Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

80d is a Good Camera.

My single beef with it is the d-pad style control on the back. The spin dial is great. The d-pad part is fine. But when I try to press the set button I am constantly triggering the d-pad and selecting something I didn't want to. My sausage of a thumb is just too chunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

xzzy posted:

80d is a Good Camera.

My single beef with it is the d-pad style control on the back. The spin dial is great. The d-pad part is fine. But when I try to press the set button I am constantly triggering the d-pad and selecting something I didn't want to. My sausage of a thumb is just too chunky.

bring 👏 back 👏 the 👏 XXD 👏 joypad

i'll never shut up about this

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i have a 20D and the control system is amazing somehow

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

evil_bunnY posted:

Buy wasabi's, be gay, do crimes.

I bought two Wasabi batteries for my new 80D. Can confirm, not gay.

Awesome batteries by the way.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i have a 20D and the control system is amazing somehow

It might just be me needing to adapt to the 80d, but yeah I still kind of like the 20d's controls a bit better, even though they're pretty similar overall.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

for me i think it was the refreshment of learning to use an electronic gadget which still has an old style "these buttons were placed this way to actually help you use the device better" design. Compared to how nowadays almost every gadget has the philosophy of just "throw all the buttons on a touchscreen lol"

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Cross posting from the mirorless thread, because no answers.

Is there anything the RP/RF-24-105 combo is actually bad at? I know it's not perfect, but within the applicable focal length and /4 limitations....?

I'm thinking about picking up those and the 50/1.8STM and the 100/2.8Lmacro (both from canon refurb) to get back into nice cameras.

The 50 and 100 can handle portraits, the 50 for low light stuff, and the 24-105 would be the general purpose default lens. I'd be looking for more reach as the next lens, but the price of the RF 70-200 is gonna scare me. I'd probably pick up the 70-300 (v. something) until I could afford the L and RF extenders are out. The EF 2.8L IS is just too huge for me for the near future.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 25, 2019

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
f/4 doesn't suck nearly as much as it used to, high ISO performance having improved drastically in the last ~10 years.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Seamonster posted:

f/4 doesn't suck nearly as much as it used to, high ISO performance having improved drastically in the last ~10 years.
That's my thinking. The RF 24-105 should be fine for 95% of the shots I need to take. Grabbed the camera, lens, and the 50/1.4 and 100/2.8Lmacro this morning. I still need to pick a longer lens, the 70-300 IS II isn't in stock at canon refurb iirc. Oh well, I'll keep an eye for it, trip isn't for a while.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF-600mm-f4-L-IS-II-USM-Telephoto-lens/163615633766?hash=item2618407166:g:PKEAAOSwyHJccusr

Talk me down...

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Any instance where you don't get paid to use that is a waste. Did I do good?

Canon 600mm f4 IS II USM, for the archives.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
A 400mm or even 300mm 2.8 with the TCs is probably more versatile? thats the best I got.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

That seems really expensive for a niche purpose lens. Fun to imagine...but expensive and niche.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd have to be a lot richer than I am to spring for that, but if I was? No second thoughts, BUY BUY BUY.

But I also like to shoot races and maybe some wildlife and stuff.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
For a split second I thought about getting one of those this week when it became available during the Canon refurb sale. You aren't crazy to drool over it, but yeah, that's a serious investment.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s cherry blossom season in Japan, so I was out at one of the bigger parks in Tokyo last week (Ueno Park) and there were tons of people taking photos. Was taking shots around a tree near the entrance with a ton of other people. Not surprising.

What was surprising was the machine gun sound I heard, turned and saw a dude wielding a 1DX II plus one of those 600 mm L lenses behind me. Link to pic for proof. He also had some kind of good Nikon with a shorter tele/zoom tele hanging off his shoulder.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shootin' macro from 100 yards away, only way to fly. :whatup:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

80d is a Good Camera.

Question for owners of an 80D. The only thing stopping me from buying one is the lack of dual SD/memory card slots (I do paid work and am paranoid AF about SD card corruption). Are my concerns silly, or should I just spring for the 5D iii?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 27, 2019

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
If I were in your shoes I’d ask myself this:

1) How catastrophic would it be if I were to lose work images due to a card failure?

2) Can I afford something with dual slots?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't know what other considerations you have, but 7dmkii has dual slots too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Consider your risks. If you’re wondering whether you can afford a dual slot body, how do you afford single points of failure down the pipeline?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My camera isn't my livelihood so if I lost images I'd just get really pissed for a day (okay, two) and then go out and take more pictures after smashing the SD card that failed me into carbon dust.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I have a 70D which I have owned since the camera was released in 2013. When I bought it, I also bought a Sandisk 64GB SD card. That same SD card is still in my 70D which has been in constant use multiple times a week since I bought it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Dual card 7DmkII saved my rear end on a paid job. Ironically it also was the first time I shot dual card.

