Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The Royals swept the Orioles.

That's literally it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No, there's more. It's a Royals player wearing a shirt after a game. Perhaps that they won before they won the series?

edit: "These O's Aint Royal"

https://www.royalsreview.com/2017/8/1/16067062/prepare-yourself-for-more-la-canfora-hate

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Grier is definitely going round 2.

To who? The R*dskins at pick 46? That's a horrible, awful reach imo

Doltos posted:

Grier seems like he could be a surprise late first round pick or drop to the sixth or something. He's got a noodle arm and he stands too tall when throwing. Tippy toe passer, kinda like Manziel. Still though it looks like his mechanics are fixable.

I agree, he could be taken early but he belongs in the 4th-6th round to my eyes. I just don't think he's an NFL quarterback

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Play posted:

Murray, Haskins and Lock are going first round. Jones will probably be second or third although I see him as more of a fourth round talent kind of guy. Him going in the first round is totally nuts

One thing I think is accurate is that offense will make a run up the draft boards as we get closer in. Remember the offensive linemen that all went way earlier than we expected last year? That's gonna happen this year too

I dunno teams value QB, DL, and OT pretty equally in terms of overdrafting. If there is a run on OTs I think it will come only after Bosa, Williams, Allen, Oliver, Sweat, Gary, and maybe even Burns, Ferrell, and Lawrence all go. Maybe Dillard slips into the top 10 because he projects as a LT, but I can’t see any receivers, backs or other OLgoong ahead of the best pass rushing prospects.

I would love for that to happen though. Panthers are sitting at 16 and hoping a DE/DT falls.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Slowpoke! posted:

I dunno teams value QB, DL, and OT pretty equally in terms of overdrafting. If there is a run on OTs I think it will come only after Bosa, Williams, Allen, Oliver, Sweat, Gary, and maybe even Burns, Ferrell, and Lawrence all go. Maybe Dillard slips into the top 10 because he projects as a LT, but I can’t see any receivers, backs or other OLgoong ahead of the best pass rushing prospects.

I would love for that to happen though. Panthers are sitting at 16 and hoping a DE/DT falls.

For sure, the top of the first round will be almost entirely quarterbacks and defensive linemen. The bottom will have more tackles and O linemen in general. That's my contention, anyways, and it's exactly what happened last year where no one had that many O lineman being taken in the first round in mock drafts. We had Quenton Nelson, Mike McGlinchey, Kolton Miller, Frank Ragnow, Billy Price, and Isaiah Wynn. That's six linemen in the top 32, I think it will end up being a roughly similar number this year, but I do think they'll be more clustered towards the back of the round than the front

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Good. Let the rest of the NFL pay outrageous fortunes for pass rushers. Meanwhile the Pats and Chiefs going this direction

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/4/4/18294764/shifting-value-nfl-pass-rushers-new-england-patriots-kansas-city-chiefs

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Sorry I think the Raiders did it first

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oh yeah, that article mentions that I think.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

Good. Let the rest of the NFL pay outrageous fortunes for pass rushers. Meanwhile the Pats and Chiefs going this direction

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/4/4/18294764/shifting-value-nfl-pass-rushers-new-england-patriots-kansas-city-chiefs

First of all, drafted pass rushers are cheap, not expensive.

Second of all, that works for the Patriots who are a very well-balanced team. We will see how this turns out for the Chiefs, whose line was the only decent defensive group last year. I shudder to think what that secondary will look like if opposing quarterbacks have another second in the pocket.

