Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

He left this hiatus on the absolute worst cliffhanger hes done a hiatus on, I think, which makes it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Andrigaar posted:

I did a search for "berserk hiatus chart" and got something more informative than I was expecting:

https://i.imgur.com/bJlyXLl.png

I guess the 24 means that Young Animal releases 24 volumes a year, but I really have no idea.

Yes, Young Animal releases twice monthly. That is a surprisingly informative chart!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

333 to 334, the dark ages

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Still better than HxH.

I will die happy if either HxH or Berserk finish. I'm not stupid enough to hope for both.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Doesn't seem like Berserk Deluxe 1 is in stock anywhere in the UK :smith:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pnumoman posted:

Still better than HxH.

I will die happy if either HxH or Berserk finish. I'm not stupid enough to hope for both.

I think I'll probably expire before either of them finish, but at least with HxH the ant arc to me served as a satisfactory finale.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
We've followed the series all pretty closely and it's not like we can't see what ending is coming. It's more just wanting the closure. Miura finished a manga about luchadore Martian roaches he should finish his magnum opus. Unfortunately we got what we wished with the Dark Tower.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Berserk has had multiple arcs so its resolved itself many times. I think people are waiting for a climatic battle with Griffith but Guts has 2 showdowns with Griffith, pre and post Eclipse. Its matter of what you want the end to be. I'm satisfied with the story and whatever else comes is a bonus.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Even uncompleted I'd call Berserk one of the all-time best manga. The art is phenomenal, the characters are compelling, the world building is really interesting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I think there’s still a good bit of play in Berserk’s plot and would be sad if it never gets concluded. But it’s a good comic

temple posted:

Berserk has had multiple arcs so its resolved itself many times. I think people are waiting for a climatic battle with Griffith but Guts has 2 showdowns with Griffith, pre and post Eclipse. Its matter of what you want the end to be. I'm satisfied with the story and whatever else comes is a bonus.

Rule of three, he’s gotta take him on once more

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The Chimera Ant Arc felt like the creator having the worst personal melt down within the fiction of his own world and you can feel its sorrow. Just taking an otherwise fun and crazy world and going NOPE. EVERYTHING'S poo poo! PEOPLE ARE AWFUL, ANTS ARE HORRIBLE, BUT NUKES EXIST AND WAR BRINGS US ALL CLOSER TO THIS!

Berserk has had these moments, but they still felt like the original plan and continuation of the themes Mirua sought from the prototype on-wards.The Eclipse, the wars before and after it, the Apostles, what a little power can make people do from medieval church to literal sacrifice of humanity for some greater personal purpose. Its had horrible and bad themes from day one, but that was its point and intention.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I feel like that is one of Berserk's greatest strengths: it feels planned in almost every facet of its storytelling. The mayor exception is the first arc, of course, but ever since then, it's absolutely remarkable how clean and intentional the story is moving. Naturally, not everything can possibly have been planned the moment that the slug count showed up, but it just might be. With some leeway for less important henchmen and the like.
It's one thing for this to be a metal as gently caress story about gruesome slaughter and awesome demons and badass crazy weapons; it's another for such a fundamentally appealing premise to be meticulously crafted down to the very last details you did not even know you wanted. A story with a premise like this has no reason to be as fuckin sophisticated as it is.

I keep telling my dates that, yet they fail to recognize the genius of my DIN A3 panel printouts of the nightmare dick monsters jizzing on a teenage witch, I just don't get why

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Torquemadras posted:

I feel like that is one of Berserk's greatest strengths: it feels planned in almost every facet of its storytelling. The mayor exception is the first arc, of course, but ever since then, it's absolutely remarkable how clean and intentional the story is moving. Naturally, not everything can possibly have been planned the moment that the slug count showed up, but it just might be. With some leeway for less important henchmen and the like.
It's one thing for this to be a metal as gently caress story about gruesome slaughter and awesome demons and badass crazy weapons; it's another for such a fundamentally appealing premise to be meticulously crafted down to the very last details you did not even know you wanted. A story with a premise like this has no reason to be as fuckin sophisticated as it is.

