Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Qwertycoatl posted:

I've not tried this one but for the skeletons last time you could get her down low with whatever, then run round letting her spawn the adds and finish off with some random single target possibly linked to culling strike. Does that work here too?

that's how i did it last league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Besides what's been raised, another big issue I have with synthesis is that it involves way too much time standing and looking at the Nexus map instead of actually playing the game. They describe it similar to a boardgame mechanic, but I don't play PoE to play a boardgame.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Synthesis stuff that doesn't revolve around crafting/being an end-stage capitalism simulator is kind of cool, if fiddly. (Less fiddly than before).

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

suuma posted:

I play this game every league for a week or two and have no idea what I'm doing because there's so much unexplained fluff, particularly with regards to crafting.

This is pretty much my experience so far, only I'm 2 leagues in; played Delve until act... 7? Then came back in Synthesis and finally got through act 10 and got to maps... only to immediately decide to make a new build so now I'm in act 3.

I've annoyed the guys at the discord with this already, but got a couple different responses so here goes again:

What the hell am I supposed to do regarding gearing up while levelling? I know I should be on the lookout for +life / +resist pieces, but most of the time the stuff I'm getting has gently caress all for slots/links, so I'm not sure what's the 'breakpoint' where I sacrifice one or the other. I've been mostly prioritising slots/links and using chromatic orbs sparingly when I get something that's close to what I need (say, got a +life 4-link pair of gloves but they're not the right colours at a high-ish level), but there always comes a point where I start getting shredded by regular-rear end enemies, and it feels like getting a drop that has the proper amount of links/stats is impossible.

Should I be trying to craft poo poo? buying it?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mischalaniouse posted:

I'll admit I am not a veteran of this game (I've played since launch but VERY off and on) and I have never played a season, but why don't people like Synthesis?

I am enjoying collecting the dream fragments and arranging them on the board to reach the treasure rooms, it feels like a fun system.

I don’t really like the way collapsing memories work in practice, I don’t really care for fractured items and synthesized items are too much :effort:

If leagues had unique league aesthetics for rares this league would own. Or if they would let us spectre league enemies. :argh:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

I try to grab a few staple levelling uniques (poo poo like wanderlust, lifesprig, axiom perpetum, goldrim, lochtonial caress, tabula rasa if you can afford it, etc) and re-use those on every new character I make. Other than that I fill out life/resists/stats with whatever gear I find and don't bother much with crafting/buying until I hit maps and my build is starting to properly come together

TheRat fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 4, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can craft resists onto open affixes which makes leveling rares good and sometimes better than using a unique in the slot.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

This is pretty much my experience so far, only I'm 2 leagues in; played Delve until act... 7? Then came back in Synthesis and finally got through act 10 and got to maps... only to immediately decide to make a new build so now I'm in act 3.

I've annoyed the guys at the discord with this already, but got a couple different responses so here goes again:

What the hell am I supposed to do regarding gearing up while levelling? I know I should be on the lookout for +life / +resist pieces, but most of the time the stuff I'm getting has gently caress all for slots/links, so I'm not sure what's the 'breakpoint' where I sacrifice one or the other. I've been mostly prioritising slots/links and using chromatic orbs sparingly when I get something that's close to what I need (say, got a +life 4-link pair of gloves but they're not the right colours at a high-ish level), but there always comes a point where I start getting shredded by regular-rear end enemies, and it feels like getting a drop that has the proper amount of links/stats is impossible.

The first four link I find / make that fits my skill is locked in until maps. Everything else gets continually upgraded.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I've had some serious lag in about half of the instances since a few days. Creating a new instance usually helps. However, I'm wondering how the whole instance/server/gateway stuff actually works. Are the instances/servers tied to the gateway? Should I switch the gateway in a situation like this?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

My gearing priorities while leveling:

1. Good links for your main skill. They don't have to be perfect optimal dps, like if you want BBBG but you only have a BBBB. Swapping a support gem for a less optimal one in a 4-link will almost always be better than running a 3-link.
2. Decent weapons if you're attack-based. Sell a weapon, a blacksmith whetstone, and a magic/rare rustic sash to a vendor and you'll get a magic weapon of the same base with increased phsical damage.
3. Resists as close to 75% as possible. They don't have to be exactly 75% for most of leveling. This is where the crafting bench comes into play, because you can craft extra resists onto anything with a free suffix.
4. As much life as possible.

And yeah sometimes it's a good idea to buy things from other players, or craft something with an essence for example. Best time is usually after beating Act 5 Kitava when your resists drop.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 4, 2019

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Baller Time posted:

I've had some serious lag in about half of the instances since a few days. Creating a new instance usually helps. However, I'm wondering how the whole instance/server/gateway stuff actually works. Are the instances/servers tied to the gateway? Should I switch the gateway in a situation like this?