However, it is a legitimate strategy. Especially if you're paying full price for a franchise quarterback (for example when their rookie deals end), well that money has to come from somewhere and D line is the obvious place.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The Chiefs pass rush over the past few years has been incredibly boring and stale from a schematic view. Chiefs racked up sacks because of the incredible pass rushing talents of Chris Jones, Dee Ford and Justin Houston. Sutton was too stupid to send them on creative blitzes, he almost never looped or stunted with pairs of defenders, he basically was coaching a high school defense scheme where you beat your man to get to the QB. Now we have Brendan Daly as our DL coach, from the Pats who famously like to scheme a pass rush via creativity rather than pure talent overpowering the other man. Even the guys we have signed like Okafor and Ogbah were heavily used in stunts/loops by their previous teams. Mathieu will also presumably rush the passer like Derwin James does. It will be a very new defense

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The Chiefs pass rush over the past few years has been incredibly boring and stale from a schematic view. Chiefs racked up sacks because of the incredible pass rushing talents of Chris Jones, Dee Ford and Justin Houston. Sutton was too stupid to send them on creative blitzes, he almost never looped or stunted with pairs of defenders, he basically was coaching a high school defense scheme where you beat your man to get to the QB. Now we have Brendan Daly as our DL coach, from the Pats who famously like to scheme a pass rush via creativity rather than pure talent overpowering the other man. Even the guys we have signed like Okafor and Ogbah were heavily used in stunts/loops by their previous teams. Mathieu will also presumably rush the passer like Derwin James does. It will be a very new defense

that sounds promising, I definitely agree that the Chiefs defense was better in terms of talent than in terms of results last year. I'll believe the new scheme is successful when I see it being successful though

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

that sounds promising, I definitely agree that the Chiefs defense was better in terms of talent than in terms of results last year. I'll believe the new scheme is successful when I see it being successful though

For a given level of success I'm confident it will be.

'Better than last year' is a sort of success, and they damned well better be because holy poo poo. I doubt they'll actually be good, but they only need to be middling for things to work out.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I think the Chiefs want to focus more on generating a rush from the inside and figure if they can bounce the QB outside, they can still rack up sacks with even average edges.

Chris Jones will be a great 3 tech, but they need a guy that can have a great presence next to him. I'm feeling that Simmons will be their top choice if he lasts to 29.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Last year the defensive scheme was "look at the play. Think about it. Ask yourself, where should I be? Then ask yourself, where should my teammates be? Then, after you come to a conclusion, begin to run in a direction of your own choosing. When you do, use your talent to beat your man."

It's a very interesting scheme and can have surprising results!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

kiimo posted:

Last year the defensive scheme was "look at the play. Think about it. Ask yourself, where should I be? Then ask yourself, where should my teammates be? Then, after you come to a conclusion, begin to run in a direction of your own choosing. When you do, use your talent to beat your man."

It's a very interesting scheme and can have surprising results!

Frank Gore hasn't been a 49er since 2014 so this has been the paradigm for nearly half a decade?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Frank Gore hasn't been a 49er since 2014 so this has been the paradigm for nearly half a decade?

Was the same coach, but that's just Dee Ford being an idiot when he was a rookie.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

kiimo posted:

I don't know if I believe the Chiefs are going in that direction, so much as they are re-tooling their guys. Steve Spagnuolo was the guy whose defense was at its peak when they were out there putting 3, sometimes 4 edge rushers on the field on an every-down basis.

You can do that kind of poo poo if you're Bill Belichick, but I don't know who else is going to pull it off. The Dolphins hired a bunch of guys with first-hand experience running his DL/LB units and they're sure as hell out here meeting with a bunch of pressure guys for #13 and early.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^Spags is DC but as I said the Chiefs hired Brendan Daly, the New England DL coach this offseason. It makes sense. They let their two most expensive pass rushers walk and used the money to sign cheap pass rushers and an expensive safety. It's not 100% but it seems like they're attempting it. Can't get much worse anyway.

Chiefs rushing defense ranking:

2018 #27
2017 #28
2016 #27
2015 #6
2014 #28

You will note an interesting thing happened when Berry, Derrick Johnson and Houston were healthy in 2015. And also when they weren't.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 5, 2019

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
2015 was also the year of DROTY Marcus Peters and not-yet-lovely Sean Smith playing CB, and Ron Parker having the best year of his life

Play
Apr 25, 2006

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025384/article/analyticsbased-mock-draft-quinnen-williams-to-cards-qbs-fall

pretty cool mock draft based entirely on custom analytics. Makes you think a little bit

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

kiimo posted:

^^^Spags is DC but as I said the Chiefs hired Brendan Daly, the New England DL coach this offseason. It makes sense. They let their two most expensive pass rushers walk and used the money to sign cheap pass rushers and an expensive safety. It's not 100% but it seems like they're attempting it. Can't get much worse anyway.

