Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Turns out the rest of Dune is topics and meadows and forests and everything, the spacing guild just dropped everyone off in the middle of the desert and told them it was the only habitable place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Turns out the rest of Dune is topics and meadows and forests and everything, the spacing guild just dropped everyone off in the middle of the desert and told them it was the only habitable place.

Hollow Dune or Flat Arrakis?

pick your chaumurky

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
There's probably a "temperate zone", it's just really thin and a hundred miles away from the north pole. Most likely treeless, resembling a sort of, uh, deserted, kind of, ahhhhhm, waste.

Not sure why I typed that second part like Count Fenring but other people were doing it so it stays.

Tree Bucket posted:

And it all made so much sense! Venus could be the lush, primitive, primordial world. Mars could be cold and ancient and filled with the lost secrets of a dying race. Earth of course is somewhere in between...
Still, I want my Venusian dinosaurs, dammit.
There may yet be life...in the canals!
- fringe belief that is oddly persistent seeing as we got robots on Mars shouting "marco".

Even now you occasionally discover someone who doesn't really know astronomy being surprised that Venus is a death orb. It's fertile ground (figuratively) for conspiracies, because we'll never craft a probe sturdy enough to just get down there, survive and report back again. There could be ANYTHING down there and my money's on a world like Pangaea in the Maxx, with jungle monsters and everything. Except it's always dark, I suppose.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

phasmid posted:

Even now you occasionally discover someone who doesn't really know astronomy being surprised that Venus is a death orb. It's fertile ground (figuratively) for conspiracies, because we'll never craft a probe sturdy enough to just get down there, survive and report back again. There could be ANYTHING down there and my money's on a world like Pangaea in the Maxx, with jungle monsters and everything. Except it's always dark, I suppose.

I mean we literally did craft a probe, it just didn't last long:

Some folks think there's life shown in the pictures: http://www.sci-news.com/space/article00156.html

If I've missed :thejoke: welp, I'm real dumb most of the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seeing pictures from another planet is always goddamn rad.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I mean we literally did craft a probe, it just didn't last long:

Several, for values of “we” that include the Soviets. Something like a half dozen Venera probes soft-landed and worked for up to a couple hours.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Original Star Wars EU gave us the schizophrenic anthropomorphized horse people so there's that.

Also Venus is good for something. You just need to have a nigh-impossible to understand alien life-form to mold it to it's will, like The Expanse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a thing in sci-fi on occasion where Venus is terraformed and it either goes really well or really badly.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a thing in sci-fi on occasion where Venus is terraformed and it either goes really well or really badly.
That explains Venereal Dragons.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Well drat, I'll just shut my mouth. Those are some cool as hell pics tho.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Original Star Wars EU gave us the schizophrenic anthropomorphized horse people so there's that.

Bojack never returned to his homeworld

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bojack the Bothan. My life is complete. I also would have made a joke about They Shoot Bothans, Don't They? if that hadn't been better.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Back in the nineties I was in a very famous X-wiiiing book.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

phasmid posted:

There could be ANYTHING down there and my money's on a world like Pangaea in the Maxx, with jungle monsters and everything. Except it's always dark, I suppose.

There are ways to use other spectrum of light and see whats under the clouds. Astronomers have made very high res composites of the surface, and combined it with topographical data to make 3d models. What I'm saying is Venus is Salusa Secundus:

There is this orange-yellow cast to it because of the tint in the venusian atmosphere if I'm not mistaken.(apparently it's a false color product of radar imaging) With an earth-like atmosphere, the surface would be grey-black rock.

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 4, 2019

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tree Bucket posted:

And it all made so much sense! Venus could be the lush, primitive, primordial world. Mars could be cold and ancient and filled with the lost secrets of a dying race. Earth of course is somewhere in between...
Still, I want my Venusian dinosaurs, dammit.

The boy bested you! The woman bested me! But I bested you! Which means the woman could have bested you! You've all been bested! She is the bestedest.
All interspersed with the "don't move! aieee! I told you not to move!" bit repeated about seven times...

You know, after meeting my family members from noted arid hellhole Broken Hill, I'm pretty certain that desert-dwellers don't actually use insults like "sand-lice." They just sort of swear a lot. It sounds mostly like "yaarffnnarrkknncaahh."

Chani! You spawn of a lizard! Get down from there!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Another bizzare thing from Dune was how the Fenrings talked. I just envisioned them talking like they were having a constant stroke

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

parsing "ugly lump of a man" into "Gurney Halleck is a literal dwarf" is an interesting choice, but so is turning short thin weaselly Fenring into a roaring warrior.

I was having a discussion with someone about the Villeneuve movie and they thought they needed someone to do rat prosthetics for Count Fenring because he is described as rat-faced

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Temaukel posted:

There is this orange-yellow cast to it because of the tint in the venusian atmosphere if i'm not mistaken. With an earth-like atmosphere, the surface would be grey-black rock.

It's from radar data, there's no color information in the signal. The color is false. Also in the topographical maps, the differences in altitude are exaggerated, the surface is considerably flatter than that.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Anne Frank Funk posted:

A planet inhabited by hack-fraud "writers".

A sea-planet full of hyperauthors producing hypernovels

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phanatic posted:

It's from radar data, there's no color information in the signal. The color is false. Also in the topographical maps, the differences in altitude are exaggerated, the surface is considerably flatter than that.

Thanks for the correction. So this false color is supposed to simulate color under atmosphere or is orange a standard output color for this kind of radar imaging?

