Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Your Gender is: Rogue Telnet Service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

pseudorandom name posted:

does Mint still just ask you for your bank password?

Oh boy, I guess you haven't heard of Plaid yet.

Everyone's bank passwords, all in one convenient place!

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

pseudorandom name posted:

does Mint still just ask you for your bank password?

it still does for chase, but they do some sort of store a token from chase thing to access chase's api. the rest...

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

gender as a service

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

I'm the transaction in a http GET.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Digital Gender Management

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

random seed genderator

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

flakeloaf posted:

random seed genderator

make sure it has a good source of gendropy

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pseudorandom posted:

Oh boy, I guess you haven't heard of Plaid yet.

Everyone's bank passwords, all in one convenient place!

lol if your online banking uses a web password, rather than a hardware token like banks in first world countries

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Soricidus posted:

lol if your online banking uses a web password, rather than a hardware token like banks in first world countries

if I have to use a hardware token how do I log in on my phone so I can take pictures of cheques to cash them in 3 business days or less huh smartass :colbert:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Had an interesting meeting with a cybersec researcher yesterday and apparently:
- cybercrime is now a 1.3 trillion dollar industry
- the official word from interpol is that they don't give a gently caress about any amount less than 1 million dollars being stolen electronically and they have no known way of tracking individuals so as long as every individual amount stolen is less than that you're gucci
- the biggest emerging threat to business is literally randomly invoicing people and something called ego-phishing, which is where you send out invites for speaking arrangements at conferences (with a one time administration fee of course).

computers make you stupid, i guess. He went through a bunch of the most sophisticated attacks he'd seen and they were all variations of "make user click this button that owns all their poo poo"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

if I have to use a hardware token how do I log in on my phone so I can take pictures of cheques to cash them in 3 business days or less huh smartass :colbert:
I somehow hadn't even thought about how absurd it is to be taking pictures of checks as a way to transfer money in 2019.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

abigserve posted:

- the official word from interpol is that they don't give a gently caress about any amount less than 1 million dollars being stolen electronically and they have no known way of tracking individuals so as long as every individual amount stolen is less than that you're gucci
- the biggest emerging threat to business is literally randomly invoicing people and something called ego-phishing, which is where you send out invites for speaking arrangements at conferences (with a one time administration fee of course).

computers make you stupid, i guess. He went through a bunch of the most sophisticated attacks he'd seen and they were all variations of "make user click this button that owns all their poo poo"

brb stealing $999,999 from everyone and everything

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Boiled Water posted:

brb stealing $999,999 from everyone and everything

hacking off big honkin chunks of salami with a cleaver

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

abigserve posted:

the fake invoice thing seems funny to me because it seems like the only thing that that guy did that was illegal was misrepresenting himself. what would happen if i sent a company a bill from myself and an llc i whipped up or whatever charging 25k for consulting fees? i have lots of opinions. i can give some more for free if they feel like they didnt get their moneys worth the first time.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

at my last company we had a physical fax machine as late as tyool 2015 because the CFO was terrified of these newfangled fax services that do it all online (after all what if we miss an important fax!) so we had to keep it constantly stocked with paper and ink cartridges because 99.9% of the poo poo it printed was spam. i generally cleaned up whatever it printed because nobody else cared and some of that spam was fun insane screeds against The Gays or w/e by crazy people.

anyway i remember nearly every scam letter that thing printed out was in the form of a fake invoice like that, and at the time i thought it was real weird because what the hell business would just pay a random bill for something they have no record of. like often it wasn't ambiguous maybe-you-had-this service poo poo, it was things like invoices for large purchases or loan payments or things like that.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

my bitter bi rival posted:

the fake invoice thing seems funny to me because it seems like the only thing that that guy did that was illegal was misrepresenting himself. what would happen if i sent a company a bill from myself and an llc i whipped up or whatever charging 25k for consulting fees? i have lots of opinions. i can give some more for free if they feel like they didnt get their moneys worth the first time.

first they have to detect that your invoice isn’t for a job done, which is where most companies fall flat because who knows where and who had a consultant

the biggest mistake you could make is making the invoice too small, dousing suspicion

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
we've gotten those fake invoices sent to our head of finance with the body text and headers faked to look like it was coming from the ceo, they're pretty slick

burning swine
May 26, 2004

on a couple of occasions I've been pretty steamed that I had to spend loads of my own time troubleshooting some for-profit company's lovely software and mailed them an invoice for my time, as a pointless but amusing statement.

one of them just cut me a check without question :banjo:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

first they have to detect that your invoice isn’t for a job done, which is where most companies fall flat because who knows where and who had a consultant

the biggest mistake you could make is making the invoice too small, dousing suspicion

right, but i just mean from a legal perspective, should it fly under the radar and billing pays it out, as long as you're not lying about who the bill is from (like the guy in the link did), is anything actually illegal? i am dumb as hell about legal stuff so i really dont know.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

DELETE CASCADE posted:

we've gotten those fake invoices sent to our head of finance with the body text and headers faked to look like it was coming from the ceo, they're pretty slick

We get those as well. The most sophisticated actors will either buy a compromised email server or try to first compromise a legitimate-but-poorly-run business and then use it as jumping off point. We had a office supply invoice that looked identical to a real one, except it was for chairs that never existed. But this is apparently way too much work for most and it's equally as effective to send a wide lovely net

The other interesting thing was how much he stressed that, based on the outcomes of their research, they had determined without a shadow of a doubt that there existed multiple large entities out of only a small number of countries that were hacking people for no reason other than to cause political destabilization and globally, nobody seems to care about this

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

right, but i just mean from a legal perspective, should it fly under the radar and billing pays it out, as long as you're not lying about who the bill is from (like the guy in the link did), is anything actually illegal? i am dumb as hell about legal stuff so i really dont know.

