Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Chet Lazerbeam posted:

50 Cent: Bulletproof had a better plot than Mass Effect

blood in the sand is way better than bulletproof, although i haven't played bulletproof

blood in the sand is sick though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
this reminds me of one of the few good pa comics

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently they can't figure out a new gimmick for it.

That feels like a straight PR answer in a softball interview.

F-Zero is a backburner franchise with minimal name recognition outside of internet nerds and more people recognize Captain Falcon from Smash Bros rather than the actual game he's supposed to have come from. They haven't been sitting on a franchise for 16 years because they can't come up with a gimmick for it.

Gnarly Sheen
Jun 25, 2015

I'm ITT

Snow Cone Capone posted:

the goddamn gimmick is goddamn F-Zero at goddamn 1080/60

god loving damnit nintendo

F-Zero loving slaps if they make another one ill cream my jorts

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Make F-Zero nintendos answer to Forza. Same exact attention to detail but 100% made up cars and parts

Gnarly Sheen
Jun 25, 2015

I'm ITT

Barudak posted:

Make F-Zero nintendos answer to Forza. Same exact attention to detail but 100% made up cars and parts

That’d be cool if it happened but I doubt they’re gonna let ANOTHER racing game come to the switch any time soon. What with Mario Kart and Crash Team Racing both fairly new if they decided to do it at all it prolly wouldn’t be until the sales for the big breadwinners died down.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do wonder if they think a new F-Zero might have too harsh a difficulty curve given GX was apparently pretty drat hard.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zzulu posted:

They were never good to begin with. It was always perplexing why they got so popular (I think they got popular anyway?)

Is this a hot take: None of the far cry games were good and the new ones just feel like tedious repetition

Borderlands is basically just a good skinner box that you can enjoy with friends. The key is that success comes easily in those games and the player is constantly being rewarded for easy things, so you just keep rolling in the dopamine. Their marketing highlights this by making the game look as accessible and as fun as possible; this isn't a game that's going to try to make you think or work hard, it's just a goofy dopamine stimulator, come let us put a needle in your arm

The pre-sequel wasn't as well-received because it added frustrating elements to the formula. Imagine a slot machine that made you fill out a 5-minute survey every time that you wanted to pull the arm. That would be frustrating and annoying, why am I being distracted from my sweet sweet dopamine please just let me pay you okay gently caress this I'm going to a different machine.

The Battle Royale genre shares a lot of fundamental similarites, swapping out the RPG quest mechanics for more action and PVP elements. Every time that you open a chest or kill an opponent, you're pulling the arm of a slot machine. You could get a big win at any second, and that tickles the brain in a really reliable way. It doesn't even matter that most players aren't winning matches most of the time, what matters is all of the little feel-good moments that occur during gameplay.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do wonder if they think a new F-Zero might have too harsh a difficulty curve given GX was apparently pretty drat hard.
Coming in 2020: F-Zero EZ for Switch

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Bio Menace is still my favourite game ever, I need to reinstall that poo poo.

Yes, it's good and cool. It's also good and cool that 3D Realms give it away for free.
https://3drealms.com/catalog/bio-menace_42/

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

gently caress sand ocean

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't that just because Sega made the campaign stupidly difficult after a few races. It's not like they have to do that in the next game.

Just remembered this goon classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLwM3nyY5g

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

remember when we were supposed to get a track editor for the 64DD :smith:

the randomized track generator in F-Zero X was the poo poo though. I loved getting tracks with like, a hairpin turn after a jump and watching the number of racers drop from 29 to 3 after the first lap because the AI couldn't figure it out

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

remember when we were supposed to get a track editor for the 64DD :smith:

the randomized track generator in F-Zero X was the poo poo though. I loved getting tracks with like, a hairpin turn after a jump and watching the number of racers drop from 29 to 3 after the first lap because the AI couldn't figure it out

Is that a mod or is the randomizer in the game?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In-game. I think it was called the X Cup? You'd get 4 or 5 randomized tracks. A lot of the time they'd be something pretty basic like a loop on the outside of a pipe, but it definitely came up with some wackier poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The way people are hung up on constantly unlocking meaningless bullshit in video games is loving insane. If you need to unlock a bunch of stupid skins to enjoy your game it probably sucks. The fact that I've actually seen people criticize games for not having enough cosmetic garbage to unlock, like it somehow makes the game worse is kind of pathetic.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The way people are hung up on constantly unlocking meaningless bullshit in video games is loving insane. If you need to unlock a bunch of stupid skins to enjoy your game it probably sucks. The fact that I've actually seen people criticize games for not having enough cosmetic garbage to unlock, like it somehow makes the game worse is kind of pathetic.

its fun to get unlocks while playing the game normally, like in ps4 spiderman you get tons of cool outfits and get to look at a different character model

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not saying that stuff isn't fun to some degree. But I've seen many people use it to actually weigh the quality of a game which is loving crazy. Like "X battle Royale game doesn't have as many dumb skins as Y battle royale game so it's worse"

Playing dress up in games is fun but loving christ how bad does a game have to be if you are mad that there isn't enough gun camos or dance moves?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

everyone always complains about poo poo like spirit emblems in sekiro or blood vials in bb where you're expected to burn through a ton but they don't automatically regenerate

i could not give less of a poo poo about that, they always provide a million ways to obtain this stuff

what i do care about, and hate, is one-off or low-number items that from their description/use/whatever don't necessarily seem to be single-use or hard to obtain, like the blood stone in bloodborne or snap peas in sekiro

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not saying that stuff isn't fun to some degree. But I've seen many people use it to actually weigh the quality of a game which is loving crazy. Like "X battle Royale game doesn't have as many dumb skins as Y battle royale game so it's worse"

Playing dress up in games is fun but loving christ how bad does a game have to be if you are mad that there isn't enough gun camos or dance moves?

