Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Drone Jett posted:

Turned out to be an early April fools joke.

Not before chuds had the chance to lose their minds over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I hope GRRM's spite re-write involves not making Stannis a total piece of poo poo who just loses and dies because it snowed.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
instead, he wins the throne and Queen Shireen rules the land for four score years

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
inshallah

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im ok with Stannis losing because it snowed. What is really stupid is Stannis burning his daughter to stop snowing and then losing anyway

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Brienne calling Renly the rightful King is the cherry on top though. His entire argument for going to war was "legitimacy is bullshit, I have the biggest army so I'm gonna conquer the throne, #YOLO".

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah but only nerds like Ned and Stannis still gave a poo poo about proper order of succession after Robert took the throne by force.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

YaketySass posted:

Brienne calling Renly the rightful King is the cherry on top though. His entire argument for going to war was "legitimacy is bullshit, I have the biggest army so I'm gonna conquer the throne, #YOLO".

Which is ironic because he was the Baratheon with the least experience of war and fighting.

Also "Might makes right" makes for unreliable allies.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
in a weird way a Baratheon taking the throne with a big rear end army and saying drat the rules is more proper according to recent precedent.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I hope GRRM's spite re-write involves not making Stannis a total piece of poo poo who just loses and dies because it snowed.

I hope GRRM’s fitness program involves him winning the NYC marathon.

If I had to bet on one of these to come true, I think I’d have to pick the marathon.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
it is known

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm calling this now: the jacked up seasons are because this isn't taking place on a planet as we know it. They're all on the inside of a Dyson sphere or they're living in the interior of a planet, in the inverted "underworld" side and receive their warmth from the planet's core somehow suspended overhead rather than an actual star. The day/night cycle is controlled by a series of rotating panels around the star/core that somewhat resembles a Dyson swarm, similar to Ringworld.

This is clearly the true explanation. :colbert:

...! fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 4, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

...! posted:

I'm calling this now: the jacked up seasons are because this isn't taking place on a planet as we know it. They're all on the inside of a Dyson sphere or they're living in the interior of a planet, in the inverted "underworld" side and receive their warmth from the planet's core somehow overhead rather than an actual star. The day/night cycle is controlled by a series of rotating panels around the star/core that somewhat resembles a Dyson swarm, similar to Ringworld.

Obviously, its in the intro to every episode.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

...! posted:

I'm calling this now: the jacked up seasons are because this isn't taking place on a planet as we know it. They're all on the inside of a Dyson sphere or they're living in the interior of a planet, in the inverted "underworld" side and receive their warmth from the planet's core somehow overhead rather than an actual star. The day/night cycle is controlled by a series of rotating panels around the star/core that somewhat resembles a Dyson swarm, similar to Ringworld.

Why would that cause irregular seasons?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

...! posted:

I hope it turns out the entire book was just a simulation run on a computer in that weird exposition dump room in Chrono Cross. No one would see it coming!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I hope it turns out the entire book was just a simulation run on a computer in that weird exposition dump room in Chrono Cross. No one would see it coming!

The prequel show is actually a sequel and will kill off all the surviving fan favorite characters in an oblique flashback that still manages to piss on whatever is left of their dignity.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Solice Kirsk posted:

as SA's resident Chrono Cross stan, I approve of this ending

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

According to Jon Weiner who co-hosts a podcast talking NY Sports, he really wants GRRM on his show but his publicist keeps saying he is unavailable and was "holed up finishing the book". His publicist then said he's available after the 5th April. (See this tweet and the one below it.)

Combined with a lot of New York trips (much more than usual since the start of the year, and seemingly nothing to do with the recent GoT premiere) and GRRM's recent teasing (again!) on his NotABlog (see here he basically implies at the bottom that he's been writing hard - remember that he uses Kermit the frog to hint at TWOW/ASOIAF stuff and he's confirmed that TWOW is his only writing project at the moment). This seems to line up with the above idea that he's been "holed up finishing the book". Not to mention, the brand spanking new Twitter picture he posted a week or so ago which suspiciously looks like an author headshot for a new book.

