Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Badly Jester posted:

That kind of discrimination may be much less common today, but we only have to go a few decades back to see Italians and even the fookin' Irish in America to be considered "off-white" at best.

Here's a hosed Fact!(TM) one of America's largest mass lynchings took place in New Orleans and killed (drumroll) 11 Italians! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_14,_1891_New_Orleans_lynchings Basically, "white people" don't exist, the folks considered white are immigrants who traded their heritage for access to White Supremacy.
We're now living in an era where WS is stretching to include nonwhite members of the 1%. People laughed about that academic essay which explained that the Japanese are "white" now without realizing that WS has always been a scheme to pit the working class against each other, and now that the rich are collaborating across national boundaries, the definition is changing again.

That's why it's assinine to pretend that racism/WS plays by internally consistent logic. The hypocrisy is the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Get a disposable pillow and an extra pillowcase which looks similar enough that you can terrify him while it happens, then he realizes he's been had when you send him to his room.

Being a good parent means knowing when to show your child how the world treats assholes. If nothing else succeeds, terror, at least, is memorable.

loving genius.

I'm an only child so suddenly having teenage/close to teenage brothers is so goddamn weird. I have no idea how to interact with kids at all. I work with the elderly and that is no help at all.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Badly Jester posted:

That kind of discrimination may be much less common today, but we only have to go a few decades back to see Italians and even the fookin' Irish in America to be considered "off-white" at best.

That’s true, but the original debate was wether or not Americans today debated about Southern Europeans being white, which they don’t. Americans don’t spend much time thinking about Europe in general, outside of where to take the next vacation and pretending like it’s healthcare is horrible to justify not changing ours.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Power Khan posted:

Gummy bears claim another victim

AITA because my boyfriend's (21) grandma (85) ate some of my cannabis edibles?
I live in a state with legal marijuana. I left some gummy bears in my and my boyfriends bedroom like I always do because we live alone. He brought his grandma over while I worked (I do nights) and came home around 6 am to an empty house. Come to find out, my boyfriend took her to the emergency room because she started behaving strangely and believed she was having some kind of panic or heart attack. They are still at the hospital now because they admitted her to find out what's wrong.

I got home and ate a gummy and noticed that only 6 of the 9 I had were still there. Three gummys is enough to trip balls and I'm pretty sure that it was her bc my boyfriend is in the military and can't smoke or eat edibles. I know if I tell him he's gonna be mad so im making this post preemptively. AITA for leaving these gummies in my own nightstand even if they possibly caused this fiasco?

Haha, grandma was looking for a good time and found it. She was probably hoping for a vibrator or something because why else would you go rooting around someone's nightstand?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

Haha, grandma was looking for a good time and found it. She was probably hoping for a vibrator or something because why else would you go rooting around someone's nightstand?

Looking for the perfect murder suicide implement?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Scathach posted:

loving genius.

I'm an only child so suddenly having teenage/close to teenage brothers is so goddamn weird. I have no idea how to interact with kids at all. I work with the elderly and that is no help at all.

It's a loving excruciating balancing act between giving them the freedom to gently caress up while also limiting the severity of fuckups. This is a delicate transition because suddenly the scale of fuckery they can get upto vaaaaaaaastly outpaces what they can handle.

If the pillow thing gets kiboshed by the domestic partner, consider instituting a "cleanup fee" where you deduct a small portion of allowance for messes the kiddo doesn't take responsibility for. Also, be sure you've clearly communicated expectations regarding bathroom sanitation, "cleanup messes within 10 minutes" or something similar. "Clean the bathrooms after school Thursday, before videogames."

IDK if you're in the child rearing thread or not but there's a lot of folks with good heads on their shoulders in there.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

Looking for the perfect murder suicide implement?

