Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I just got out of an ARAM where I had two pentas, 28 kills, and over 1700 stacks as Nasus.

We lost.

Turns out Nasus can't do much against full-farm Miss Fortune/Twitch/Shaco/Malphite/Pyke. I can only blow up a champion every 4 seconds (two Qs was enough to kill anyone not named Malphite), even less than that if I'm being actively kited. Teemo, Soraka, Brand, and Tristana just folded immediately against Pyke/Shaco, and if I hung back to try to help them out Malphite would just ult onto us.

That was really frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Incidentally, Nasus is still the best champion in the game.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

iSurrender posted:

Did the previous patch (9.6) break attack-move on GP's barrels or did it happen earlier or is it just me?

I don't think it was working earlier

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My hot take is ARAM bans are making ARAM a lot more fun.

Also I got Dragon Sorceress Zyra for 410RP in my shop and I'm pretty happy with that.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/developer-corner/0Bt20UUK-aram-balance-update-thread

TLDR: Even more nerfs for poke, more buffs for melee champs.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Somehow it feels like ARAM bans make it more likely you run into cancer comps because people are banning real dumb poo poo like jax and darius instead of the actually broken ARAM champions. The other changes are good but I think bans on ARAM kinda defeat the entire purpose of ARAM.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

mistaya posted:

Somehow it feels like ARAM bans make it more likely you run into cancer comps because people are banning real dumb poo poo like jax and darius instead of the actually broken ARAM champions. The other changes are good but I think bans on ARAM kinda defeat the entire purpose of ARAM.

Every ARAM terror got banned in a game I was in yesterday except Brand and I pulled him. It was hilarious.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Somehow Lulu dodged all that. Thank goodness!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

mistaya posted:

Same, bans are dumb in ARAM. People are probably more hesitant to ban OP champs, because they hope they'll get to play the OP champ. So banning is even more strategic / pointless than in normal games.

Also Evelynn is strong in ARAM now, which really doesn't make much sense with how she's normally played.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Last time I played aram we had something like brand, sona, ziggs and a couple other good ap champs. Unfortunately we were against Ali, amumu, malph, galio so we knocked down 2 towers before they got enough MR and just initiated us to death

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

You don't have time to get enough MR anymore, if you lose the inhibitor you lose the ARAM. I'm really hating these changes yo.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

aram has a critical flaw which is that long aram games are the worst hell humanly imaginable and people quit playing league entirely if the stars align and it somehow happens

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I am unreasonably pleased when I get an Aram team that would also be a decent normal SR team.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Garen buffs :unsmith:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh no why did they do that.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
sona is so good in ARAM it feels like you have to really gently caress up to lose

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Healing is overpowered in general on ARAM. Which means the minute you see someone with a heal on the opposing team you should first buy something with grievous wounds.

But nobody does that so instead of teaching people about things already available Riot makes dumbass bans

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Eh, when you have champions with a 70% win rate something needs to be done. It isn't fun when you have win conditions like "did a team roll Ziggs and Sona?"

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Healing is so overpowered that it has something like a 50% nerf in ARAM and is still obnoxious

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Why don't you upgrade to a sunfire? Is it not cost efficient?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

duck trucker posted:

Healing is overpowered in general on ARAM. Which means the minute you see someone with a heal on the opposing team you should first buy something with grievous wounds.

But nobody does that so instead of teaching people about things already available Riot makes dumbass bans

You can cut Sona's heal but she's still gonna shield up to 5 people on a tiny cooldown

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

triforce/steraks no longer have synergy (and havent for like a year)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah the heal is not why Sona is OP on ARAM. If you're blowing all your mana on poo poo-tier heals when you could be q'ing fools to death early you are Sona'ing wrong.

I don't know, I've just played a lot of Sona and while she is obnoxious I don't think she's unbeatable. I just beat a team with her on it today and they had a good comp too so it was a real fun game because it was hard.

Like the thing about OP champs on ARAM is you are equally likely to get one as your opponent, and a lot of ARAM comes down to "someone rolled a champ they can play competently" more than "someone rolled an OP champ". I checked masteries all day while playing the new ARAM and most people had less than 3k mastery on the champ they rolled, including me for several games. The ones who got a champ they were good at hard carried regardless of the champ.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Silver 3 woo!!!
That match took 25 minutes longer than it needed to because nobody could seem to grasp "hey their nexus is open we can just walk in and kill it just let them HAVE BARON WHO CARES END THE GAME ALREADY" but eventually Vayne did and it ended :supaburn:

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Why don't you upgrade to a sunfire? Is it not cost efficient?

