Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Pack Bulls seem incredibly powerful from Leal's LP, yeah. I bought Garu's in mine and wow the difference is really big. Also, Heavy Weapons like Planks. The only reason not to get your whole team full of them is the really high Strength requirement, and you really hit a wall even when you're intentionally powerleveling it at around level 55~ or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

:magical:

Also, Baka Things have now gained official recognition.

https://twitter.com/KenshiOfficial/status/1113071675921313792

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Leal posted:

A pack bull

If I ever find a seller i'm def going to buy as many as i can afford. I want to make a squad that's just a bovomancer and his beeftide.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

The Lone Badger posted:

If I ever find a seller i'm def going to buy as many as i can afford. I want to make a squad that's just a bovomancer and his beeftide.

keep in mind there seems to be a difference between standard bulls and wild ones. Both are oddly enough buyable but the wild ones (have horns) do more damage.

Supposedly.

I'm all about the pack crabs.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the crabs are very powerful but need a little bit of microing cause sometimes they seem to just stand there and not attack like theyre stuck in an animation

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

mauman posted:

keep in mind there seems to be a difference between standard bulls and wild ones. Both are oddly enough buyable but the wild ones (have horns) do more damage.

Supposedly.

I'm all about the pack crabs.

The ones with the blunted horns (the Holy Nation ones) deal blunt damage and therefore gain strength faster

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
A thing I had forgotten but just found out again :frogsiren:

You can re-generate the pathing map for npc's with CTRL+SHIFT+F11

I made a new base yesterday and it's bugging the hell out of npc pathing, and I seem to recall that thing saved a previous base of mine. It makes the npc's acknowledge your walls and such and properly path around them.

In other news, United Cities is full of loving idiots. I even paid my taxes and all cause I don't wanna get rolled by a horde of samurai but yet, a noble hunter and his sycophants assault my base? I'm glad I already got some buff dudes and had couple harpoons up. But after wiping the floor with those morons, a samurai patrol comes by, "assists" the noble and also attacks my base. So I murder them too. Now so far the good part in this, along with some expensive swords to sell, is that my UC reputation hasn't gone in one direction or another. I would've thought they are opposed to me tearing a noble apart, stripping him of everything and dumping the guy in middle of Venge with his cock gently flapping in the wind as his last worldly possession.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Pack Bulls seem incredibly powerful from Leal's LP, yeah.
leal's what now

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Fewd posted:

A thing I had forgotten but just found out again :frogsiren:

You can re-generate the pathing map for npc's with CTRL+SHIFT+F11

I made a new base yesterday and it's bugging the hell out of npc pathing, and I seem to recall that thing saved a previous base of mine. It makes the npc's acknowledge your walls and such and properly path around them.

In other news, United Cities is full of loving idiots. I even paid my taxes and all cause I don't wanna get rolled by a horde of samurai but yet, a noble hunter and his sycophants assault my base? I'm glad I already got some buff dudes and had couple harpoons up. But after wiping the floor with those morons, a samurai patrol comes by, "assists" the noble and also attacks my base. So I murder them too. Now so far the good part in this, along with some expensive swords to sell, is that my UC reputation hasn't gone in one direction or another. I would've thought they are opposed to me tearing a noble apart, stripping him of everything and dumping the guy in middle of Venge with his cock gently flapping in the wind as his last worldly possession.

The nobles and UC are actually different, allied factions.

The only way to stop the noble hunters from trying to scalp your guys is to ally with the UC, which I think also allies you with the nobles. Or at least flips a switch somewhere that makes them non-aggressive towards you.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

leal's what now

a success story

Page 10 has a good step-by-step description of how setting up a new base usually goes

I maintain that the following is probably the most :kenshi: thing I'm ever gonna read.

"Leal posted:

So we have slavers fighting hivers fighting slave hunters fighting UC samurai fighting slave traders fighting bounty hunters fighting vagrants fighting manhunters fighting skimmers fighting rebel outlaws and I'm sure there might be a few city's heroes in there as well.

I

I just

What the gently caress. WHY?!

Fewd fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 4, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Carcer posted:

The nobles and UC are actually different, allied factions.

