Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Huh. I legit didn't know that "if your primary title is gavelkind your secondary titles of that tier will shift to Gavelkind as well" was a DLC thing rather than a patch thing. How close are you to forming an empire title? Brittania will do, or if you own Charlemagne you can presumably create a custom empire title. That should solve the problem as well. Long-term, though, I agree with "never hold more than one title of your highest tier if you aren't okay with potentially losing a large portion of your realm to succession shenanigans".

I have heard it is theoretically possible to de-ironman a save via editing but I do not know how off the top of my head. There IS a console command to change your succession law as well, if you can remove ironman some other way. (see the "succ" command here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Goons Are Great posted:

Why is holding more than one kingdom title bad? Honest question, I sometimes do this but did not have major problems with it so far, but maybe I was just lucky.

If Ironman is turned off you can in the console allow_laws and freely change every law in every title you hold, no matter if regular or succession. However if you have to get the council or vassals to sign off on it (I don't think that's the case when changing succession laws this way, as the console command also circumvents requirements in general) it may be impossible or take a long time.

Dukes of your non primary kingdom will get negative modifiers, since they want to be king. That might just apply to emperors though; I can't remember.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Dallan Invictus posted:

Huh. I legit didn't know that "if your primary title is gavelkind your secondary titles of that tier will shift to Gavelkind as well" was a DLC thing rather than a patch thing. How close are you to forming an empire title? Brittania will do, or if you own Charlemagne you can presumably create a custom empire title. That should solve the problem as well. Long-term, though, I agree with "never hold more than one title of your highest tier if you aren't okay with potentially losing a large portion of your realm to succession shenanigans".

I have heard it is theoretically possible to de-ironman a save via editing but I do not know how off the top of my head. There IS a console command to change your succession law as well, if you can remove ironman some other way. (see the "succ" command here.

My son is in line to the throne of England, so once my wife (the Queen of England) and I die he'll be ready to create the Empire. I have now however reached the hurdle of not having a clue how to turn off Ironman. I've tried editing the save file but it's just gibberish, and although I've found people saying you can click the icon to turn it off when I do it literally nothing happens. (That might have been for another game actually? Who knows)

EDIT: Also obviously if I lose two of my kingdoms I'll be further away from creating the empire when I die. If I hadn't switched my primary title to Wales specifically to avoid losing it in succession this wouldn't have happened after buying the DLC, which is very irritating.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 4, 2019

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Dukes of your non primary kingdom will get negative modifiers, since they want to be king. That might just apply to emperors though; I can't remember.

It applies to superkings too iirc. And if they hold duke titles in multiple kingdoms, the maluses stack!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

cargohills posted:

My son is in line to the throne of England, so once my wife (the Queen of England) and I die he'll be ready to create the Empire. I have now however reached the hurdle of not having a clue how to turn off Ironman. I've tried editing the save file but it's just gibberish, and although I've found people saying you can click the icon to turn it off when I do it literally nothing happens. (That might have been for another game actually? Who knows)

I think I was confusing it with Stellaris, where editing save files to remove Ironman is actually extremely easy.

Some guy coded a utility to do it for CK2 and EU4 but it hasn't been updated in a while so it may or may not still work.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If you don't care about the achievements, just create a new mini-mod with a decision that forces your titles to primogeniture. This took about 2 minutes to write:

code:
decisions = {
        make_primo = {
                potential = {
                        ai = no
                        any_demesne_title = {
                                not = { has_law = succ_primogeniture }
                        }
                }
                allow = {
                        ai = no
                }
                effect = {
                        hidden_tooltip = {
                                root = {
                                        any_demesne_title = {
                                                add_law = {
                                                        law = succ_primogeniture
                                                        opinion_effect = no
                                                        cooldown = no
                                                }
                                        }
                                }
                        }
                }
        }
}

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

How would I install it?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've decided to go feudal. The problem is, most of my vassals are tribal. How do I rectify this?

Also the moral authority of the Catholic church is 47.8, however, they've lost every holy site, and lost a crusade and a great holy war.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I've decided to go feudal. The problem is, most of my vassals are tribal. How do I rectify this?

Also the moral authority of the Catholic church is 47.8, however, they've lost every holy site, and lost a crusade and a great holy war.

Burn more churches

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

They should try to feudalize themselves when they can, but they need a properly upgraded holding with the Stone Hillfort and all that jazz. If you want to burn money, you can upgrade their holdings so they can take the decision sooner, but otherwise just wait and they should catch up when they can.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

The best way to prune sons, if you are pagan, and in a warrior society is to simply antagonize them and kill them in a duel. You will get the dynastic kinslayer malus but honestly if you are an all time ruthless man (or woman) of history then gently caress em your other stats will balance out that malus the only thing that matters is the power of your line. A son doesn't stack up? Kill him personally in a duel (you have this option if you win) without having to rely on RNG for him to die in a raid or get captured. It doesnt even stack so kill your whole fam who gives a poo poo you run the place. This is why I love playing pagans. Duels and death solve all my problems.

