Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
She isn't a Moffat Mystery. The whole point of Season 7b is that the Doctor is loving up by treating her as a puzzle instead of a person, and there's no mystery at all in her years with Capaldi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I remember watching the first Capaldi episode and iirc it ends with a mysterious lady (Missy) saying cryptic ominous season arc nonsense which I think was also off-putting. Like, one problem solved, now it's onto the next one.

I think maybe I just don't like Steven Moffat

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There's no seasonal puzzle boxes in Capaldi. There's some misdirection but it's all about character motivations and development. If you think there's a puzzle box or a cosmic threat, you're not watching carefully.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I do think she is presented as a mystery in season 7B and I think it made it harder to get to know who she was. I agree with some of what Doctor What and 2house2fly say, but it's still hard to develop a character's personality in an episodic format when a lot of the focus is on the Doctor trying to figure out why she's alive as different people. Some of her personality comes through in Rings of Akhaten, but then there are terrible episodes like Journey to the Center of the TARDIS that spend so much time on the question at hand, there's no room for her to grow.

That being said, I think season 8 and 9 actually made her one of the better developed companions on the show, and Jenna Coleman does a good job of carrying out the character arc. We see Clara herself grow as a person in a lot of different ways and at least to me, the growth feels organic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

There's no seasonal puzzle boxes in Capaldi. There's some misdirection but it's all about character motivations and development. If you think there's a puzzle box or a cosmic threat, you're not watching carefully.

I think it's both... like a hybrid.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What, you're being obtuse man.

She was 100% treated as a Puzzlebox Mystery Woman.

it doesn't help that she also had NO consistent character in her first (half) season. Season 8 pulled it back and made her a real person with a personal life and stuff and they then dumped that in season 9 where I don't think they even pay lip service to the fact that she was a teacher or what happened with Danny or anything really, mostly because the season was too caught up on twisting itself around the ultimate non twist that was never a twist at all.

The Hybrid poo poo was a nadir of self referential bullshit and I don't care if that was the point, that still meant we had to sit through a bunch of self referential bullshit.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

There is definitely a cosmic threat in Season 9.

It's the Doctor

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I think the argument that you're not really supposed to want to find out what Clara's deal is is undermined by it being the climax of an entire season-end special.

It'd be kind of interesting if ultimately they just agreed it doesn't matter and never found out.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

it doesn't help that she also had NO consistent character in her first (half) season. Season 8 pulled it back and made her a real person with a personal life and stuff and they then dumped that in season 9 where I don't think they even pay lip service to the fact that she was a teacher or what happened with Danny or anything really, mostly because the season was too caught up on twisting itself around the ultimate non twist that was never a twist at all.

I actually think they do a pretty good of transitioning her out of her grief into a new life in season 9.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I actually think they do a pretty good of transitioning her out of her grief into a new life in season 9.

It's more

So my complaint there is more a broad "Clara has no real grounding as a person, beyond season 8"

We get to meet her family once in Time of the Doctor, but that's treated so much like a gag and barely given any set up. The way she talked about her family in 7, I had always assumed they were dead and she was alone

And then after that brief moment of meeting them, they're gone.

I think one of them shows up again to console her over Danny?

Clara just doesn't have anything to really ground her especially in season 9. And I guess that was intentional, given how her story goes, don't want people to go 'so why is she abandoning her life' but that's how it goes. Its not something I agree with for companions- we already have the Doctor as the dude abandoning his life and running away from their problems. Let her shoulder that.

Companions work best when they remind the Doctor why she travels and helps where he can. When they have a Jackie or a Brian.

But by 9 they were dead set on making Clara 'Also The Doctor' so whatever.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’m pretty sure Clara was made to be super-special so the 50th anniversary didn’t feature an ordinary companion.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It should have had all the companions get together to give the Doctor their energy so he could spirit bomb the Daleks

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Harlock posted:

It should have had all the companions get together to give the Doctor their energy so he could spirit bomb the Daleks

that was Time of the Doctor

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

UNCLE TERRY SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT!

https://twitter.com/pipmadeley/status/1113498155293847553

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Burkion posted:

that was Time of the Doctor

Don't remind me about Time of the Doctor.