I know this at the moment is probably just hearsay, but I think things are just lining up recently that make it feel - more than ever - that TWOW is 99% complete and GRRM is about to drop the bomb.

There has been a definite shift in GRRM's mood over the past months or so. Remember he used to be quite standoffish/depressed/miserable most of the time which was probably because his progress was floundering (especially since he thought he was going to be finished in October 2015, remember that?!) but now he seems more overtly cheerful, happier and although I do not like commenting on people's weight and appearance, he looks a lot healthier these days.

quote:

He is available after 4/5/19 because he travelled to NY for the Season 8 premiere.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

The prequel show is actually a sequel and will kill off all the surviving fan favorite characters in an oblique flashback that still manages to piss on whatever is left of their dignity.

Bran becomes a sentient mushroom and brands himself FunGuy.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

He seems happy because he knows that in a couple of weeks he won't have to care about this dumb series ever again.

The show ending will liberate us all.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

He seems happy because he knows that in a couple of weeks he won't have to care about this dumb series ever again.

Are you kidding? People are still going to constantly ask him about it. He just won't be in the media spotlight anymore.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

oh my sweet summer child, it will never end

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

less laughter posted:

I really loving hate this fantasy trope of societies that basically don't change for thousands of years.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

less laughter posted:

Prequel? Naomi Watts!? Jesus Christ this dumb franchise will never go away.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

pseudanonymous posted:

I really loving hate this fantasy trope of societies that basically don't change for thousands of years.

I blame the Faufreluches.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I blame the Faufreluches.

At least there it made some sense, the ruling class was actively anti-technology and trying to suppress change to keep in power. I don't recall mechanisms like that in almost any fantasy book, though I'm sure some posters know otherwise.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the worst part is naomi watts means i'm destined to watch it by default

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I hope she plays Rhaena Targaryen

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

isn't the prequel set before targs exist

pseudanonymous posted:

Why would that cause irregular seasons?

the AI controlling the megastructure's artificial lighting system likes to screw with humans

and periodically goes "gently caress yall, i'm turning this off for fifteen years" in no particular pattern

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

esperterra posted:

as SA's resident Chrono Cross stan, I approve of this ending

Chrono cross is better than chrono trigger and I'm pissed there's no way to play it on any current console

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Look the good news it's a television project starring Naomi Watts; it's gonna get cancelled after a season max.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

PupsOfWar posted:

isn't the prequel set before targs exist

the AI controlling the megastructure's artificial lighting system likes to screw with humans

and periodically goes "gently caress yall, i'm turning this off for fifteen years" in no particular pattern

Truly the most absolute of fuckers.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

PupsOfWar posted:

GRRM referring to the computer he writes the books on.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Fhate posted:

Well played. The ultimate "it's all just a simulation" ending.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

jit bull transpile posted:

Chrono cross is better than chrono trigger and I'm pissed there's no way to play it on any current console
I'm pretty sure there are psx emulators for switch now.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Fhate posted:

Lmfao

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
The sci-fi ending/prequel would leave so many "fantasy" fans so mad, so I hope it happens

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

whowhatwhere posted:

Look the good news it's a television project starring Naomi Watts; it's gonna get cancelled after a season max.

They'll kill her at the end of the first season in a cargo cult attempt at recreating the Eddard thing lol.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That would be really funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taxenema
Feb 17, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

The prequel also has Jamie Campbell Bower in it who stunk up the screen as King Arthur in that starz Camelot show. I hope that he isn’t someone we have to see a lot or if he is he needs to be someone like Theon or like an older Joffrey type. He could play an excellent insufferable royal as long as they don’t have him fight because he couldn’t pull off King Arthur at all. I don’t think I will ever forget how the lack of charisma and stage presence that he displayed as Arthur. It was like he was trying to portray Arthur as a contemptuous weakling.

Actually now that I think about it he would have made an excellent Theon and an even better Reek.