Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Bajaha posted:

1. Panel vans, commercial buses, and a wide assortment of other commercial vehicles already have no direct rear line of sight and rely solely on side mirrors and braille.

I've noticed this, most things I drive don't have a back window and the rest of the time there is a trailer behind me. You stop using the mirror even when there's nothing behind you. The rear-view mirror in my truck is really only there to line up with the hitch on hook-up. For everything else, GOAL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I feel like I would do just fine driving any of these new cars with gunner slot windows in the back. My work van has no windows in the back. I’ve gotten used to getting honked at when I start backing up because I have no loving clue if a car is coming. I always try to back into places but it’s not always possible. Whenever it happens it reminds me to look into installing a wide angle backup camera but :effort:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

david_a posted:

The horrible folded up seating position combined with the extremely hard suspension felt like it jarred all the air out of my lungs.

GOOD.

If it had floaty GT car suspension it wouldn't be an Elise.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've been noticing a new counterpart to the Jeep bro. The Jeep Boomer. They're not as offensive, but they always have frigging "Willys" vinyl on the hood. Or Willy's. Or Willis. Seem them all. So tacky.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

opengl128 posted:

I've been noticing a new counterpart to the Jeep bro. The Jeep Boomer. They're not as offensive, but they always have frigging "Willys" vinyl on the hood. Or Willy's. Or Willis. Seem them all. So tacky.

Willys is a trim level, or was, I'm not sure. Like Sahara or Rubicon but different.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

stevobob posted:

Willys is a trim level, or was, I'm not sure. Like Sahara or Rubicon but different.

Huh, had no idea. Figured it was old dudes trying to make fake army jeeps.

e: welp: https://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/2014-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-willys-wheeler-editio-225718

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
IT'S A JEEP THING

Ugh.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
its a jeep thing i scream as my water pump disintegrates and cabin electrics fail

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Can we talk for a minute about the propensity for people to call wide-spread suspension/steering issues "The Death Wobble"? poo poo is stupid. It's a known issue. I don't call a poorly designed head with progressively hosed lifters "the tick of death". Why would anyone else do something that dumb?

Jeeps and a lot of jeep owners are stupid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Can we talk for a minute about the propensity for people to call wide-spread suspension/steering issues "The Death Wobble"? poo poo is stupid. It's a known issue. I don't call a poorly designed head with progressively hosed lifters "the tick of death". Why would anyone else do something that dumb?

brb, gonna make The Tick of Death a thing

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

its a jeep thing i scream as my water pump disintegrates and cabin electrics fail

jeep cj-7: cabin electrics can't fail if there's no cabin electrics

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

If I want to describe that particular problem to some not familiar with it, guess what I Google to show the best results? The internet says it's too late for any other nomenclature.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Worn/loose linkage induced oscillation doesn't quite have the same ring to it :shrug:

Also why are you melting down over this term? Some bikers also use the term death wobble, and they have other little terms for it too (e.g. tank-slapper).

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Big guy, small car talk: I was 100% convinced of buying the Alfa Romeo 4C Spider until I opened the door. :smith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

When your foot wells are full of water because your Wrangler daily driver soft top leaked, if there's a bad enough electrical problem you're not exactly going to notice it.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

tuna posted:

Worn/loose linkage induced oscillation doesn't quite have the same ring to it :shrug:

Also why are you melting down over this term? Some bikers also use the term death wobble, and they have other little terms for it too (e.g. tank-slapper).

The problem comes from these fucks assigning the name to literally any front end issues with their jeeps. Death Wobble has become just "things don't feel right". It would only be a little annoyance otherwise, like hearing someone say atm machine.

Anecdotal source: helping 4 seperate people fix their poo poo vehicles, all with different problems they called death wobble.

With bikes, I'm partial to "hospital wobble"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

The problem comes from these fucks assigning the name to literally any front end issues with their jeeps. Death Wobble has become just "things don't feel right". It would only be a little annoyance otherwise, like hearing someone say atm machine.

Anecdotal source: helping 4 seperate people fix their poo poo vehicles, all with different problems they called death wobble.

With bikes, I'm partial to "hospital wobble"

tank slapper on motorcycles

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Pham Nuwen posted:

jeep cj-7: cabin electrics can't fail if there's no cabin electrics

lmao :golfclap:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Lifter tick won’t put you in a ditch.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

tank slapper on motorcycles

Tank slapper kind of rhymes with pants crapper, for good reason

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MomJeans420 posted:

Tank slapper kind of rhymes with pants crapper, for good reason

I see you've met the Triumph 675 also

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

AKA how I learned that my method of grabbing a fistful of throttle to rev the engine (and speed off) when a car almost merges into you on the freeway is maybe less ideal than just using the horn. Especially if you do it as you're cresting a hill.