If your religion allows it you could also force them to take the vows.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

cargohills posted:

You can use the console to kill people, right? I guess I could just automatically kill my second son to prevent them from falling away from me and then work towards getting one or two of them back to primogeniture. I was planning on establishing an empire because I'm next in line for the throne of England so that might work?

I think Holy Fury added functionality to just fight a duel or something on rulers who you have a gavelkind claim on

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just remembered that I'm incredibly well liked. So I imprisoned and executed the potential heir

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Right, good news. Because of everywhere getting reset to Gavelkind, that happened to Sicily - and because the Queen of Sicily was my mother, when she died I became King. Now my oldest son is heir to Ireland, Wales and Scotland (and is the current king of England), and my second son is heir only to Sicily.

Only problem now is that I'm very close to switching one of my original Kingdoms to primogeniture: but will doing that cause one of them to fall away from me again?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

cargohills posted:

Only problem now is that I'm very close to switching one of my original Kingdoms to primogeniture: but will doing that cause one of them to fall away from me again?

If your primary title is gavelkind, it will go to the selected heir. Your primo title will go to your oldest son. If they happen to be the same, you keep both. If they don't elect your eldest son for gavelkind, you'll only keep that title.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

cargohills posted:

How would I install it?

Create a mod using something like this guide and put that file in the decisions directory.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

So is there an option to have randomised monuments and special buildings in the new game options now?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Playing a new Shattered World start as Zun. Made a beeline for Kabul for the Holy Site and Trade Post, managed to do some Conquesting in the area and got Moral Authority up past 47% and then one of my rear end in a top hat neighbours got 4110 troops through an event and spends the next 10 years Raiding, burning my temples and the Trade Post over and over again. I went on another little Conquest spree in the hope he'd get bored and gently caress off, but nope - this rear end in a top hat's got the attention span of a gnat.

So now I have to beeline for Multan and hope my other County Conquest modifiers don't wear off before I get it.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

kingturnip posted:

Playing a new Shattered World start as Zun. Made a beeline for Kabul for the Holy Site and Trade Post, managed to do some Conquesting in the area and got Moral Authority up past 47% and then one of my rear end in a top hat neighbours got 4110 troops through an event and spends the next 10 years Raiding, burning my temples and the Trade Post over and over again. I went on another little Conquest spree in the hope he'd get bored and gently caress off, but nope - this rear end in a top hat's got the attention span of a gnat.

So now I have to beeline for Multan and hope my other County Conquest modifiers don't wear off before I get it.

What events would give that many troops in a shattered world scenario? Aren’t they completely ahistorical? Or does the shattering still take rulers into account like the karls will all just be counts or dukes of their respective areas

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Buschmaki posted:

I think Holy Fury added functionality to just fight a duel or something on rulers who you have a gavelkind claim on

A strong claim duel, yes. It’s very convenient when it fires, but I’ve had gavelkind successions where I didn’t get a strong claim for some reason so it isn’t always reliable.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I managed to fix it. The default rules in Conclave mean that you only need higher crown authority passed by the council and can just do the succession laws by yourself so long as you have no negative vassal opinions, so I just manually changed everything to primogeniture. I'm now Emperor of Alba, woo.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If you use the same commanders in your pillaging army, every time. Will they progress down the viking/ravager/sea king ranks with you?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

If you use the same commanders in your pillaging army, every time. Will they progress down the viking/ravager/sea king ranks with you?

Not as far as I know. You also don’t have to actually be commanding the raiding army to gain the traits.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Somebody talk Great Works to me, I have no idea what to do with those. Do I spam level 1's all over my republic every time I hit 1.6k? Do I focus on maxing one out in my capital? Or my silk road connection? In either of those cases, which ones do I build? The game is uncharacteristically vague on what they actually do.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, the Empire of Scandinavia is thriving, to say the least. I've adopted feudalism and changed my succession to seniority and titles can no longer be inherited from outside of the empire. And thanks to switching to feudalism, I am now under my vassal limit for the first time since 781. Any tips on carving out a good little safe-haven for yourself? I'm building a royal palace in Uppland, so I'd like to keep it around there. Things are looking up. I'm really not sure how the transition to next ruler will be. It'll be either very stable, or very turbulent. I can't declare another great holy war until 933 and I am going to target the Abbasid Empire. I'm currently taking the last catholic holy site from the catholics, so I'm not sure if I will lay low until 933, or attempt a conquest into Jeddah, so that I'm footsteps from Mecca. Reformed Germanic Paganism will be the global religion if I have any say over it. I have 612 years(hopefully) to accomplish this.

