Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Z. Autobahn posted:

I was something of a free college skeptic insofar as I strongly dislike the 4-year-college model and would prefer to dismantle it rather than further entrench it as a necessary institution *but* I don't see any plausible way to do that in anywhere near the timeframe as just pushing for free college and also I think Darko made a strong case that the social envrionments of college is one of the absolute best hopes we have at opening the minds of swaths of red state kids. It's not just going to a hobby, it's a social force for positive change and the more kids we send to it, the better chance we have at future generations not being absolute garbage.

It's not my ideal "wave a magic wand" solution, but I think it's better than any plausible alternative.

This is the best argument put forth for free music and philosophy degrees in this thread, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

silence_kit posted:

This is the best argument put forth for free music and philosophy degrees in this thread, IMO.

you really needed someone to tell you that helping people expose themselves to new ideas is healthy, both for them and this country?

edit: oh, you needed someone to put it in a red vs blue context so your team sports mentality could be tickled

Condiv fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 5, 2019

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you're mad about people getting degrees that don't have a huge RoI then you ought to start by being mad at people getting degrees that are actively harmful to both the individual and society, such as, say, an MBA.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Also it seems like a loss for society if better philosophers and musicians are being wasted flipping burgers although I suppose the response I'll get will be "poor people are genetically too stupid and oafish to offer anything in refined fields anyway"

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Condiv posted:

you really needed someone to tell you that helping people expose themselves to new ideas is healthy, both for them and this country?

edit: oh, you needed someone to put it in a red vs blue context so your team sports mentality could be tickled

Maybe in order to make more convincing arguments on internet message boards you need to develop your writing skills by getting a(nother?) college degree in writing.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
We shouldn't be surprised at those who want to keep higher education out of ordinary people's hands. They're anti-education in general. Watch them pull the other way trying to get rid of public education at all levels.

The whole "but who's going to paaaaay for iiiiit?" shtick is insincere. These people know good and well that most of the public's money goes into our nebulous "defense" spending. Money which could be used to save lives is instead being used to make f-35s and weapons of mass destruction. Don't listen to the magic bean counters.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Condiv posted:

I'm always amused by the kind of snotty liberal who wails about the non-college-educated voters putting Trump in office yet when it comes to policies ameliorating that their classism kicks in and they can't make the connection between Democrats doing well with college educated voters and increasing the ranks of the college-educated.

The most important thing a degree does is teach people critical thinking, regardless of whether it's a music degree, there's a reason the GOP is terrified of an educated electorate!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

silence_kit posted:

Maybe in order to make more convincing arguments on internet message boards you need to develop your writing skills by getting a(nother?) college degree in writing.

i guess I should be flattered that you suggest I already have a writing degree

I'd like to get another degree or two, but sadly the idea of people improving themselves beyond the bare minimum of economic necessity is verboten (and schmucks like you don't help). maybe if we had a few less f35s, people like me could more easily afford to improve themselves

Condiv fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 5, 2019

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

VitalSigns posted:

The most important thing a degree does is teach people critical thinking, regardless of whether it's a music degree, there's a reason the GOP is terrified of an educated electorate!

ding ding ding

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

silence_kit posted:

Being able to go to a 4 year college for your hobby for free is a kind of a luxury, IMO. IMO the government money would be better put to use for the following social programs:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

joepinetree, Bernie's plan does not exactly do this. It does not set a low reimbursement rate. It just reimburses students for state college tuitions at whatever the 2015-2016 rates were, and require that tuition not increase by too much from year to year from that rate.

It does require though that the funds not be spent on new student centers/gyms, or on administrators' salaries, or on college sports programs, which is good IMO, because all of those things are money sinks which have little to do with the education of college students.

Wait, so it doesn't set a reimbursement rate, just sets about amount with a maximum allowed increase? I wonder what we should call "set price that colleges must abide by with maximum increases"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder why people expect Republican turnout (general GOP, not Alt-Right turnout) to be as high as in 2016. What rallying points do they have this time, considering that ACA repeal is dead, the Wall isn't really getting funded, the muslim travel ban backfired, and Susan Collins' fuckup on the SC nomination?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Because the Democratic party is going to allow itself to be purity tested into Oblivion.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Grouchio posted:

I wonder why people expect Republican turnout (general GOP, not Alt-Right turnout) to be as high as in 2016. What rallying points do they have this time, considering that ACA repeal is dead, the Wall isn't really getting funded, the muslim travel ban backfired, and Susan Collins' fuckup on the SC nomination?