I honestly don't even have the muscle memory for the horn on the bike, it would take me a second or two to find it

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Finger Prince posted:

Same. The Chrrrr is a ridiculous looking thing. It looks like some kind of gundam. A boring grocery getter Toyota CUV has no business looking like that, and I'm very glad it does.

Saw this in a mall in Japan:

Chunky wide offroad tires make this look like a pretty good car.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

MomJeans420 posted:

I honestly don't even have the muscle memory for the horn on the bike, it would take me a second or two to find it

that's because if you aren't pulling out of an alley using your horn is truly terrible car stuff for bad drivers

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Last time I went to hit the horn on my bike I went for the starter button instead, oops

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

shy boy from chess club posted:

Last time I went to hit the horn on my bike I went for the starter button instead, oops

I tried to use the horn to warn a driver that she was turning the wrong way onto a one-way street but to no effect. It's not a very loud horn...

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
my favorite thing about people that honk as a way to vent aggression is that they will almost always wildly fling past you as soon as you let them only to then immediately slam on the brakes at the next red light as you eventually catch up to them to give the 50cent.gif look at 10mph with a rolling start through the next wave of greens

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Thief posted:

that's because if you aren't pulling out of an alley using your horn is truly terrible car stuff for bad drivers

Yeah the correct decision is to slow down or speed up as necessary, not lay on the horn and then everyone proceeds to step 1

If you have over three hunnert horsepower just gun it

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Thief posted:

my favorite thing about people that honk as a way to vent aggression is that they will almost always wildly fling past you as soon as you let them only to then immediately slam on the brakes at the next red light as you eventually catch up to them to give the 50cent.gif look at 10mph with a rolling start through the next wave of greens

Nothing makes me happier on the roads than driving conservatively and smoothly and overtaking people who are blasting off from every light, tailgating and generally being a dickhead. It's just a less efficient way of driving.

yes, I am a middle aged dad, why do you ask?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Memento posted:

Nothing makes me happier on the roads than driving conservatively and smoothly and overtaking people who are blasting off from every light, tailgating and generally being a dickhead. It's just a less efficient way of driving.

yes, I am a middle aged dad, why do you ask?

The type of vehicle you're driving also changes your perspective drastically. Going from my daily driver to an old heavy 1960's vehicle with lap belts, bench seating and bad brakes, life definitely slows down a lot. I literally turn into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o77OI8xzTg

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB14ey7uO1s&t=15s

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was about to give this the benefit of the doubt and say maybe I'd rock it if I was really high and it had a ton of horsepower, but looking at it closer that's a trike?!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah.

You know when things are bad are when you think a Camry is interesting car design.

My dad has a 2018, and.... it's a downright nice car. The design isn't trying to be as bland as possible like Toyota was doing in the 00s. Toyota and Honda were in a race to see who could make the most boring looking car.

Meanwhile my mother is looking for a new car, and I can't convince her to test drive a Camry. "There's no way it can be as nice as my Avalon!". Her Avalon is a 2003.... it's was a nice car for 1998, it was dated by 2003. Instead she wants to look at Lexus SUVs/CUVs (also she constantly bitches about the mpg in her Avalon.. the 4 banger Camry has more hp than her V6 (though a bit less torque), and cranks out 30+ mpg easily.)

Bajaha posted:

2. As with the first rule of Italian driving, "What's-a behind me, doesn't matter"

Until you stop.

Because it's usually fire that's behind you. :v:

That Works posted:

When your foot wells are full of water because your Wrangler daily driver soft top leaked, if there's a bad enough electrical problem you're not exactly going to notice it.

I saw a guy driving a topless/doorless Wrangler in pouring rain awhile back. In a suit, looking loving miserable. I got a good laugh when a bunch of water sloshed out when he took a turn.

I mean... if I dailied a Wrangler, I'd be checking the weather every day, if not every hour.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Kind of like that they took the slingshot's design ethos to 11.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

let's buy an open-top vehicle, and then, put a top on it!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fakeaccount posted:

let's buy an open-top vehicle, and then, put a top on it!

KTM does it for their racing spec x-bows

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

lordofthefishes posted:

Kind of like that they took the slingshot's design ethos to 11.

I'm 90% certain that is a Slingshot underneath, judging by the hood, fenders, and headlights.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I saw one of these a few weekends ago. It was horrible.

The driver and passenger side rooflets lift up independently when you get in/out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

MetaJew posted:

I saw one of these a few weekends ago. It was horrible.

The driver and passenger side rooflets lift up independently when you get in/out of it.

All the benefits of having a roof with none of the benefits of having a roof.