Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
btw, did you know edge was an epub reader?

no, you didn't, don't lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Didn't windows 10 originally have a really good pdf reader built in and then they killed it so people would start using edge instead?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

mystes posted:

Didn't windows 10 originally have a really good pdf reader built in and then they killed it so people would start using edge instead?

Yes

mystes
May 31, 2006

Can they bring it back now that edge is being chromified?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

didn't the built-in supposedly "good" Windows PDF reader only support one open PDF at a time and if you opened a second it replaced the first?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Chill Callahan posted:

Anybody else think Satya Nadella is doing a bad job running Microsoft?

Not really. Windows 10 is fine tbh

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Amethyst posted:

lol no

it's demonstrably worse than windows 7 and they can't release a windows 10 patch without it loving up every computer that applies it

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Amethyst posted:

bad example. he's done his worst work in windows. the best decision he made in the last year was firing the leaders and splitting the wdg org.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the funniest thing microsoft did in recent years is try competing with chromebooks by pushing cheap windows licenses for laptops with 2gb ram and 30gb storage where the machine is constantly busy paging to disk and you can't install any windows updates because there's never enough free space

these machines are basicaly e-waste straight from the factory

pram
Jun 10, 2001

r u ready to WALK posted:

thats all windows computers tho

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

r u ready to WALK posted:

the funniest thing microsoft did in recent years is try competing with chromebooks by pushing cheap windows licenses for laptops with 2gb ram and 30gb storage where the machine is constantly busy paging to disk and you can't install any windows updates because there's never enough free space

weird they tried to compete, could've just waited three years for and google would've lost interest and killed the project

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

pseudorandom name posted:

didn't the built-in supposedly "good" Windows PDF reader only support one open PDF at a time and if you opened a second it replaced the first?

Yeah, it was just the lovely Windows 8 PDF reader.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
yesterday my work laptop's touchpad stopped working at a very inopportune time - I accidentally did something that turned it off in software. I keyboarded to touchpad settings and tried to toggle the touchpad back on. this did not work because that requires administrator privileges and my work, in its infinite wisdom, has not given me those. there was no keyboard shortcut or hardware toggle for the touchpad. Although there was a hidden synaptic tray icon, i could not open it via start menu or searching. restarting did not help. After I got a usb mouse, i opened the synaptic tray icon and found that the option "double tap to disable touchpad" was checked. Mystified, I double tapped the touchpad. Nothing. I tried double tapping with one, two, three, and four fingers. Nothing. Quite by accident, I realized that synaptic meant that you had to double tap on a specific part of the touchpad. then it worked.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
synaptic is real bad and if you use a laptop with synaptic drivers it's bad and you should stop and get something that wasn't designed by people who hate you

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

i thought synaptic was usually seen as better than alps, and those are pretty much your choices on a windows laptop?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

synaptic is "fine" assuming you've got the one model they build that uses the native windows drivers for everything. anything that requires synaptic software to function is dogshit garbage and almost certainly built like crap too

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

yesterday my work laptop's touchpad stopped working at a very inopportune time - I accidentally did something that turned it off in software. I keyboarded to touchpad settings and tried to toggle the touchpad back on. this did not work because that requires administrator privileges and my work, in its infinite wisdom, has not given me those. there was no keyboard shortcut or hardware toggle for the touchpad. Although there was a hidden synaptic tray icon, i could not open it via start menu or searching. restarting did not help. After I got a usb mouse, i opened the synaptic tray icon and found that the option "double tap to disable touchpad" was checked. Mystified, I double tapped the touchpad. Nothing. I tried double tapping with one, two, three, and four fingers. Nothing. Quite by accident, I realized that synaptic meant that you had to double tap on a specific part of the touchpad. then it worked.

was this on an HP

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

synaptic is "fine" assuming you've got the one model they build that uses the native windows drivers for everything. anything that requires synaptic software to function is dogshit garbage and almost certainly built like crap too

on most even somewhat current laptops you can just uninstall any synaptics junk and it'll turn out to be compatible with the rather more sensible microsoft driver.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I always turn off the trackpad. when people try to use my laptop it's fuckin hilarious

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

maybe it's genuinely much better on mac, but my experience of touchpads on windows laptops in general is that you should turn off everything except tap to click and two finger scroll otherwise you're going to end up zooming/dragging/rotating/launching poo poo accidentally and the slight utility of the features isn't worth the cost

point, click and scroll competently and that's pretty much good enough for me. if it can't even do that though, that's pretty poo poo

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Father Jack posted:

tap to click

garbage

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

graph posted:

garbage

you think so in windows too? i always assumed people who hated tap to click were all in on mac trackpads that physically clicked.

what's the problem?

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

akadajet posted:

visual studio 2019 came out today :toot:

it's good, folks

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

taco_fox posted:

it's good, folks

VS is the best IDE and it's not even close

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

microsoft: slightly worse at creating a safe workplace than they are at QA

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Stymie posted:

lol no

it's demonstrably worse than windows 7 and they can't release a windows 10 patch without it loving up every computer that applies it

win 7 is missing too many features

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I like intellij too.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

it’s a million times better than Xcode

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

windows 10 is fine, it has huge under the hood changes and new hardware support

except the consistent bugs when updating, or bugs introduced by updates.
except the two control panels
except the uglier UI
except the ads in the start menu and data theft

the android experience has finally come to pc

the best part of win10 is it's objectively worse than when it released in 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah have they done anything since 2015 other than bugfixes to make the start menu work most of the time instead of some of the time?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

yeah have they done anything since 2015 other than bugfixes to make the start menu work most of the time instead of some of the time?

be thankful you have a start menu

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

most of the split-brain stuff between the new and the legacy control styles are cleaned up. it was a regular occurrence that I would need to get in to those on the first builds, now its something I do maybe once during install and don't run in to any more

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

akadajet posted:

be thankful you have a start menu

yeah do you remember when we had to install some 3rd party thing that we had to blindly trust if we wanted a start menu on win 8/8.1, or be stuck with the full screen start lol

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

SRQ posted:

windows 10 is fine, it has huge under the hood changes and new hardware support

except the consistent bugs when updating, or bugs introduced by updates.
except the two control panels
except the uglier UI
except the ads in the start menu and data theft

the android experience has finally come to pc

the best part of win10 is it's objectively worse than when it released in 2015

the two control panels is madening and it's insane that it's still a thing, easily the worst thing about it

the rest i don't really agree with. you hit a switch to disable the lovely spyware and ads. it's tasteless and horrible and shouldn't be there, but the switch really does turn it off.

it's less glitchy than mojave by a wide margin. mojave is REALLY bad in that respect. It's probably the most stable feeling desktop OS i've used since snow leopard

also mojave is always showing me ads for lovely apple services

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

most of the split-brain stuff between the new and the legacy control styles are cleaned up. it was a regular occurrence that I would need to get in to those on the first builds, now its something I do maybe once during install and don't run in to any more

you still need to use the legacy one for stuff like network settings

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

windows 10 crashed so many times installing it on my new desktop I was about to RMA the motherboard but decided to try again.

it installed properly and the system is absolutely fine and stable.

bonus: it crashed a new spot each time, and once halted in the OOBE and had to be restarted as it wasn't taking input but was still running

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

you know what is bad though? powershell

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

piss off with your dumb object oriented interfaces with incomprehensible errors. just give me a text based bash clone idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Jenny Agutter posted:

was this on an HP

bingo