The bathroom/under the kitchen sink would be better places to look if that was your intent. Grandma's been around long enough to know that.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Dazerbeams posted:

You never know where the young ladies hide the African soap these days

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I wanna party with party grandma.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

It's a loving excruciating balancing act between giving them the freedom to gently caress up while also limiting the severity of fuckups. This is a delicate transition because suddenly the scale of fuckery they can get upto vaaaaaaaastly outpaces what they can handle.

If the pillow thing gets kiboshed by the domestic partner, consider instituting a "cleanup fee" where you deduct a small portion of allowance for messes the kiddo doesn't take responsibility for. Also, be sure you've clearly communicated expectations regarding bathroom sanitation, "cleanup messes within 10 minutes" or something similar. "Clean the bathrooms after school Thursday, before videogames."

IDK if you're in the child rearing thread or not but there's a lot of folks with good heads on their shoulders in there.

They still have both parents, but they both work a lot and one has had a serious scary-rear end illness lately so they'll probably be alright with whatever punishment I can dish out. We moved in to help while we look for a house and will probably be here for a while. I'm definitely going to go check out the parenting thread because I am so lost. Thank you!

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Biohazard posted:

That’s true, but the original debate was wether or not Americans today debated about Southern Europeans being white, which they don’t. Americans don’t spend much time thinking about Europe in general, outside of where to take the next vacation and pretending like it’s healthcare is horrible to justify not changing ours.

I took a spanish course taught by a guy from Spain a few years back. I live in America and I totally asked him what he considers himself because of the whole thing where “latinx/hispanic” (or whatever) is somehow different than “caucasian” on forms here.

He was all like “I’m white, wtf.” I explained myself and he seemed to get it. But he also seemed like he was dancing around this idea that spanish-speakers on this side of the atlantic aren’t white like he is. For some reason.

I dropped it, but I was legitimately curious or it wouldn’t have come up in the first place.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

burial posted:

I took a spanish course taught by a guy from Spain a few years back. I live in America and I totally asked him what he considers himself because of the whole thing where “latinx/hispanic” (or whatever) is somehow different than “caucasian” on forms here.

He was all like “I’m white, wtf.” I explained myself and he seemed to get it. But he also seemed like he was dancing around this idea that spanish-speakers on this side of the atlantic aren’t white like he is. For some reason.

I dropped it, but I was legitimately curious or it wouldn’t have come up in the first place.

People in Spain aspire to be light skinned. It's the same as Central and south America and is pushed by the media they consume

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It is well-known that the populations of the precolombian Americas were white until all these Spaniards showed up. Hence the name "Hispanics".

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

YaketySass posted:

It is well-known that the populations of the precolombian Americas were white until all these Spaniards showed up. Hence the name "Hispanics".

:captainpop:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Here's a hosed Fact!(TM) one of America's largest mass lynchings took place in New Orleans and killed (drumroll) 11 Italians! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_14,_1891_New_Orleans_lynchings Basically, "white people" don't exist, the folks considered white are immigrants who traded their heritage for access to White Supremacy.
We're now living in an era where WS is stretching to include nonwhite members of the 1%. People laughed about that academic essay which explained that the Japanese are "white" now without realizing that WS has always been a scheme to pit the working class against each other, and now that the rich are collaborating across national boundaries, the definition is changing again.

That's why it's assinine to pretend that racism/WS plays by internally consistent logic. The hypocrisy is the point.

Pretty crazy when you also consider that Italians were the largest immigrant group to settle in & around New Orleans.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Another Bill posted:

I wanna party with party grandma.

That old girl has some pills in her cabinet that will make funny gummibears look like a fart in a plastic bag.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Captain Yossarian posted:

People in Spain aspire to be light skinned. It's the same as Central and south America and is pushed by the media they consume

That’s more or less the impression I came away with. I felt a little awkward about having asked, but jeez! How else would I have ever known?

