Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Pikey posted:

Looking for a survival first person explorer. Ideally, something that delivers the experience of Rust (make a base, loot, explore, first person combat, high risk of losing everything on you if you die) without the frustration of being offline raided. Other games I really enjoyed in this vein include STALKER (without the base building of course, but the feeling of exploration and open world was excellent), subnautica, and the long dark.

I tried the forest but bounced off if a little, in part because I just came off of subnautica and in part that the lack of crafting recipes drove me a little crazy

Anything can be free of offline raiding if you play local or run your own server! The only problem with Rust is that there's no other reason to play if there's no raiding.

7 Days to Die (the 'endgame' is to make a base impervious to the 7 day Zombie raid and also build helicopters)
Conan Exiles (has PvE bosses to hunt, but not enough of them)
Ark (basically the same game as Conan with less PvE but still some PvE)
Atlas? (literally Ark but Pirates)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Pikey posted:

Looking for a survival first person explorer. Ideally, something that delivers the experience of Rust (make a base, loot, explore, first person combat, high risk of losing everything on you if you die) without the frustration of being offline raided. Other games I really enjoyed in this vein include STALKER (without the base building of course, but the feeling of exploration and open world was excellent), subnautica, and the long dark.

I tried the forest but bounced off if a little, in part because I just came off of subnautica and in part that the lack of crafting recipes drove me a little crazy

I know it's not first person, but you might want to try Kenshi, it ticks a lot of the things you want.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

I know it's not first person, but you might want to try Kenshi, it ticks a lot of the things you want.

As a bonus, it even has a demo that is basically the entire game, but it caps your stats and how many people can be in a party.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Pikey posted:

Not an empty quote, I want this too.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

McFrugal posted:

Can someone recommend me a good wilderness survival game? Preferably winter-themed. I tried The Long Dark but the mechanics are absolutely awful, both in realism and fun factor.
I've played Don't Starve.

Rimworld, as long as you don't mind it being more of a colony management game rather than direct control / first person survival.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

McFrugal posted:

Can someone recommend me a good wilderness survival game? Preferably winter-themed. I tried The Long Dark but the mechanics are absolutely awful, both in realism and fun factor.
I've played Don't Starve.

Unreal World. Posted already yes but I'm +1ing it because it fits perfectly. The game is all about struggling to survive the inhospitable Finnish winter and probably succumbing to either frostbite or a badger attack.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I like the story, look and characters in upbeat Anime games (Tales series, Atelier Series, Dragon Quest etc.) But JRPG turn-based combat bores the heck outta me.

Any good ones that either eschew the standard turn based combat or mix up the formula enough to make it interesting? (Valkeria Chronicles held my attention but just barely)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I like the story, look and characters in upbeat Anime games (Tales series, Atelier Series, Dragon Quest etc.) But JRPG turn-based combat bores the heck outta me.

Any good ones that either eschew the standard turn based combat or mix up the formula enough to make it interesting? (Valkeria Chronicles held my attention but just barely)

The God Eater series is more or less that kind of anime plot told through a hunting action game that is superficially similar to Monster Hunter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wandersong
Ace Combat
Okami
The Wonderful 101

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 29, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Is the Tales of series sort of fighting still not active enough for you, or did you mention it more for its anime-ess than its battle system? Just asking to help me think of what maybe to suggest.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really liked Megaman Battle Network for that. Another hybrid turn-based system where you get to pick your attack abilities at regular intervals, but then you have to hop around on a 3x3 grid shooting and dodging. 3 is probably my favorite.

There's also games like Golf Story or Super Paper Mario that try to take the more JRPG formula and just don't do turn-based combat at all, if that's what you're into. Maybe Dragonquest Builders? Ni No Kuni is also supposed to be more action-y.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Is the Tales of series sort of fighting still not active enough for you, or did you mention it more for its anime-ess than its battle system? Just asking to help me think of what maybe to suggest.

Some good suggestions so far, thanks. The Tales series was active enough, for the most part, and I like the style. Maybe what I should have asked for was Anime games that respect my time.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Some good suggestions so far, thanks. The Tales series was active enough, for the most part, and I like the style. Maybe what I should have asked for was Anime games that respect my time.

Can you get Ys 8 on a console? I like it quite a bit on PC but can't really recommend it without reservations because it does still crash sometimes and (gently caress) NISA gave up on trying to fix their mess any further. I'm assuming (hoping?) it's more stable on a console.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I played Ni No Kuni 2 over the summer and quite enjoyed it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yakuza 0 is another game that's JRPG as all hell while eschewing turn-based JRPG gameplay.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Is there anything like Evil genious made in the last few years, or something that scratches that itch?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nuclear War posted:

Is there anything like Evil genious made in the last few years, or something that scratches that itch?

Nothing like it, no. What about it are you looking for? The theme? The gameplay?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Nuclear War posted:

If you mean gameplay, then rimworld or one of the other dwarf fortress style games would probably work.

