Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

johnny park posted:

aetherial reduction gives shards/crystals/clusters i think

Based on what I've been reading it only gives crystals and clusters, which results in everyone swimming in those two but shards are going for 100 each on marketplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
ARR Timeworn Maps are pretty good for shards and the encounters are trivial for level 70s. Only issues are burning the daily-ish map cooldown and the randomness of the amount/type. Could also buy them, which might be more expensive.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Eimi posted:

I still need to do Baldesion Arsenal but no clue on how to get a group for that. I'm assuming there's a discord somewhere.

You just snipe a portal and let the others deal with it

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah purchased maps don't count towards the cooldown, only harvested. Problem is, I'm not sure anybody is harvesting low ranking maps.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah purchased maps don't count towards the cooldown, only harvested. Problem is, I'm not sure anybody is harvesting low ranking maps.

Nobody does the 60 party maps either, which has funnily enough resulted in the orchestrions that drop there and not in the 70 one being inflated to worth millions in gil.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Rastan Beeza posted:

Nobody does the 60 party maps either, which has funnily enough resulted in the orchestrions that drop there and not in the 70 one being inflated to worth millions in gil.

That just reminds me I've got a 60 Dragon sitting in my key items I need to do so I can start doing maps again. Can those be soloed or do I need a party.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Aquapolis is level synced and not really soloable. You don't need a full party either though, a tank, a healer, and 2 or 3 dps is fine

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't remember the Shinryu fight and didn't understand any of the mechanics but we won so hooray?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I feel like the fight just isn't very good? Mechanics aren't conveyed well, it's hard to see things, the camera is a mess. IDK though, it might just be because I had no idea what was going on.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

That just reminds me I've got a 60 Dragon sitting in my key items I need to do so I can start doing maps again. Can those be soloed or do I need a party.

Can confirm Aquapolis isn't feasible to solo, but the map encounters themselves are easy for geared 70s. I've been doing them off and on the last couple months to fill in some gaps in my mats stockpile and for the odd rare item.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I feel like the fight just isn't very good? Mechanics aren't conveyed well, it's hard to see things, the camera is a mess. IDK though, it might just be because I had no idea what was going on.

TBH it's pretty good but can be overwhelming the first few times. There was a lot of salt about it at SB launch.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

isk posted:

TBH it's pretty good but can be overwhelming the first few times. There was a lot of salt about it at SB launch.
The group I was with wasn't interested in communicating in any way so that was part of it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I really liked Shinryu.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like that the capstone fight leaves you feeling slightly overwhelmed the first time, personally.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

The group I was with wasn't interested in communicating in any way so that was part of it.

Yep, that'd do it! Requires some level of coordination with tank stacking and AoE pointing (and an interrupt on the adds in the first phase). Then there's the icicles to look out for.

It's easily the most difficult end-of-launch-experience encounter in FFXIV; Praetorium & Singularity Reactor are basically victory laps.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Most of Shinryu's big skills don't have a normal visual marker, so it depends a lot more on knowing the skills and reading the cast bar.

All of his big primal skills, for example, don't have consistent language but need to be reacted to differently. Standing in the puddles for hellfire, for one, and avoiding puddles for judgement bolt. Other stuff like knowing how to position the big conal aoe earthshakers, or being prepared for his giant knockback attack take experience from the fight as well.

I liked it, but it plays a bit different than normal story mechanics.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kanfy posted:

I really liked Shinryu.

It was an incredibly good capstone fight

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Most of Shinryu's big skills don't have a normal visual marker, so it depends a lot more on knowing the skills and reading the cast bar.

All of his big primal skills, for example, don't have consistent language but need to be reacted to differently. Standing in the puddles for hellfire, for one, and avoiding puddles for judgement bolt. Other stuff like knowing how to position the big conal aoe earthshakers, or being prepared for his giant knockback attack take experience from the fight as well.

I liked it, but it plays a bit different than normal story mechanics.

I mean, the puddles make logical sense at least. Stay in the water to not get toasted, get out to not get electrocuted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Almost every single mechanic in Shinryu appeared in older content or has a similar mechanic in older content. It's almost exclusively about recognizing the mechanics and understanding them.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Countblanc posted:

I have no idea how wow's tippy top difficulty compares to ffxiv's in terms of quality or quality, but wow has a pretty successful history of midcore content that just feels either absent or in very short supply depending on the patch in ffxiv and I wish SE would try their hand at that. Preferably in a small group stage but I know that concept has been pretty thoroughly ignored by SE barring the very weird deep dungeon

FFXIV has a thriving midcore scene, it’s called savage raiding. Mythic in wow would be equivalent to UWU right now, and that’s about it?

Basically the tippy top for ffxiv is what’s smaller than wow, not the midcore level.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

DontMindMe posted:

drat, so diving into crafting log completion, I'm realizing the worst part is shards.
Are the only good ways of getting shards via retainers and gardening?

