Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
8:45 made me think of:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Somfin posted:

A better, richer idiot who makes your sales team break out the champagne, then immediately uses minor parts of your system to a far greater capacity than they were ever meant to accommodate and demands that they be made to work perfectly to the exclusion of all other development work

Ok I was too rude, this is also very very correct.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A null check isn't hard. Count the number of item slots and use that as the divider. If there is no item add zero. Or have a placeholder item that represents "no item equipped" that always returns zero when you're adding up an average power level. That sort of thing is actually stupidly easy.

No point in doing an average unless you expect the denominator to change. Otherwise just add the total of all your slots, done.

Knackered
Jul 29, 2006

Article detailing exactly what went wrong with Anthem.
https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

It's long but well worth a read. Its development was basically a mess, with EA moving core resources off the team, then forcing them to use a proprietary engine that's known to be a pile of poo poo. If "Dragon Age 4" suffers the same fate then I'd say that's then end of Bioware. Another victim of EA.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Knackered posted:

It's long but well worth a read. Its development was basically a mess, with EA moving core resources off the team, then forcing them to use a proprietary engine that's known to be a pile of poo poo. If "Dragon Age 4" suffers the same fate then I'd say that's then end of Bioware. Another victim of EA.

I have no idea how you can read that article and come away with the impression that Anthem was somehow anyone's fault but BioWare's. The people in charge regularly ignored glaring issues that were brought up and insisted that things would be okay in the face of damning evidence to the contrary. Did EA contribute? Sure, mostly with Frostbite. But BioWare's attitude and direction for the project was a complete and total shitshow that kept Anthem from even reaching preprod for way too long.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Also they'll be reusing the codebase for Dragon Age 4.
Which could easily mean they intend to shove the online/multiplayer only, who gives a poo poo about story or choices, style of gameplay into DA4.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

Did EA contribute? Sure, mostly with Frostbite.
Frostbite is the engine of Dragon Age: Inquisition and Mass Effect: Andromeda as well, so they can't even excuse it with being unfamiliar with the engine. They're not, they put out two full games running on it. Inquisition was kind of good, even, and certainly didn't suffer from any glaring engine issues that I noticed either of the two times I played it. There is absolutely no excuse for loving up this badly, not even Electronic Arts meddling with the development - and ain't that a thing you don't get to say often.

Cardiovorax has a new favorite as of 12:29 on Apr 3, 2019

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Cardiovorax posted:

Frostbite is the engine of Dragon Age: Inquisition and Mass Effect: Andromeda as well, so they can't even excuse it with being unfamiliar with the engine.

Andromeda and Anthem started production at the same time, and Anthem supposedly couldn't use much of anything from Inquisition's development due to Anthem's online nature, which meant they had to make a ton of stuff from scratch. And tech support for Frostbite was limited because RPGs don't make nearly as much money as sports games and Battlefield. Yeah there were a lot of management issues from Bioware itself and from EA but technical problems were a huge contributor

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The impression I get from that article is that Bioware could be developing in Unreal Engine 11 with “game good” filters applied to everything and it still wouldn’t matter because their leadership and company culture are dogshit.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Farecoal posted:

Andromeda and Anthem started production at the same time, and Anthem supposedly couldn't use much of anything from Inquisition's development due to Anthem's online nature, which meant they had to make a ton of stuff from scratch.
Seriously? Okay, I think I'll have to revise my opinion there a little. Andromeda has some major engine issues, not the least of which is the hilariously uncanny-valley facial animation stuff, so I can see where you're coming from. I don't think this kind of thing would have happened if they had used a different engine or even just not had to split their attention across projects like they did. Bioware did do a decent job with in in Inquisition, so I'm thinking that bad development planning and an inability to deal with the two projects at the same time probably had a lot to with it.

quote:

The impression I get from that article is that Bioware could be developing in Unreal Engine 11 with “game good” filters applied to everything and it still wouldn’t matter because their leadership and company culture are dogshit.
Yeah, welcome to modern software development. There's a reason I skipped out on the industry and decided to go back to college.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, welcome to modern software development. There's a reason I skipped out on the industry and decided to go back to college.

