Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brony Car posted:

I hear about Corbyn's anti-semitism quite frequently, but I live in New York.

EDIT: Apparently there was a really nasty mural he defended?
There was a mural that, looking at a thumbnail of it, looked like a general take on "white imperialists and capitalists gently caress over PoC" with some all seeing eye/masonic conspiracy theory stuff on it.

The full sized version looked a bit antisemitic though, with lots of big noses on the elites, but there were no swastikas or kippot or Stars of David or general antisemitic unsubtleties, and BAME people often caricature white people with ridiculous noses, so Corbyn defended it.

Then the artist came out and said "no it is actually about Jews, they're evil and rule the world" and it was a bad look for Corbyn.

e: 1996 - It didn't come home and also the trains got privatized.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Then the artist came out and said "no it is actually about Jews, they're evil and rule the world" and it was a bad look for Corbyn.

Huh? At the time a Jewish critic of Corbyn decrying the mural as anti-Semitic was called to task for asking the artist about it previously and being told "huh? no it's just meant to be white people" and accepting that at face value from the artist but not from Corbyn.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Farage is literally the only MEP I've ever seen speak in a media rabble, all you need to do if you win is thank everyone who campaigned for you at 2:30am in a town hall and from then on just issue written comms if you don't feel like taking part in a debate and prod a computer screen in Belgium to vote

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Huh? At the time a Jewish critic of Corbyn decrying the mural as anti-Semitic was called to task for asking the artist about it previously and being told "huh? no it's just meant to be white people" and accepting that at face value from the artist but not from Corbyn.
I thought he later did say "it was totally about Jews though"?

(The artist, not Corbyn)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I recently got a letter from the local Tory association (who currently control our council) saying "TELL US HOW WE CAN MAKE [my village] EVEN BETTER". I wrote HANG ALL TORIES on it in red marker, popped it in the return envelope and sent it back to them. Serious question - can I get in trouble for this? My dad is very insistent that I can.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1113330301760151552

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Julio Cruz posted:

lol no surprise they're giving this out in loving Shoreditch

But it's not vegan though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sanford posted:

I recently got a letter from the local Tory association (who currently control our council) saying "TELL US HOW WE CAN MAKE [my village] EVEN BETTER". I wrote HANG ALL TORIES on it in red marker, popped it in the return envelope and sent it back to them. Serious question - can I get in trouble for this? My dad is very insistent that I can.

Would have to ask thread lawyers but as long as you claim it's an opinion you're probably able to Jeremy Clarkson your way out of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sanford posted:

I mean it probably counts as a threat or something.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Sanford posted:

You should absolutely now sign up to be a Labour MEP

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

France have demanded "credible political backing" to justify an extension.

Honestly I'd pay so much for a live stream of May in her constituency.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanford posted:

Tories aren't a protected group afaik.

Guavanaut posted:

I thought he later did say "it was totally about Jews though"?

(The artist, not Corbyn)
Wait, no. That was someone else paraphrasing the artist as "a mural depicting Jewish bankers playing Monopoly on the backs of the poor."

The artist himself said it depicted "the elite banker cartel known as the Rothschilds, Rockefellers, Morgans, the ruling class elite few, the Wizards of Oz." and further confirmed that only two of the figures there were Jewish.

So via a game of telephone it's gone from "randomly selected ultrarich people, 33% of which so depicted happen to be Jewish" to "I, the artist, am a huge antisemite."

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I've got holiday booked for the interview days so I'm definitely tempted to apply for the Labour (ukmt) list.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I really need to check if my Labour membership is still active, I’d give being an MEP a go. The hard-left Illuminati isn’t going to start itself.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jose posted:

on the one hand i'm unemployed and it pays incredibly well on the other i absolutely hate any public speaking and i'd presumably have to do some

Yeah but public speaking in this case just means 'poo poo-talking Farage to anyone who will listen'.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

France have demanded "credible political backing" to justify an extension.

"no deal is going to gently caress you badly jupiter and your people are still rioting"

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
had a tweet end up in the daily mail once about how david cameron would make a wonderful corpse so i feel like i'm obliged to run

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Go gently caress yourself and the horse you rode in on Piers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Nuclear Spoon posted:

had a tweet end up in the daily mail once about how david cameron would make a wonderful corpse so i feel like i'm obliged to run

nothing beats the poster who had his twitter account called Tebbits Cum Face wiht a photo of him being evacuated after the bombing getting the only like ever from camerons official twitter account while PM

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Piers being a dick is one thing, but the writing with the brass section to get everyone on side with "piers is fat" is a very subtle way to frame the issue as one of physical reality and that's just hosed through and through.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Brony Car posted:

I hear about Corbyn's anti-semitism quite frequently, but I live in New York.