I'm not hugely into crafting, but if I need them I usually just end up taking some from the fc chest. I'm constantly capped on some of the crystals so I also sell those and then use it to fund more shard purchases. I have gone out and just gathered them myself but that's very boring. Sometimes a hit will give you like eight shards though instead of just the one so that's nice when that happens. I wouldn't really recommend this method unless you also want the achievements for gathering in specific locations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
does wow really only have like 4 midcore fights every 6 months? oof i didnt realize it was so dire across the board

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

What is 'midcore'

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You like to grind or be challenged but you don't want to form a static

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the cevo-open of raiding basically e: or maybe it was esea-o, whatever

people who want to improve and do harder stuff but for whatever reason dont want to go super deep

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 4, 2019

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Countblanc posted:

does wow really only have like 4 midcore fights every 6 months? oof i didnt realize it was so dire across the board
People complain about FFXIV's patch pacing, but I'll definitely take 1-2 new dungeons, a new raid, and whatever side content predictably and reliably every 4-5 months than WoW's "wait a year to release stuff promised on the expansion box, maybe a new raid every six months".

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Almost every single mechanic in Shinryu appeared in older content or has a similar mechanic in older content. It's almost exclusively about recognizing the mechanics and understanding them.

It's exactly this. The main difference is that, while Singularity Reactor and Royal Menagerie are both pop quiz fights, the former is a curb stomp by design and the latter is intended to actually pose a challenge to people at the appropriate ilvl.

That Tidal Wave 10 seconds into the fight is still one of the all time great FFXIV troll moves though.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The problem with Royal Menagerie is that it's way too tough on the healers in my opinion. Tanks can barely help take the strain off of them by playing good because the only tank buster is Akh Morn and there's nothing else for them to position for really.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Impermanent posted:

You like to grind or be challenged but you don't want to form a static

TIL i am midcore

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

DontMindMe posted:

drat, so diving into crafting log completion, I'm realizing the worst part is shards.
Are the only good ways of getting shards via retainers and gardening?

The only sanity-preserving way is buying them on the MB from bots which exist exclusively to gather and sell them. If they didn't exist the entire economy would melt down.

(Note that people often forget to take the cost of shards into account when pricing intermediate mats, so it's often worth checking the prices of e.g. leather/cloth rather than just reflexively buying skins or w/e)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thundarr posted:

It's exactly this. The main difference is that, while Singularity Reactor and Royal Menagerie are both pop quiz fights, the former is a curb stomp by design and the latter is intended to actually pose a challenge to people at the appropriate ilvl.

That Tidal Wave 10 seconds into the fight is still one of the all time great FFXIV troll moves though.

Should've equipped your coral ring.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If people added the shard cost the whole economy would break down in a matter of days for low levels.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Tidal Wave wiping an entire group right after the battle starts is up there with Raubahn Savage for "fondly remembered Stormblood launch window events".

Like say what you will about Royal Menegerie, it lets you know right off the bat that it's there to try to kick your rear end.

Dockworker
Feb 22, 2011

Just you wait, the union is gonna hear about this.

johnny park posted:

What is 'midcore'

It's where you want to progress with a guild, but don't want to do mythic raiding (and all the grinding that entails.) Non-mythic raids in WoW scale with the number of players, so the middle difficulty (heroic) lets you progress through each raid tier in an organized group without having to worry too much about dropping low performers. It also lets you be a lot more flexible about raid composition, which is nice because there's less social pressure on any individual person to be present.

This would be more difficult to implement in FFXIV given the static raid size, and comparably small number of players. It's also why I don't raid in FFXIV. :shrug:

Lenore03
Apr 22, 2010
Mashing a button is not good game design and so the Shinryu/Susano fights, incredible as they are, will always be marred in my mind.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Lenore03 posted:

Mashing a button is not good game design and so the Shinryu/Susano fights, incredible as they are, will always be marred in my mind.

Yeah, I like the sudden "oh god do a thing" but there's definite accessibility issues there. The hilarious thing is they just introduced the Duty Action button and even use it in Lakshmi but the other two storyline trial fights use this other mechanic that had never* shown up before. It feels doubly bad in that light.

It gets triply bad when you realize that the button mashing prompt only happens for one person in Susano so you get to this bit in Shinryu that it's entirely possible you've never seen before and you get completely thrown off because up until then you've never had to press random buttons that weren't mapped (at worst you were given a substitute hotbar). You get tossed at this completely new thing you've never seen before which if you don't figure it out in a few seconds you die.

Sudden unexplained button mashing is my second least favorite FF14 mechanic, beating out "we're gonna give you a debuff that you need to read the description of in order to not kill your party wait what do you mean you're on a controller" but still not quite as bad as "we're gonna give the boss a buff that you need to read the description of in order to not kill your party wait what do you mean you're on a controller".

*: I think it was also in one of the Alexander fights or something? It hadn't appeared before in a MSQ fight though.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
for people who don't know, if you're on controller you can do the button mashing prompts easily by circling with the dpad

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

somepartsareme posted:

for people who don't know, if you're on controller you can do the button mashing prompts easily by circling with the dpad

and on keyboard you can just slide your palm across all the keys

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

If it helps, on kb/m you can press literally any button and it'll count to the buttonmash.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i like the button mashes but i certainly wouldnt want to do them every fight. love to go hamburgers on my spacebar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lol just lol if you don't drag your hand back across the keyboard like a loving ape