Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
The old Minecraft question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

purple death ray posted:

What do you carve the wooden knife with, though
Wooden meat

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

See, I thought about making this joke but I was afraid people would make fun of me for assuming that we use metal knives to cut metal meat.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

JoelJoel posted:

A well made plastic knife will outlast human civilisation... and we use it once then pitch it, lol

If you don't wash and reuse your plastic cutlery, I don't want to know you. I have straws older that some posters on these very forums.
My spork collection is immaculate. My children and my childrens' children will be using them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

A well made plastic knife will outlast human civilisation... and we use it once then pitch it, lol

Yeah but only because human civilization only has another 40 years or so

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

A plastic knife is only 2 molecules away from the margarine its spreading

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bell jar posted:

drat that's pretty sharp.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You know, since [quickly checking Wikipedia] the atomic nucleus only makes up a small part of an atom, nothing ever truly touches. This has been my galaxy brain take, peace out

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

JoelJoel posted:

Until something figures out how to eat plastic, anyway. There are bacteria that evolved to eat nylon.

cock hero flux posted:

who the gently caress makes a knife out of wood

Blacksmiths if you believe the old proverb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Low level rogues need gear too.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Finns make used to make butter knives out of wood because in the days of forest and bog, metal knives were rare enough that you would have a puukko, a general purpose forged steel knife, and then use that for making a butter knife. That tradition stuck around to this day.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Metal was a rare and precious commodity everywhere in the world for most of history, and everybody else got with the program as soon as they could.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

How much wood would a wood knife wood if a wood knife would knife wood?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

rodbeard posted:

How much wood would a wood knife wood if a wood knife would knife wood?

only a whittle

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

bell jar posted:

only a whittle

:jail2:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

walrusman posted:

Metal was a rare and precious commodity everywhere in the world for most of history, and everybody else got with the program as soon as they could.

Shows a lack of appreciation for both wood and butter really.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

bell jar posted:

only a whittle

We asked for a goon, we got a poet.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

purple death ray posted:

What do you carve the wooden knife with, though

You don't carve anything with butter knives so the question is incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial.

e: Unless you're making a giant cow statue out of butter.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Electrical Fire posted:

What backwards-rear end country do you live in where all cutlery doesn't have a flared base for this reason??

Clearly one pretty backwards in rear end technology.

bell jar posted:

only a whittle
:eyepop:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Phlegmish posted:

You know, since [quickly checking Wikipedia] the atomic nucleus only makes up a small part of an atom, nothing ever truly touches. This has been my galaxy brain take, peace out
Actually, because an electron's place in space is entirely governed by probability equations, and therefore there's always a chance that any given electron is literally anywhere, and because electrostatic repulsion is what makes "touch" feel like touch, everything is touching everything else at the same time, always.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Touching is an anthropomorphic projection of the sense of touch to things that don't sense touch. So it can be whatever it needs to make sense without torturing yourself over the scientific mechanisms.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
ELP is not ELO

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
And ELP isn't El-P, which is a mistake a friend of mine made a couple of years ago when RTJ 3 was released.

"Oh hey I thought Keith Emerson was dead, but apparently ELP are still releasing things?"

not even close

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Memento posted:

And ELP isn't El-P, which is a mistake a friend of mine made a couple of years ago when RTJ 3 was released.

"Oh hey I thought Keith Emerson was dead, but apparently ELP are still releasing things?"

not even close

:lol:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
kolchak is not kojak, either

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

bell jar posted:

only a whittle

quite a knot, actually

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

kolchak is not kojak, either

Although, Kojak dealing with supernatural bullshit is a helluva idea for a fanfic.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I learned that wooden butter knives isn't a thing that exists everywhere, for some reason.

Sup wooden butterknife buddies :sweden::respek::finland:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Snapchat is not Chatroulette.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Snapchat is not Chatroulette.

Heeeeck?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I remembered what Chatroulette was from the Chatroulette thread in GBS years ago, but misremembered the name as Snapchat. I only figured it out yesterday when a coworker was talking about going back on Snapchat, and he didn't seem creepy enough to be on Chatroulette. They're both internet things with "chat" in the name that I was dimly aware of and never interacted with. I'm 34 and already feel hopelessly old and out of touch.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Golobulous was voiced by Burgess Meredith.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I recently discovered The Bobby Fuller Four and learned that "I Fought The Law" was not an original song by The Clash.
Then a few weeks went by, and I found out that Bobby Fuller's version was itself a cover of The Crickets' own from the 1950s.
At this rate, I'm probably going to unearth some evidence that it's an ancient melody once hummed by grave robbers during the reign of Ramses II.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I recently discovered The Bobby Fuller Four and learned that "I Fought The Law" was not an original song by The Clash.
Then a few weeks went by, and I found out that Bobby Fuller's version was itself a cover of The Crickets' own from the 1950s.
At this rate, I'm probably going to unearth some evidence that it's an ancient melody once hummed by grave robbers during the reign of Ramses II.

Not something I just figured out but cool nonetheless: the carol "Good King Wenceslas" uses a tune that was originally for a Latin hymnal sung in celebration of spring, "Tempus adest floridum".

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The difference between a fjord and a bay is that a fjord is formed by a glacier.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

bell jar posted:

Kinda like if you tried to gently caress the margarine I guess.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

jobson groeth posted:

The difference between a fjord and a bay is that a fjord is formed by a glacier.

:wrong:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

jobson groeth posted:

Ever heard of Milford Sound in New Zealand? It's not a sound, it's a fjord. Sounds are formed from rivers and are V shaped while fjords are U shaped. But the dude who named it didn't know the geologic history of the island and just assumed it was a sound because there's no ice there now.

That's your bonus geography lesson of the day thanks for reading

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Picnic Princess posted:

Ever heard of Milford Sound in New Zealand? It's not a sound, it's a fjord. Sounds are formed from rivers and are V shaped while fjords are U shaped. But the dude who named it didn't know the geologic history of the island and just assumed it was a sound because there's no ice there now.

That's your bonus geography lesson of the day thanks for reading

:lsd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
When I first learned about the band Portishead I thought it was pronounced Portis Head, but later I was informed that it (and the town) are actually “porti-shade” or “porti-shed” so I called them that for years. I looked it up again today and I was right the first time?