Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I used to instruct in a 172 that had been flipped onto its back by jet blast years earlier. Probably as a result of that, it didn't fly straight, and "coordinated flight" was done with the ball about 1/4 scale deflected to the right.

That airplane had a number of other fun quirks (it was a 1969 model, so nothing was located where you'd expect it to be), and I think the flight school eventually sold it when instructors basically refused to fly it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Spanish C-295 failed to land.

Experts undecided yet as to whether it'll buff out.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Looks to me like it landed just fine :colbert:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Cat Mattress posted:

Both props feathered...?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

my kinda ape posted:

Looks to me like it landed just fine :colbert:

Yeah, looks like one you can walk away from, so there's that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cat Mattress posted:

RCAF expected to take delivery shortly

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Prelim report on the Ethiopian crash if it wasn't already posted: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/5793877/Preliminary-Report-B737-800MAX-Ethiopia.pdf

TL;DR Boeing hosed up

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Boeing is in for some pain.

Ralph Nader's grandniece was on board the Ethiopian Air flight and he's calling for a complete recall of the MAX jets.

Odds of this actually happening?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dubzee posted:

Ralph Nader's grandniece was on board the Ethiopian Air flight and he's calling for a complete recall of the MAX jets.

Thats effectively what grounding until they can re-manufacture the system is, isn't it?

KodiakRS posted:

Prelim report on the Ethiopian crash if it wasn't already posted: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/5793877/Preliminary-Report-B737-800MAX-Ethiopia.pdf

TL;DR Boeing hosed up

Look at the manual trim commands on page 26 - it just stopped responding.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dubzee posted:

Big yikes

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

dubzee posted:

I would say that this is de-facto happening. At this point, the writing is on the wall that the system will have to be reworked before they're allowed to fly again. The real question is if they'll be allowed to keep the same type rating.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Thats effectively what grounding until they can re-manufacture the system is, isn't it?

Nader is on about the design itself being defective. Adding the larger engines throws off the CG hence the software being needed to keep the thing from stalling. Updating the software doesn't fix a hardware issue.

Disclaimer; I don't know poo poo, just going by what he said in the NPR interview.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

hobbesmaster posted:

Look at the manual trim commands on page 26 - it just stopped responding.
I don’t know anything about the units they’re referencing in the report, but am I correct in assuming that if stab trim ran away and they cut it out but couldn’t manually trim it back then they were going to crash regardless of anything else they did?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I would say that this is de-facto happening. At this point, the writing is on the wall that the system will have to be reworked before they're allowed to fly again. The real question is if they'll be allowed to keep the same type rating.

Generally, a software change won't require a new type rating, but there's no way that a substantial segment on "This is what MCAS does, here's how to disable it" isn't going to be mandated as part of the differences training for the MAX.

I'm guessing the biggest change to come out of this whole mess is a substantial overhaul of the FAA certification process, since it's looking like they were totally asleep at the wheel on this one, and pretty much let Boeing sign off on certifying their own work.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1113914415374585857

quote:

A Boeing-led review of a stall-prevention system suspected in the deadly crashes of two of the company’s new 737 Max jetliners has detected an additional software problem that the FAA has ordered fixed before the planes are cleared to fly again, the company acknowledged Thursday.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The real question is not "can the planes be made safe" it's "are customers ever going to want to book routes on them again?"

The DC-10 was partially killed over public safety perception and that was before the era of social media and 24 hour news cycle.

This is going to have a pretty big ripple effect throughout the airline industry. If people shy away from MAX flights, they are going to become uneconomical to fly no matter what.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

standard.deviant posted:

I don’t know anything about the units they’re referencing in the report, but am I correct in assuming that if stab trim ran away and they cut it out but couldn’t manually trim it back then they were going to crash regardless of anything else they did?

That’s the manual electric trim. There is no indication that they ever touched the trim wheels, which is concerning.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Rebrand the 737 MAX the “757-300”

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Rebrand the 737 MAX the “757-300”

Put GEnxs on this long bitch

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MrYenko posted:

That’s the manual electric trim. There is no indication that they ever touched the trim wheels, which is concerning.

There's speculation that the high rate of speed combined with high level of trim the system dialed in made it impossible to move the manual trim wheel effectively.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KodiakRS posted:

TL;DR Boeing hosed up

Some weird stuff in there for sure. At 5:41:46 the FO asks if he can try to trim manually and then responds it isn't working a few seconds later. During that time the pitch trim doesn't change at all. That's a fully manual system, just cables and pulleys to the back. I don't know why it wouldn't work, but before that, the overspend clacker started going off and they exceeded VMO. Maybe they haven't got enough mechanical advantage over the aero forces on the stab to move it during an overspeed? I genuinely don't know, I'm not a 737 expert.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

It wouldn’t be in the telemetry if it didn’t work...

quote:

At 05:41:46, the Captain asked the First-Officer if the trim is functional. The First-Officer has replied that the trim was not working and asked if he could try it manually. The Captain told him to try. At 05:41:54, the First-Officer replied that it is not working.

So the question is what did the FO do “manually”

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Yeah it's a bit unclear, but reading between the lines, the FO asks to try to trim it manually, but there's nothing on the recording at that point that the control column trim switches were moved, so you can assume he tried the manual wheel, but you can't be 100% sure from the report.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ if there isn’t an encoder on the wheels connected to the data recorder we can never be 100% sure

Finger Prince posted:

Some weird stuff in there for sure. At 5:41:46 the FO asks if he can try to trim manually and then responds it isn't working a few seconds later. During that time the pitch trim doesn't change at all. That's a fully manual system, just cables and pulleys to the back. I don't know why it wouldn't work, but before that, the overspend clacker started going off and they exceeded VMO. Maybe they haven't got enough mechanical advantage over the aero forces on the stab to move it during an overspeed? I genuinely don't know, I'm not a 737 expert.