I don't know if a DL coach is going to be able to drive the process like that. A lot of the Patriot's success there is coming from design decisions that are made by the DC or head coach, and the Patriots do a whole hell of a lot to facilitate their ability to send blitzes and stunts that I think it would be hard to build out within Steve Spagnulo's defense. Like the formations, the willingness to 2-gap a guy in sub situations, the amount of edge defenders who essentially have starting linebacker quality coverage skills, etc.

Daly bring some stunts, but I think the key thing for the DL coach is really the sub-positions and techniques they've taught. Like a key Daly thing his experience developing Trey Flowers- which is a nice bonus if you're looking for a Justin Tuck.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Play posted:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025384/article/analyticsbased-mock-draft-quinnen-williams-to-cards-qbs-fall

pretty cool mock draft based entirely on custom analytics. Makes you think a little bit

The idea is cool, but single year wins is a pretty dumb metric to base a mock/projection on. Of course you are going to get weird results because hopefully no one is making decisions based on next years wins. Even if the analytics are completely accurate at predicting what they set out to do, it’s useless information.

Like it seems like a smart way to build a mock if it was built around analytics based around predicting 3-5 year win totals as you’d probably still get different results than scouting based mocks, but it’d be something closer to an actual draft mentality.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

pseudodragon posted:

The idea is cool, but single year wins is a pretty dumb metric to base a mock/projection on. Of course you are going to get weird results because hopefully no one is making decisions based on next years wins. Even if the analytics are completely accurate at predicting what they set out to do, it’s useless information.

Like it seems like a smart way to build a mock if it was built around analytics based around predicting 3-5 year win totals as you’d probably still get different results than scouting based mocks, but it’d be something closer to an actual draft mentality.

I don't think it's really meant to be strictly followed. Just to give another, different, perspective. But yeah career value (or maybe three-year value, that could work) might be better. Still, some interesting results. It absolutely loves Quinnen Williams, Andre Dillard and Deandre Baker. Five OL in the first round which I think is probably close to what will actually happen

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The approach she uses is subjective and based off of combine numbers. She also tries to correlate on the field success with draft picks for that year.

So basically she takes a pro bowl player, compares their 40 times, 3 cones, bench presses, etc., then assigns a numerical value which I'm guessing is on a 1-5 scale and then adds those together. It's analytics but it's not exactly the best model. I tried to do the same thing in my master's program so I think she knows the limitations and that article is just click bait.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

The approach she uses is subjective and based off of combine numbers. She also tries to correlate on the field success with draft picks for that year.

I feel like that's kind of the point, to create a list using a method with different factors considered and see what it comes up with. It's clearly stated that it definitely won't go like this and it's just a different perspective. So it seems she does realize the limitations

Success added with draft picks seems like a reasonable way to go about it. It's not like rookies can't affect win totals.

Play fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 5, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Play posted:

I feel like that's kind of the point, to create a list using a method with different factors considered and see what it comes up with. It's clearly stated that it definitely won't go like this and it's just a different perspective. So it seems she does realize the limitations

Success added with draft picks seems like a reasonable way to go about it. It's not like rookies can't affect win totals.

I'm not saying it will go like that I'm saying that people have been trying to correlate the combine to on the field success every year and no ones found a model yet. Advertising a mock draft as one backed up by analytics is just clickbait, even moreso than mock drafts already are.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

I'm not saying it will go like that I'm saying that people have been trying to correlate the combine to on the field success every year and no ones found a model yet. Advertising a mock draft as one backed up by analytics is just clickbait, even moreso than mock drafts already are.

Almost every public webpage is click bait, they want you to click on it. That's the entire point.

I disagree on what they're worth, though. I'll take a flawed attempt to use analytics over some random sports writer's baseless opinion any day. The former has a new perspective, the latter is, essentially, completely subjective and arguably brings no new information at all to the table

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Nah flawed analytics are bad. They make people come up with wrong answers then reaffirm it because someone ran a t-test. There's so much dumb stuff perpetuating football because people try to turn it into a numbers game which is nigh impossible.

