Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Luck isn't good for bleeding anymore apparently. I looked into it and everyone just said to do Dex with a blood gem now.

Ah, well, I'd like to do something different anyway. Starting fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Do a Lothric straight sword build. Pump dex, make the sword sharp, maybe add in miracles later for buff/ranged option.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

skasion posted:

Do a Lothric straight sword build. Pump dex, make the sword sharp, maybe add in miracles later for buff/ranged option.

Any way to rush that weapon besides rushing the dancer? It's been a while since I played.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Oscar Wild posted:

Any way to rush that weapon besides rushing the dancer? It's been a while since I played.

The relevant guys drop it right on the High Wall.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Lothric Straight Sword is incredible all around except it's boring to use.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Full Caestus run, just punch the crap out of everything.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Lothric Straight Sword is incredible all around except it's boring to use.

Well, I dont remember using it so naked lothric, here I go. Really wish I could do a fig leaf codpiece.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

Full Caestus run, just punch the crap out of everything.

this is actually really fun

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I reinstalled and booted the game up just to realize the button prompts reference the Xbox controller, and that it's not possible to change it to M+KB, so that's kinda lovely. Last time I played it I had a controller but it's broken.

So now I'm wondering if it'll adjust the interface to a PS4 controller if I buy that. All my previous controllers have been Xbox controllers, but I'm thinking a change might be interesting, though not if I'm gonna have to memorize what PS controls are in Xbox.

And in general, is the PS4 controller good for PC play? I seem to remember that the Dual Shock 3 was awful as a PC controller, but that the 4 was better. Is that true?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

I reinstalled and booted the game up just to realize the button prompts reference the Xbox controller, and that it's not possible to change it to M+KB, so that's kinda lovely. Last time I played it I had a controller but it's broken.

So now I'm wondering if it'll adjust the interface to a PS4 controller if I buy that. All my previous controllers have been Xbox controllers, but I'm thinking a change might be interesting, though not if I'm gonna have to memorize what PS controls are in Xbox.

And in general, is the PS4 controller good for PC play? I seem to remember that the Dual Shock 3 was awful as a PC controller, but that the 4 was better. Is that true?

I can't answer for the interface questions, but I've played through DS3, Bloodborne, and Sekiro with the DS4 and it's a great controller with native support for the games that use it, rather than all the weird third party stuff that you had to do for the DS3

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Anyone here know where to get a decent enemy randomizer for Dark Souls 3? I know one exists, because I've seen videos of people playing it, but I can't find out where to get it. Google is being unhelpful.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Cardiovorax posted:

Anyone here know where to get a decent enemy randomizer for Dark Souls 3? I know one exists, because I've seen videos of people playing it, but I can't find out where to get it. Google is being unhelpful.

e: wait uh

e2: https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/318 this one’s it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Awesome, thanks!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I, uh, I think I may have overdone it a little.

:stonk:

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I just beat Dark Souls for the first time (since owning it on launch day). I've been Dark Souls 2, so I'm hoping to finally beat Dark Souls 3.

I've played it before, but I forgot how far I was. I couldn't have been that far, I was only slvl 32. I restarted and I'm now currently slvl 20. I started Knight with Fire Gem, and I have a +2 Fire Longsword. I have resisted up/sidegrading to another weapon. I have enough points in Vigor that the HP return per level is bad (like 23 down from 30?), so I put enough points into endurance to have 102 stam which was enough to get me to 6x R1 spams.

I'm in the middle of new Undeadburg, and I've explored a lot of it. It'd be kind of pleasant if it wasn't full of burning corpses, murder, and gigantic people shooting bleed bees at me. I have enough souls to level up, and I'm not sure where to go from here. I swapped up my DS1 playthrough with a Claymore/Zweihander depending on how big my stick needed to be. The Fire Longsword is real nice, but I do worry that it'll be bogus when I need a bigger stick and/or I need to start doing real damage.

Anyways, uh, pretty stoked to keep going with this. Dark Souls 3 is real cool and stuff. Is parrying different here? I can't parry for poo poo anymore...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Once you get the chance, upgrade to a Lothric Knight Sword, it's basically the best longsword type weapon for the slot that's available for a long, loooong time. You can switch infusions at will as long as you have the correct coal and gem, so there's no loss of investment if you ever decide to switch.