Is it pulleys to the back? Stabilizer control is electrical, not hydraulic according to the report

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

^^^ if there isn’t an encoder on the wheels connected to the data recorder we can never be 100% sure

Is it pulleys to the back? Stabilizer control is electrical, not hydraulic according to the report

I think it's a chain actually. The manual trim wheels are exactly that, you're physically turning the jackscrew with them once you've cut out the electric trim.

The most concerning thing, which may be the "additional software issue" referred to by Boeing/FAA is this:

quote:

At 05:43:20, approximately five seconds after the last manual electric trim input, an AND automatic
trim command occurred and the stabilizer moved in the AND direction from 2.3 to 1.0 unit in
approximately 5 seconds. The aircraft began pitching nose down. Additional simultaneous aft
column force was applied, but the nose down pitch continues, eventually reaching 40° nose down.
The stabilizer position varied between 1.1 and 0.8 units for the remainder of the recording.

This was after the cutout switches were already in cutout. There should have been no further electric authority over the stab at that point, so how did it move nose down electrically?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, it looks like from the diagram that the manual wheel turns the gearbox of the jackscrew via mechanical linkage.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

Put GEnxs on this long bitch

loong loooooooong plane

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bull3964 posted:

There's speculation that the high rate of speed combined with high level of trim the system dialed in made it impossible to move the manual trim wheel effectively.

Supplemental 737 MAX training: leg day.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

There's a small part of me remembering people saying they'd never fly on an Airbus because :911: Boeing :911: does it right and always allows the pilot to override the flight computer

To which I say "what now"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, it looks like from the diagram that the manual wheel turns the gearbox of the jackscrew via mechanical linkage.

Uhh how much effort does that require? Those wheels are in a spot where the Capt or FO could put much force into it.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

dubzee posted:

unsafe at any altitude!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

dubzee posted:

Nader is on about the design itself being defective. Adding the larger engines throws off the CG hence the software being needed to keep the thing from stalling. Updating the software doesn't fix a hardware issue.

Disclaimer; I don't know poo poo, just going by what he said in the NPR interview.
I don't know about passenger jets, but some military jets have been designed inherently unstable since the 70s so on its own I don't think that's a big deal, the software has to work though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Military jets are primarily known for their maneuverability, though, and the pilot has an exit in case something goes wrong; lower risk, for an actual reward (unstable planes are more maneuverable). A plane with 100s of passengers whose primary task is "fly in a straight line efficiently" has zero reason to be designed with negative stability.

Aside from stubbornly maintaining a 50 year old type certificate despite massive design changes like that.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Fender Anarchist posted:

A plane with 100s of passengers whose primary task is "fly in a straight line efficiently" has zero reason to be designed with negative stability.

Not true, it brings fuel savings due to a reduction in trim drag.

(Well not actually negative stability, but the reduced positive stability that airliners are skirting with)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Uhh how much effort does that require? Those wheels are in a spot where the Capt or FO could put much force into it.

The WaPo article quotes some expert, FWIW, suggesting that might be a problem:

quote:

Experts say that the airplane was traveling too fast for the manual trim wheel to be operated.

“At higher speed, manual trim may not be available due [to] air load on the stabilizer,” said John Cox, a former pilot and an airline-safety consultant who has been privately briefed on the evidence by people familiar with the investigation. “Not enough force can be generated manually to move the trim.”

Also, apparently the wrong AoA sensors was reading 75 degrees. I can't imagine that's anywhere near the normal operating conditions for an airliner?
...so this might be even more of an example of computers being stupid than it first seemed.

Edit: thinking some more, forcing use of manual trim --- perhaps because they wanted to claim the runaway trim checklist is enough --- as the recovery process for this case
is wrong since there was nothing wrong with electric trim, just with the software controlling it, and it seems plausible that electric might have been able to recover. This is of course
different from when electric is actually misbehaving, in which case the backup system might just be the best one can do.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 5, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Fender Anarchist posted:

Military jets are primarily known for their maneuverability, though, and the pilot has an exit in case something goes wrong; lower risk, for an actual reward (unstable planes are more maneuverable). A plane with 100s of passengers whose primary task is "fly in a straight line efficiently" has zero reason to be designed with negative stability.

Aside from stubbornly maintaining a 50 year old type certificate despite massive design changes like that.

There are some sweet overreactions ITT, the 737 MAX is not inherently unstable like an F-16, it suffers from a programming flaw.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
A programming flaw in software that was meant to make it fly like a 737NG

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elviscat posted:

There are some sweet overreactions ITT, the 737 MAX is not inherently unstable like an F-16, it suffers from a programming flaw.

Also its missing an entire AoA sensor if the MCAS system is truly required for the aircraft to fly.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sorry, i read that the bigger engines made it more unstable and made assumptions. Still, it does change the natural handling characteristics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bull3964 posted:

The real question is not "can the planes be made safe" it's "are customers ever going to want to book routes on them again?"

Yeah, this is a thing. I was on an Alaska connecting flight from SEA to SFO and had to reassure a few people when they saw it was a 737 that it was a -900, not a MAX. Alaska bought into the MAX 9, which hasn't actually hit primetime yet, and they don't fly any 8s.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 5, 2019