And it was in response to like “what questions do you have about spanish culture?” so.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

burial posted:

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I thought a lot of the latinx/hispanic people in the Americas have a lot of indigenous roots from the people who were already living there before Europeans arrived. It makes sense to me why someone with that background wouldn't consider themselves white but a Spaniard would.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i mean, most of them are light skinned

andres iniesta looks like an it technician from dublin

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Whorelord posted:

i mean, most of them are light skinned

andres iniesta looks like an it technician from dublin

I think I worded it weird? I mean that the stars of Univision etc are generally lighter skinned so that's their artifical standard of beauty like how in the US are "famous" people are all thin etc. I'm not sure if I'm wording it correctly. This is a huge problem in Asia as well

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Barudak posted:

The issue is he writes like hes 6 years old and even though in his writing his wife is being unreasonable I hate him so much and want him to stop writing and believe hes probably in the wrong and his wife should be meaner to him.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I think I worded it weird? I mean that the stars of Univision etc are generally lighter skinned so that's their artifical standard of beauty like how in the US are "famous" people are all thin etc. I'm not sure if I'm wording it correctly. This is a huge problem in Asia as well

having lighter skin isn't an artificial standard of beauty for many Spaniards though

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
r/sex
Our 12 year old son found my hidden usb drive full of pics and videos of me and his mom (and others as we are swingers) having sex. I have no idea what to do. Help.
u/throwaway_wtf_doido

quote:

I explained sex is natural, and although I wish he wouldn’t have snooped and found this as it’s private adult stuff... that he was not in trouble. He has mentioned it was hard to get some of the images out of his head. What do I do?

Edit: I know I should have password protected it, or done a better job of keeping it out of his hands. It was in the back of my nightstand I have no idea how he found it. I wish I never made any of it or even swung at this point. I just want to know what the best way to handle this is

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Whorelord posted:

having lighter skin isn't an artificial standard of beauty for many Spaniards though

I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to say? No poo poo it isn't artifical for those that are already light skinned

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

CheesyDog posted:

r/sex
Our 12 year old son found my hidden usb drive full of pics and videos of me and his mom (and others as we are swingers) having sex. I have no idea what to do. Help.
u/throwaway_wtf_doido

lol. Yeah nothing you can do here, short of what you've already done. It probably won't gently caress him up too much though, any moreso than kids walking in on their parents having sex. Or least you hope so.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CheesyDog posted:

r/sex
u/throwaway_wtf_doido

Lol this is the good stuff.

Welcome to being an adult kid I hope you enjoy your stay.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Love the part where the kid apparently kept looking at images after seeing what was in there

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

tater_salad posted:

Check sent mail and previous versions in Windows (not sure if that's a thing on an normal PC or not....
Poor guy should def talk with Dean though.
Sucks he has no other versions I feel like I'd have it backed up on thumb drive and email and local PC.

It actually hurts me that he took it to geek squad. However, when I worked there and you came in with a sob story like "my ex deleted my thesis":

If I liked you, I'd stick my neck out to you and go to our secret software stash and grab the data recovery software that we were not allowed to use by corporate decree.

If I didn't like you but didn't hate you, I'd be frank and say, we don't do data recovery in store and while the "official" turnaround time is 2 weeks, we ship it out to a 3rd party and sometimes it can take up to 3 months depending on their backlog. Then I'd recommend you do some research into some local places that might offer that service.

If I hated you, I'd do what Geek Squad did to the OP.

I'm not saying the OP is an rear end in a top hat, but either the people he spoke to were dead, mindless robots focused on sales (a real possibility) or OP was a pretty uninteresting person who didn't really inspire other people to help him.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Asia and mainland Africa too! In Korea it took a week to find ONE spa/salon that wouldn't try pushing skin bleaching on all of my African-American colleagues, and that was in a fairly large city!
Granted, the position tends to reverse once you start dealing with diaspora populations, a lot of the "black is beautiful" mantra is pushed by people of African descent living outside Africa. Same with the pushback against the eye-fold surgery in Asian populations, it's huge in Korea, China, and Japan, but Japanese-Americans, Chinese-Americans, and Korean-Americans (or whichever outside country) may have more nuanced opinions on it.