One Piece is another one of those stories that feels unreasonably well planned. Though replace the grimdark with zany pirates, friends, and grit.

Torquemadras posted:

I keep telling my dates that, yet they fail to recognize the genius of my DIN A3 panel printouts of the nightmare dick monsters jizzing on a teenage witch, I just don't get why

:lol:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crabtree posted:

The Chimera Ant Arc felt like the creator having the worst personal melt down within the fiction of his own world and you can feel its sorrow. Just taking an otherwise fun and crazy world and going NOPE. EVERYTHING'S poo poo! PEOPLE ARE AWFUL, ANTS ARE HORRIBLE, BUT NUKES EXIST AND WAR BRINGS US ALL CLOSER TO THIS!

Eh I see where you're coming from, but I can't say I see the same way. While the tone of HxH's presentation changed, and changed like a lot, the foundation for the plot has always been not exactly light-hearted. Right from the start people die by the dozens/hundreds/get mutilated for rubbing someone the wrong way. People in HxH die a lot and gratuitously, and Hunters have pretty much license to kill on top of it. The first arc is presented as a fun and light-hearted adventure but if you just look at what is happening it's pretty much a bunch of horrible stuff. You have people dying, getting mutilated, a kid trained to be a murderer from birth being brainwashed/mind-controlled by an abusive brother, a guy who lost his entire family/clan to a mafia wanting vengeance, some people dying pretty horribly in a battle royale-esque environment, prisoners being forced into working there and dying because of that, and so on. And that's their most light-hearted whimsical fun adventure.

The chimera ant arc goes almost the other way around. The presentation is way more serious but the arc is about a bunch of animals and a psychotic person who believes his ant side is dominant learning his humane side and gradually changing from killing all humans to becoming a dictator where humans are food to letting humans live under his rule and at every second he's progressing and moving away from his basic instincts, to the point where Netero himself feels like if he doesn't finish his job as soon as possible, he could be swayed by the ant king. While everyone else throughout the manga is following the Shounen arc of getting power-ups and seeing power-creeps and fighting, the King starts at the top and gradually shifts his perspective to appreciating the things humans can do and the sorts of strengths in mankind that are outside the basic survival kill or be killed instinct. At the end he wants to protect a blind girl because he sees in her a very abstract form of strength and his entire arc is about seeing the value in what humans can do outside of violent acts.

Then we're back to Hisoka, a character introduced very early on who's always been an awful human being, and someone pretty much comments "oh I heard you wanted a good shounen fight and it seems you missed it, those ants were pretty powerful".

Elentor fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 3, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It is the arc where the protagonist sacrifices his potential power possibly forever to win a fight now. A bold and weird move that not even Berserk really does unless Guts could be even stronger than he is now somehow recovering his lost eye and arm.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

temple posted:

I'm waiting for the battle where he kills Griffith.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

At this point I think either Berserk is so well planned that Miura is sure he can finish and is out to make the art as great as possible since it’s his life’s work, or he’s indulging in hatching mania as a stalling tactic while he figures out how exactly to execute the story.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
He's stalled on healing Casca for a decade and now he's having panic attacks trying to think of how to properly close that story angle.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I choose to believe he’s drawing Casca and Guts kissing for 200 pages with uncomfortably high detail.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's finishing off his draft of an happy ending where the Gutsgang all live happily ever after and all get a turn at brutally murdering the poo poo out of Griffith.
Zodd also gets to live a good life though because he's a good boy too.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Pewdiepie posted:

I'm waiting for the battle where he kills Griffith.
Guts won't kill Griffith.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Honestly, I want Griffith to get his but I’m in love with the idea that Guts and Casca heal and move on while Griffith fucks everything up again with no Behelit to save him. Or same thing but he tries to pull guts in and dies at his hands.