And sorry, but no, parrying works the same it always did, which is to say it's still really annoying.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Parrying is different from ds1 somewhat, in that in ds1 parry frames are instant, in this game there's a bit of startup frames first, so you parry slightly earlier.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

anothergod posted:

I just beat Dark Souls for the first time (since owning it on launch day). I've been Dark Souls 2, so I'm hoping to finally beat Dark Souls 3.

I've played it before, but I forgot how far I was. I couldn't have been that far, I was only slvl 32. I restarted and I'm now currently slvl 20. I started Knight with Fire Gem, and I have a +2 Fire Longsword. I have resisted up/sidegrading to another weapon. I have enough points in Vigor that the HP return per level is bad (like 23 down from 30?), so I put enough points into endurance to have 102 stam which was enough to get me to 6x R1 spams.

I'm in the middle of new Undeadburg, and I've explored a lot of it. It'd be kind of pleasant if it wasn't full of burning corpses, murder, and gigantic people shooting bleed bees at me. I have enough souls to level up, and I'm not sure where to go from here. I swapped up my DS1 playthrough with a Claymore/Zweihander depending on how big my stick needed to be. The Fire Longsword is real nice, but I do worry that it'll be bogus when I need a bigger stick and/or I need to start doing real damage.

Anyways, uh, pretty stoked to keep going with this. Dark Souls 3 is real cool and stuff. Is parrying different here? I can't parry for poo poo anymore...

I parry ALL THE THINGS in DS1, but for the life of me can NOT get the timing down for DS3. It's apparently earlier than DS1's timing, but knowing that hasn't helped me figure it out.

v :) v

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I, uh, kind of created a thing that I don't think is supposed to exist.

There's two of them and they're kind of freaky.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

HaB posted:

I parry ALL THE THINGS in DS1, but for the life of me can NOT get the timing down for DS3. It's apparently earlier than DS1's timing, but knowing that hasn't helped me figure it out.

v :) v

lol, these mirror my feelings pretty exactly. I tried the Uchi and its parry powermove is pretty rad and easy to make happen, but it's loving weird that it costs FP. I also tried a buckler for all of a minute, and it was pretty easy to parry with, too. Is there a good video about Dark Souls 3 parrying? I googled it and found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqy_LzYEf3g

And goddamn that's loving sick evil poo poo wow

edit: I found this and it's a real actual good video (apparently!?) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pscvwXYPcG0

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

You managed to port Bloodborne into DS3, good job.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Cardiovorax posted:

What in the actual gently caress

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

What in the actual gently caress
I'm pretty sure it's a wyvern with its tail twisted up and kind of folded back into its own butt. The burning cloud of ribbons used to be wings.

I'm not entirely sure where the fire is coming from. It was just kind of there.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Looks like a pilgrim butterfly to me. Just it's sitting on the ground and you can't see its wings.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Yes, it's obviously a pilgrim butterfly. Dunno why it's *there* though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, that's just because I'm using an enemy randomizer. I had never seen those things before, so I thought it was a weird geometry bug resulting from trying to shove a dragon into a little cubby hole it's really not made for.

Thanks for clearing that up, by the way. Guess the Bloodborne is native.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Just killed Sulyvhan, I'm on my first (blind) run of the game. After getting the plat in BB I can safely say he doesn't belong in DS3 and is probably one of the worst boss ever designed in the soulsborne series.

It didn't take me as many tries as Orphan of Kos in BB, only 15 or 20 or something along those lines but he kind of represents everything that's wrong with the franchise and why I'm happy they moved on with Sekiro. First off he's basically a BB boss in a souls game: he can string long combos together, never gives you any respite and punishes all your healing attempts. This is already loving stupid in a game where the roll is crap compared to what we had in BB and parry has a weird af timing (fun stuff: a vid called "ultimate parry guide" features a dude facing Sulyvhan that actually misses a couple of parries after what I suppose was a monstrous amount of time to film the perfect fight and look good on youtube).

But hey it's not all, boss also has all the worst features of a trash DS boss: most of his moves inexplicably can loving hit you in a 360° angle, he has a couple of no windup, no tell instant moves and hits like an absolute goddamn truck. A missed parry/roll will often cut your life in half. Even with all that, at first I was like "I did a no hit Gascoigne+Maria+Gehrman" just two weeks ago in my fourth BB run, how hard can he be? Well not that hard it turns out, it's just a dumpster fire of a fight. Once I got his time down I wasn't hit by anything at all (except the occasional no windup 180° thrust because hey why not) but rolling didn't get me far. Boss is so active that I simply didn't have enough stamina to hit him after his 24 hit bullshit street fighter combo and then be prepared to dodge again. Shield was a bit sketchy and parrying was very hit and miss. I don't like the timing, I don't like that he has moves with no tells I can't even parry, in short gently caress parrying in DS3.