Bioware posted a blog, apparently in response to that article, or more accurately- what they thought the article was going to be about (since they hadn't seen it before posting), defending their company culture, etc. but reading that article and knowing a few game devs personally, their company culture pretty much sounds like par for the course across the industry. I do fintech development and was pondering a move into games, but I'm WAY too old for 80 hour / week crunch times at this point in my life.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

HaB posted:

Bioware posted a blog, apparently in response to that article, or more accurately- what they thought the article was going to be about (since they hadn't seen it before posting), defending their company culture, etc. but reading that article and knowing a few game devs personally, their company culture pretty much sounds like par for the course across the industry. I do fintech development and was pondering a move into games, but I'm WAY too old for 80 hour / week crunch times at this point in my life.
You've probably heard of SAP, then. I watched one too many of my coworkers walk off into stress-induced psychiatric treatment and decided "you know what, let's pre-empt that and do something else." Best decision I ever made.

Do they still make you work with Fortran? That was still a thing when I made my degree, haha.

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009

Knackered posted:

Turns out this article was even more accurate than we thought.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

quote:

Historical characters will no longer attempt to marry characters that have not yet been born.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-118-great-works-patchnotes.1163658/

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I also enjoyed:

quote:

In the events surrounding a loved one's death, you will no longer be expected to grief and bond together with characters who are in prison.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

- England no longer end up as the tributary of Gwynedd in the 12th century.

From the perspective of 2019, I'm not convinced that reversing this was the right decision.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

HaB posted:

I had to explain to a couple of interviewers why, despite making games in my spare time sometimes, I don't even bother applying to game dev jobs. It's simple really; I don't want to work for beans 80 hours a week in places with a high cost of living. From what I've read developers are vacating the industry like crazy because they can make twice the money for half the hours in places with a quarter the cost of living. Most of the skills transfer over and the core skill for programming is raw math and logic anyway no matter what you're programming. Not game dev has a bottomless appetite for competent developers while game dev has increasingly ended up running on fresh graduates with few responsibilities going OH MY GOD I CAN MAKE GAMES FOR A LIVING OH WOW THIS IS SOOO COOOOOOOL. Then a few years in they realize it sucks and they can have a much better, less stressful, but more boring life literally anywhere else.

But instead of thinking hey maybe we could change this the mainstream industry is still nonstop death marches for garbage salaries. I think that's part of why indie games are on the rise and new ones keep going viral. They're actually good and part of that is because they probably aren't made by a stressed out 22 year old being forced to work 90 hours a week.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I had to explain to a couple of interviewers why, despite making games in my spare time sometimes, I don't even bother applying to game dev jobs. It's simple really; I don't want to work for beans 80 hours a week in places with a high cost of living. From what I've read developers are vacating the industry like crazy because they can make twice the money for half the hours in places with a quarter the cost of living. Most of the skills transfer over and the core skill for programming is raw math and logic anyway no matter what you're programming. Not game dev has a bottomless appetite for competent developers while game dev has increasingly ended up running on fresh graduates with few responsibilities going OH MY GOD I CAN MAKE GAMES FOR A LIVING OH WOW THIS IS SOOO COOOOOOOL. Then a few years in they realize it sucks and they can have a much better, less stressful, but more boring life literally anywhere else.

But instead of thinking hey maybe we could change this the mainstream industry is still nonstop death marches for garbage salaries. I think that's part of why indie games are on the rise and new ones keep going viral. They're actually good and part of that is because they probably aren't made by a stressed out 22 year old being forced to work 90 hours a week.

Games are weird. I remember brand new AAA games being like $60 in the late 90s. And they are still about $60 now. The games today are usually made with a much bigger staff, better art, and just generally better production values. (Only the manuals are much, much worse than they were back in the day.)