The only way to stop the noble hunters from trying to scalp your guys is to ally with the UC, which I think also allies you with the nobles. Or at least flips a switch somewhere that makes them non-aggressive towards you.
For an easy overview, open the Construction Set and simply click on the Factions entry. There is a surprising amount of them, including a lot that you probably won't ever run into over the course of a normal game. For example, the Old Empire still has its own faction!

Fewd posted:

a success story

Page 10 has a good step-by-step description of how setting up a new base usually goes
Nice! Looks like I know what I'm doing with my lunch break today.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What's a good proportion of tanks to crossbows?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It actually depends on what you are fighting against and how much do you enjoy being shot in the back. Crossbows are really op if you take the time to micro but going in and brawl with a giant weeabo sword ala FF7 is much more appealing for a lot of people.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you exploit tauntblocking, it's surprisingly easy to get away with a fairly small number of dedicated meatshields, but like AngryLobster says: why would you do that when you can chop them in half with a Falling Sun instead?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I do like crossbows for really large-scale battles where there are just too many dudes attacking too many other dudes in close combat. As long as you've trained up a few crossbowmen with toothpicks, it should be fine later on.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I've got 15 or so melee fighters and 3 crossbowers. I let the melee guys sort themselves out and run around the edge of the fights with the crossbow users and pick off exposed enemies or run interference if new enemies appear.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fewd posted:

a success story

I maintain that the following is probably the most :kenshi: thing I'm ever gonna read.

I still don't know why all that fighting happened.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Carcer posted:

I've got 15 or so melee fighters and 3 crossbowers. I let the melee guys sort themselves out and run around the edge of the fights with the crossbow users and pick off exposed enemies or run interference if new enemies appear.

It's a matter of preferences, I feel crossbows are not really worth it against big masses, but they are invaluable against tough elite enemies with super high melee defence (inquisitors, faction leaders) or against enemies too hitler to even engage in melee (the southern hive King). Combat mechanics in vanilla Kenshi, like attack slots and physics, favours handfuls of elite fighters over big crowds.

Due to recent experiencies I've changed my squads from decently sized (15+) to smaller ones (4-8) due to the ease of micromanagement. I discovered that if you are willing to do a lot of micro you can break the combat mechanics in half, although some things like weapons/armor swapping are really exploitey and can even be considered cheating. Don't do this if what you really enjoy about this game is the roleplaying instead of being a dirty min-maxer like me.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 4, 2019

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Angry Lobster posted:

Due to recent experiencies I've changed my squads from decently sized (15+) to smaller ones (4-8) due to the ease of micromanagement. I discovered that if you are willing to do a lot of micro you can break the combat mechanics in half, although some things like weapons/armor swapping are really exploitey and can even be considered cheating. Don't do this if what you really enjoy about this game is the roleplaying instead of being a dirty min-maxer like me.

I'm leaning towards smaller groups now too. 15+ is definitely starting to feel like trying to herd a pile of feral cats, especially so in fights.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I have a "core 16" consisting of 5 crossbow snipers (eagle cross) that double as martial artist sneaky types, 2 lightly armored skeletons with falling suns, 7 heavily armored dudes/gals wielding combination of planks, frag axes, p. crosses, long cleavers, and one unique moon cleaver, and two pack crabs.

Probably going to add one more skeleton (headed to a certain tower to get a certain unique troop), drop both the crabs, and just take a garru for packing stuff.

Will miss the crabs though.

Also thinking about dropping the eagle crosses down to oldbows, so I can use them while my frontliners are fighting a little bit more confidently.

Also, on an unrelated note, anybody else annoyed that there is no meitou long cleaver in the game?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Large scale violence certainly has its place though. In my latest game I've now made a decision of not cheesing with stealth and kidnapping when taking out major characters. It's just so very much more satisfying to march an army to the gates of Blister Hill and inch by inch fight, claw, scratch and crawl rear end deep in blood and corpses to a grande finale slamfest at the house of Lord Phoenix to pummel him into submission.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

enemies too hitler to even engage in melee
lol autocorrect is a bitch, eh?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Cardiovorax posted:

lol autocorrect is a bitch, eh?