Luckily while being underleveled and with a relatively low hp pool (playing an assassin type build) I have massive damage for this point of the game, so once I found out he was vulnerable to fire I just pine resined my Estoc, didn't respect his first phase at all, respected the second even less and killed him immediately. Oh and his second phase is weird and def easier if you don't... kill the shadow? Someone better than me at this will probably know. Was that satisfying? No. I learned everything I needed about him in my first 5-6 tries, he didn't teach me anything about the game except reinforcing the fact that DS3 is unoriginal and uninspired compared to BB, he just wasted some of my time.

tl;dr: Sulyvhan is a bizarre boss that shouldn't be in DS3, should I ever want to plat this game because maybe (hopefully) it gets good later I'll cheese the hell out of him forever

EDIT: oh and right after killing him I thought "someone will surely have found a way to pulverize him in 3 seconds" but the first results I got after googling were something like "insanely difficult ds3 boss was supposed to be the final boss in an earlier version of the game". "Supposed to be", but I like to think that the guy suggesting that got slapped in a room full of people and shut up about his dumb idea forever. Sorry for the long and pretty whiny post, hope the game does get better soon.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 5, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This game hates you because you hated its favorite child, Vigor. Get more vigor. “But my build!” No, vigor is your build now. This game wants you to have 27 vigor for the entire second half and the sooner you get it the more fun you’ll have. Glass cannon type builds just don’t work. It’s too difficult to avoid all damage in this game compared to 1. similar to 2, they wanted to increase the challenge from 1 and at times it gets bullshittier in pursuit of that.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

He's a parry boss and also melts to pyromancies

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

skasion posted:

This game hates you because you hated its favorite child, Vigor. Get more vigor. “But my build!” No, vigor is your build now. This game wants you to have 27 vigor for the entire second half and the sooner you get it the more fun you’ll have. Glass cannon type builds just don’t work. It’s too difficult to avoid all damage in this game compared to 1. similar to 2, they wanted to increase the challenge from 1 and at times it gets bullshittier in pursuit of that.

Yeah skasion I noticed that, but right after BB I thought they learned something from it. Well, they didn't, my build would've been ok in DS1, maybe not in DS2 but lol that game was pure trash, and I expected much less bullshit than I found. So far the only difficulty I've been having are the occasional big armored knights (again the game insists on forcing you to lose fights even after you got the timing right, by making enemies too active), because bosses are absolute uninspired trash until Sulyvhan which is just gross and stupid.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

HP is the first stat I level in any of these games.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Kawabata posted:

DS2 but lol that game was pure trash

Well at least now I know not to listen to your opinions...

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

Well at least now I know not to listen to your opinions...

DS2 is widely considered the worst in the series

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Which is why forums hipsters claim to love it

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

feelix posted:

Which is why forums hipsters claim to love it

Those damned hipsters, liking things I don't. :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Not by me

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

One day you'll all see.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Oh, I know that. But while I can see where the sentiment comes from, I find it hard to entirely agree with that assessment. It has some very big and glaring flaws but also some things it does better than any other DS in the series. In all honesty I probably played it more than any other Souls title, including Dark Souls 1, thanks to some great multiplayer mechanics and covenants (and I generally dislike multiplayer games), better equipment 'balance' than DS1 or 3, and a slower pace than DS 3 (which is too fast for me at times to find fun).

Even if it's the worst in the series, which is a pretty black and white way of looking at it, calling it 'trash' just seems too reductive to be true.

That said, I only played Scholar of the First Sin. Perhaps the original version is a lot crappier.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
pure trash is an exaggeration since ds2 lost goty to dragon age inquisition, a game that is very clearly pure trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Yeah all the RPG mechanics in Dark Souls 2 are amazing and the deepest and most interesting in the series. Which is why it's extra unfortunate that the controls feel like complete poo poo, because unfortunately you actually have to move and fight in order to enjoy one of the huge variety of cool builds DS2 offers.