Midlane I find it helps with wave clear and durability against burst damage. Top lane it helps me proc phase rush. I usually sell it late game and buy a GA, lord dom's or whatever situation item is needed

Verviticus posted:

triforce/steraks no longer have synergy (and havent for like a year)

Yeah, I just like the item :3:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
triforce? or steraks? cause the latter is a really good item on garen but the former is pretty bad now

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

How so? Not saying you're wrong I'm just curious (and trying to learn & climb!)

I'll typically get to if the other team is squishier or if I'm going to be split pushing. I find the sheen process does wonders for melting towers.

If the other team is tanker or if our ADC is popping off I'll get cleaver typically

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Triforce owns on garen don't listen to him.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I played a bunch of ranked today after messing around now and then with mostly ARAMs for the past few months with some normals sprinkled in here and there, after a multi-year hiatus from this game.

Holy poo poo this game is nothing like what I remember it being back in 2012-2014. There is constant crying, wailing, and "gently caress it this game is over gg next" in every single game. What's disconcerting is that from what I can tell, they're actually right to throw tantrums and scream and cry because this game snowballs exceptionally quickly with very little wiggle room for being behind. If you die once in lane, you have to play very conservatively. If you die twice then it's a lost lane and you have to play as safe as possible while waiting to be carried.

The combination of no creep denying (meaning you have minimal lane control) and small maps means that trying to farm back into a lost lane is at absolute best a steep uphill trek. Even last-hitting as efficiently as possible to move the wave as little as you can still pushes it slowly up over time. This is exacerbated by how severe the level scaling is in League, with every single ability scaling pretty steeply with extra ranks in it. In other games in this genre, extra ranks typically add damage but not much more than that. In League, extra ranks mean shorter cooldowns, longer CC durations, higher ratio scaling. Falling behind even a level or so is a severe constraint on your ability to hold your own in an even fight in your lane.

The above (and there's a bunch more I haven't dug into really) leads players to just immediately give up, or start crying about giving up, the moment the team falls behind. It takes a strongly fed midlane or jungle to turn around a match where 1+ lanes are clearly losing, and that's a lot of effort that's seemingly better rewarded by just conceding and moving on to the next match, and the community is strongly reinforcing this feedback loop. I had a match earlier today where we were going more-or-less even with myself on Kindred. I was able to chain gank laners even though the enemy Udyr was controlling Herald/Dragon (unsurprisingly there was minimal response from my team to my requests to try to contest these objectives). Sometime around 20-25 minutes into the match, I flubbed my timing on an ultimate, leading to my Thresh/Jhin dying when I could've prevented it, and the bot lane duo immediately begins crying about "poo poo KINDRED, DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW TO ULT?" We went from a 18-to-16 fairly-even match to three lost teamfights in a row into a loss.

Back when I was playing this game regularly I was high Platinum, playing primarily ADC with an even split of initiator support (Leona, Thresh, Blitzcrank) / top (Nasus, Malphite, Fiora, Jax, Yorick) as my secondary role. It's looking like I'll barely be able to manage low Silver at this rate. I'm really not sure if I've just deteriorated that badly or if the game has changed so dramatically that I've been left behind. I still regularly stomp ARAMs (:woop:) when I get my favored roles, so I know my mechanics are still at least passable.

I don't mean to :qq: or anything really, I'm just surprised at how much the community/meta has changed, and how seemingly severely punishing it is to die a couple times in lane, to the point that the rest of your team will mentally quit on the game and it becoming a K2-tier challenge to get back into a game on your own. Opening 0-2 used to be "pretty bad, but manageable with a little bit of help", now it's "you will be constantly tower dived with little recourse while the rest of your team is moaning and begging for surrenders".

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Arabian Jesus posted:

How so? Not saying you're wrong I'm just curious (and trying to learn & climb!)

I'll typically get to if the other team is squishier or if I'm going to be split pushing. I find the sheen process does wonders for melting towers.

If the other team is tanker or if our ADC is popping off I'll get cleaver typically

there are a few approaches to this

1: you can look at something like leagueofgraphs and see that literally everyone builds cleaver on him now. the majority of people arent right 100% of the time, but they're usually a good barometer
2: go here https://na.op.gg/champion/garen/statistics/top and go to the bottom right where the highest winrate/highest ranked players are (i think there are other places to get this kind of info but i use op.gg) see:

https://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=riste

good players usually do the best thing. do they always? no (see this dude building tiamat on garen). if you intuited hail of blades tristana a week before it became popular or whatever, great work. if you've been doing something for two months and none or few of the best players ever do it? probably a mistake.

