Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was expecting something very different.
That ones coming next year when you buy Switch+, the new Labo set and the XBX2 DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1114143460754382848?s=19

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I don't see 2019 Nintendo putting out a product with a high chance of making people, especially children, nauseous. I'm not sure how they'll accomplish this, but it'd fly in the face of their obsessive attention to detail if they didn't.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BoTW won't be disorienting, it will be like watching a 3d movie.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Their solution appears to be treating it like a stereopticon. A neat curio, but the quality of the VR is going to ensure it doesn't move past that.

Unless like, they boost the screen resolution and framerate on Switch pro

Edit: $40 isn't bad all things considered, I'll probably give it a try

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 5, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ItBreathes posted:

I don't see 2019 Nintendo putting out a product with a high chance of making people, especially children, nauseous. I'm not sure how they'll accomplish this, but it'd fly in the face of their obsessive attention to detail if they didn't.

They managed okay when they did it in 1995 :v:.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I bet some injection molding facility in China is pumping out plastic Switch VR headsets with straps as we speak

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
*puts Tim and Eric on Hulu and drops switch into labo headset before gluing to face*

AAAAAAHHHHHHHUU
AAAAAAAAGGHHHH
HELP
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I bought a Vive on day one. VR is the new 3D TV. The fad will die in a couple years, it's arguably dead already. Don't waste your money.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ColdPie posted:

I bought a Vive on day one. VR is the new 3D TV. The fad will die in a couple years, it's arguably dead already. Don't waste your money.

This is nowhere even near the truth for a multitude of reasons.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ColdPie posted:

Ah yes, the fad that is *checks notes* readily being adopted by various industries for training and design purposes, has companies pouring millions into research and development to improve it, and in a few months is going to have several hotly-anticipated new consumer headsets from two major companies release, including one headset that is a standalone console with PCVR titles on it. Nevermind that VR headset purchases have steadily been increasing over time rather than plateauing.

Truly, a dead industry.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ColdPie posted:

I played a coworkers Vive, and while it was definitely cool, even second hand I kept thinking about how all this clunky stuff is $1000 on top of the badass rig you need to push it. Also you need to have a spare room that you're okay turning into a holodeck.

VR is cool and has loads of potential, but there are still (literally) too many strings attached for me to want to buy in.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I love my PSVR but its too bulky. If they can make the whole process easier with less bullshit and wires I would use it more.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE loving MOON posted:

I played a coworkers Vive, and while it was definitely cool, even second hand I kept thinking about how all this clunky stuff is $1000 on top of the badass rig you need to push it. Also you need to have a spare room that you're okay turning into a holodeck.

VR is cool and has loads of potential, but there are still (literally) too many strings attached for me to want to buy in.

Over There posted:

I love my PSVR but its too bulky. If they can make the whole process easier with less bullshit and wires I would use it more.

Go take a look at the upcoming Oculus Quest.

Also in general you don't have to go full roomscale with VR. Just about every game made has a Sitting mode that'll adjust your height to account for being in a chair if you really want to. Even a Standing setup doesn't have to mean a full massive roomscale setup either, if you just want to look around at stuff.

You just gotta remember the golden rule; Respect your Chaperone Boundaries :gibs:.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Consumers will sacrifice quality for convenience. LABO and the new headset-only Oculus are the only viable VR products, and BotW is the fourth good VR game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

THE loving MOON posted:

That's what is great about the Switch one. It's like $40, there's no real strings attached(literally no wires), you already have a switch. It's gonna be blurrier and there won't be as much of it but it's a really low cost of entry for what I am guessing are going to be some really fun experiences

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go take a look at the upcoming Oculus Quest.

Also in general you don't have to go full roomscale with VR. Just about every game made has a Sitting mode that'll adjust your height to account for being in a chair if you really want to. Even a Standing setup doesn't have to mean a full massive roomscale setup either, if you just want to look around at stuff.

You just gotta remember the golden rule; Respect your Chaperone Boundaries :gibs:.

Yeah that looks more like it.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

THE loving MOON posted:

*puts Tim and Eric on Hulu and drops switch into labo headset before gluing to face*

AAAAAAHHHHHHHUU
AAAAAAAAGGHHHH
HELP
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Look, they're e-bumping!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

First person vr smash when

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Reggie's final lie was claiming Nintendo wasn't interested in VR when the Switch actually launched with a VR title.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That's what is great about the Switch one. It's like $40, there's no real strings attached(literally no wires), you already have a switch. It's gonna be blurrier and there won't be as much of it but it's a really low cost of entry for what I am guessing are going to be some really fun experiences

This is my view, I'm 100% certain I can squeeze $40 of value out of Labo VR, especially if they add support for other games

edit: I'll look at quest, but I'm skeptical of any headset that doesn't just work with Steam. Occulus is still doing the walled garden thing right?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah yes, the fad that is *checks notes* readily being adopted by various industries for training and design purposes, has companies pouring millions into research and development to improve it, and in a few months is going to have several hotly-anticipated new consumer headsets from two major companies release, including one headset that is a standalone console with PCVR titles on it. Nevermind that VR headset purchases have steadily been increasing over time rather than plateauing.