This manga going from a real vicious revenge story to the story of characters healing from their trauma is my favorite thing.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I think Berserk is about learning hard lessons. Killing Griffith accomplishes nothing for Guts. Its a revenge fantasy by the readers but I think Guts wants to move on.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Either Guts or Casca will kill Griffith, but it will be remembered forever as a satanic act that doomed mankind to eternity of suffering.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I want the ending to involve Falconia more-or-less reverting back to the original form of the capital city, and Griffith to lose all his powers and become a mute, crippled beggar again, huddled in an alley with a clear view of the castle on the hill.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

griffith and guts should kiss

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I think there's zero chance of Guts and Griffith not fighting ever again, because an epic conclusion demands an epic showdown. No idea how they can get even close to equal footing, but we'll see. I assume magic bullshit will be involved. Someone may swing an absurdly huge sword.

But I also think Guts won't KILL Griffith, or their battle will be interrupted and never conclude. TheManSeries is right, Berserk as a story about healing is MUCH more powerful, and it's continously moved away from the revenge wish fulfillment. I believe Guts (and, hopefully, Kaska) will move on in some way. After stopping whatever final threat appears, I suppose, because DAMMIT this is dark action fantasy.

Nah, the only one who can take down Griffith is obviously Rickert :colbert:

Horrendously betrayed? Check. Griffith's defeat would be deliciously ironic? Check. Delivered the absolute best showing of utter contempt to the face of a living god? Check. Has loved ones to protect? Check. Is currently probably training to be a crazy techno ninja? CHECK.

Also, I'm cracking up at the idea of the superhuman demonic form of ambition being blown up by a fuckin bazooka

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Nalin posted:

He's stalled on healing Casca for a decade and now he's having panic attacks trying to think of how to properly close that story angle.

It's like drawing mandalas as therapy, but also results in awesome shading.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It seems to come down to Casca at this point. Guts losing Casca might cause him to rampage again, or he might disappear into the hills (and stumble on Rickert's hiding place). (I'll have to look back at the dream, "This is how she really sees Guts").

If the experience has made her stronger, she may decide to pick back up her sword. On the other hand, it's more boilerplate for them to decide they've had enough, Guts to get killed when Griffith invades, and Casca to then start up the rampage that ultimately skewers Griffith.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nalin posted:

eh, Miura's really good at writing and I'm sure he's known exactly how Casca's arc was going to go for at least over a decade.

he's just really slow at releasing chapters

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Imagine if Guts dies. Like, Guts just dies before the story ends, and the rest is Casca picking up the main protagonist mantle.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gently caress that

no giant sword, no read

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

U-DO Burger posted:

gently caress that

no giant sword, no read

Super buff Casca with the giant sword.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Put wind magic on the giant sword so it’s very easy to swing and maybe also let Casca surf on it????

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Berserker armor Casca can swing it

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I thought a new chapter finally released with all the unread comments gently caress life.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Otakufag posted:

I thought a new chapter finally released with all the unread comments gently caress life.

Berserk doesn't update, everything thing since they got on the boat is fanfic.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Before the end, that behelith guts is carrying around is getting used. It's a extremely horrible Checkovs gun. No idea who is going to use it, could be Guts, Puck or maybe even Casca. Maybe Guts will do it to gain the power to kill Griffith but that seems unlikely. Maybe Guts dies and Puck or Casca uses it to revive Guts somehow?

But whoever isn't using it is going to get sacrificed. Farnese, Serpico, Isidoro, Schierke they are pretty much guaranteed to be sacrificed, and it will be awful.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Captain_duck posted:

Before the end, that behelith guts is carrying around is getting used. It's a extremely horrible Checkovs gun. No idea who is going to use it, could be Guts, Puck or maybe even Casca. Maybe Guts will do it to gain the power to kill Griffith but that seems unlikely. Maybe Guts dies and Puck or Casca uses it to revive Guts somehow?

Is it bad that I find godhand Puck an amusing thought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can definitely see the focus of the series becoming Guts going on to put Griffith down out of a need to end all of the poo poo he's caused because both he and Casca feel they have a responsibility to because they're the two who truly know Griffith, rather than some rip roaring revenge.

And appropriately, Griffith's death won't be some sort of huge "gently caress yeah, finally killed that bitch, dragonslayer'd him vertically through the middle" and more Griffith dying a pathetic losers death that isn't especially satisfying for Guts or Casca, and maybe not even the reader in terms of cathartic feelings.