I have the kingdoms/sultanates of Lappland, Lombardy, Umayyed, and Maghreb as tributaries.

I forgot about the kill list until my last three rulers. So I've been having a bit of fun w/ the warrior lodge sacrifices.

I wonder if I'll be able to top Baldr II.

Asehujiko posted:

Somebody talk Great Works to me, I have no idea what to do with those. Do I spam level 1's all over my republic every time I hit 1.6k? Do I focus on maxing one out in my capital? Or my silk road connection? In either of those cases, which ones do I build? The game is uncharacteristically vague on what they actually do.

They're just really expensive slow start county/ruler buffs.

Palemdromes posted:

Not as far as I know. You also don’t have to actually be commanding the raiding army to gain the traits.

That's kinda lovely, but a good way to prevent your heirs from always being Sea Gods.

Edit: does threat go over 100%? All of my recent holy warring has gotten me a threat of 99.4.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 5, 2019

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I think maybe only the player can get viking etc. I've been playing a Norse game and have never managed to get it to show up on various heirs over a few generations despite taking them with me, but then it will often fire on like the first or second raid after they take over.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I think you need to be a ruler who sacks a holding for it to fire.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

You can't destroy those titles if they follow gavelkind.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that lol. Getting dicked by that was a big part of the reason I made the one kingdom title rule for myself to begin with. It's a good reason not to create more kingdoms in the first place.

Goons Are Great posted:

Why is holding more than one kingdom title bad? Honest question, I sometimes do this but did not have major problems with it so far, but maybe I was just lucky.

Pros:
Get some additional prestige
Prevents de jure drift if you want to maintain the integrity of the map I guess

Cons:
Negative opinion modifiers with vassals that want the kingdom
Negative opinion modifiers with all vassals if you hold I think 3 or more
Presents new opportunities for a realm to fracture on inheritance that are impossible if you are a king with one kingdom title
Costs a fair bit of cash to create the titles
Costs prestige and a big opinion penalty with all the de jure vassals if you end up needing to destroy it later.

It's only really bad if you end up in a situation where you've got a gavelkind kingdom that is gonna fracture your demense, or you have kingdoms with different succession laws and different heirs and you aren't going to be able to make the requirements to change a succession law. But even barring that, there's not really any good things that can happen as a result. If you form an empire, let your vassals spend their own money creating their kingdom titles, or create it right around when you are planning on handing it over.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 5, 2019

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Asehujiko posted:

Give it a few weeks and the CK2 wiki will have a list of all the different modifiers for each great work, level, and upgrade so you can be more strategic with them.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Asehujiko posted:

It's only been a couple days so it's too early to tell so far, but I've gone tall rather than broad thus far and it's paid off fairly well; there's a cumulative cost malus for each great work, looks like, and for each level of great work you complete it unlocks a couple slots for you to choose to customize it by always taking watchtowers, which SEEMS more cost effective than having multiple under construction.

Also since they impose monthly costs, you'd struggle as a feudal ruler to keep up with costs unless you've got silk road money or African mines or something; merchant republics could probably easily afford to build a few at a time but I am a bad who likes the 769 start so the republic early game is just too much of a slog for me without a neat gimmick to make it worth it and the point is that I haven't tried it yet. My suspicion is that they'll want to poo poo out great harbors everywhere possible for the trade value buff.

E: a disappointing thing so far is that great works appear to be their own entirely separate category of construction and they don't appear to be affected by things like the stone quarry or the mail order Chinese consultants. The costs and times appear to be affected solely by your Construction tech?

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 5, 2019

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Edit: does threat go over 100%? All of my recent holy warring has gotten me a threat of 99.4.

Nope, which means any threat you incur beyond 100 is essentially free.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
The game let me get a big army, and it let me gobble up some tiny garbage nations. Suddenly the pagans and muslims high-five each other while the christians unite as one. In the distance, thousands of elephants can be heard trumpeting, and you get the sense that the rich ruler of Africa can afford enough mercenaries to mess you up.

I haven't played Aztec Thunderdome in a while, please tell me that the world goes berserk when you reconquer territory.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

This game turned out pretty crazy. I'm the Emperor of Galicia-Volhynia. I started as the count of Toropets (so after 200 hours of this game I finally picked up It's Good to be King and It's Better to be Emperor) and reformed Slavic after some 100 years in the pagan thunderdome. I went with Children of Perun and Bloodthirsty Gods, and with Blood Games you rack up kill counts into the hundreds very easily so I got the Bloodthirsty bloodline.