Republican turnout will be as high as in 2016 because it is, largely speaking, a fixed constant. Trump's numbers were just barely different from Romney's.

It's Dem turnout that's variable.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i hope that gropey joe gets :qq: purity tested :qq: into oblivion

he's absolute garbage

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Grouchio posted:

Hillary Clinton.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bird cooch posted:

Because the Democratic party is going to allow itself to be purity tested into Oblivion.

Tell us how you think that will play out.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Condiv posted:

i hope that gropey joe gets :qq: purity tested :qq: into oblivion

he's absolute garbage

That's not even purity test. Biden is out in the open with a long track record of bad votes bad decisions and bad actions.

However, the Sanders folks seem to be going out of their way to attack every other person running. And these fights all seem to be really one-sided.

Sanders lost to Hillary Clinton of all people. In a field of what for maybe if you count the book tour guys like Webb and O'Malley. Clinton had the likeability of a wet sock and still beat Sanders soundly after what 30-odd years of Republican messaging against her? What are you going to do if he loses again? Cry foul question mark take your ball and go home?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bird cooch posted:

However, the Sanders folks seem to be going out of their way to attack every other person running. And these fights all seem to be really one-sided.

It’s a primary, you twit.

quote:

Sanders lost to Hillary Clinton of all people. In a field of what for maybe if you count the book tour guys like Webb and O'Malley. Clinton had the likeability of a wet sock and still beat Sanders soundly after what 30-odd years of Republican messaging against her? What are you going to do if he loses again? Cry foul question mark take your ball and go home?

It’s almost as if he A, wasn’t running to win, and B, had immense structural and institutional barriers working against him.:thunk:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

bird cooch posted:

a lot of other people running have a poo poo track record as well

why should kamala harris or pete buttigieg or beto o'rourke get a pass for their crappy behavior?

oh right, :qq: purity testing :qq:

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Gresh posted:

jesus christ, thats pretty much the death blow

Guaranteed he gets into the race still. This is going to be sad and hilarious at the same time.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wow can't believe Republican propaganda wasn't effective in a Democratic primary.
Rush Limbaugh called Hillary shrill and everything and Democrats didn't care she's a wizard.

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin
I'm not voting for anyone who doesn't own a Prius.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Was right wing turnout high or was turnout in general low just not as low for the right

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Uncle Wemus posted:

Was right wing turnout high or was turnout in general low just not as low for the right
The latter iirc. The polls were wrong because nobody noticed that dem turnout was also low.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Wicked Them Beats posted:

On the issue of Buttigieg being good or the devil made flesh, everything about him feels focus grouped to hell and back. If it sounds like he's saying things you like I can guarantee you it's because he saw a poll somewhere that suggested it was the right thing to say. His entire life and career has been about building a resume and you just can't trust that sort of ladder climber to do the right thing except where the right thing happens to coincide with their personal interest.

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm halfway through that long-rear end Current Affairs article and am starting to wonder if he's even really gay. I feel lovely to even think it, but I wouldn't count out the possibility that he crunched the numbers at some point in his life and determined it would give him an n-percent advantage in his political career to be gay over being just another straight white dude.

It feels that way, but as a straight white guy, there would be hell for saying it. I had some Hillary people use the gay thing to refuse to accept any criticism in 2016, for example, so it's not completely implausible.

It feels like Pete chose to put certain things in his biography to immunize him from attacks by just saying he's getting attacked because _____. Like a token six months in the military, so he can forever claim he's a veteran.

Just incredibly, incredibly robotic slimy.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
One more subtle downside of a homophobic culture is that a lot of ambitious and talented gay people end up being extra establishment/bootlicker/pick your term.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

beto sex cramp posted:

I'm not voting for anyone who doesn't own a Prius.