You see that with a lot of cultural issues, where folks from the mainland will talk over generations raised outside the mainland. "Cultural appropriation" is the one I see most common, people from the home culture want to see it spread and succeed while diaspora populations see it as another loss of unique cultural identity.

In other words, white capitalism BAD.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

no capitalism is good

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Renegret posted:

It actually hurts me that he took it to geek squad. However, when I worked there and you came in with a sob story like "my ex deleted my thesis":

If I liked you, I'd stick my neck out to you and go to our secret software stash and grab the data recovery software that we were not allowed to use by corporate decree.

If I didn't like you but didn't hate you, I'd be frank and say, we don't do data recovery in store and while the "official" turnaround time is 2 weeks, we ship it out to a 3rd party and sometimes it can take up to 3 months depending on their backlog. Then I'd recommend you do some research into some local places that might offer that service.

If I hated you, I'd do what Geek Squad did to the OP.

I'm not saying the OP is an rear end in a top hat, but either the people he spoke to were dead, mindless robots focused on sales (a real possibility) or OP was a pretty uninteresting person who didn't really inspire other people to help him.

Out of curiosity, why didn't they want you using the software in store? Did they just get more money by shipping it off?

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
"I put all the guns, drugs, and cash in my nightstand! I can't figure out how the intruders saw through my foolproof scheme??!?!"

Also, gummy-thieving Grandma was disappointingly way less chill than gummy niece. Greatest generation my rear end.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
My (27m) wife (25f, together 8 years, married 6) refuses to leave our kids (6f and 3m) anywhere with an unrelated man, and it is starting to cause problems with my sister and her husband (30s, together 7 years, married 3)

quote:

I posted this on relationship advice last night, but I didn't really get a lot of replies, so I'm cross-posting here to see if there is anything else I am missing. I did get some good advice there, but I am posting it here too just because I would like to hear more viewpoints.

My wife is really protective. We had kids young and she is a wonderful housewife. Our son and daughter are homeschooled and she does a wonderful job of everything. She is a great mother, a wonderful cook, and just the best person I know. I feel happy knowing how safe she keeps our children, even though she is a bit of a helicopter parent. We have a great marriage aside from this issue. Since the kids were born, we have had a policy of never leaving them with any man besides me and their grandfathers. This is mostly her policy and just something I agreed to.

So far, it has worked out fine, but my wife is now refusing to leave the kids with my sister and her husband (30s, married 3 years, pregnant with first kid) at all. We plan to go out of town in a month and my wife is on the verge of cancelling our trip because my dad and his wife (60s, together 1 year, married 6 months) won't be able to take the kids while we are gone. My sister and her husband volunteered to take the kids and they seem like they really would like to, but my wife hates the idea because she is scared of leaving the kids with a man who they aren't related to.

So anyway, my wife went ahead and asked my sister if she could come stay at our house with the kids while we are out of town and if she could leave her husband at their house. My wife explained to her our policy about them not being with unrelated men without us present. Apparently, this offended my sister and she said no, but that they would still be happy to keep our kids at their house. She told my wife that she thought it was rude of her to request that since we are close and her husband has never done anything to make us distrust him. I agree with my sister on this generally, but I don't think she should have been offended. I know my wife doesn't really think sister's husband is a predator, but it's just a blanket policy we have. But then my sister said that we were being sexist towards her husband and that she was hurt that we would leave them with my dad and his wife even though they haven't been married as long (they have only been dating a year and they got married 6 months ago... frankly none of us really care for her but for some reason my wife is more ok with her). I talked to my sister and explained our policy as well and I told her that I trusted her and everything, but it was just a thing my wife had. Sister says they are hurt, but will try to get past it and reiterated to me that she thought we were being sexist against my brother in law. I don't think I agree with her on that and I think my wife just really deeply cares about her kids' safety, so I told her that I didn't think it was sexist and I apologized for anything my wife said to upset them. Hopefully that is enough.

