Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Bundy posted:

You don't have colleagues or friends with whom you disagree politically?

I don't tend to call people who think that starving the poor to death is an acceptable stance "friends"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bundy posted:

You don't have colleagues or friends with whom you disagree politically?

If one of my friends had Nigel Farage-level opinions they would very quickly stop being a friend

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

O'Brien is OK in clips and pointing out ridiculous problems, but in the longer term he's not doing anything towards actually fixing them. His whole show at the moment is getting the most batshit Leavers to call up so he can dismantle them, but that's not actually changing anyone's opinion, it's just playing to the FBPE crowd who are already converted. At the same time his show only even exists because LBC think he somehow balances out Farage and Nick Ferrari and Julia Hartley-Brewer (which he doesn't, because he's a centrist).

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

i'm not saying james o brien should be in a gulag but i'm also not not saying that

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

... - ..- ..-. ..-. / -... . .- -. ... / ..- .--. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .- .-. ... .

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Dead Goon posted:

... - ..- ..-. ..-. / -... . .- -. ... / ..- .--. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .- .-. ... .

Nigel Farage should defo do this it's 100% a good idea.

Preferably still in the cans, with a sledgehammer.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Morse code translator is the best :)

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

By all means, call out lovely politics/opinions, but surely that's a two sided coin? I've found James O'Brien's brexit commentary informative and entertaining this past week (hadn't heard of him beforehand tbh) and I didn't feel the need to double check his leftie credentials before forming my own opinion on his...well, opinions.

"You shouldn't poo poo on the poor" for example, is a pretty solid opinion that stands up on its own, it shouldn't matter whose mouth it came from?

I'm aware LBC also give a platform to the Farages and Reese-Moggs of this world but I don't listen to their shite, so, so what?

Before I start being labelled as "fash", I'm mostly pretty left and liberal about things and I seem to recall free speech as being something "our side" held dear and fought about when it came to censorship. I've had plenty of my own opinions changed, slightly adjusted and others galvanised through engagement with people whom I initially disagreed with; denying the right to air opinions you simply disagree with is a very slippery slope regardless of intentions.

That said, I'll keep anything LBC related to myself from here on in as it obviously doesn't jive with the room and I'm just here to talk poo poo about Brexit.

Disclaimer: No I'm not advocating hate speech, I don't think "free speech" means "free from consequences" and the Farages and JRMs of this world are utter, utter bastards.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It's not the same as having a loving awful work mate while you both work in a shop or whatever, LBC is a network which presents political discussion as normal and acceptable. If it was a fash network all the time then it would and should be condemned as such but by operating as a counterbalance to allowing it to platform Farage he becomes responsible and complicit in normalising such bigotry in public discourse because he has to acknowledge the overall impact of him acting as balance to such ideology or he's dangerously myopic in his attitude.

No platforming should only apply to fascism and I don't really think Farage qualifies but he's razor thin close in a lot of ways and that should allow people to never have any related association with him while keeping their dignity.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
dude (or dudette) it's okay that you didn't know, that's not a mark against you. we're telling you for that reason. guy trades on his anti-brexit persona for liberal cred to advocate for enormously reactionary politics, from the reactionary politics channel.

we have been dealing with the prick for a loooooooong time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bundy posted:

By all means, call out lovely politics/opinions, but surely that's a two sided coin? I've found James O'Brien's brexit commentary informative and entertaining this past week (hadn't heard of him beforehand tbh) and I didn't feel the need to double check his leftie credentials before forming my own opinion on his...well, opinions.

"You shouldn't poo poo on the poor" for example, is a pretty solid opinion that stands up on its own, it shouldn't matter whose mouth it came from?

I'm aware LBC also give a platform to the Farages and Reese-Moggs of this world but I don't listen to their shite, so, so what?

Before I start being labelled as "fash", I'm mostly pretty left and liberal about things and I seem to recall free speech as being something "our side" held dear and fought about when it came to censorship. I've had plenty of my own opinions changed, slightly adjusted and others galvanised through engagement with people whom I initially disagreed with; denying the right to air opinions you simply disagree with is a very slippery slope regardless of intentions.

That said, I'll keep anything LBC related to myself from here on in as it obviously doesn't jive with the room and I'm just here to talk poo poo about Brexit.

Disclaimer: No I'm not advocating hate speech, I don't think "free speech" means "free from consequences" and the Farages and JRMs of this world are utter, utter bastards.

The only consequence of having and expressing opinions like Farage's and Mogg's should be social isolation, deplatforming, firing, and generally all the things that make it socially unacceptable to be a fascist.

Giving fascists platforms makes more fascists. Making more fascisst makes dead minorities.

It doesn't matter if you also sometimes mock them.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Is Peston allowed? He gives Johnson a decent bludgeoning here:

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1113721705254596608

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
nigel farage isn't even the worst on the channel, as far as i understand it. there's the dude all the cabbies love.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Free speech applying to fash was an idea that seemed to make a lot more sense back before Trump and Brexit. Now I think of it as more of a Popper's tolerance paradox thing - if you tolerate the speech of fascists, they'll eventually win, and then there will be no free speech at all. So stamp them all out with the heavy iron boots of the state.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Bundy posted:

Is Peston allowed? He gives Johnson a decent bludgeoning here

like i get why you may think these people are ok if you don't follow the things they say repeatedly on twitter but they're very bad people op

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
James O'Brien was fairly well appreciated in here a few years back, but things have changed a lot since then.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Any chance Bojo gets to play his posh thicko act is a chance wasted to not let him do that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are no good people, as a rule, especially not people on the telly. They can have occasional utility but basic rule is everyone with money and a platform is more bad than good.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
You don't have to personally stan for people who are occasionally good, OP, or get personally flustered when we tell you they're actually mostly shite.