I guess the relatively low inflation can partly be explained by higher sales volume, and they probably save a bundle not including cool printed manuals anymore, but some of it is on the backs of employee mistreatment.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does anyone have a link to that slide where it calls autistic developers "unicorns" that companies hang onto at all costs bc they have no social lives and thus can be worked to death (their sentiments not mine)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

Games are weird. I remember brand new AAA games being like $60 in the late 90s. And they are still about $60 now. The games today are usually made with a much bigger staff, better art, and just generally better production values. (Only the manuals are much, much worse than they were back in the day.)

I guess the relatively low inflation can partly be explained by higher sales volume, and they probably save a bundle not including cool printed manuals anymore, but some of it is on the backs of employee mistreatment.

Artists are far cheaper than programmers and tend to be specialized to things specific to game art if they're game art devs. But yeah it's really weird that the cost of a game hasn't kept up with inflation. Then again this is also a time when two guys in a garage can make a game that goes viral and makes a few million.

I think that a lot of the budget of AAA games is also in marketing, community engagement whatever the gently caress that is, and advertising. Even so you can get a horde of artists on the cheap but programmers are expensive if you want good ones so you have really pretty games that are so broken they are only technically playable coming out on the reg. But yeah selling games increasingly digitally has reduce the cost of actually producing copies. Physical distribution will probably vanish before too long.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Artists are far cheaper than programmers and tend to be specialized to things specific to game art if they're game art devs. But yeah it's really weird that the cost of a game hasn't kept up with inflation. Then again this is also a time when two guys in a garage can make a game that goes viral and makes a few million.

Also you aren't getting the full game for $60 anymore

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

The industry has always been garbage to it's employees I think it's a mix of profit margins being razor thin and cutting production costs everywhere they can. A lot of those AAA games need to move a million+ in the first week to make money. Activision dumped Bungie over disappointing sales figures on a game that sold a couple million copies. Cartridge manufacturing was also a huge portion of the cost of making a game in the NES era and now basically costs nothing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Regular Nintendo posted:

Does anyone have a link to that slide where it calls autistic developers "unicorns" that companies hang onto at all costs bc they have no social lives and thus can be worked to death (their sentiments not mine)

I'm not surprised to hear this exists, I feel like I've faced similar in my own work with a software developer, I'm the only one that my boss has actually gotten mad about not working overtime; my work gets done, he just hates that I don't work late to do it. I always put it to me being the only person in the team without a family ('what do you have to leave at 5pm for, you don't have children'), but now that you've mentioned I can easily imagine that he's frustrated that the person he hired on the spectrum doesn't work like they expect them to.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Apr 5, 2019

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

rodbeard posted:

The industry has always been garbage to it's employees I think it's a mix of profit margins being razor thin and cutting production costs everywhere they can. A lot of those AAA games need to move a million+ in the first week to make money. Activision dumped Bungie over disappointing sales figures on a game that sold a couple million copies. Cartridge manufacturing was also a huge portion of the cost of making a game in the NES era and now basically costs nothing.

And all the other 'industry is awful' sentiments -

Having worked in the industry: It's pretty terrible.

The sole exception is indie studios with that exceedingly rare luxury of working at a more comfortable pace - but not left to their own devices to flounder and never produce anything viable - not bent to the whim of a suit that has no interest save a bottom line.

What is really often overlooked - and is touched on by posters prior - is that a massive amount of drive here on part of the developers is a passion for the work. It's an opportunity to do something you live and breathe and love, so you bow under the whip far more readily than you might otherwise. It usually takes a few years, but at some point most devs (speaking here especially for artists) will come to a bit of a crossroads and have to decide: do I want to be flayed alive working on something I still ...kinda? ...love doing but I'm not sure anymore - or do I find something else.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Games are weird. I remember brand new AAA games being like $60 in the late 90s. And they are still about $60 now.

This is a weird take for me, since where I'm from, the price of a AAA game has risen by literally 100% since I started buying games in the late 90s, and that's before you account for special editions and DLC.