Conversely, I'm not voting for anyone who does, and I live in a swing state. Your call, anyone who actually wants to be President.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Regarding Mike Pence, people really gotta learn that someone being a true believer doesn't mean they're committed to truth or accountability. In fact, Pence's fundamentalism means the exact opposite is true - he sees his enemies as unpeople to whom he owes nothing.

gandlethorpe posted:

I'm halfway through that long-rear end Current Affairs article and am starting to wonder if he's even really gay. I feel lovely to even think it (fwiw, I'm a homo), but I wouldn't count out the possibility that he crunched the numbers at some point in his life and determined it would give him an n-percent advantage in his political career to be gay over being just another straight white dude. He comes across as a self-absorbed robot who doesn't care about anyone/anything unless it's something that would look good on his CV/Wikipedia page.

Butt is a clown but what the gently caress, don't do this.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

lets talk more about how pete "all lives matter" buttigieg is a fake progressive

https://twitter.com/IBJIYONGI/status/1111977518872051712

https://twitter.com/IBJIYONGI/status/1111978727053889536

https://twitter.com/IBJIYONGI/status/1111980131684417537

https://twitter.com/IBJIYONGI/status/1113545249484308480

https://twitter.com/IBJIYONGI/status/1113548653245890566

https://twitter.com/IBJIYONGI/status/1113557312067768321

https://twitter.com/IBJIYONGI/status/1113558738328326144

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's not the Bernie people being too interested in "purity testing" it's the fact that the last thirty years has been the Democratic leaders very deliberately pushing a specific ideology of right wing economics and "meh who really cares?" social liberalism in their candidates. The result is that the stable now is a bunch of losers with politics no one really likes outside of the upper class and an alienated base with no advocates so that's who they have with any sort of resume to run. It's not that leftists are too picky none of these losers outside of Warren and Sanders have any history that indicates they won't just welch on every platform plank they have suddenly picked up. Harris couldn't even be bothered to wait until after the election to rules lawyer "well technically I didn't go to AIPAC they came to ME :smug:"

If any of these people were half decent it would be one thing but every one of them has been exposed as bad upon the tiniest bit of investigation.

Condiv posted:

lets talk more about how pete "all lives matter" buttigieg is a fake progressive

The fact that he was the darling of the pundit class should have been all you needed to know that he was trash.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 5, 2019

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

YaketySass posted:

Butt is a clown but what the gently caress, don't do this.

It is a reasonable take, especially since his campaign is trying to change the subject with a fake "is he gay enough?" controversy

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

P much explains all the rest.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

gently caress off mayor buttchug

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
loving lol that they insist on the "rising" and "surging" frame for Buttgieg because he went from 2 to 3% in a poll.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

There's a certain type of person in the Dem Party/Pundit Class that's desperate for a clean cut white guy to be the nominee and Buttigieg is their man now that O'Rourke started coming off as too much of an empty suit for even the empty suits to handle.

Now that the Buttman is getting some heat perhaps Tim Ryan will finally have his chance at the spotlight.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Wicked Them Beats posted:

There's a certain type of person in the Dem Party/Pundit Class that's desperate for a clean cut white guy to be the nominee and Buttigieg is their man now that O'Rourke started coming off as too much of an empty suit for even the empty suits to handle.

Now that the Buttman is getting some heat perhaps Tim Ryan will finally have his chance at the spotlight.

Buttigieg flaming out means it's time for another Midwestern Serious Thinker, Amy Klobuchar. Treating employees poorly is a selling point to boomers!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Bernie should release his tax returns.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
This thread has a weird habit of mistaking “leftists online are mad at him” with “flaming out”. Pete, Klobuchar, Harris, etc were never ever trying to earn our votes, and our opinions don’t matter to them. No one who likes Bernie is even meaningfully in play, which makes us the equivalent of a deep red state in the general.

Biden, as a counter-example, is actually flaming out, insofar as this week is damaging him with a coalition of voters whose votes he’s actually chasing.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Bernie should release his tax returns.

as a Wikileaks-style insurance file, without the key. That would own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Z. Autobahn posted:

This thread has a weird habit of mistaking “leftists online are mad at him” with “flaming out”. Pete, Klobuchar, Harris, etc were never ever trying to earn our votes, and our opinions don’t matter to them. No one who likes Bernie is even meaningfully in play, which makes us the equivalent of a deep red state in the general.

Biden, as a counter-example, is actually flaming out, insofar as this week is damaging him with a coalition of voters whose votes he’s actually chasing.

Eh, I agree insofar as they haven’t actually taken off enough to flame out in the first place.