Yes that's called fraud because your intent is just to get money out of them for nothing but IDK IANAL YMMV. Generally they'll realize the error and ask for the money back if it's enough to mess up the books for a month/quarter/year.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you already deposited it maybe it would be best to just write them a check returning the money and include a note saying that the invoice was a mistake?

If you didn't deposit it, probably better not to do so?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ewiley posted:

Yes that's called fraud because your intent is just to get money out of them for nothing but IDK IANAL YMMV. Generally they'll realize the error and ask for the money back if it's enough to mess up the books for a month/quarter/year.

ah did they not get my consulting report? silly me, here it is,

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

abigserve posted:

The false invoice scam is not new. When fax machines first came out people were faxing false invoices and demands for payment. Even better is half the time local cops say it is a civil matter and won’t get involved. You don’t even need
technology I am sure as soon as letter post became a thing false invoices were being sent around.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

ah did they not get my consulting report? silly me, here it is,

And they also misplaced the contract they signed to pay you? I think felony larceny starts at something absurdly low in many states (Virginia is $200!), so I wouldn't recommend this particular scam.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Varkk posted:

The false invoice scam is not new. When fax machines first came out people were faxing false invoices and demands for payment. Even better is half the time local cops say it is a civil matter and won’t get involved. You don’t even need
technology I am sure as soon as letter post became a thing false invoices were being sent around.

There are ancient Mesopotamian clay tablets complaining about copper sellers or something billing for shipments that didn't exist.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

this is such a galaxy brain take lol. i put my real name on the invoice, no fraudsies!!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is such a galaxy brain take lol. i put my real name on the invoice, no fraudsies!!

Galaxy brain is listing them as a client on your website afterwards

mystes
May 31, 2006

Send another invoice for the security audit you performed by sending them the first fake invoice

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

mystes posted:

Send another invoice for the security audit you performed by sending them the first fake invoice

This is the smart approach right here

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The finance version of the guy who shoves a "free" CD into your hand than aggressively demands $20 for his autograph

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Volmarias posted:

The finance version of the guy who shoves a "free" CD into your hand than aggressively demands $20 for his autograph

I went to NYC once and being an idiot tourist from the middle of nowhere this poo poo caught me off guard.

Also the loving gypsy cabs that helpfully grab your suitcase immediately before you even know whats going on.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol if you even make eye contact with or talk to random people in the street in NYC. Assume everyone is a crazy person or scam artist until proven otherwise.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mystes posted:

Lol if you even make eye contact with or talk to random people in the street in NYC. Assume everyone is a crazy person or scam artist until proven otherwise.

i definitely want to be approached by someone in a public space in los angeles or san francisco. this probably won’t be a tedious interaction with a nutjob crying sadbrain marxist, guy from calpirg telling me to buy organic and save the planet, free sample of the ramayana or whatever only it’s just a sample it really costs 30 dollars, wants my pocket change to get beack to berkeley because he or she can’t walk the mile from the asby bart back to downtown berkeley. this person probalby doesn’t smell like a garbage pail. this person probably isn’t going to stab me, rifle through my pockets, and take my crumpled up tea bag from trader joe’s brand tea and a couple quarters. this person isn’t probably going to interupt my few blessed seconds on silence away from the constant onslaught of abject, depressing stupidity which is constantly beamed at and solely directed at me by a malicious, malevolent god and his obese, perverse, and sadistic minions (other people). this complete stranger approaching me in a public space in the cities of los angeles or san francisco will probably lead to a life long friendship.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Varkk posted:

Apparently it's big time on the rise and has usurped all other forms of attack for campaigns that are monetarily motivated

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

mystes posted:

see I didn't know this because I'm a shut in nerd that lives in the middle of absolute nowhere

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Methanar posted:

see I didn't know this because I'm a shut in nerd that lives in the middle of absolute nowhere

dsyp

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

i definitely want to be approached by someone in a public space in los angeles or san francisco. this probably won’t be a tedious interaction with a nutjob crying sadbrain marxist, guy from calpirg telling me to buy organic and save the planet, free sample of the ramayana or whatever only it’s just a sample it really costs 30 dollars, wants my pocket change to get beack to berkeley because he or she can’t walk the mile from the asby bart back to downtown berkeley. this person probalby doesn’t smell like a garbage pail. this person probably isn’t going to stab me, rifle through my pockets, and take my crumpled up tea bag from trader joe’s brand tea and a couple quarters. this person isn’t probably going to interupt my few blessed seconds on silence away from the constant onslaught of abject, depressing stupidity which is constantly beamed at and solely directed at me by a malicious, malevolent god and his obese, perverse, and sadistic minions (other people). this complete stranger approaching me in a public space in the cities of los angeles or san francisco will probably lead to a life long friendship.

man I bet you’re fun at parties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

yea babe yeah just having the normal one with the guys. i definitely want to be approached by someone in a public space in los angeles or san francisco. this probably won’t be a tedious interaction with a nutjob crying sadbrain marxist, guy from calpirg telling me to buy organic and save the planet, free sample of the ramayana or whatever only it’s just a sample it really costs 30 dollars, wants my pocket change to get beack to berkeley because he or she can’t walk the mile from the asby bart back to downtown berkeley. this person probalby doesn’t smell like a garbage pail. this person probably isn’t going to stab me, rifle through my pockets, and take my crumpled up tea bag from trader joe’s brand tea and a couple quarters. this person isn’t probably going to interupt my few blessed seconds on silence away from the constant onslaught of abject, depressing stupidity which is constantly beamed at and solely directed at me by a malicious, malevolent god and his obese, perverse, and sadistic minions (other people). this complete stranger approaching me in a public space in the cities of los angeles or san francisco will probably lead to a life long friendship. anyway what do you want for lunch