Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

My lorax has started wetting his bed, two days in a row now. Anyone got any tips? We're really making sure he goes on the toilet before going to bed but that doesn't seem to help. What I'm contemplating is simply waking him up when I wake up and take him to the bathroom, then let him go back to sleep for an hour.

How old?

We've just accepted that our 4-year old will have accidents and bought a mattress cover and some incontinence pads. If he has an accident, no big deal, just swap out the sheets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

baquerd posted:

I don't think oat/almond/rice milk has much potential to cause digestive issues because I think only animal milk has lactose and the proteins kids can get intolerance to unless it's added.

Be careful with rice milk, that's not for babies anymore due to contains too much arsenic. (See also my previous post.)

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2016/05/19/Arsenic051916

The American Academy of Pediatrics posted:

Avoid processed foods containing brown rice sweetener, and do not use rice milk instead of cow’s milk.
(My emphasis.)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Be careful with rice milk, that's not for babies anymore due to contains too much arsenic. (See also my previous post.)

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2016/05/19/Arsenic051916

(My emphasis.)

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I'm glad we just do almond milk for milk alternatives.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've always said I will sad when the world tries to crush my 6 year old's unique spirit. He definitely walks to the beat of his own drum and I love that about him. He came home from track out camp today and was upset because some of the kids were laughing and picking on him because of his shirt. Its a Wreck it Ralph shirt with Ralph, Vanellope and KnowsMore. They were teasing him for having a girl on his shirt.

It lead to a good conversation at least.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It's an interesting dynamic. Those kids teasing him definitely learned it from either an older sibling or lovely parents. My 4 year old son still loves pink so he showed up to soccer with pink cleats, socks and ball. I know he will catch flack for it but gently caress it, it's good to learn to face lovely people sometimes

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My first kid didn't really go to preschool so he never got exposed to teasing for his clothes or style or whatever. My second kid only went to preschool for a year before kindergarten, but I started to hear her talk about things being for boys or girls more in kindergarten. My youngest son has been in preschool for 2 years now, and has a few more months before public school, and he has been the worst about gender stuff and teasing the other kids for their clothes choices and stuff.

It's a clear correlation, and I even heard stuff come from the preschool teachers about my son's hair being too long and looking like a girl. It's really frustrating to hear societal stereotypes being pushed in these little kids, and we do our best to counter these ideas at home. People suck sometimes. The best we can do is give the kids tools to deal with it gracefully. Not that they do, but a parent can dream!

As for bedwetting, I have no great ideas. We make sure all the kids use the bathroom before bed, but our oldest still has regular accidents. He's 8, uses a wet alarm at night, and even after months of using it his he still wets the bed on occasion. We may be looking at a serious medical condition, I really hate to go that far. The pediatrician recommended the wet alarm, so I guess we go back and ask about a potential next step.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Fool posted:

How old?

We've just accepted that our 4-year old will have accidents and bought a mattress cover and some incontinence pads. If he has an accident, no big deal, just swap out the sheets.

5.5 years, also last night it happened in day care, while he was awake.

This morning I woke him when I get up (5:50am) and took him to the bathroom before letting him sleep another hour.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Could he have a UTI?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
He's not complaining about anything like that, and he's wet the bed half a dozen times this year vs zero times for his twin brother so it's been going on for a while. The last few days have been more intense though.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

VorpalBunny posted:

My first kid didn't really go to preschool so he never got exposed to teasing for his clothes or style or whatever. My second kid only went to preschool for a year before kindergarten, but I started to hear her talk about things being for boys or girls more in kindergarten. My youngest son has been in preschool for 2 years now, and has a few more months before public school, and he has been the worst about gender stuff and teasing the other kids for their clothes choices and stuff.

It's a clear correlation, and I even heard stuff come from the preschool teachers about my son's hair being too long and looking like a girl. It's really frustrating to hear societal stereotypes being pushed in these little kids, and we do our best to counter these ideas at home. People suck sometimes. The best we can do is give the kids tools to deal with it gracefully. Not that they do, but a parent can dream!

He's been in daycare since he was 8 months old so he's use to dealing with other kids. He's also the type of kid that if I let him he'd probably wear pink sparkly unicorn t shirts (as well as his more "boyish" spider-man shirts) Its hard to balance letting him do him but also not put him in a situation.

We told had a talk with him about how both me and my husband had our clothes made fun of as kids and how it doesn't matter what other people think blah blah blah. We also talked about empathy and how he should never make fun of people (he never has!) because he knows how it feels and what should he do if he sees it happening to another kid.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

That is rough. I was bullied as a kid for myriad reasons, sometimes what I wore or whatever. I don’t remember why I was a target other than kids homed in on me being sensitive and it making me mad.

Unnecessary anecdote time:
For me my parents had that whole talk about what other kids say not mattering, and it didn’t sink in for me because I was so sensitive and had a real patriarchal man’s man father who grew up poor, oldest of three boys to a single mom and didn’t know their dad, and was scrappy in his youth because he had to be to defend his younger brothers (one mentally ill). So, most of his advice centered around physically defending myself but never starting fights, never backing down if a fight was going to happen. That’s tough advice for a sub-10yr old kid to have to put into action, and I did, but I also got so pissed at off certain ones (the worst ones, older than me but on same bus) that I tried to hit them on numerous occasions which only made it worse. I often got in trouble for starting fights in elementary and middle school and sent to ISS a lot, and back in the 90s that was poo poo that teachers didn’t see me dealing with—all they saw was the fighting. As a plus many of those kids didn’t mess with me anymore, aside from those bigger kids who only doubled down after kicking my rear end in a fight they were surely trying to get me to start.

So I don’t know that kids at a certain age will really understand the whole “it doesn’t matter what they say” conversation because that doesn’t stop the bullying, and for me at least, I just wanted it to stop. A better conversation is indeed “you see how much it stinks to be bullied about what you wear or do or say, so don’t become one of those bullies to fit in, and stick up for kids you see getting bullied.” That has stuck with me all my life and bullies don’t stop existing at adulthood, they just learn to do it under the radar at work and other places. But, bullied kids grow into adults who can handle it better emotionally, and by and large a lot of kids won’t remember how much they bullied others when they grow up. Many kids who bullied me and did remember it, sought me out in Facebook years ago specifically to apologize.

Anyway, there are healthy ways to deal with bullying and there are healthy ways for kids that young to understand on top of that. I’m not saying not to have that talk with them about how it doesn’t matter what people say (even though to lots of kids who deal with it, it does matter), because it depends on the kid, but I am saying that teaching them to stick up for others, not just bullied kids but kids who are not as well off, marginalized groups, etc., can be a positive thing for a kid to take away and can give them a purpose, so to speak—something to focus on besides the bullying they’re experiencing.

I’m no expert at this, by disclaimer. I don’t yet have a kid that age, all I know is from my experiences being bullied and what I did and didn’t take away from what my parents taught me about coping with it. They were awful experiences for me that I still remember vividly to this day, so I totally understand the question of, “how do I help my kid deal with this poo poo in a positive way without teaching them to fight everyone who says a cross word to them?”

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I was telling my husband its too bad I don't have any super girly shirts or he could wear one tomorrow to pick up.

FYI for people with jogging strollers: https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...e0cd_story.html

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Thanks for this article. I'm not in the market for a while (I've got a fresh kid incoming in a month or two) but I have heard so many glowing reviews for BOB and this definitely gives me pause.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

marchantia posted:

Thanks for this article. I'm not in the market for a while (I've got a fresh kid incoming in a month or two) but I have heard so many glowing reviews for BOB and this definitely gives me pause.

We had a BOB and replaced it a Thule Chariot.

Both have the quick release front tire that is mentioned in the article. Most running strollers do, afaik. I'm not sure what would have been different in the BOB design to cause problems, those quick release tires have been around for a long time on bicycles.

That being said, Britax handled the situation poorly, and you obviously can't trust CPS anymore.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Fool posted:

I'm not sure what would have been different in the BOB design to cause problems, those quick release tires have been around for a long time on bicycles.

Apparently poor engineering on that particular design. Most bike wheels don't fall off either, still the article mentions over a dozen bike models have been recalled for the same problem.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Fool posted:

We had a BOB and replaced it a Thule Chariot.

Both have the quick release front tire that is mentioned in the article. Most running strollers do, afaik. I'm not sure what would have been different in the BOB design to cause problems, those quick release tires have been around for a long time on bicycles.

That being said, Britax handled the situation poorly, and you obviously can't trust CPS anymore.

I wonder if the forks on the joggers have lawyer tabs on them like bikes now have to in most countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_end#Lawyer_lips

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Checking in, wife is 22 weeks along with boy/girl twins. First kids 😱

Just got a Thule Chariot double from my parents

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

nwin posted:

I wonder if the forks on the joggers have lawyer tabs on them like bikes now have to in most countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_end#Lawyer_lips

I have a 2016 BOB revolution and I guess their "fix" was to remove the drop-outs, because the front wheel isn't what I'd think of as a quick release wheel. You have to thread the skewer through the fork/wheel to put the wheel on, but it still has a quick release lever on the skewer so you don't need tools to take it off, which is nice because that thing isn't fitting in a standard trunk with the wheel on. Although things designed to carry babies should probably be held to higher safety standards than things designed to carry sweaty people in the woods, I think it's somewhat user error if your wheel falls off because you didn't tighten the quick release down enough. Anyway, can't imagine how the wheel would randomly come off with the current design.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

bomb posted:

Just got a Thule Chariot double from my parents

Oh god twins.. crazy. Wishing you the best!

My wife is 19 weeks along with our second.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

bomb posted:

Sorry if this is an offensive question, but I always wonder about fraternal twins like this - did you conceive via IVF? Or are you guys genetically inclined for twins?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

Sorry if this is an offensive question, but I always wonder about fraternal twins like this - did you conceive via IVF? Or are you guys genetically inclined for twins?

IVF, although my wife’s family has lots of twins.

Also no offense taken at all, I’m surprised there is such a stigma around talking about IVF and miscarriages.

We did a couple IUIs that ended up not taking or ending in miscarriage. IVF solved the problem (genetic factor) that was filtered out in the genetic testing process.

If we had kept going down IUI we would’ve ended up miscarrying over and over. Out of the 20 embryos we created only 3 were considered “good” enough for implantation.

Yay science.

bomb fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 4, 2019

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

bomb posted:

Also no offense taken at all, I’m surprised there is such a stigma around talking about IVF and miscarriages.

I wonder what the normal rate of fraternal twins was before IVF took off. Thanks for responding, it fascinates me. My friend did IVF for her two sons, one was all their genetic material and the other was a donated egg and her husband's sperm. She described the viable embryos and making the choice on gender and stuff, it certainly is interesting. I can't imagine what y'all went through. My other friend had a long hard IVF road which eventually resulted in a pregnancy, then miscarriage as she entered early menopause. They eventually adopted from a foreign country.

I was reading an article this morning about Hilaria Baldwin, I guess she was pregnant and started suffering a miscarriage and was posting on social media about it. She explained her candidness in the best of times only mattered if she showed the tough stuff too. I guess one positive in this age of social media is people being willing to talk about abortion and miscarriages and IVF and periods and all the stuff that comes with a woman's reproductive system.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
In NZ only one embryo is transferred unless the maternal age >35 and there are other co-factors that decrease the chance of a single embryo sticking; so while we get a lot of people assuming twins are from IVF it's not really that common in practice here. My son is an IVF baby and I was only given the option of a single embryo transfer. I do agree the wariness to talk about it has eased in recent years - I've never hidden the fact we needed intervention. In fact it was bloody useful because it let me perfectly time my pregnancy to allow me the most time off with my son when he was born.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Tamarillo posted:

In NZ only one embryo is transferred unless the maternal age >35 and there are other co-factors that decrease the chance of a single embryo sticking; so while we get a lot of people assuming twins are from IVF it's not really that common in practice here. My son is an IVF baby and I was only given the option of a single embryo transfer. I do agree the wariness to talk about it has eased in recent years - I've never hidden the fact we needed intervention. In fact it was bloody useful because it let me perfectly time my pregnancy to allow me the most time off with my son when he was born.

We were given the option of 1, 2, or even 3. Our friends just had Triplets from putting in 2 which is nuts. 2 identical girls and a third girl.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Strangest part about miscarriage is once you start talking to people about it you start to realize it’s happened to most parents you know.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

bomb posted:

We were given the option of 1, 2, or even 3. Our friends just had Triplets from putting in 2 which is nuts. 2 identical girls and a third girl.

That third girls life is going to suck a bit.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

bomb posted:

Strangest part about miscarriage is once you start talking to people about it you start to realize it’s happened to most parents you know.

Yah, we've got four kids (one at a time, thank the fates, a 40 on the curb for all twin parents) but my wife has been pregnant six times. The vast majority of miscarriages are quite early in the pregnancy (like, both of my wife's were in the first few weeks) and most of them aren't really a big medical issue but the emotional toll might be heavier than you'd think beforehand. It is one of those things that an awful lot of people are just dealing quietly with.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I agree the "stigma" of needing fertility treatment is deteriorating, as society becomes more progressive and more and more people actually need it, due to waiting until later in life before having babies. Having said that, IVF is stressful, expensive and for the woman very invasive. From that standpoint I'm not surprised people don't want to talk much about it if they are undergoing it, especially if they've yet to have success. On the other hand, my company owns a drug which is used during IVF to increase the chances of pregnancy occurring, and when I meet people for whom it has worked they are normally delighted to talk about it, especially if they think the drug made a difference. They are just so grateful and happy to finally have a family, and I'm always so happy for them too. :3:

On another note, my kids went out to play on the trampoline last night just before bed. It was about 6.45pm and maybe 7 degrees Celsius outside. After chatting to my wife about something I look out the window and my eldest (7.5 years old) has completely stripped and is naked! She's always been a hot bod and prone to removing clothing, especially at night, as a result, and OK she was jumping on a trampoline, but this was outside in the evening on a not particularly warm day and her younger brother didn't feel the need. She's a nutter.

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord
I have b/g twins and get asked if it was IVF alllll the time. It wasn't, but since we're two moms nobody is satisfied with a simple "no". Looong conversation about IVF vs insemination, how does it work, is it likelier to result in twins etc. Eventually it gets to the point when they realize they've asked a question where the answer is going to involve my cervix, feel super awkward, but don't know how to politely eject themselves from the conversation. They just wanted to know why we had twins lol.

I don't mind talking about it (probably a good thing or I'd spend a lot of time being angry). But if I meet another twin mom I either don't ask at all (because who cares really) or I ask something like "was it unexpected". Lets people talk about it if they want, or not.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Some quick googling says the rate of twins naturally is 1/250 births. That's not THAT uncommon. I assume that when people tended to have more kids you saw more sets of twins in families. For instance: My mom's mom had one set of twins, but she also had 10 kids. Nobody else in the family has had twins, but the most any descendants have had is 3 kids. Most of the maternal descendants have had 2 kids.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

bomb posted:

Good luck! I’m thankful we had our twin boys after our girl because we weren’t overwhelmed with keeping them alive, just everything else involved with managing two of everything. I’m sure your wife is on it, but look on Facebook in your area, there’s probably a “moms of multiples” group. We’ve picked up some good deals from that.

Set up as much support as you can. Our in-laws and my mom were awesome and traded off nights sleeping in the guest room down the hall with the door open.

Most importantly, support each other. It’s another level entirely with twins and it has definitely stretched and grown our marriage.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Alterian posted:

Some quick googling says the rate of twins naturally is 1/250 births. That's not THAT uncommon. I assume that when people tended to have more kids you saw more sets of twins in families. For instance: My mom's mom had one set of twins, but she also had 10 kids. Nobody else in the family has had twins, but the most any descendants have had is 3 kids. Most of the maternal descendants have had 2 kids.

Ovulation is less stable as you age, so more waiting longer to have kids means more women are super ovulating means more fraternal twins naturally too.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

devmd01 posted:

Set up as much support as you can.

Make sure it's good support, preferably from people who have recent experience helping out new parents...

Shortly after we had our kid, I had to travel a bunch for work. At one point I added it up and in the first 4-5 months of my daughter's life, I was gone for about 1 month total (not all at the same time, a week here and there). I was able to take 4 weeks off work after the birth (3 whopping days of paternity + burning all my vacation time + some unpaid time, lol America), then after 1 week of being back in the office I had to hit the road on and off for a while.

My in-laws (her parents) came up to help once or twice while I was out of town, and all they really did was sit around, watch TV, and criticize my wife in everything she did. I mean, I think they helped keep my wife fed, and maybe once they did A Chore, but that's really about it. The worst was that she had low supply (not like clinically low, but she never had excess) and our daughter had colic, so her parents were always aggressively pushing her to use some super-expensive formula. Reason being is that my wife had colic as a baby, and that super-expensive formula was the "magic thing" that made it stop (it probably wasn't).

It was extremely stressful for her (and me too of course), and even though it's been well over a year I still hate myself for leaving her alone so much.

Wow, sorry for all the E/N bullshit, but the moral of the story is don't be afraid to tell people to gently caress off if they aren't actually helping you.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

Make sure it's good support, preferably from people who have recent experience helping out new parents...

Shortly after we had our kid, I had to travel a bunch for work. At one point I added it up and in the first 4-5 months of my daughter's life, I was gone for about 1 month total (not all at the same time, a week here and there). I was able to take 4 weeks off work after the birth (3 whopping days of paternity + burning all my vacation time + some unpaid time, lol America), then after 1 week of being back in the office I had to hit the road on and off for a while.

My in-laws (her parents) came up to help once or twice while I was out of town, and all they really did was sit around, watch TV, and criticize my wife in everything she did. I mean, I think they helped keep my wife fed, and maybe once they did A Chore, but that's really about it. The worst was that she had low supply (not like clinically low, but she never had excess) and our daughter had colic, so her parents were always aggressively pushing her to use some super-expensive formula. Reason being is that my wife had colic as a baby, and that super-expensive formula was the "magic thing" that made it stop (it probably wasn't).

It was extremely stressful for her (and me too of course), and even though it's been well over a year I still hate myself for leaving her alone so much.

Wow, sorry for all the E/N bullshit, but the moral of the story is don't be afraid to tell people to gently caress off if they aren't actually helping you.

Both of our parents live a couple hours away, thankfully we both have good leave policies so the plan is to just chill the first 3 months or so. My Sister-in-law is a special ed teacher for a grade school and she's going to come stay with us for a few weeks and trade off with my mom. In-laws are dealing with cancer treatment at the moment so we will see how things go with all of that.

We are definitely considering an au pair at this point, we live in a desirable area and have a separate unit for them to stay in.

It's going to be interesting.

bomb fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 5, 2019

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Alterian posted:

Edit: My 7 month old is sleeping super lovely right now too. Its driving me crazy. He wakes up every hour or two hours and cries and then goes back to sleep eventually after being comforted. Its literal torture to not get to sleep for longer than an hour or two all night long. This is also the week my husband is doing his 9am - 8pm class-a-thon for his doctorate.

So I think I might have solved the mystery of this. I think he had some sort of gastroenteritis. My elder son came down with it the week after and now I have it. My baby's diapers are hard to diagnose stomach problems with his milk allergy. He's always had sorta not good diapers even on his expensive formula. He wasn't in the mood to eat that much that week either. Now that I'm suffering and he's 100% better and drinking his formula at normal levels, he's suddenly interested in other foods and his diapers have been better than they've been in a long time!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

nwin posted:

Our 5-month-old son is switching poo poo up on us once again.

First he sleeps through the night which is great. Then he was taking two 30-45 minute naps and then a third nap which would range 30 minutes to 2 hours.

All of a sudden over the past two days he only does two 30-45 minute naps and that’s it.

He’ll wake in the morning and eat and is usually awake for two hours before his first nap, then the same thing happens where he’s awake another two hours, but now he’ll stay up for 4-5 hours before going down for the night.

It’s frustrating because we’ve been found the Ferber method which works great but for the third nap we just give up because he’s wide awake and screaming even after doing the method for 30/45 minutes.

Help? I’ve heard babies transition to two naps but didn’t think it would be this soon.

Ours (4 months 10 days) is like this though the two naps have been getting longer in the last 3 or so days.

i don't think there's any rhyme or reason to it, as long as he's a happy boy then the naps don't matter. The only tip I can offer that has helped in the last 3 days big time in terms of ease of getting to sleep + length of sleep; try unwrapping your boy and leaving his arms free. I know that runs contrary to most advice!

We were using swaddles and wraps and he was sleeping like poo poo. We transitioned to arms out because the ones we had were warmer now it's getting cold at night and he started sleeping better. We swapped back after a few hot days - back to sleeping like poo poo. Swapped back again, aaand he's asleep in his bed in his room while I write this.

My little post; it's 8:30 on a sunday and this weekend was the first that felt...normal. It's hard, and there's always unexpected stuff, but it just feels...normal now, I guess. It was a good weekend. As opposed to the entire third month, which was like hell on earth 2019

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Yikes. My 12 month old has at least 3 molars that have erupted over the past few days and I can see the whites of two canines that are about to bust through. I feel bad for her, but at least she's getting them over with quickly.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

laxbro posted:

Yikes. My 12 month old has at least 3 molars that have erupted over the past few days and I can see the whites of two canines that are about to bust through. I feel bad for her, but at least she's getting them over with quickly.

Our 1 year old is doing the same thing. His experience has been really inconsistent one molar erupted without us knowing about it until it was out, but now another one is giving him a really hard time.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Cross post from the pregnancy thread, AAP urges recall of Fisher Price rock n plays.

I know the crowd here generally has older kiddies, but I think a couple of expectant parents have been popping in as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The Consumer Reports report has a picture, in case anyone wasn't sure if they had one or not.