Nah, it's actually a poor taste mannerism I got when I used to play Bloodbowl with goons :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

poor taste [...] play with goons :v:
Yeah, figures. :v:

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Just say Okran like you really mean Angry Lobster, we're wise to dog whistle noises. Mostly Skoon thread.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Been playing Kenshi a ton since my meager starts and happy cheers for winning a battle against a lone bandit, but still barely scratching the surface. I've been to the swamp, gotten tazered from above and snuck through some areas with way too tough and huge enemies.

Tired of not being able to hit anything myself and even mercs getting slaughtered (elder beaks, yeesh), I returned to the safety of the stenn desert. I can kill everything there fairly easily, so I figured I'd set up an unwalled base mostly to pick a fight and train my squad. Which, uh, worked about as well as expected. Lots of toughness acquired, but several of my people are missing arms, including my awesome crossbow guy. I can handle the easier raids, but when yet another Shek proving made its way towards my base I legged it with all 20 misfits.

Not sure where to head next, but I definitely need better arms, as the ones I'm using have really bad effects on dex and crossbowing. I'm assuming north would be a bad choice if I want limbs? I should probably go to find this Beep? Cant see either Mongrel or Fog Islands on the map though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I was exploring the swamps in force and discovered an outpost on the border with the southern wetlands. Wondering if maybe I could get in out of this rain, I parked my team outside. Then wondering if maybe it was hostile in there, I put my ninja into stealth and had him open the door and step inside. Turned out to be a hideout of the Red Sabres, with like 20 dudes inside. :eyepop:

I had a nice long think as I looked around in there. I could have rushed everyone in and started stabbing, but that would have left a lot of my dudes on the floor as well and there wasn't actually a solid certainty I'd win. Or, I thought to myself as I noted one guy was a Boss with a 10k bounty and a Meitou saber, I could just have my ninja kidnap this rear end in a top hat. I'll give you two guesses which I picked.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

valuum posted:

Not sure where to head next, but I definitely need better arms, as the ones I'm using have really bad effects on dex and crossbowing. I'm assuming north would be a bad choice if I want limbs? I should probably go to find this Beep? Cant see either Mongrel or Fog Islands on the map though.
Fog Islands are to the west of Okran's Pride. North is not a bad direction in general, I think World's End sells limbs. There is a waystation to the south, just slightly north of the Swamp that also has a limb trader. You can get trash limbs in any Hiver village in the Vain.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Cardiovorax posted:

Fog Islands are to the west of Okran's Pride. North is not a bad direction in general, I think World's End sells limbs. There is a waystation to the south, just slightly north of the Swamp that also has a limb trader. You can get trash limbs in any Hiver village in the Vain.

Oh neat, that's close. I was looking at a map with white letters conveniently hiding in the fog. North it is! I'll send a greenlander in to grab a holy book and some mercs, ensuring safe and uneventful travels.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Won't hurt to have it, but you actually only ever need their holy book if you plan to settle in HN territory. It's necessary for prayer. If you don't have one the first time Prayer Guy comes knocking, I think he'll even hand you one for free.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Even if I'm going up there with women, foreigners, a skellie, and modified humans? I thought you needed the book to fend off patrols with such a sacrilegious squad.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

valuum posted:

Even if I'm going up there with women, foreigners, a skellie, and modified humans? I thought you needed the book to fend off patrols with such a sacrilegious squad.
I managed to bullshit a patrol that got me near the start of the game once by telling them that the "demons" were better off in my service, so I could redeem their evil with honest work or something. I didn't yet have one then, I'm fairly sure.

I tend to just crank up NPC vision range and sneaky my way through the place these days, but having the book might help! No reason not to pick one up you're there.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Having a human male in your party will let you get away with having women, shek and hivers along, but they'll still attack skeletons and people with prosthetics on sight

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I read somewhere that if you're on good terms with the HN (why?) people with prosthetics, nonhumans and even the dreaded :females: would be allowed to run free.

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.

