Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Look at all those chickens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Well, Rat Lord, I made it despite your directions.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Knormal posted:

There is only one actual duck in this photo.

Because he took the rest to his home.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Zetsubou-san posted:

I found a thing I made at least 15 years ago

this was in a nearby folder:

DREW CURTIS'S FARK DOT COM FEATURING DREW CURTIS FROM FARK DOT COM

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

remember when drew curtis ran for governor of kentucky lol

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Bad Wolf posted:

Well, Rat Lord, I made it despite your directions.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

SOME BODY ONCE TOLD ME

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Zetsubou-san posted:

I found a thing I made at least 15 years ago

this was in a nearby folder:

This was old even 15 years ago. Sorry.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

poo poo, find a way to shove circumcision, tipping, and wiping sitting/standing in there and I think it's complete

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Memes are better than words.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

poo poo, find a way to shove circumcision, tipping, and wiping sitting/standing in there and I think it's complete
also .9999999...

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Is it 1 fat man or .999999 repeating of a fat man?

Edit: gently caress.

Well his name is Yanni. Or is it?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
What's the deal with the airplane question? I've never understood what the "controversy" actually is

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

What's the deal with the airplane question? I've never understood what the "controversy" actually is

The plane should take off!!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

Some people who do not understand how planes work think that the plane on a conveyor belt wouldn't take off because they think that the wheels have anything to do with providing forward motion (instead of being free-spinning w/ brakes), or something real dumb like thinking the engines are responsible for providing lift by blowing/pulling air over the wings.

Some think it wouldn't take off because they apply real-world physics to the hypothetical and things like "the tires would explode from the speed before the plane had a chance to take off" or whatever. They're technically right but pedantic.

Everyone else recognizes that assuming no mechanical failures or other catastrophic developments, the plane would def take off because the engines push the plane forward and the wheels would just spin freely, just at twice the RPMs because of the conveyor belt.

yeah it's really dumb

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lol gently caress it it's been a while. Any lurkers think .999... doesn't equal 1? Show your work.

Coincidentally I have to go AFK for a while, have fun everyone

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Now do the helicopter on a record player one

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

theflyingorc posted:

The question is ambiguous and there are two ways to interpret it depending on how the question is asked. Either you think "well the conveyor belt doesn't matter because plane get thrust from engines, not wheels, so it gonna take off" and conclude that the airplane takes off, or you conclude "well if the conveyor belt is constantly going fast enough to counteract the engine thrust, it won't move, and no airflow = no takeoff". The first time I heard the question, it was phrased as "the conveyor belt moves fast enough to counteract the plane's forward motion" or something like that, in which case the latter answer is correct, and the problem with the former answer is that it ignores that the wheels can have friction (and in fact that's the only way for the conveyor to affect the plane's forward motion, which it must be able to according to the statement of the question). In this interpretation, the conveyor belt must go much, much faster than a plane's normal speed to produce the necessary friction. But the question is rarely formulated so clearly, and instead generally gets implicitly interpreted as "the conveyor belt moves as fast as a plane normally goes" which is not nearly fast enough to produce the friction necessary, so the former answer is correct.

And then the problem arises that both sides think the other side is dumb, when in fact both are giving correct answers to slightly different problems. See, for instance, Son of Thunderbeast, who has assumed frictionless wheels and "conveyor belt goes as fast as a plane normally goes", and therefore assumed that everyone who gives the other answer is too dumb to know that planes get their thrust from engines, not wheels. And then the "no take off" side assumes that the "take off" side is too dumb to know that lift comes from forward motion, not just engines.

To summarize, if conveyor speed = plane speed, it takes off. If conveyor friction = plane thrust, it doesn't take off. And these two sides will argue forever without explaining themselves clearly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DontMockMySmock posted:

The question is ambiguous and there are two ways to interpret it depending on how the question is asked. Either you think "well the conveyor belt doesn't matter because plane get thrust from engines, not wheels, so it gonna take off" and conclude that the airplane takes off, or you conclude "well if the conveyor belt is constantly going fast enough to counteract the engine thrust, it won't move, and no airflow = no takeoff". The first time I heard the question, it was phrased as "the conveyor belt moves fast enough to counteract the plane's forward motion" or something like that, in which case the latter answer is correct, and the problem with the former answer is that it ignores that the wheels can have friction (and in fact that's the only way for the conveyor to affect the plane's forward motion, which it must be able to according to the statement of the question). In this interpretation, the conveyor belt must go much, much faster than a plane's normal speed to produce the necessary friction. But the question is rarely formulated so clearly, and instead generally gets implicitly interpreted as "the conveyor belt moves as fast as a plane normally goes" which is not nearly fast enough to produce the friction necessary, so the former answer is correct.