The 50th Anniversary got me back into the show after a while of being away, and TotD nearly pulled me out of it again because of the sheer clusterfuck way the story was cobbled together.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The plot was pretty hastily assembled, which was a shame because the last 15 minutes was solid gold, and it started well with some great jokes ("ding dong!")

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

2house2fly posted:

The plot was pretty hastily assembled, which was a shame because the last 15 minutes was solid gold, and it started well with some great jokes ("ding dong!")

"Love from Gallifrey, boys!" :haw:

And I love the triumphant 'THE GODS HAVE ARRIVED' sting of the Gallifrey theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AxCoMbiZfk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I absolutely adore the Daleks, right in the middle of their gleeful boasting, going,"THE DOCTOR IS REGENERATING! :gonk:" because they FINALLY thought they had the Doctor and now he's pulling some bullshit last second stuff AGAIN!?! :argh:

The_Doctor posted:

And I love the triumphant 'THE GODS HAVE ARRIVED' sting of the Gallifrey theme.

I think it's probably the most effective use of the Time Lords as deus ex machina, unfathomably powerful beings since their initial appearance in The War Games, where they are pants-shittingly terrifying in their casual use of power.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Burkion posted:

What, you're being obtuse man.

She was 100% treated as a Puzzlebox Mystery Woman.

The Hybrid poo poo was a nadir of self referential bullshit and I don't care if that was the point, that still meant we had to sit through a bunch of self referential bullshit.

I ended up losing the Hybrid story and not quite sure what happened. There was a hybrid, then they named who they were, and then it wasn't them or was it because all, yeah I got lost in that one - expected something big and it just kind of disappeared. At least it didn't outstay its welcome like the silence

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jerusalem posted:

I absolutely adore the Daleks, right in the middle of their gleeful boasting, going,"THE DOCTOR IS REGENERATING! :gonk:" because they FINALLY thought they had the Doctor and now he's pulling some bullshit last second stuff AGAIN!?! :argh:

I love that bit because it uses the Daleks as basically lore fanboys. They tell the Doctor they know what the rules are and they know how the plot is going to go, and then he reduces them to screaming "NOT CANON. NOT CANOOOOON."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Asylum of the Daleks had a neat bit where they grabbed Amy and Rory not because they had any use for them, but because they need the Doctor to do something and the Doctor always has companions so they guess that has something to do with something... right? So they bundle them together and aim them at the problem. I love that they really don't understand the concept of friendship, but only see things in terms of their functional use.

It also has this lovely exchange:

Dalek Prime Minister: Does it surprise you, Doctor, to learn that the Daleks have a concept of beauty. :smug:
music plays over loudspeaker
Dalek Prime Minister: WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS NOISE!?!?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm watching Inferno. Really it's a cautionary tale about the importance of strong health and safety procedures.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Here's a story from an old Doctor Who Annual. Obviously the writer didn't know much about the characters or continuity, since it's the Fourth Doctor, K-9, and Adric (who somehow knows a lot about space empires). Also K-9 straight up murders the villain. Anyway:

Now some information:

• Plague World: the annuals were released by World Publishing

• The planet Publius: sounds like publisher

• Bemar, the evil leader: the editor was MAE BRoadley

• The oppressed citizens Stylo and Auctor: auctor means author and stylo relates to writing

• The evil masterminds the Druden: a druden foot is another name for a pentagram, and World was owned by a company called Pentos

I'm not sure if the musician Kidson is a reference to anything but I wouldn't be surprised.

One wonders what things were like at World for writer Clive Hopwood.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 4, 2019

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
One small detail I like about the Doctor breaking the rules of regeneration is that the clock strikes fourteen, not twelve.

Given the whole episode was about Eleven finally accepting Handy and War, and what that entails, it’s a nice touch.

Also, you can’t have a Christmas special without this sort of fun romp. You just can’t.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Should've had a different Clara for each ep, and as the eps progress the version in that ep begins to remember more and more about the Doctor because of his interactions with her other selves.

Kind of like Scaroth and his splinters in City of Death.

This would have been the bomb. Although I imagine in a few years there will be upteenzillion Clara box sets for BF exploring the many, many lives of Clara with every Doctor so we'll see something like that.

