Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

read all of this before scrolling down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Gripweed posted:

You know how they say that the jester was the only member of the royal court who could speak unwelcome truths to the king? That was literally never true. The most famous court jester was a guy named Roland the Farter whose entire act was a combination of acrobatics and his ability to fart on command. Another famous jester was a little person who the king would put between two loaves of bread and pretend to eat like a sandwich. All jesters just did slapstick and dick and fart jokes, the idea that they did cutting political commentary is a complete historical myth made up by Jon Stewart fans

That doesn't have anything to do with what you said but I just wanted to talk about Roland the Farter

pretty low bar for being funny though. what's funny? biden being a creep? trump dunking on biden? none of the above. I.m.h.o

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gripweed posted:

The guy died recently :(

But I think he'd appreciate his legacy being in the funny pictures thread.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Gripweed posted:

You know how they say that the jester was the only member of the royal court who could speak unwelcome truths to the king? That was literally never true. The most famous court jester was a guy named Roland the Farter whose entire act was a combination of acrobatics and his ability to fart on command. Another famous jester was a little person who the king would put between two loaves of bread and pretend to eat like a sandwich. All jesters just did slapstick and dick and fart jokes, the idea that they did cutting political commentary is a complete historical myth made up by Jon Stewart fans

That doesn't have anything to do with what you said but I just wanted to talk about Roland the Farter

This is a little obtuse. I have never read anything historical supporting the jester speaking truth to power, nor have I read anyone else claiming it. I don't think most people believe it's a historical fact but that doesn't keep literature like King Lear from creating and reinforcing the archetype.

tl;dr: things don't have to be historically true to be valid concepts of cultural importance.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

Gripweed posted:

I've criticized the guy a lot in the past, the only things I agree with him on are that NATO is a pointless institution and that gif of Joe Biden is funny.

I put GG on ignore after it became apparent that nothing posted from that account was worthwhile. I put Gripweed on ignore as I realized it was a new GG account, but every now and then I'll click through the 'Jerk detected' warning just to see if anything has changed. It hasn't.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
This is the reason why the Trump tweet is funny

https://twitter.com/LizardRumsfeld/status/1113870785540698112?s=19

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/BigPaulieDoyle/status/1113474757171847170

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Mulboyne/status/1113827519961022465

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Loooooooooon looooooooon release daaaaaate

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Nobody knows what the gently caress this is you insufferable weeaboo shithead

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I got it, and it's hilarious. *teleports behind you*

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

its the name of the new era in japan, maybe if you were a little more studied on international news you would understand simple things

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That is a good pun. "Person in house" on top of "person in skirt cooking with a pot" does contain "pi" and "70."

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I don't live in a box so I got it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I tried singing this to the tune of YMCA and it didn't work :sigh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

World politics important to everyone

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's usually a good idea to google things to double check you haven't missed a days-old headline before talking poo poo. Good lord.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I didn’t get it but I’m old and out of touch and don’t understand the majority of things posted, but I enjoy what I do get so thank you all for doing as such, as-salamu alaykum

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Obviously like this
https://youtu.be/y-sBROXalU4

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

I tried singing this to the tune of YMCA and it didn't work :sigh:

You just gotta keep singing through the buildup and you end up at MAS-TUR-BA-TOR which works way too well

Gokuweed420
Feb 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I have my phone zoomed in so I can't see usernames,and yet every time I see a post that has absolutely 0 comedic value presented I think "is that GG" and it always is, and after dozens of times one begins to wonder.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

freeedr posted:

I didn’t get it but I’m old and out of touch and don’t understand the majority of things posted, but I enjoy what I do get so thank you all for doing as such, as-salamu alaykum

Japan uses a different year to the rest of the world, based on the current emperor's reign. The current date in Japan is 30/04/05. The current Japanese emperor is stepping down at the end of April, triggering a new era (for the first time, normally it happens when the emperor dies). The current era is Heisei (平成).

The new emperor starts on the 1st May so it'll go back to 01/05/01. The new era is going to be called Reiwa, with the kanji you can see in the tweet.

This is pretty niche knowledge that I only have because I lived in Japan. Posting that tweet with zero context was dumb.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I know you guys like dunking on Gripweed but rushing to show how smug you are about not knowing something isn't as good a look as many people here seem to think it is.

https://i.imgur.com/Bl1STSd.mp4

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

This belongs here

Ringing the devil’s doorbell owns, both as a term and as a practice.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Unfortunately licking the devil's doorbell doesn't work as well.
Some name workshopping might be needed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bike tory posted:

Japan uses a different year to the rest of the world, based on the current emperor's reign. The current date in Japan is 30/04/05. The current Japanese emperor is stepping down at the end of April, triggering a new era (for the first time, normally it happens when the emperor dies). The current era is Heisei (平成).

The new emperor starts on the 1st May so it'll go back to 01/05/01. The new era is going to be called Reiwa, with the kanji you can see in the tweet.

This is pretty niche knowledge that I only have because I lived in Japan. Posting that tweet with zero context was dumb.

This is helpful, I also did not know this. Even knowing that though, that picture still isn't funny. Might as well have it say the word gust is inside the word August, it's not anything. In short:

Gokuweed420 posted:

I have my phone zoomed in so I can't see usernames,and yet every time I see a post that has absolutely 0 comedic value presented I think "is that GG" and it always is, and after dozens of times one begins to wonder.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thanks for explaining what’s gonna Hapan in Japan

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tony Snark posted:

Unfortunately licking the devil's doorbell doesn't work as well.
Some name workshopping might be needed.

So what's knocking on heaven's door then?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

So what's knocking on heaven's door then?

Hey hey

Hey hey yeah

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

quote:

Quoting, so also sad fuckos get to see this.

You're welcome! :haw:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

in trump's mind, what he's doing is alpha dominant behaviour, while biden is a snivelling sexual predator

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

That is a good pun. "Person in house" on top of "person in skirt cooking with a pot" does contain "pi" and "70."

I thought that was "person in skirt suplexing a crying dude"?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Just because something is Japanese it doesn't mean its 'weeaboo poo poo', the new era was news over here in the UK.

Sure that tweet isn't that exciting but just charging in to attack gripweed while showing your own ignorance just looks a bit lame.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Attacking GG is the national sport here. Kind of like how racism is in Australia. The point being argued doesn't matter. Attacking someone else to feel superior is the goal

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Roblo posted:

Just because something is Japanese it doesn't mean its 'weeaboo poo poo', the new era was news over here in the UK.

Sure that tweet isn't that exciting but just charging in to attack gripweed while showing your own ignorance just looks a bit lame.

Just because your country is obsessed with monarchs doesn't mean everyone is.

This is totally not undercut by the many millions of Americans who are in fact obsessed with the British royalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok I realize I'm reaally throwing rocks in a glass house here, but having people constantly rush in to poo poo themselves over how stupid and joyless they are is getting very tedious.

I mean full disclosure time I'm deriving great pleasure each time I see you sad sacks of poo poo confess to having a bad time over the innocuous, or when people have fun when you don't, but too much cake gives you diabetes you know?