You'll only change gateways if you're joining someone else's instance, otherwise all of your instances will be in the gateway you connected to see login. Switching may help if it is in fact the gateway.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Heaven help you if your leveling any character past your first in anything but twink leveling gear. I always play my first character just long enough to buy all of that gear + maybe an expensive piece of my next chars gear set.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Patch is out :toot:

quote:

Abysses can no longer spawn in Memories.

:confused:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Follow the abyss into the blue

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Vasudus posted:

The nexus/memories post-patch are in a considerably better state of things than at launch. It's largely where it should have been from the start.

Nah, they're still poo poo. 2 out of every 5 of them collapse on me within 15 seconds of going in, trapping me so I have no way to get through to the main killing area, even with flame dash. At least with incursions the temple wasn't collapsing on you. It's a bad mechanic and I hope to hell all this effort they've been doing recently doesn't mean they're going to spend even more effort trying to make this garbage core.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I haven't had one collapse on me in weeks, since I learned to read the direction. You can quickly see which way the blue is going and avoid it far far more often than 60 percent of the time. If you aren't exaggerating your 2 out of 5 stat, for your next few memories take a second to watch the decay and go the other direction.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

pork never goes bad posted:

I haven't had one collapse on me in weeks, since I learned to read the direction. You can quickly see which way the blue is going and avoid it far far more often than 60 percent of the time. If you aren't exaggerating your 2 out of 5 stat, for your next few memories take a second to watch the decay and go the other direction.

this can be dangerous in certain memories. sometimes it is better to run directly away from the void as it advances because the other path is likely to be blocked

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I've run into plenty of memories already blocking my paths or going the wrong way at the start then blocking me completly or decaying memories in the nexus already having the path completely covered.

I really don't kill stuff or save memories that are going to decay the next time I run because how random it is.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Follow the abyss into the blue

Was a bug, probably just not worth the time to fix.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Even with the overhaul to synthesis I'm just not feeling it. Delve was a ton of fun with small rewards at every junction but synthesis feels like a lot more work for less reward. I feel like I'm spending a ton of my playtime dicking around in the Nexus but not getting rewarded much for it, and then after running through a path to some chests or modifiers or whatever I still have parts to place down and it's just a headache.

I've also run into decaying memories in the nexus just flat out cutting me off from an exit like five seconds in more than I'd like to count.

I don't really know. And all the stuff being core is starting to feel like a chore as well. Einhar is great because he just involves you running around the map killing stuff like you normally would, and there isn't really a big limitation on needing to stop to go to the menagerie every x amount. Alva is okay but I have ptsd from having to do her every map in incursion so I actually find her annoying even now even though the time investment is relatively low and the rewards are decent. Betrayal just isn't balanced at all. At least I really enjoy delving but it feels like I never see Niko, heh.

Oh, and the fractured and synthesis stuff — I understand how it works, but it involves a lot of out-of-game fiddling and getting all the right parts so for someone like me who rarely crafts it just doesn't feel fun or worth it either. At least essences or fossils are easy to slap on something and hope you get something good, or sell to someone else who will.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I stopped trying to farm memory modifiers after I tried a 5 stack on 5 memories and it was extremely underwhelming. Now I just save up 10-12(you could also do 14) memories then just try to blitz for reward platforms. Then depending if the memories I have left over only have 1 use left I usually delete them unless they are already placed way off the path that it just lets me save more memories for the next go. If its just a memory with 1 more run and its not placed I just delete it because running decaying memories suck.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Patch is out :toot:

:confused:

Abyss holes could end up opening in the decay and if the trove ended up spawning there you couldn't open it. Not sure if a depths entrance could appear in memories but I imagine that would really suck too

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Do you like Einhar?

Do you really like Einhar?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Einhar is my best friend

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

You may have doomed the thread to an entire page of "Einhar? I LOVE Einhar!" posts.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Well, I do love Einhar

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

SynthesisAlpha posted:

You may have doomed the thread to an entire page of "Einhar? I LOVE Einhar!" posts.

Beats any of the other page-long derails this thread has had.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Nice Zana Time

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I never noticed that Einhar's mask was a gas mask.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
He is a predator.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He is easily the best character in the game despite his steampunk crossbow.

RED TEXT BIG GUN
Sep 1, 2001

Taco Defender

Edmond Dantes posted:

For spells, you make a +1 (lighting/fire/cold) sceptre as soon as you can using the magic sceptre/wand + alteration orb + (topaz/ruby/sapphire) ring vendor recipe. You can make a (topaz/ruby/sapphire) ring with an iron ring plus a (green/red/blue) skill gem vendor recipe. That carries you until you have a 4-link drop with colors you need for your main damage dealing skill. 4-links start dropping in act 3 but you prob won't find your colors until act 4. Make sure you have a loot filter that dings when one drops and check everyone that does.