If you mean the 60's superspy aesthetic, then not really.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nuclear War posted:

nope not in the last few years. Evil genius is an iteration on the dungeon keeper and startopia games, but neither one goes as far in the comedic traps direction.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nuclear War posted:

double nine posted:

nope not in the last few years. Evil genius is an iteration on the dungeon keeper and startopia games, but neither one goes as far in the comedic traps direction.

If this specifically is the appeal, consider Orcs Must Die. It's a tower defense, not a management sim, but they're closer cousins than you might think.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I'm honestly not sure WHAT I like about Evil Genious. I think its the whole 'build a base and defend it agains the good guys' thing, combined with humour and autonomous minions going around doing their own stuff so I can people watch them. I have Rimworld and i love it, but its not the exact same thing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Overlord is about a decade old, and it's Pikmin-style strategy rather than base building, but it might work.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Nuclear War posted:

I'm honestly not sure WHAT I like about Evil Genious. I think its the whole 'build a base and defend it agains the good guys' thing, combined with humour and autonomous minions going around doing their own stuff so I can people watch them. I have Rimworld and i love it, but its not the exact same thing.

Have you played Majesty? It's way more autonomous than Evil Genius but it might scratch the same itch.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Gonna go with either Startopia or the new Two Point Hospital. Both have this whimsical feel to them that I think you might be in to.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Has there been anything good on PC in the past two or three years with age of sail tall ship stuff?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

McFrugal posted:

Have you played Majesty? It's way more autonomous than Evil Genius but it might scratch the same itch.

BTW anyone who hasn't played Majesty owes it to themselves to try. The HD version with the expansion is $10 on Steam and routinely goes on sale for $5. It's a truly unique RTS/city builder? where you build the buildings but can't control what the units (fantasy heroes like wizards, warriors, rangers, etc) do directly. Very clever and unique. The graphics held up well with age, too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuclear War posted:

Not quite the same but maybe try Tropico?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Thirding this. Majesty 1 not Majesty 2.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Thanks guys, imma pick up majesty and the hospital one. They both look like they'll be up my alley. Also, just putting this out there. Someone should remake black and white. That's be perfect.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nuclear War posted:

Thanks guys, imma pick up majesty and the hospital one. They both look like they'll be up my alley. Also, just putting this out there. Someone should remake black and white. That's be perfect.

I mean there's a KS for a totally-not-black-and-white-okay-it-is right now. It's asking for a mere 25k though and shares a name with a game from my youth I hated so I'm guessing even if it funds it won't end well.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Deformed Church posted:

Has there been anything good on PC in the past two or three years with age of sail tall ship stuff?

They made a new Sea Dogs game but I haven't gotten around to playing it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

The most recent hits have been Obra Dinn (a mystery-solving game based in the age of sale) and Sea of Thieves (an mmo). If you haven't checked out Assassin's Creed 4 by now, you should maybe give it a chance too, it's not really a modern version of Sid Meier's Pirates, but it can be really reminiscent.

If it's the experience of ship-to-ship combat you're after, I'd recommend checking out World of Warships or maybe some space games like Star Control Origins or Battlefleet Gothic.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Deformed Church posted:

I can't speak to its quality, but take a look at Windward.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What are some games where multiplayer works well with players from across the world? We have players on the US Pacific coast and central Europe.

I know Minecraft and Europa Universalis from experience work well under these conditions. I wouldn't imagine shooters and action games being great unless we could force it to use a East coast server..

Someone floated the idea of DOTA autochess and... i guess?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 6, 2019

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Heran Bago posted:

What are some games where multiplayer works well with players from across the world? We have players on the US Pacific coast and central Europe.

I know Minecraft and Europa Universalis from experience work well under these conditions. I wouldn't imagine shooters and action games being great unless we could force it to use a East coast server..

Fighting games that use GGPO esque netcode also works well.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The most recent hits have been Obra Dinn (a mystery-solving game based in the age of sale)

I have to ask, because I know nothing about Obra Dinn: is this meant to say “age of sail?” Either way, age of sale evokes a lot of thoughts in my mind.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Heran Bago posted:

Worms

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Nalesh posted:

Wow, do you have some examples? I thought fighting game across the ocean would have been a no-go with the latency.

Worms is an excellent suggestion.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Heran Bago posted:

Wow, do you have some examples? I thought fighting game across the ocean would have been a no-go with the latency.

Worms is an excellent suggestion.

Skullgirls is a decently easy to get into one(Has a pretty good tutorial even for complete newbies to the genre), I(Residing in scandinavia) has played people from places like israel and west coast US without too much trouble. Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 might be good too but haven't personally tested the netcode on that one, also has real good tutorials(Albeit with characters that take a bit higher skill floor than skullgirls)

I also hear that Killer Instincts netcode is black magic in some cases, if you want something more western. It's f2p on the windows store and a buy in pack on steam that has all characters etc(no crossplay between the two)

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nalesh posted:

Sort of. GGPO is much better than the alternatives, but nothing actually makes fighting games work across overseas connections, it would take science fiction technology to do that.

You can still play them but the difference in timing means you're playing a different game than was actually designed; things that should be punishable become safe, things that should be reactable become guessing games, etc.