EDIT: Apparently there was a really nasty mural he defended?

he pressed 'like' on a picture of evil hook-nosed bankers on facebook. when confronted with this being antisemittic he asked 'why?'. upon having it explained he accepted it and unliked it iirc

like, it's not a great look but it's very much old man bad at social media stuff

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
FYI the MEP application form asks the following questions:

quote:

Why you should be the candidate for the constituency in question:

What do we need to do to win this election:

Your Labour Party experience:

Other life experience, including work and study:

What makes you a great campaigner:

Give some examples of your communication skills:

Describe the particular skills you have which will help you as an elected representative (for example, in problem solving):

Give examples of Interpersonal, teamwork & liaison skills:

So shut-in goons need not apply

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
Brexit or get off the toilet Britain.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

FYI the MEP application form asks the following questions:

So shut-in goons need not apply

I mean I can definitely make it sound like I fit the bill, but I don't feel I have the experience to actually do the job, and a definitely don't have the campaigning chops to satisfy the local org.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

V. Illych L. posted:

he pressed 'like' on a picture of evil hook-nosed bankers on facebook. when confronted with this being antisemittic he asked 'why?'. upon having it explained he accepted it and unliked it

like, it's not a great look but it's very much old man bad at social media stuff
He did more than just like it, he commented in support of it and compared complaints against it to the time that Rockefeller ordered a mural painted over because it contained Lenin.

Which is interesting because Rockefeller was one of the people in the London mural. And very not Jewish. Which undermines whichever opinion columnist poo poo twisted the artists statement into "evil Jewish bankers".

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Guavanaut posted:

He did more than just like it, he commented in support of it and compared complaints against it to the time that Rockefeller ordered a mural painted over because it contained Lenin.

Which is interesting because Rockefeller was one of the people in the London mural. And very not Jewish. Which undermines whichever opinion columnist poo poo twisted the artists statement into "evil Jewish bankers".

ok then i misremembered

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Labour were also asking for Police and Crime Commissioner candidates recently which are pretty well-paid and you might get to destroy the plod from inside (or at least try to ensure some of them get held to account for their lovely behaviour)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly I'd pay so much for a live stream of May in her constituency.

:confused:

woman stares angrily into space

:munch:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Labour were also asking for Police and Crime Commissioner candidates recently which are pretty well-paid and you might get to destroy the plod from inside (or at least try to ensure some of them get held to account for their lovely behaviour)

i feel like if they found my numerous ACAB and the only good cop is a dead cop post it'd probably exclude me from the job

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Not entirely accurate - the artist said his mural was being taken down, and Corbyn responded with "why are they taking it down?" before comparing it to the mural of Lenin

he was more interested in the reason than the picture

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Are you currently a well connected Spad or unite full time officer?

If the answer is no I don't think you're going to be a labour mep. Some stuff has changed but in a lot of respects how this stuff works remains as it always was.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jose posted:

i feel like if they found my numerous ACAB and the only good cop is a dead cop post it'd probably exclude me from the job

Stand as an independent on a strictly ACAB platform

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

A friend of mine wrote "I HAVE KILLED AND WILL KILL AGAIN" on his ballot slip one time without realising they can identify you if they need to and he never heard anything, so I won't worry too much about my (100% genuine) suggestion that we HANG ALL TORIES.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:confused:

woman stares angrily into space

:munch:

yes but while doing this she has a constituent in front of her going "Theresa? Theresa? Are you listening?! I'm trying to talk about the state of the council. THERESA?!"

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Dejawesp posted:

Brexit or get off the toilet Britain.

timetodie
Apr 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Tesseraction posted:

that's already happening here d/t austerity

Not to the extent it is happening in Venezuela.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

timetodie posted:

Not to the extent it is happening in Venezuela.

Give it time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

V. Illych L. posted:

ok then i misremembered
I misremembered the artists' statement too. Turns out that enough people said that it was about Jews that it became about Jews, even though the artist just rattled off the names of the capitalists and imperialists depicted, two of which happened to be Jewish.

Media narrative building is a hell of a drug.

Tesseraction posted:

Not entirely accurate - the artist said his mural was being taken down, and Corbyn responded with "why are they taking it down?" before comparing it to the mural of Lenin

he was more interested in the reason than the picture
The 'good company' bit does imply that he endorsed the artist, but it turns out that neither the mural nor the artist were antisemitic until the media wanted them to be. :shrug:

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

give it no-deal brexit lol