Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

I. M. Gei posted:

N: Congratulations to the 2019 NCAA Men’s Basketball NIT Champions, the Texas Longhorns.

V: Fire Shaka

Aww, I actually kind of hoped Lipscomb would make it happen. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Do you hang banners for that?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Do you hang banners for that?

Yes, and Texas has hung banners for less.

I don’t think they can fire Shaka fresh off a tournament win of any kind, but I could see them making a run at Bruce Pearl if he’s still at Auburn next year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I. M. Gei posted:

I don’t think they can fire Shaka fresh off a tournament win of any kind, but I could see them making a run at Bruce Pearl if he’s still at Auburn next year.

I don't know, it's Texas. They can fire people at will if they choose to (well I guess anyone with the money to do so can), and they feel like they should be the best at everything. It's just a matter of whether they care enough about basketball to be mad enough to do it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know, it's Texas. They can fire people at will if they choose to (well I guess anyone with the money to do so can), and they feel like they should be the best at everything. It's just a matter of whether they care enough about basketball to be mad enough to do it.

They can, but they probably won’t. It’d look lovely for Texas to fire a guy that just won a tourney, NIT or otherwise, which would make the “getting Pearl to take the job” part of the plan a lot harder.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bitch we will build a statue of Bruce and encase him inside it if anyone comes for him

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Congrats to Marshall for winning the CIT, which apparently also happens.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

is tha tthe one with the best-of-three final series? one of those weird semihemidemitournaments that appeared in the last decade used that gimmick, which would be a short series in any other sport

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Also, gently caress the NCAA: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/04/sports/ncaa-final-four-graduate-transfers.html

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Wait why does Texas think they could pull Pearl from Auburn? I wasn't aware of any ties he had there

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Kyle Guy had to take down his wedding registry because it was an NCAA violation for people to buy him gifts

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wait why does Texas think they could pull Pearl from Auburn? I wasn't aware of any ties he had there

Texas thinks they can get any coach from any school.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Ungratek posted:

Kyle Guy had to take down his wedding registry because it was an NCAA violation for people to buy him gifts

This is so wack

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ungratek posted:

Kill the NCAA

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

oystertoadfish posted:

is tha tthe one with the best-of-three final series? one of those weird semihemidemitournaments that appeared in the last decade used that gimmick, which would be a short series in any other sport

That's the CBI. DePaul and South Florida have a deciding Game 3 for 102nd place in Division 1 tonight.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1114190370995343360

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pearl has to take the Texas job before Stack whoops his rear end over some recruiting dispute

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

R.D. Mangles posted:

GUESS WHO'S IN THE WOMEN'S NIT CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

Finally our long posting battle to take physical form in the most hallowed venue

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Auburn and Texas fighting over a basketball coach would be interesting to watch. Look we don't care about basketball very much but if you think you're a bigger football entity you got a fight comin!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Outside of specifically designed one-year MBA programs, aren't most Master's level programs two year deals?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Chief McHeath posted:

Outside of specifically designed one-year MBA programs, aren't most Master's level programs two year deals?

Varies widely across different programs and disciplines.

Shutting this down is yet another way for the NCAA to show they don’t give a poo poo about the student side of things. Obviously we know that already but taking away the chance for players to get credits toward an actual degree that might help them beyond playing days is just gratuitous.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
B..b.b...but most of their athletes go pro in something other than sports!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Apparently Guy’s wedding registry was OK after all and it was either a miscommunication or an overabundance of caution.

So obviously the NCAA will change their mind at some point in the future and UVA will have to vacate all of this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The funny thing is the grad transfer thing as it works now is like the NCAA's best argument that they're about education first and they still can't not gently caress with it.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

lol UCLA https://twitter.com/jeffeisenberg/status/1114312374847041536?s=21

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

This is how the most decorated program in the history of the sport winds up hiring a guy who couldn't hack it at Iowa

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lol gently caress Calipari

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

kiimo posted:

Auburn and Texas fighting over a basketball coach would be interesting to watch. Look we don't care about basketball very much but if you think you're a bigger football entity you got a fight comin!