My sister and her husband are close friends of ours and I see no reason why my kids should not be left with them. He is a pediatric nurse and the kids love him, but my wife is absolutely not budging on this. I feel like this is something that she eventually is going to have to get passed. Right now it isn't a big deal since she wanted to homeschool, but I don't like the idea of my kids never being able to go over to any of their friends houses without us. I'm also nervous that if my wife keeps this up, that my sister may get petty over it and not let us ever watch their kid. Our parents have never had a problem with this policy, but my sister seems to think we are being sexist and I guess that makes sense because the policy affects them more than anyone else. Divorce is not an option for me, it is something I don't want and am not even close to ever considering. I just really don't like being in the middle of this situation. I'm looking for a way to help my wife be comfortable with this and at the same time, I don't want to lose my relationship with my sister and her husband, since they are really our best friends.

My questions:

How normal is is for my wife to be this protective and what are things we can do to work on this? Is this something she really needs to be in therapy for? People in relationship_advice said that she should be in therapy, which isn't a thing she is particularly receptive towards. Also, how can I preserve my relationship with my sister and her husband? I don't want to side with her against my wife, but I also don't want her to think that I distrust her and her husband. I feel very caught in the middle of this and I hate it and I just want out.

Some more background details that may or may not be related: my wife and I are religious and my sister and her husband are not at all. They have promised us that they would never talk about religion to our kids and so far they have respected that boundary, though that caused a rift between my sister and wife early on in our marriage. My sister and I are close despite our differences. We have been through a lot together including losing our mom.

tl;dr: wife is being a helicopter parent and is refusing to leave kids around any man if we are not around (even if there will be other people there). I think it is becoming an issue and my sister is now hurt over it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Biohazard posted:

Out of curiosity, why didn't they want you using the software in store? Did they just get more money by shipping it off?

Licensing.

Just because you bought software doesn't mean you can use it to make money off of. A coworker brought in a copy of the data recovery software that he purchased for personal use but that didn't give us the freedom to use it commercially. That meant if we were caught using it, we opened the company up to a very, very expensive lawsuit and we'd instantly lose our jobs so the company could cover their own asses. We did it anyway, because nobody really values their best buy jobs very much. But that risk is why we only really went above and beyond for people who really deserved it.

That's why we couldn't use something like malware bytes even though it's technically "free". The company provided a list of approved software and we were only allowed to use only that software and nothing more.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Barudak posted:

If those gummies were in the nightstand grandma is a real nosy rear end guest.

I know, right? The only thing he should be looking for from reddit is a kaishakunin
Lives in Japan, goes to sushi place, orders the chicken tempura with honey mustard.

Just like the tendies back home :patriot:

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

My (27m) wife (25f, together 8 years, married 6) refuses to leave our kids (6f and 3m) anywhere with an unrelated man, and it is starting to cause problems with my sister and her husband (30s, together 7 years, married 3)

Looking forward to this follow up in a few years when the wife decides the younger brother is part of the blanket 'NO MEN' policy. :stare:

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

Looking forward to this follow up in a few years when the wife decides the younger brother is part of the blanket 'NO MEN' policy. :stare:

also, she's homeschooling them, apparently partially because male teachers exist, so they're never gonna see any other humans

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

One day she's going to decide that danger doesn't end where blood relations begin, and then dad will be cut off too.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Poor kids. I’d suggest therapy but of course she’s against that. This combined with the homeschooling and the fact that they’re apparently very religious is going to lead to a lot of trouble down the road.

Also lol at the dad being like “I want my kids to be able to go to their friends houses, but they’re homeschooled so this isn’t actually an issue.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
That mom is gonna raise a couple of religious nuts that are terrified of everything. Poor kids.