They're not your dad (or are they?!?), you don't need to defend them, you don't need to have any personal stakes in them.

Chill

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
One of the advantages of Twitter is that it's taught me that most public figures are pretty petty and spiteful and can be easily owned by nobodies quoting their own words and behaviour back at them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

And perhaps more generally, no, the truth is not in the middle.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

OwlFancier posted:

There are no good people, as a rule, especially not people on the telly. They can have occasional utility but basic rule is everyone with money and a platform is more bad than good.
Counterexample: hbomberguy has about 5000 backers on Patreon and is definitely more good than bad.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

That journo getting mad over the video of him saying Leave would be really easy sent me a pissy tweet just because I liked the message of someone arguing against him. Also Jose made him so nuts.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

he blocked me on twitter like a coward

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pumpinglemma posted:

Counterexample: hbomberguy has about 5000 backers on Patreon and is definitely more good than bad.

I still prefer to view him through the lens of producing consistently good takes, rather than on a personal level. There are a few options on alternate media outlets sure, but I don't think their platform is quite the same as a trad media platform.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

That journo getting mad over the video of him saying Leave would be really easy sent me a pissy tweet just because I liked the message of someone arguing against him. Also Jose made him so nuts.

wait really? i didn't get any notifications so i assumed he ignored it

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
O'Brien yelling at idiots is catharsis. But that's all it is.

He shits his pants at the prospect of actual substantive change - he's one of many centrist idiots who thinks that if we could only turn back time to before austerity, it'll all be good again, and loving ignoring everything that' led up to it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Wait there's a lot of people calling Farage fascist in here. Why? He's a massive bigot and definitely a demagogue but there's little fascism there, most of his attitude is English nationalism.

Bundy posted:

Is Peston allowed? He gives Johnson a decent bludgeoning here:

https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1113721705254596608

Peston is an interesting case - he understands that the world order is failing to deliver and so is failing, but have leapt to the idea that extra national institutions like the EU and NATO can save us without seeing them as products of, instead thinking of them as solutions to, that failing society.

So he's been supportive of Corbyn to an extent (certainly one of the more positive UK journalists) but still produces some really strange opinions.

brian posted:

like i get why you may think these people are ok if you don't follow the things they say repeatedly on twitter but they're very bad people op

Hang on let's not harang people for not obsessing over Twitter. They're probably happier than we are.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jose posted:

wait really? i didn't get any notifications so i assumed he ignored it

He's being all sniffy about your follower count. How dare you make fun of him!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

He's being all sniffy about your follower count. How dare you make fun of him!

lmao he's blocked me

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/reporterboy/status/1113825843783053313

lolololol

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Barry Foster posted:

You don't have to personally stan for people who are occasionally good, OP, or get personally flustered when we tell you they're actually mostly shite.

They're not your dad (or are they?!?), you don't need to defend them, you don't need to have any personal stakes in them.

Chill

actually if your dad's a prick you don't need to defend him either

e: signed, someone with a prick dad who would get absolutely raked if he ever posted his opinions outside of telegraph comments

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Bundy posted:

You haven't hung out with many people on the left if you think free speech is one of our treasured values. People have no right to air their opinions if their opinions are objectively harmful to others.

And lefty credentials are pretty important. It makes a difference if Galaxy O'Brien is saying 'don't poo poo on the poor' one day but spending the next day attacking anyone who seriously proposes not making GBS threads on the poor as policy. He doesn't actually want anything to change and that colours all of his commentary.

Edit: Peston seems like someone who actually tries to be objective, but he suffers really hard from the Chomsky corollary that he wouldn't be a top journalist if he didn't have an incredibly blinkered political worldview.

jabby fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 4, 2019

brian
Sep 11, 2001

namesake posted:

Hang on let's not harang people for not obsessing over Twitter. They're probably happier than we are.

literally no haranguing is going on but then again you obsess over twitter so i don't blame you for being needlessly dramatic, YOU loving IDOIT

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i want to lose a follower because i'm close to 1488 tweets/420 following/69 followers and i'm a child

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Nuclear Spoon posted:

actually if your dad's a prick you don't need to defend him either

e: signed, someone with a prick dad who would get absolutely raked if he ever posted his opinions outside of telegraph comments

Yeah fair point and ditto

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

this thread trying to out-left each other is pretty fuckin embarrassing at times

if someone finds something fuckface obrien says funny then let them

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

lomarf

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
has anything actually happened or is it still just yelling and yelling

also is labour really solidly anti freedom of movement cause i thought that was cost do entry or single market or customs union or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

brian posted:

literally no haranguing is going on but then again you obsess over twitter so i don't blame you for being needlessly dramatic, YOU loving IDOIT

You. Me. Car park. Now. Tweets at 10 paces.

bump_fn posted:

has anything actually happened or is it still just yelling and yelling

also is labour really solidly anti freedom of movement cause i thought that was cost do entry or single market or customs union or something

No it's all yelling.

Also Labours position is vague which is not good when the status quo is very anti migrant and they'll be inheriting a very hostile environment. To start fixing things they really have to be forcibly pro migrant or they will get worn down by institutional inertia and just bad political perspective.

namesake fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 4, 2019