If Texas does decide to fight Auburn for Pearl, they won’t do it this year. Firing Shaka after an NIT championship would be a PR nightmare from both the fans’ and the players’ perspectives. The only way Del Conte would consider firing Shaka this year is if a huge, and I mean HUGE, contingent of the fanbase (or the big money donors) demand it, which I don’t see happening.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I agree. Winning that probably bought him time, years even.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Do people really care that much about winning the NIT, this far into Shaka’s tenure? I’d still think of it as a year we missed the tourney if I were an AD

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Texas has not tasted the sweet flavor of victory in a while and I'm not sure their fans fully comprehend the difference between the tournaments.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

This is how the most decorated program in the history of the sport winds up hiring a guy who couldn't hack it at Iowa

Looking forward to USC's football coach hiring process looking like this next year before they hire Jeff Fisher because he is a USC man

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I. M. Gei posted:

Firing Shaka after an NIT championship would be a PR nightmare from both the fans’ and the players’ perspectives.

I feel as though fans don't exist on a large enough level and players don't matter.

Like, maybe they stick with Shaka and that's ok. He might have earned it. I just don't think the decision makers care about either of these PR nightmare points.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ungratek posted:

Do people really care that much about winning the NIT, this far into Shaka’s tenure? I’d still think of it as a year we missed the tourney if I were an AD

If you're a team that's had a huge postseason drought it's kinda fun to see them go on a NIT run but that isn't the case with Texas. I can't imagine too many people care that much.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
If Texas pushes out Shaka this year, it'll be because they felt compelled to make a splash after Tech makes a final four (and possibly more!) with an UT alum at the helm, UH makes the sweet sixteen and extends Sampson, A&M makes a huge hire, and Baylor remains competent with a great coach at the helm

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I agree with most of your post but let's take it easy with Scott Drew being great.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Winning the NIT essentially means that maybe you should have gotten that play in 11 spot, which doesn’t say a whole lot. Texas still gives Shaka one more year, but I have to imagine he’s gone next year if they don’t make the NCAA and at a decent seed too.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bird in a Blender posted:

Winning the NIT essentially means that maybe you should have gotten that play in 11 spot, which doesn’t say a whole lot. Texas still gives Shaka one more year, but I have to imagine he’s gone next year if they don’t make the NCAA and at a decent seed too.

So basically you’re saying he’s gone next year.

Ungratek posted:

Honestly if I were our AD I probably wouldn’t feel too bad about dumping Shaka fresh off this NIT win. He’s been coaching at UT for four years and has failed to make the NCAA Tournament twice, the other time being after Texas’s worst season in at least 20 years. For a team that at least made it to the tournament almost every year under Rick Barnes, that’s unacceptable, no matter how tough the Big 12 is as a conference.

As far as I’m concerned, Shaka has had more than enough time to show his worth as a coach, and it just isn’t there. It’s time for him to go.

The problem is, most Texas fans are stupid and probably think winning the NIT is actually worth something, possibly because they don’t give enough of a poo poo about men’s basketball to know otherwise. So as much as I’d love for Texas to try to trade him in for Pearl, I don’t really expect there to be much of a fan or booster outcry to fire Shaka this year.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well gently caress.

https://www.hookem.com/story/sources-ncaa-tournament-bid-not-texas-administrators-sticking-shaka-smart/

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/3/14/18266814/fire-shaka-smart-chris-del-conte-texas-longhorns-basketball

It didn’t even occur to me that Shaka’s buyout might be a factor. We’re gonna be stuck with this fucker for A WHILE!! :cripes:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

UCLA and UT have been racing to waste the most money on basketball coaches.

UCLA probably was considering Russell Turner before his homophobic idiocy in the Oregon game.