And then the problem arises that both sides think the other side is dumb, when in fact both are giving correct answers to slightly different problems. See, for instance, Son of Thunderbeast, who has assumed frictionless wheels and "conveyor belt goes as fast as a plane normally goes", and therefore assumed that everyone who gives the other answer is too dumb to know that planes get their thrust from engines, not wheels. And then the "no take off" side assumes that the "take off" side is too dumb to know that lift comes from forward motion, not just engines.

To summarize, if conveyor speed = plane speed, it takes off. If conveyor friction = plane thrust, it doesn't take off. And these two sides will argue forever without explaining themselves clearly.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The plane takes off, the helicopter doesn't, wiping with the paper folded is medically unnecessary and the trolley stops before it determines the prisoner's sentence because the conductor realizes he has blue eyes on the second day.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

:jerkbag: this guy is dumb and wrong and I am smart and correct

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Here i fixed this

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

It's a way for people without an actual background in physics to try and show off their understanding of physics while actual physicists work on / worry about more meaningful things.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Here i fixed this

I dont know what yeet means but im glad it makes the kids happy

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

BillyC posted:

I dont know what yeet means but im glad it makes the kids happy

Yeet is the opposite of yoink.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I never paid much attention to that stuff but I assumed that the question was about the conveyor belt keeping the plan stationary. There it was like "well of loving course that doesn't take off. It isn't moving. Why are people arguing?" Turns out I was completely wrong about what the conveyor belt was doing in said scenario.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Wait I thought planes wheels were motorised. Can't they taxi even if the jet engines are not working?

I realise that they use the jet engines to take off ofc

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I never paid much attention to that stuff but I assumed that the question was about the conveyor belt keeping the plan stationary. There it was like "well of loving course that doesn't take off. It isn't moving. Why are people arguing?" Turns out I was completely wrong about what the conveyor belt was doing in said scenario.

the conveyor belt can't keep the plane stationary. the engines work against the air, not the ground. if you drove the conveyor belt backwards "as fast as the plane is moving," that just means the wheels are spinning twice as fast as they would be on a runway. the airplane always takes off.

bike tory posted:

Wait I thought planes wheels were motorised. Can't they taxi even if the jet engines are not working?

I realise that they use the jet engines to take off ofc

no, airplanes cannot taxi without the engines running. airliners often shut down one engine on the taxi back to the gate to save fuel but their only way to move forwards is jet thrust. airplanes also cannot drive backwards so they use little tractors to push them back from the gate when departing.

e: most airplanes can't drive backwards. some have thrust reversers that can be used to back out, but they are rarely used that way (they're meant to reduce the landing rollout) because they would throw sand and rocks and poo poo back at the terminal

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Apr 4, 2019

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

Bread Liar

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
I always thought that the plane wouldn't go up in the air because there wouldn't be any air flow going over the wings? It's staying in a statutory position in an ideal situation with no wind.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Luckyellow posted:

I always thought that the plane wouldn't go up in the air because there wouldn't be any air flow going over the wings? It's staying in a statutory position in an ideal situation with no wind.

Planes are propelled by their props, not by their wheels, so a treadmill would do nothing to slow them down, making the whole years long debate an exercise is futility.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What if you put the plane in a trebuchet?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
i honestly didn't mean to cause this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

Planes are propelled by their props, not by their wheels, so a treadmill would do nothing to slow them down, making the whole years long debate an exercise is futility.

That doesn't make any sense. If the airplane is fixed to a single point on the ground, there will be no airflow going over the wings. If there's no airflow, there's no lift under the wings, therefore it won't go up in the air.