I'm still pissed there are no prosthetics or katanas in BFV yet

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Forget f-zero, they should make another extreme g

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I feel this way about achievements. They're supposed to be milestones you get along the way to show what happened in your game and how you played, not dumb little challenges you're supposed to deliberately tailor your play style to get. Anyone who deliberately hunts achievements is an idiot.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Anyone who plays videogames is an idiot, an utter fool

We only get so much time on this earth, in this life. What kind of sane man would spend that time playing "video games"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I feel this way about achievements. They're supposed to be milestones you get along the way to show what happened in your game and how you played, not dumb little challenges you're supposed to deliberately tailor your play style to get. Anyone who deliberately hunts achievements is an idiot.

i feel like this is too broad, like maybe "anyone who deliberately hunts achievements on a first playthrough" instead

popular opinion: achievements are cool both for players and developers because they give developers tons of feedback on what players actually are doing in their games, and cool for players because they can add challenges and extra goals for replay

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hey, it can be quite fun to have achievements that encourage you to try different things and a playstyle you might not ordinarily consider.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All achievements are good except the one that required you to team kill a fellow player

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

Anyone who plays videogames is an idiot, an utter fool

We only get so much time on this earth, in this life. What kind of sane man would spend that time playing "video games"

Don't depression shame

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Funny, I felt quite the opposite. When the cheevo system came out, it could acknowledge nonlinear gameplay goals such as trickshots or worthy events not tied to the normal gameplay/plot/progression. Which I thought was cool! Then cheevos where a hard requirement for everything everywhere and most devs didn't give a hoot, quite rightly.

But I think we can all agree that people going out of their way to get 100% cheevos has a very serious problem.

I also just like the shorthand cheevos, it sounds like junk food which is so wholly appropriate. Cheevos.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

That's dumb. you are already beating the game normally, why do you need an extra pat on the back for it? achievements should be like Nethack conduct challenges, a way to come back to the game and play some more after you have mastered it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

That's dumb. you are already beating the game normally, why do you need an extra pat on the back for it? achievements should be like Nethack conduct challenges, a way to come back to the game and play some more after you have mastered it.

Achievements are a tracking tool for devs. Thats why a big portion are "beat boss 1" "beat boss 2" so devs can gauge where you crapped out

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Here, have a fake PS5 devkit render from some dude on twitter.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lodin posted:

I'm waiting for the PlayStation 9. that thing is going to be sick as hell

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Lodin posted:

Looks like a modded SEGA Genesis controller and VCR.

The 90s are back baby!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm not a big fan of Final Fantasy's gameplay but the Kefka fight is so memorable it makes FF6 cool regardless. That Dante's Inferno-style tower he sits on full of blasphemous idols and hosed up church music, and then he comes down from the sky like a god, it's the best boss fight in any game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

I'm not a big fan of Final Fantasy's gameplay but the Kefka fight is so memorable it makes FF6 cool regardless. That Dante's Inferno-style tower he sits on full of blasphemous idols and hosed up church music, and then he comes down from the sky like a god, it's the best boss fight in any game.

Sepheroth wishes he was as cool as Kefka

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I was gonna say that Kefka was the first Final Fantasy villain with an actual personality beyond "I'm evil and want to destroy the world for reasons," but then I remembered how in FF2 or 3 you kill the big evil emperor and then he just goes and becomes the emperor of hell instead which kind of owns

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

everyone always complains about poo poo like spirit emblems in sekiro or blood vials in bb where you're expected to burn through a ton but they don't automatically regenerate

i could not give less of a poo poo about that, they always provide a million ways to obtain this stuff

what i do care about, and hate, is one-off or low-number items that from their description/use/whatever don't necessarily seem to be single-use or hard to obtain, like the blood stone in bloodborne or snap peas in sekiro

You are right about the second part, but imo the problem with the first part, is that they are so plentiful that they might as well just be recharged like an estus flask once you've settled into the game, but they can be a bottleneck for new players. Like, a ton of people have gotten stuck at the beginning of Bloodborne farming vials or wasting level up money on them and gotten burned out doing it. All for a mechanic that ultimately doesn't even matter. I don't see why they don't just have them recharge because there is no downside.

I think nearly every common item should just recharge at checkpoints. Maybe some special stuff could be one time use, but I've never gotten why Fromsoft includes items to make bosses easier and then just makes them rare and consumable, so if you blow your shot once, the fight just gets harder again. Seems counterintuitive to me.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I was gonna say that Kefka was the first Final Fantasy villain with an actual personality beyond "I'm evil and want to destroy the world for reasons," but then I remembered how in FF2 or 3 you kill the big evil emperor and then he just goes and becomes the emperor of hell instead which kind of owns

Though Kefka is one of the only villians in the early FF to basically be the big bad for ALL the game, Goblez has an interesting story for 4. Not mind blowing or anything, but it was cool playing it when I was a kid.

Kefka is the villian that should be held up as the best though. Sephiroth was a chump compared to Kefka.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I would say Mass Effect 1 had the best achievement system. Most achievements in that game gave you a small gameplay boost or allowed different options for new playtheoughs. Get the achievement for assault rifle kills and you can use assault rifles with a class that can't normally use them. Get a million credits and unlock Spectre weapons for the current playthrough and replays. They weren't gamebreaking but it was nice to get some kind of award other than e-penis points. I can't think of another game that did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Looter shooters are boring garbage.