One interesting counterpoint to Clara is River. Now River is basically the same thing as Clara--an Ur-Companion created solely to love (and kill) the Doctor. But the thing is she was never introduced that way--we instead saw her at the end of her time with the Doctor, "older" and wiser than him, competent at both her profession and in being a time travelling adventurer. She seemed to have a full life and personality, and the mystery box stuff was only brought in later.

Of course the offscreen explanation is that (most likely but not definitely) Moffat had no idea who she was going to be, that there would be companions who bang in the TARDIS and have a time babby with a Time Head and that he would be showrunner and be able to do all that. But I say not definitely because this is a guy who wrote a story about the Doctor in a giant library like 20 years ago and probably had most of his "if I was in charge" poo poo mapped out since the 90s...

Still though, it works out much better that River's Super Specialness wasn't laid out til later.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

TinTower posted:

Also, you can’t have a Christmas special without this sort of fun romp. You just can’t.
For real. Who wants poems in a Christmas cracker?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Nardole with the Game of Thrones spoilers!

https://twitter.com/RealMattLucas/status/1113581685956857856

https://twitter.com/MichelleGomez/status/1113556416105603073

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 4, 2019

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
James Dreyfus is doing the "trans people in bathrooms and changerooms are a danger to everyone else!!" thing on Twitter again the same loving day the story about a trans girl having her head stomped in with a boot despite being segregated into her own facilities came out.

I don't care if Big Finish recorded his appearance in the Early Adventures a couple of years ago before he started on this bullshit, I obviously don't expect them to shelve something they've already got ready for release, but the fact that they were pally with him while announcing it last month and are using his presence to promote it without saying anything about this hateful bullshit means I'm done with them and seriously side-eyeing everyone else that keeps lapping it up

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

James Dreyfus is doing the "trans people in bathrooms and changerooms are a danger to everyone else!!" thing on Twitter again the same loving day the story about a trans girl having her head stomped in with a boot despite being segregated into her own facilities came out.

I don't care if Big Finish recorded his appearance in the Early Adventures a couple of years ago before he started on this bullshit, I obviously don't expect them to shelve something they've already got ready for release, but the fact that they were pally with him while announcing it last month and are using his presence to promote it without saying anything about this hateful bullshit means I'm done with them and seriously side-eyeing everyone else that keeps lapping it up

For all the good it'll do...I reached out with another email to them asking them to positively affirm that they won't be employing him ever again

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I don't know who James Dreyfus is or what he did but transphobia's not cool

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

corn in the bible posted:

I don't know who James Dreyfus is or what he did but transphobia's not cool

He was a nobody actor who played a campy gay roommate in a middling sitcom named after an ABBA song two decades ago, who is now enjoying a second life partially as Big Finish's First Master in ranges like the First Doctor Adventures and Early Adventures, and as a Transphobic Twitter Twat™ like Gammon Linehan

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Action Jacktion posted:

Here's a story from an old Doctor Who Annual. Obviously the writer didn't know much about the characters or continuity, since it's the Fourth Doctor, K-9, and Adric (who somehow knows a lot about space empires). Also K-9 straight up murders the villain.

Funnily enough, this happens in classic Who too. In Nightmare of Eden K-9 straight up ices a guard with a laser beam. I don't think he's even an evil guard, he's just in K-9's way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I assume Michelle Gomez's live is basically full of moments like this :)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I assume Michelle Gomez's live is basically full of moments like this :)

I can't tell if that's Jack Davenport she's holding the door for or not, but if it is, that's the kind of :love: I want.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

what all of them

all of them

beevers, ainley, and delgado too

that's a lot of masters for one doctor

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

and then she flies away with the wind like a deranged mary poppins as the limo explodes

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

what all of them

all of them

beevers, ainley, and delgado too

that's a lot of masters for one doctor

It's also missing the MacQueen Master.

Hello, you

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah it really feels like the MacQueen Master got shelved when Big Finish started regularly getting Gomez, Roberts, and Jacobi :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I listened to The 8th Of March, big finish's box set for Women's Day. It was a mixed bag--River and Leela was good (and a rare team-up, which is nice), Ace and Benny was nice enough, Paternoster Gang was terrible, UNIT was OK. If their goal in putting in a Paternoster audio here was to sell people on the upcoming series then that is a hell of a miscalculation cause it's super bad