Truly, a dead industry.

I could be wrong. I've definitely been wrong in the past. But this just smells exactly like 3d tvs. It's cumbersome, expensive, and impractical, and doesn't really add much more than a gimmick. There's nothing you can do in VR that you can't do about as well on a flat display, without hundreds of dollars of gear and a big sweaty pair of goggles on your face. VR's been around for years and there has really not been a killer app. Once the gimmick wears off, the headsets collect dust. I was really excited by the marketing hype, hence the Vive purchase, but was really let down by the software and haven't seen or heard of anything to change my mind. I deal with VR games at work, by the way, so it's not like I don't keep up with it.

BTW dripping sarcasm is *checks notes* a really dumb and immature way to have a discussion. Ease up, holms, it's OK for people to disagree. Even on the internet.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

including one headset that is a standalone console with PCVR titles on it.

Which one are you referring to?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ColdPie posted:

I could be wrong. I've definitely been wrong in the past. But this just smells exactly like 3d tvs. It's cumbersome, expensive, and impractical, and doesn't really add much more than a gimmick. There's nothing you can do in VR that you can't do about as well on a flat display, without hundreds of dollars of gear and a big sweaty pair of goggles on your face. VR's been around for years and there has really not been a killer app. Once the gimmick wears off, the headsets collect dust. I was really excited by the marketing hype, hence the Vive purchase, but was really let down by the software and haven't seen or heard of anything to change my mind. I deal with VR games at work, by the way, so it's not like I don't keep up with it.

BTW dripping sarcasm is *checks notes* a really dumb and immature way to have a discussion. Ease up, holms, it's OK for people to disagree. Even on the internet.

VR fans are really weird, hell all tech fans are really weird if we are honest

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

THE loving MOON posted:

Occulus is still doing the walled garden thing right?

They have their walled garden, but the Rift can 100% play all SteamVr titles

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'll counter by saying vr provides a level of immersion that's like 1000% more immersive than anything 3D ever did. And we only stand to get better from here with better resolution headsets, in and out tracking, haptic feedback gloves and more. Possibly one day go wireless as well.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

ColdPie posted:

PSVR sold like loving gang busters last holiday season. Fuckloads of people got on the $200 AAA vr experience.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Labo VR will be good fun and I trust nintendo not to horribly botch it and make another Virtual Boy

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ColdPie posted:

I pretty much agree with all of this, and it's why I think the Labo is the perfect VR thing.
Cheap price of entry, comes with all the first person VR gimmick playthings you need and tools to make more at no extra price. Headset built for the short bursts of gameplay VR really needs, making for even more ease of use that is desperately needed. And the market has shown that the only VR games worth a drat are 3rd person camera ones that could've played just fine outside of VR anyway, so having BotW as the meatier VR experience (as a free update) nails it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

And if they botch it like the Virtual Boy oh well, the Virtual Boy was cool.

Bring back Teleroboxer you cowards.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

You can get a Google cardboard for $7.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Beastie posted:

PSVR sold like loving gang busters last holiday season. Fuckloads of people got on the $200 AAA vr experience.

PSVR has an attach rate of roughly half the Sega CD did to the Genesis. Different scales, yes, but in absolute numbers it's only about twice as many sold as the Sega CD.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/putting-sonys-4-2-million-psvr-sales-in-context/

And yes, selling well is the nature of fads. The question at hand is whether it will continue to grow or die off.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They have their walled garden, but the Rift can 100% play all SteamVr titles

Oh alright, that's good. I heard about that when Rift dropped and was immediately like 'nope, never, don't care what it costs'

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
Nintendo please release a new Steel Diver for the Switch and add Labo VR support

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Beastie posted:

Microsoft sold a whole bunch of first-gen Kinects, too. I'm very curious whether a second-gen PSVR would build on those numbers.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I wasn't a big believer and am not a big fan of VR but "VR is a fad like 3DTV" is an extremely 2016 opinion.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I bought the pokemon game cheap, is it good.

Edit: the cartridge tastes ok

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
They said the same thing about this whole internet fad not even 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

American McGay posted:

You can get a Google cardboard for $7.

Does it have games developed by Nintendo, it any good video game developer for that matter?