I'm also of the opinion that no drills should be timed at the combine, it's better to see how people run rather than what they ran. I hate numbers in football.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

E: nm

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Did I just read an entire page of Chiefs fans pinning their hopes on a lured-away Pats coach turning their fortunes around? :allears: A tried and, well, definitely tried strategy.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chiefs were one offsides away from the Superbowl. Our hopes are pinned on the next generational quarterback and doing everything we can to boost him. As has been said many times, the defense can't get worse. Also that NE coach rule is pretty much coordinator-centric. We're talking about a d-line coach brought in to help with a new philosophy.

Also if my hopes defense-specifically are pinned on anyone it's the new linebacker coach from Kentucky, Matt House. The one who coached Josh Allen into a sack and tackles for loss machine. 17 sacks, 21.5 tfl.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

I'm also of the opinion that no drills should be timed at the combine, it's better to see how people run rather than what they ran. I hate numbers in football.

Fair enough, I'm definitely more inclined to use my eyes than numbers. Numbers are hard anyways. But using a regular mock draft (which is what we were comparing it to) is basically paying attention to someone who paid attention to someone else who paid attention to someone else who paid attention to a player running. I'd prefer to have a different (even if flawed) numbers-based approach that I wouldn't do myself rather than listening to sports writers put their spin on things that I already know. I get our position though and I don't disagree with it

kiimo posted:

Chiefs were one offsides away from the Superbowl. Our hopes are pinned on the next generational quarterback and doing everything we can to boost him. As has been said many times, the defense can't get worse. Also that NE coach rule is pretty much coordinator-centric. We're talking about a d-line coach brought in to help with a new philosophy.

Also if my hopes defense-specifically are pinned on anyone it's the new linebacker coach from Kentucky, Matt House. The one who coached Josh Allen into a sack and tackles for loss machine. 17 sacks, 21.5 tfl.

First of all, disabuse yourself of this notion that the defense can't get any worse

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

kiimo posted:

That's a pretty interesting hire that might tip that there is some sort of interesting shift with how Spagnuolo does stuff. It could mean they're trying to work some LB/Edge flex into the defense, and play a little bit with how they get extra edge guys on the field. Years ago they made it work with Mathias Kiwanuka(and others) as 4-3 SAMs, but I think the game has kind of shifted since the late 2000's and that kind of stuff is harder to do without better coverage from that kind of player, and that might be where House comes in- Josh Allen is a pretty drat good coverage guy for an edge too.

It's a bit of a poo poo draft to try and find that kind of player(and it'll be inconvenient for the Chiefs because they're so low in the 1st) though.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 5, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

First of all, disabuse yourself of this notion that the defense can't get any worse

I mean, it'd be a pretty impressive feat really despite the possibility of losing the great pass rush.

I'm not really putting any trust into any of the coaches exactly (I'm not much of a Spags fan for sure), more the idea that Sutton was ridiculously done and shaking things up has a better than average chance for some improvement.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 5, 2019

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Matt House gonna have Breeland Speaks in ABs pocket 50 yards downfield

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Matt House gonna have Breeland Speaks in ABs pocket 50 yards downfield

Derek Carr can't throw that far downfield anyway

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Chiefs clearly drafted Speaks to be a 4-3 end last year. Which means they had to force him into a linebacker in the 3-4 last year as a placeholder. Which means they expected to lose Sutton and switch to the 4-3 this year (other draft picks reinforce this idea like Dorian O'Daniel and Armani Watts) and that means that the Chiefs had zero idea Mahomes would walk in and nearly take them to the Super Bowl his first year playing. Not that I blame them, that poo poo was unreal.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I don't buy that they were planning a change to a 4-3 a year out. Feeling its just more of they felt fatter linebackers would have plugged up the run while in subs but it just led to awkward football.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/greggabe/status/1114278582380109824

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1114547301610065921

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I sure as hell hope not. I already hate the WCO we run I don't want to exacerbate it.