Anyway, here, have this fantastic illustration of a spice harvester by John Shoenherr:

"A Solido Tri-D projection appeared on the table surface about a third of the way down from the Duke. Some of the men farther down the table stood up to get a better look at it. Scaled against the tiny projected human figures around it, the machine was about one hundred and twenty meters long and about forty meters wide."

edit: more Shoenherr :orb::

...and a thopter:

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 4, 2019

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Phi230 posted:

Another bizzare thing from Dune was how the Fenrings talked. I just envisioned them talking like they were having a constant stroke

So did the Baron.

So is it explicitly said that the hums and verbal pauses are a code between husband and wife, or is it just subtext?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exmachina posted:

So did the Baron.

So is it explicitly said that the hums and verbal pauses are a code between husband and wife, or is it just subtext?

Explicit, their conversation is actually just bland nonsense and all the stuff you read them saying to each other is translated from the humming.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

Lotto looked at this adviser. The meaning of the tactic was clear. 'So,' he said. Halfwit nodded. 'Then...'
The Mantan nodded again, moved slowly into the room, his aged face creased in calculation, his fingertips pressed in concentration. 'Perhaps...?'
'No, Safire, we daren't,' Lotto said.
'But the Baron will--'
'What the Baron will, I may,' Lotto said firmly, striking the desk with his fist. 'What I will, the Baron may or may not -- depending on whether I do.'
'And if,' Halfwit added.
Lotto paused, stunned by this last remark. Treachery? From Safire? Impossible. 'What do you mean, Safire?'
The Mantan frowned. 'My Lord -- what do you mean, what do I mean?'

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Always cracks me up

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Phi230 posted:

Chani! You spawn of a lizard! Get down from there!

I know, lizards don't even have spawn! That's frogs.

This is perfect, what is it from???

Temaukel posted:

There are ways to use other spectrum of light and see whats under the clouds. Astronomers have made very high res composites of the surface, and combined it with topographical data to make 3d models. What I'm saying is Venus is Salusa Secundus:

It's even the second planet from its star. All the pieces fit!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Tree Bucket posted:

Pretty sure it’s DOON

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lampoon%27s_Doon

Epic story of the Kumkwat Haagendasz

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Pretty sure it’s DOON

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lampoon%27s_Doon

Epic story of the Kumkwat Haagendasz

I must not have fun. Fun is the time-killer

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
This thread just informed me that Brian Herbert calls himself DuneAuthor on Twitter. I am mad.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Tree Bucket posted:

Salusa Secundus is the third planet of Gamma Waiping. A feint within a feint.

Anyway a while back I did a Venus illustration with too little haze, too much terrain variety and verticality, and speculative depictions of volcanic activity and cloud to surface lightning. Swap the lander for a Sardaukar troop carrier and it could be an ok Salusa Secundus, though.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

rofl sick cover art man

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amethyst posted:

rofl sick cover art man

Nice WordArt™ Brian.

Also,

That is really cool.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tree Bucket posted:

I know, lizards don't even have spawn! That's frogs.

It's the legit hilarious dune spoof DOON. This excellent duneblog has a bunch of quotes

doon posted:

What sort of man was Duke Lotto Agamemnides?  We may say he was a brave man, yet a man who knew the value of caution.  We may say he was possessed of a highly refined sense of honor -- yet, like all leaders, was he no less capable of acts duplicitous and sleazy.  We may say this, we may say that -- indeed, we may say anything we want.  We may say, for example, that he was not a man at all, but rather a highly evolved bicycle.  See?  We may say just about anything.

--from "House Agamemnides: Historical Perspectives and Worthless Digressions," by the Princess Serutan

quote:

"The hood is to be worn in open country," Keynes explained, adjusting the Duke's suit as Halvah watched warily.  "These sleeves can be drawn back slightly, to give a more casual, fun appearance, a kind of I'm-ready-for-anything look.  The pants have elastic cuffs for a snug, trim fit over socks.  I prefer a slight blousiness in the pants, I think it makes for a more airy, playful effect -- a sort of Renaissance fluffy concept that I think is really attractive.  You can tuck the shirt in or let it stay out.  I personally leave mine out, but that's me, I have this sort of crazy thing for shirttails."

"I'll leave mine out, too," the Duke said.

That was wise, Pall thought.  Leaving his shirt out as a token of respect -- men would be willing to die for such a leader. 

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 5, 2019

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Best quote ridiculing the tropical conditions of Venuses surface is from Carl Sagan.
"Observation: You couldnt see anything. Conclusion: Dinosaurs."

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Carl Sagan as Leto's father's portrait.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

So I just watched Jdubs fallen kingdom and I will track down and murder Villeneuve if Jeff goldblum isn’t count fenrig. Also apologies if I didn’t say this first.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

You two, ahh, humm, dig up, hmmm dig up dinosaurs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJelEXaPhJ8

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

sebmojo posted:

It's the legit hilarious dune spoof DOON. This excellent duneblog has a bunch of quotes

I've been meaning to post some excerpts from the book that aren't already online, but I don't necessarily know if what I find funny would appeal to others. Plus the dating of some of the gags.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sebmojo posted:

Explicit, their conversation is actually just bland nonsense and all the stuff you read them saying to each other is translated from the humming.

The funny thing is that just makes them sound like any old married couple who have gotten so used to each other that they basically have their own private language.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
“If you really are the Kumquat Häagendazs it shouldn't be much trouble, but make one false move and you'll find my abdul-jabbar slam-dunked in your face!"

Admittedly a tad dated. Yet some quotes transcend time and place:

Inside every fat man there is a thin man signalling wildly to get out and eat everything in sight. That's why the man is fat in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

This sounds like Bored of the Rings. Was it also Harvard Lampoon?