For melee, there is a blacksmith whetstone + magic/rare rustic sash + weapon vendor recipe that gives you that weapon back with 40-69% increased physical damage mod. Because the base damage of the weapon is what is scaled by your skills, you need to keep on doing this recipe every other act or so as you level. That's one of the things that sucks about leveling melee. Spells' base damage is on the gem itself so you can roll a driftwood wand the whole game. Loot filter that highlights the highest level melee weapons for that zone will help (Neversink's does this). Once you're in act 3 and dropping 4-links, it's real good to get a 4-link of your colors on an armor piece because you're going to be throwing out your weapon so often.

Mercy Mission quest at start of act 1 for the first quicksilver, Great White Beast quest at start of act 2 for the second quicksilver. Once you don't need alts for any required skill gems or recipes, throw those at life flasks until you get a instant recovery flask. Stopping bleed is a good mod too.

The utility skills usually don't need 4-links. A single-target utility skill set up is nice to have on a 4-link but 3 link is prob fine.

Beyond that priorities are any # movement speed on boots -> resists -> life. Resists in the 50s and 60s are okay-ish. No other modifiers really matter on armor/jewelry besides resists and life. Don't give up +life for +cast speed for example. Use your essences and alchs as you need upgrades. You're not going to reliably be able to 4-link or color much more than an item or two for the whole main story if you're running through it.

After the first Kitava fight, go to your hideout and add craft up all your rares for resist or life. I think you naturally run into all those recipes but I can't remember for sure.

Here's notes I took on one of Havoc's act 10 Kitava runs, to give you idea on when you get links.

Havoc posted:

Havoc 3.5 Templar with storm brand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffk0ehBdRcY

after island:
onslaught reward
BG for frost bomb onslaught
buy arcane surge
frost bomb reward
war banner

frost bomb - onslaught w double wand will one shot? yea
then look for double green elsewhere for explosive trap

Act 1:
BG: frost bomb - onslaught
GGB explosive trap - lesser poison - added lightning

Act 2+3:
BBB wand. arcane surge - faster casting - flame dash
BBG storm brand +1 lightning wand: storm brand - faster casting - onslaught

No chest until after killing bandits

After voll do siosa for lightning spire:

4-links:
BBBB: lightning spire - controlled destruction - ele focus - added lightning
BBBG: storm brand - faster casting - controlled destruction - onslaught

RED TEXT BIG GUN
Sep 1, 2001

Taco Defender
Making folks come to the Nexus to trade is another pita thing from this league :-/

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

RED TEXT BIG GUN posted:

Making folks come to the Nexus to trade is another pita thing from this league :-/

huh? why you making them do that?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

RED TEXT BIG GUN posted:

Lots of good poo poo

Hey, thanks a bunch to everyone who chimed in with levelling/gearing tips. :tipshat:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

RED TEXT BIG GUN posted:

Once in a party just hit the blue swirl on the picture and you will teleport to them. No need to fiddle around and guess where they are.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If I'm selling you an item for a piddly 5 chaos you better come to my memory nexus or mine. Sometimes when people ask to buy high price items I teleport to their hideout by mistake.

Also the memory nexus sucks rear end to leave in the middle of a long trek also because you lose that progress.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hey, thanks a bunch to everyone who chimed in with levelling/gearing tips. :tipshat:

Also go fast. The faster you get through the story the soone you can start playing the game. It took me a while to understand what fast means in the context of PoE. It basically means using your Quicksilver flask on cooldown. If you're spending significant time at your normal movespeed, get a second Quicksilver. Don't worry about full clears or missing something; you can always come back to do it later. Basically,
Enter zone
Find/complete objective if there is one
Find exit
Kill anything directly in your way.
I'm still struggling with picking up too much garbage especially while levelling because I don't have a have on how many alts, transmutes, etc. I'll need, but it's always way fewer than I end up with.

When you're fighting a beefy mob or boss (or syndicate) don't stay still. Every time I die it's because I got lazy or stood there to throw just...one...more...trap and I get squished. IDK about channeled spells, but if you have to stop to attack/cast, just do it once, then use your move skill, then again, etc. The stuff that kills you fast or throws a zillion attacks at you targets where you're standing when they start, so just keep moving.

Keep your resists capped or at least close to it. The 3rd or 4th zone in act 6 has dudes with totems that hot really hard, if you are down 30 resists from Kitava, you'll die.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

To append the above:

Your fire resistance will quickly get hosed just after Kitava because of the Scorching Ray totem dudes.

If you can quickly kill blue mobs, do it, since you still need XP while leveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

its boot time