If you are doing paid work then get dual card camera. If you are thinking of a 80D for paid work then a 7DmkII will make you v.happy even if it more than a bit long in the tooth these days.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I never actually use both card slots when I use my 5D3 because I hate losing the burst rate/buffer clear speed when you add the SD card compared to just shooting on CF. But I don't do any paid photography.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
True barbarism confession: Ive never even used the Cf slot in my 5d3. I have Cf cards but they're small and slow as hell so I just never bothered.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If you are thinking of a 80D for paid work then a 7DmkII will make you v.happy even if it more than a bit long in the tooth these days.

7DmkIII when :sigh:

I think a crop sensor pro body is going to be my next upgrade from my 80D. It's a fantastic camera, but I could do with real weather sealing and higher frame rate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even the 80D isn't that young anymore, it just passed 3 years since announcement.

Update your crop bodies, Canon!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
It needs to be feature on par with the Nikon D500 that thing is amazing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Starting to think about what I want to do with this RP and a Yellowstone trip seems to be in the cards for .. well, some point this year.

How much reach do you really want/need for a trip like that? We'll probably make it back at some point, but it certainly would be a ways out in the future for a return trip and we'll want to make the most of it. Renting a 100-400 and an extender be about right? Or would that be overkill?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think you’d be ok with that for most wildlife. You probably won’t get full frame griz or wolves but that’s probably more than enough for the ungulates. I’ve only been there in the spring though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aim for the shoulder seasons if you're doing any of the major national parks. Yellowstone in the summer now is intolerable.

Wildlife loves to chill out alongside the road so you should get a chance to fill the frame real good under 400mm (at least until another tourist ruins it). Trees tend to press pretty close to the road too so long distance visibility is usually a bit limited.. the main exception is the valley in the NE parts of the park where the bison love to hang out and no lens exists that can reach across it.

So 100-400 should be able to cover just about everything you might see (hint: all bison. some deer, maybe a moose. no wolves. maybe a bear but the rangers will coalesce to keep people away from it).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

Aim for the shoulder seasons if you're doing any of the major national parks. Yellowstone in the summer now is intolerable.

Wildlife loves to chill out alongside the road so you should get a chance to fill the frame real good under 400mm (at least until another tourist ruins it). Trees tend to press pretty close to the road too so long distance visibility is usually a bit limited.. the main exception is the valley in the NE parts of the park where the bison love to hang out and no lens exists that can reach across it.

So 100-400 should be able to cover just about everything you might see (hint: all bison. some deer, maybe a moose. no wolves. maybe a bear but the rangers will coalesce to keep people away from it).
Would September-early October be good?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

ilkhan posted:

Once kids are in school (after Labor Day) it thins out noticeably, but don't avoid national parks just because they're crowded. 95% of park visitors never go more than 1/4 mile from the nearest road. Even at Yosemite you'll hardly see anyone once you're 5+ miles down a trail.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

IMO the later the better, Yellowstone turns into pure magic once there's snow.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

ilkhan posted:

Starting to think about what I want to do with this RP and a Yellowstone trip seems to be in the cards for .. well, some point this year.

How much reach do you really want/need for a trip like that? We'll probably make it back at some point, but it certainly would be a ways out in the future for a return trip and we'll want to make the most of it. Renting a 100-400 and an extender be about right? Or would that be overkill?

I have the 100-400 and the 1.4x III.

Read up to make sure you get the AF points you want with your body.

Also you are limited to f/8 with that combo so you'll be stuck in this annoying thing where you'll want to take the extender off most of the time because the lens without the 1.4x is f/5.6 and AF is really fast.

I only use it for real specific shot locations where I know i'm going to be in a hide or have really good light and the subject is going to be that annoying distance away.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just booked a Yellowstone trip for the last week in September. Going to be a tour guide for my dad and his friend so not 100% photo focused but I'm psyched to get there in the fall.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

xzzy posted:

IMO the later the better, Yellowstone turns into pure magic once there's snow.

Normal vehicle access isn't a guarantee during winter months. In fact, it would be safer to count against it.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

ilkhan posted:

I went in September a few years ago and it was great. Still crowded, especially at Old Faithful, but plenty of space off the beaten path. We also did Glacier that trip and the main pass got snowed in. The further past September you go the more you risk not being able to get to places you want to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seamonster posted:

Normal vehicle access isn't a guarantee during winter months. In fact, it would be safer to count against it.

Yep, it gets more fun as the snow builds up. Snowmobiles and vans with tank tracks. :v: