Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Issy posted:

Late, but I love Doomsday Clock and Shazam. Johns can do no wrong.

Hal Jordan.

Barry Allen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ

X-O posted:

Hal Jordan.

Barry Allen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
With DC universe vastly expanding their comic selection is there any pre Crisis on Infinite Earths Flash stories that are must reads? I want to understand what wonderful era we needed to return to, justifying completely making GBS threads on Wally West's character growth.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

With DC universe vastly expanding their comic selection is there any pre Crisis on Infinite Earths Flash stories that are must reads? I want to understand what wonderful era we needed to return to, justifying completely making GBS threads on Wally West's character growth.

Cary Bates, Gardner Fox, John Broome and Robert Kanigher's Flash runs are really good.

Issy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 3, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Issy posted:

Johns can do no wrong.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

??????

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Issy posted:

??????

Friend, let me introduce you to Geoff Johns' run on Avengers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

"Ha ha I'll do a callback to Hank hitting Jan but psych it's just sex stuff."

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

I know that. AXIS, Shadowland, and Age of Ultron are way worse tho.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

"Ha ha I'll do a callback to Hank hitting Jan but psych it's just sex stuff."

IC is.. Y I K E S

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
So wait have the goalposts moved from "Geoff Johns can do no wrong" to "comics that are worse than some Geoff Johns comics exist" because that's a pretty wide gulf.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

So wait have the goalposts moved from "Geoff Johns can do no wrong" to "comics that are worse than some Geoff Johns comics exist" because that's a pretty wide gulf.

I use logical fallacies because I am not up to your standards. There okay.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Skwirl posted:

Not really. They don't age well unless you're just really into Silver Age stuff in the first place. The more "modern" stories like Death of Iris and Trial of The Flash are awful slogs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Morrison's The Green Lantern is still pulling deep cuts from the Silver Age. There's definitely this wild sense of wonder that was part of that era, but it also took some of its weird idiosyncrasies where while one half is crazy and amazing and out there, the other half is empty and without much explanation or grounding. If you printed Morrison's The Green Lantern on newsprint and in CMYK, it'd be nearly indistinguishable from any story published then.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So three jokers still a thing, or it all sidelined after Metal?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cassa posted:

So three jokers still a thing, or it all sidelined after Metal?

A three part series starting some time this year, after Fabok's drawn enough of it to ensure the release schedule doesn't doomsday clock it up.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Con we forbid Tom King from writing anything but Batman?

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Siegkrow posted:

Con we forbid Tom King from writing anything but Mister Miracle and Vision?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Issy posted:

Con we forbid Tom King from writing anything but Mister Miracle and Vision? 

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

I thought Vision was great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have really enjoyed the first four issues of Young Justice. As I figured Bendis is a much better fit on this than he is on Superman. That being said, while I really really want to let this go he's definitely going to have to explain how Tim suddenly remembers who Conner is. I mean he could have already just thrown in a small scene like with Barry and Wally in Rebirth and that would have been the end of it. But it's gonna bother the poo poo out of me if suddenly Tim remembers everything and there's no explanation for it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

X-O posted:

I have really enjoyed the first four issues of Young Justice. As I figured Bendis is a much better fit on this than he is on Superman. That being said, while I really really want to let this go he's definitely going to have to explain how Tim suddenly remembers who Conner is. I mean he could have already just thrown in a small scene like with Barry and Wally in Rebirth and that would have been the end of it. But it's gonna bother the poo poo out of me if suddenly Tim remembers everything and there's no explanation for it.

In the last arc of the recent Detective Comics run that I can't remember who wrote it, Evil Future Tim shows pre-New-52 timelines to Tim, Spoiler, and Cassie figuring that it will break them (it doesn't).

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Tomasi is writing Detective Comics currently.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Bendis is doing a slow build from that stand point. Sometimes when Bendis does that, it's good. Other times... yeah. He's really inconsistent, and I still kinda love Bendis.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Issy posted:

Tomasi is writing Detective Comics currently.

But it was James Tynion IV back then.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

But it was James Tynion IV back then.