The Lone Badger posted:

I like to run 2 Bulls and a Garru with each of my adventuring parties. The garru holds the food, sleeping bags, spare bolts, extra medkits etc and the 2 Bulls are my combat tanks and "acquired" loot carriers. Works really great especially once they've survive a few fights and grow up to elder status.

At one point I had a dedicated squad of elder Bonedogs with a few goats sprinkled in (like, literally 20 Bonedogs) but goddamn if it isn't a pita to keep them all fed with the 2x hunger multiplier. Mostly they would feed from the trough, but if i was out of town for a while and a food hauler got stuck or something, they all start starving fairly quickly. They absolutely owned any intruders though and really like cleaning up all the limbs the harpoons knocked loose.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

On the discussion of crossbows vs melee weapons, keep in mind that the two fights that most closely resemble endgame boss fights are battles of numbers, so crossbows are inherently less useful in that regard. Crossbows are also very easy to train against Leviathans if you find a good one

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

If I just started playing and am just one long shitter wanderer, whats a good immediate goal to go after to just kinda start figuring poo poo out?

I wandered around but the only thing I found was a copper node and then a bird ate me and I started over.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Agent355 posted:

If I just started playing and am just one long shitter wanderer, whats a good immediate goal to go after to just kinda start figuring poo poo out?

I wandered around but the only thing I found was a copper node and then a bird ate me and I started over.
Personal recommendation: find a battle somewhere and stealrecycle stuff until you've made at least 3000 cats from selling it. Then find the nearest bar and hire whoever you find there. More people are an immediate upgrade to survivability, not just because they make you fightan better, but because you are your faction, not your starting character or even your starting squad. So long as one character survives, even if it's an animal, you have not lost the game yet.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

I read somewhere that if you're on good terms with the HN (why?) people with prosthetics, nonhumans and even the dreaded :females: would be allowed to run free.

I've never been allied to the UC but I had positive relations and made the mistake of bringing a Shek into Okran's Pride. I got locked into a dialogue that didn't seem to have a non violent way out without enslaving my Shek (unlike the wandering patrols, who you can convince to let you keep your "slaves") so I did the only logical thing and murdered most of the town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Agent355 posted:

I'm assuming you are going in blind and playing unmoded. A nice, intermediate goal should be to level your combat stats and attributes to mid or late 20's, or just being able to handle dust bandits reasonably well.

Consider using the nobodies start instead of the lone wanderer, you will get five useless guys instead of one. Is more forgiving. If the hunger clock stresses you out, consider rising the hunger slider when starting the game. If you use the nobodies start, I recommend to restart until you start in the Hub.

The Hub is an easy starter zone, but I'd reccomend you to go south-west to Squint, if you make it there unscathed you will have a functional town with shops and buff guards to protect you.

You can make money early on mining copper, is fairly boring stuff though. You can automate the process fairly easily and make a ton of money and train strength while AFK , but it's tedious to setup. Don't be afraid to fight hungry bandits early on, you will level up your combat stats and get some crappy loot.

If you are losing a fight badly, run away to the guards in Squin, they are swole and will kick the crap out of any bandit. They won't heal you afterwards, so try to have at least one guy left standing to patch up the rest and haul the rest to the town. If that's not possible, at least drop your food on the ground before getting ko'd so the bandits won't loot you up. Between mining and picking up fights, you can level up your thief skills at night in Squin if you want to dabble early in thievery. Don't worry if you get caught by guards, they will just beat you up and lock up your characters for a certain amount of time.

Dust bandits are the next tier, they have camps around Squint and have more useful loot. Don't fight an entire group early on because you will lose. When you are able to handle them, you will have many options and probably going to want to explore the world.

Just remember that the world of Kenshi is a brutal place and pretty much everything you will meet wants to either beat you up and rob you, kill you, eat you, slave you, suck up your organs or worse.

Also, if by any chance you wander off Squin and go north, you will find a swallow marsh in a valley called Vain. Don't go there unless you characters can handle dust bandits easily. Although if you want to live the true Kenshi experience, go there and meet the local wildlife. When you are inevitably in trouble, run for the local Hive village, they are bros and will help you with your quadruped problem.

Make a VLP of this, I always enjoyed your stuff.