name means I'm an Iranian spy.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 4, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pirate Radar posted:

Even WASPs—the Americans most concerned with which Europeans are white and which aren’t—basically accept all Italians as white these days. Now, Greeks, well, the jury’s still out.

It's p funny given thanks to Hollywood everyone thinks ancient Greece and Rome were inhabited by statuesque aryans when every indication is that they looked more or less the same as they do now.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Gummy bears claim another victim

AITA because my boyfriend's (21) grandma (85) ate some of my cannabis edibles?
I live in a state with legal marijuana. I left some gummy bears in my and my boyfriends bedroom like I always do because we live alone. He brought his grandma over while I worked (I do nights) and came home around 6 am to an empty house. Come to find out, my boyfriend took her to the emergency room because she started behaving strangely and believed she was having some kind of panic or heart attack. They are still at the hospital now because they admitted her to find out what's wrong.

I got home and ate a gummy and noticed that only 6 of the 9 I had were still there. Three gummys is enough to trip balls and I'm pretty sure that it was her bc my boyfriend is in the military and can't smoke or eat edibles. I know if I tell him he's gonna be mad so im making this post preemptively. AITA for leaving these gummies in my own nightstand even if they possibly caused this fiasco?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

quote:

I order pizza about 4 times a year. I also take her to a nice sushi place 4 times a year, because I know that she really likes it. I order cheap plates off the kid's menu, because that's my taste in sushi. I encourage her to order the expensive plates with nice fish because I know she'll appreciate it.

:lol:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

YaketySass posted:

no it's pretty easy, all europeans are white apart from the finns who are mongolian and georgians who are elves

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Power Khan posted:

I live in a state with legal marijuana. I left some gummy bears in my and my boyfriends bedroom like I always do because we live alone. He brought his grandma over while I worked (I do nights) and came home around 6 am to an empty house. Come to find out, my boyfriend took her to the emergency room because she started behaving strangely and believed she was having some kind of panic or heart attack. They are still at the hospital now because they admitted her to find out what's wrong.

I got home and ate a gummy and noticed that only 6 of the 9 I had were still there. Three gummys is enough to trip balls and I'm pretty sure that it was her bc my boyfriend is in the military and can't smoke or eat edibles. I know if I tell him he's gonna be mad so im making this post preemptively. AITA for leaving these gummies in my own nightstand even if they possibly caused this fiasco?

Sneaky sneaky grandma.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Power Khan posted:

How could you not grandma-proof your bedroom?

Sorry that your square-rear end army man boyfriend didn't know to cook her grilled cheese with hot dogs and put on Turner Classic Movies for her

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If those gummies were in the nightstand grandma is a real nosy rear end guest.

I know, right? The only thing he should be looking for from reddit is a kaishakunin

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Power Khan posted:

What the hell was she thinking just leaving her edibles lying around when she knew there was going to be an old lady there? Real irresponsible of her to not old lady-proof her apartment beforehand, everyone knows they get into everything if you give them the chance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Whorelord posted:

no it's pretty easy, all europeans are white apart from the finns who are mongolian and georgians who are elves

When you get the Balkans involved it becomes a hilarious international pissing contest involving ancient and modern grudges and internet randoms being racist against particular ethnic groups that most people don't even know existed, with outsiders generally cheering on all sides indiscriminately.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I haven't really seen much difference between italians, greeks and spaniards when I traveled to those places. They all look like white or tanned europeans with dark hair being more common

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

I don't get it, why not just turn in Copy of Thesis_Final_edited_final_2019-03-31_final (2)(1).doc

Check sent mail and previous versions in Windows (not sure if that's a thing on an normal PC or not....
Poor guy should def talk with Dean though.
Sucks he has no other versions I feel like I'd have it backed up on thumb drive and email and local PC.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When you get the Balkans involved it becomes a hilarious international pissing contest involving ancient and modern grudges and internet randoms being racist against particular ethnic groups that most people don't even know existed, with outsiders generally cheering on all sides indiscriminately.

when i first heard about the macedonia name dispute is one of the funniest things i've ever heard.

if i was less drunk i would've told the greek guy that it was rightful iranian land anyway

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

YaketySass posted:

That kind of discrimination may be much less common today, but we only have to go a few decades back to see Italians and even the fookin' Irish in America to be considered "off-white" at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Greeks are Turks and Turks are Greeks.

They're basically impossible to tell apart after centuries of the ottoman empire. Eastern Turkey is basically the opening scene of Borat, but with mountains, longer knives and more gunfire.