And also because games are apparently selling here for the same number of moneys as the US, despite the exchange rate being vastly different.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

This never fails to make me laugh holy poo poo

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Yeah, it is pretty cool how game prices have basically remained static for 20 years. And taking into account inflation and whatnot, they've actually gone down semi-significantly, to the tune of almost 50%. And now with digital distribution and big seasonal sales and such, the price of gaming is waaaaaaay down. Part of the reason piracy has really declined I guess.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TheMaskedUgly posted:

This is a weird take for me, since where I'm from, the price of a AAA game has risen by literally 100% since I started buying games in the late 90s, and that's before you account for special editions and DLC.

And also because games are apparently selling here for the same number of moneys as the US, despite the exchange rate being vastly different.
Nice humblebrag about living somewhere with real wage growth for middle and lower classes.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Facebook Aunt posted:

I believe some part is also due to the explosion of game engines and other middleware. It used to be that you had to cook your own to make games, but now you can just take an engine and start putting in assets, scripting and animations. The increased efficiency in game creation has been offset by increasing expectations on the number and quality of game assets, but like ToxicSlurpee said, artists are cheaper than coders.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
here it is https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/04/alex-st-johns-ideas-about-game-development-are-terrifying/

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

quote:

St. John's answer to those criticisms was that developers today have developed a "culture of victimology and a bad attitude toward their chosen vocations". "Somehow, these people have managed to adopt a wage-slave attitude toward one of the most remarkable and privileged careers in the world," he continued.

whole article is full of this poo poo. What an unethical prick.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is it a remarkable and privileged career? Sure, in most cases. Does that mean the people in that career are not allowed to complain when their employers act like poo poo? gently caress no. You don't get carte blanche to be an rear end in a top hat just because you're paying your employees a lot of money.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
big words from the founder of wildtangent, a company whose preinstalled bloatware has been immediately removed from millions of laptops worldwide

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
St John was invited to speak at my university's graduation ceremony. All he did was ramble about how programming isn't actual work and you can totally put in 80 hour weeks to a room full of computer science grads.

Pretty sure no one applauded.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Is he the one where his daughter wrote a reply like "my dad is a piece of poo poo, I have literally disowned him, and nobody should listen to him"?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is it a remarkable and privileged career? Sure, in most cases. Does that mean the people in that career are not allowed to complain when their employers act like poo poo? gently caress no. You don't get carte blanche to be an rear end in a top hat just because you're paying your employees a lot of money.

they're paying their employees less money than they'd make using the same skillset as a software developer

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jeza posted:

Yeah, it is pretty cool how game prices have basically remained static for 20 years. And taking into account inflation and whatnot, they've actually gone down semi-significantly, to the tune of almost 50%. And now with digital distribution and big seasonal sales and such, the price of gaming is waaaaaaay down. Part of the reason piracy has really declined I guess.

Piracy of games is down because things like Steam and GOG make it stupidly easy to get the game. Steam even applies updates for you. More importantly it doesn't come with any viruses or anything. Downloading something from a torrent can be kind of a crapshoot. It might also not even be a recent version or what the file says on the tin. Who the gently caress knows? Of course there are big companies trying to gently caress it up to increase their profits but so far Steam and GOG have so far proven immovably solid. They're massively convenient and they just work.

Compare that to streaming of TV shows and movies where every loving company wants to have their own service and stuff appears and vanishes on the main ones so often you have no clue what's even available at any given moment. No way in hell you'll pay for a subscription to all of them especially when you don't even know if you'll be able to watch what you want to see at any random moment. Then sometimes stuff will just plain not be available anywhere for streaming even if it's popular. Piracy of that stuff is up massively last I heard specifically because it can be so difficult to find legitimately people get frustrated, give up, and roll the dice with torrents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ffffffffffuck, that last bullet point is me, but not for programming. gently caress. Like, I did exactly that poo poo, just I don't program. gently caress, I need to turn my life around.