I didn't realize how quickly Pagans can snowball if you get lucky - I was able to become King of Ruthenia with my first character. The Count of Toropets starts with a CB on his neighbouring half-brother, who always gets annihilated by Gardarike first thing, so you can swoop in and grab what's left and then keep beating up bigger and bigger neighbours. Having a massive retinue grandfathered in from Pagan when you go Feudal is a massive help too.

The big early game threats were Gardarike and Khazaria - unreformed Slavic mulches up everyone who tries to fight you at home, so despite getting destroyed when I attacked them, I was eventually able to attrition them down. Reforming Slavic is a huge pain in the rear end, even when you grab the three holy sites in Eastern Europe your neighbours are gonna get smashed and tank your MA.

Khazaria originally overran Bulgaria but then Naissos formed from a rebellion, and were essentially continously at war with the Byzantines for about 100-150 years. I took Bulgaria in a Great Holy War to border the Byzantines maybe a year before the screenshot.

Religions went pretty crazy. Reformed Slavic took over Eastern Europe, with Poland and me being the only ones of consequence, but lots of the small independent realms followed suit as well. Central Europe is an insane patchwork of different heresies and religions - mostly Lollards and Waldensians, some reformed Slavic and Germanics (still unreformed), no actual Catholics. Catholicism has essentially been confined to Francia now. Italy is split between Lollards and Sunnis. The British Isles are Fraticelli, but ruled by Germanics. Leon is ruled by Norse Muslims, currently facing a massive independence revolt. Judaism survives in Khazaria, since invading those lands is just a massive pain in the rear end. Naissos is gonna get gobbled up soon after I broke them in the last war.

Scandinavia has gone through so many changes - Gardarike to Norway to Denmark to Svipjod and back to Gardarike. Svipjod is firmly Catholic. So maybe the Catholics will be able to thrive elsewhere than France if they somehow don't get crushed by Gardarike. Denmark and Gardarike are ruled by Ragnarr Löthbrok's descendants, Francia by a new dynasty that still has the Karling bloodline.

Highlights of the game included the grandfather of my current Emperor having ten consecutive daughters with Agnatic - so I had to change my inheritance, but my heir was in a regular marriage to the king of Poland. Luckily I had rivalled her as a kid, so my guy was able to duel and kill his (fat, one-legged, middle aged) daughter as a 70 year old man before he died, and then assassinate his grandson to set the dynasty right again. This was also the emperor who founded the Bloodthirsty bloodline, and had a kill count of over 200 after 50 years of Blood Games and sacrifices. He was hated by everyone when he died, and my heir had to deal with 2/3rds of the realms splitting off and decades of civil war.

The Mongols showed up maybe 5 years ago too, so that's gonna be a big problem in a few years. The big players in Europe are me, the Byzantines, Francia and Gardarike, and I've never fought the Mongols, so I hope I don't get smashed too badly. I'll probably try to take Constantinople before they arrive.

Anyway. Holy Fury is a lot of fun.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 5, 2019

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"This party needs some action! I'm going to get undressed." Lunatic continues to be the best trait for any ruler.

I haven't played much since Holy Fury came out, and I just made a concerted effort to sway some dudes. Slight problem: My ruler is cruel, paranoid, and insane, and his choices for swaying a neighboring ruler are to send him the head of a bard, or write him a list of ways to threaten his subjects.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My starting character has outlived his welcome as far as his children are concerned. The great Zun Empire is still in the hands of a stressed, cancer-ridden, now one-handed 67-year old man currently on his 4th wife (well, First Wife, anyway).
His first-born is dead, his first-born is dead, as are various other promising-looking sons of the dynasty.

So the new chosen successor is a woman. There's no way this can go wrong.

[edit]
He's dead. hosed to death by his wife.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 6, 2019

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Is this "old treasures" event something new or have I just been exceptionally unlucky in getting it every single time one of my characters dies? Boo to treasury taxes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Communist Walrus posted:

Is this "old treasures" event something new or have I just been exceptionally unlucky in getting it every single time one of my characters dies? Boo to treasury taxes.

it'd help if you gave some more detail, i can think of about 8 different on-succession treasury events

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

it'd help if you gave some more detail, i can think of about 8 different on-succession treasury events

I'm guessing it's the (new?) one where it talks about some artifact being an antique or only there for sentimental value or whatever and you can either pay money to keep it or you can trash it. The cost looks like it scales to your current wealth or maybe your income and so far it hasn't been TOO prohibitive although I did have to pay two grand to keep a tier 4 sword on this current emperor which was, admittedly, three years income, so.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Yeah, it's that one. I fired up a new Byz game and every time someone dies I have the choice between throwing out the imperial diadem or paying through the nose to keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Should I be worried?