this dude does build TF more than never, at least

3: triforce has useless stats for garen (attack speed, mana) and you proc it, what, two times in a fight? yeah, you'll kill MF a bit faster with it or whatever, but cleaver is cheaper and stronger now. you obviously cant get both because they share a passive. garen ends up split-pushing, but hes not exactly a tower killer, wasting that much gold for two TF procs just isn't a good approach. furthermore, kindlegem is a way, way more useful item to build in lane than loving sheen or stinger, and it turns into other poo poo you might want, giving you flexibility

anyways, compile all that up and come to your own call. my verdict is: build bc unless you're just goofing off

SKULL.GIF posted:

stuff about toxicity

dunno man, maybe you were just younger and it didnt bother you as much, but in 2012-2014 it was pretty common to have people shouting non-stop slurs and saying poo poo like "go kill yourself". people gave up just as often, its just that "well gg" when youre down 0-2 was completely painless compared to the next 20 minutes of tantrums

SKULL.GIF posted:

Back when I was playing this game regularly I was high Platinum, playing primarily ADC with an even split of initiator support (Leona, Thresh, Blitzcrank) / top (Nasus, Malphite, Fiora, Jax, Yorick) as my secondary role. It's looking like I'll barely be able to manage low Silver at this rate. I'm really not sure if I've just deteriorated that badly or if the game has changed so dramatically that I've been left behind.

everyone is way way way better than they were back then. if you took your plat self and dropped into today you'd still be a silver player. hell, i was d1 in s3 and theres no way im getting d1 now

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 7, 2019

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Yeah the level of skill has gone up a lot. People are more experienced, there's more resources where they can learn from better players etc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also creep denying is a terrible mechanic because Dota 2 loving sucks.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its weird to hear that snowballing is so bad now if your last experience was back from when there was literal actual nothing you could do to come back from a snowball.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

triforce is fine on garen but only get it if there are no bruisers or tanks to shred up. gives more burst and makes him really good at taking towers.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Verviticus posted:

dunno man, maybe you were just younger and it didnt bother you as much, but in 2012-2014 it was pretty common to have people shouting non-stop slurs and saying poo poo like "go kill yourself". people gave up just as often, its just that "well gg" when youre down 0-2 was completely painless compared to the next 20 minutes of tantrums

I have a thick skin, it doesn't bug me. What stands out to me is how hair-trigger it is nowadays. In the past you had to go like 0-4-0 before the screaming began, nowadays ganking mid whenever you feel like it will get the mid laner to sit under tower and moan about how you didn't respect their cooldown on Flash for three paragraphs and how this ruined the match.

njsykora posted:

Also creep denying is a terrible mechanic because Dota 2 loving sucks.

That doesn't logically follow, I don't play Dota 2, and I'm not interested in a moba pissing match. The lack of creep denying means farming a lane while behind means periodically you'll have to just go sit and do nothing (or farm the jungle/mid lane if they're untouched, if the players won't cry about you doing that) while waiting for the lane to reset back into safer territory.

Verviticus posted:

everyone is way way way better than they were back then. if you took your plat self and dropped into today you'd still be a silver player. hell, i was d1 in s3 and theres no way im getting d1 now

Yeah, I'm being matched with people who have literal thousands of games played on a single champion. Maybe this game just isn't for me anymore.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

In the past you had to go like 0-4-0 before the screaming began

Man I wish I was playing whatever version of league you were playing back then because that is 100% not how I remember it.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Good post on Garen

All of that makes sense. Thanks for the effort post; appreciate it :)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Welp finally got back to gold after so long if I get put back in silver do I get the end of season skin?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Eve is good in Aram due to her free passive healing and free engage after level 6. Her Q is good for snagging assist gold and farming.

Nothing really overpowered but all just solid stuff. Like Brand and company are way better but she's not a bad pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think lanes are decided a lot more quickly (one lost fight is often a permanently lost lane, especially if the enemy starts taking tower plates off it.) Comebacks still happen, hell I just won a game where we were 2/12 in the first 15 mins but the enemy team eventually couldn't deal with our Rammus/Leona combo and surrendered 20 mins later. Sometimes you get people who just immediately GG out if they see one lost lane but I don't think it's any more common now than it was.

Also yes, mid-silver now is basically high gold from a few years ago, even low ranked people know what wards are and poo poo now it's weird.

Invalid Validation posted:

Welp finally got back to gold after so long if I get put back in silver do I get the end of season skin?

No you have to be Gold at the end of the season but it's exceptionally difficult to get dropped a tier so if you're playing as well as you did to get into gold then you should drop out of it unless you troll yourself back to silver.