Yeah, I know.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

In the last arc of the recent Detective Comics run that I can't remember who wrote it, Evil Future Tim shows pre-New-52 timelines to Tim, Spoiler, and Cassie figuring that it will break them (it doesn't).

Yes he mentioned the name to Tim but Tim didn’t know that was. And after that storyline was over he asked Bruce about it because he didn’t know who’s name that was only that he knew it meant something.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

X-O posted:

Yes he mentioned the name to Tim but Tim didn’t know that was. And after that storyline was over he asked Bruce about it because he didn’t know who’s name that was only that he knew it meant something.

I'm pretty sure Spoiler kept all the information about the old continuity, and she and Tim went off together to go look it over.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Or, and I think this is the more likely explanation, Bendis has never really given a poo poo about making sure his stories respect continuity

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Or, and I think this is the more likely explanation, Bendis has never really given a poo poo about making sure his stories respect continuity
Exactly, it's why it's so easy to pull up glaring examples of this like

Well, I guess Doc Samson came back from the dead in Civil War II without much of an explanation?

Oh and he totally ignored Chemistro's redemption arc from a Dwayne McDuffie fill-in circa 1989 in order to drop him into the Hood's gang.

And then there's

I'm not sure why Bendis has a reputation for this any more than I dunno, Mark Millar or Geoff Johns or Scott Snyder or Grant Morrison or Jeph Loeb or Dan Slott or more or less anyone who isn't named Roy Thomas or Mark Gruenwald. Or maybe Kurt Busiek?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 5, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Well, I guess Doc Samson came back from the dead in Civil War II without much of an explanation?

Al Ewing just filled in that blank in Immortal Hulk.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

Exactly, it's why it's so easy to pull up glaring examples of this like

Oh and he totally ignored Chemistro's redemption arc from a Dwayne McDuffie fill-in circa 1989 in order to drop him into the Hood's gang.

And then there's

I'm not sure why Bendis has a reputation for this any more than I dunno, Mark Millar or Geoff Johns or Scott Snyder or Grant Morrison or Jeph Loeb or Dan Slott or more or less anyone who isn't named Roy Thomas or Mark Gruenwald. Or maybe Kurt Busiek?

I think Bendis has the rep mostly on the back of him not even keeping up closely with continuity he himself wrote in the Ultimate line.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

X-O posted:

I think Bendis has the rep mostly on the back of him not even keeping up closely with continuity he himself wrote in the Ultimate line.
Was there that even much of that besides them taking a mulligan on almost the entire Ultimate Marvel Team-Up book?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean there's the Ultimate Origins thing trying to pick that up and there's several things in the mini that clash with other Ultimate stories. I'd have to go back over for specific examples but he plays real fast and lose with the passage of time in regards to Peter's age and other events in the Ultimate Universe. There's also that time when Daredevil died and Peter knelt over and unmasked him and didn't know who he was even though Peter figured out who Daredevil was well before that when Matt Murdock came to visit him one time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

People also didn’t like Bendis having Bucky claim he killed Hitler.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Open Marriage Night posted:

That one is still so strange to me that he and his editor didn’t know.. Jim Hammond burning Hitler to death in order to stop an explosion being triggered by a “flameproof button” should be on a giant poster in Marvel offices :)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Just say that one was an early LMD or something. Hitler was also running around in early Fantastic Four being the Hatemonger (though that was only heavily implied, I don't think it was ever made official canon).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s because Bendis was writing their top selling book, and the idea that the Winter Soldier killing Hitler is bad as gently caress. The Golden Age Human Torch was such a non entity it didn’t really matter.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Here's why. I think it's a pretty interesting article about the Bendis hate.

https://www.youdontreadcomics.com/articles/2018/4/17/bendis-is-coming-an-exclamation-or-a-warning

When Bendis is good, he's amazing. When he isn't, his lows stand out more than Johns, Morrison, and Scott imho. Peak Bendis is probably my favorite modern writer outside of Morrison and Hickman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
What hit me in YJ was everyone recognizing Connor but Cassie not remembering he was her first love, sex, whatever. I suppose if this is New 52 Cassie it's a different beast, but then what do they remember about THAT Superboy?