Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Didn't know what it was before, now I do. I learned something today and that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Woebin posted:

Didn't know what it was before, now I do. I learned something today and that's cool.

somehow that first image completely covers up the first two lines of your post

e; oh nm, the first two lines of your post were part of the img

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gripweed posted:

You know how they say that the jester was the only member of the royal court who could speak unwelcome truths to the king? That was literally never true. The most famous court jester was a guy named Roland the Farter whose entire act was a combination of acrobatics and his ability to fart on command. Another famous jester was a little person who the king would put between two loaves of bread and pretend to eat like a sandwich. All jesters just did slapstick and dick and fart jokes, the idea that they did cutting political commentary is a complete historical myth made up by Jon Stewart fans

That doesn't have anything to do with what you said but I just wanted to talk about Roland the Farter

Ha! Take that Jon Stewart!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The 'fool' role more traditionally was basically a mentally ill or disabled person trotted out to be entertaining for his dysfunctions, or a professional entertainer, like the abovementioned farter.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DiggityDoink posted:

somehow that first image completely covers up the first two lines of your post

e; oh nm, the first two lines of your post were part of the img

If a get a bigger laugh than this today it’ll be a good day

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
This got posted in a fairly minor community, and I desperately feel this needs to be seen by more people.

"An illustated manual on Sounding Safely"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Professional farters (flatulists) were a popular form of entertainment throughout the medieval world. In Japan they were known as heppiri otoko, in Ireland they were called the braigetoír.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Professional farters (flatulists) were a popular form of entertainment throughout the medieval world. In Japan they were known as heppiri otoko, in Ireland they were called the braigetoír.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tixKopGjn5s

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Professional farters (flatulists)

"Flutists" for short.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bike tory posted:

Japan uses a different year to the rest of the world, based on the current emperor's reign. The current date in Japan is 30/04/05. The current Japanese emperor is stepping down at the end of April, triggering a new era (for the first time, normally it happens when the emperor dies). The current era is Heisei (平成).

The new emperor starts on the 1st May so it'll go back to 01/05/01. The new era is going to be called Reiwa, with the kanji you can see in the tweet.

This is pretty niche knowledge that I only have because I lived in Japan. Posting that tweet with zero context was dumb.

Wait, I thought after the Heisei era it was the Millennium era next.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Lobok posted:

Wait, I thought after the Heisei era it was the Millennium era next.

common mistake, it's Heisei until W, which begins Neo-Heisei

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Now that's a joke you can call me a weeaboo for.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol god drat y'all are defensive weiners

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

If you have to write a short essay to explain the joke, it isn't a good joke.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Less talk, more pictures.

PaulBearer
Jul 23, 2013

Today they are called Gripweed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

JoelJoel posted:

If you have to write a short essay to explain the joke, it isn't a good joke.

Counterpoint: GG being required to explain why an image was funny every time he posted one was very funny.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

There is no reason I would know or care about the Japanese emperor, but I will concede that that is not especially weeaboo nonsense. That said, GG is in fact an insufferable weeaboo shithead so when he posts some kanji joke it's natural to assume it's about some gross anime.

He's like that guy who goes to a party and gets in too close and talks obsessively about anime or other nerd poo poo to normal people. It's awkward, unpleasant for everyone, and if it were my party I'd kick him out or at least ask him to shut up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

A man walks into a resort, and the first sign he sees reads "LOOL AREA"

He was confused and asks one of the employees about it.

“Yes, we have this tradition here, we replace the first ‘P’ of any word that starts with P with an ‘L’ because the owner hates the words that starts with letter ‘P’."

The man thought this was strange, but as long as there were no other rules, he’d be fine. The man toured the resort and eventually came upon the cafeteria.

There was a sign which read, “Serving Lierogies and Lork tonight.”

Thinking about the food made the man hungry, so he went around looking for food. Strangely, in cafetaria he only found two signs that read; line for breakfast and line for dinner, both of which were closed since it was 12:30 PM.

Confused and hungry, the man approached the employee and asked, “Where’s the lunchline?”

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blind Rasputin posted:

“Yes, we have this tradition here, we replace the first ‘P’ of any word that starts with P with an ‘L’ because the owner hates the words that starts with letter ‘P’."

The man thought this was strange, but as long as there were no other rules, he’d be fine. The man toured the resort and eventually came upon the cafeteria.

Thinking about the food made the man hungry, so he went around looking for food. Strangely, in cafetaria he only found two signs that read; line for breakfast and line for dinner, both of which were closed since it was 12:30 PM.

Confused and hungry, the man approached the employee and asked, “Where’s the lunchline?”

:eyepoop:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I was 100% sure my dad died last year, but here he is, posting in PYF.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I have zero desire to play with Batman's disembodied frozen testicle.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

:bravo:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I laughed inappropriately at work

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

There is no reason I would know or care about the Japanese emperor, but I will concede that that is not especially weeaboo nonsense.

You realize that there's an entire country of people who speak Japanese and that 99% of the culture actually has nothing to do with anime, right

All y'all who reflexively kneejerk with "LOL WEEABOO" whenever you see some vaguely asian poo poo oughta examine yourselves. This shouldn't be an "I concede" it should be an "I was a racist dumbass"

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Apr 5, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You realize that there's an entire country of people who speak Japanese and that 99% of the culture actually has nothing to do with anime, right

what the hell

is this true

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nah, it's all anime and Dragon Quest games over there.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Picnic Princess posted:

I have zero desire to play with Batman's disembodied frozen testicle.

:hai:

Noted.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

All y'all who reflexively kneejerk with "LOL WEEABOO" whenever you see some vaguely asian poo poo oughta examine yourselves. This shouldn't be an "I concede" it should be an "I was a racist dumbass"

Who hurt your waifu?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

99% of non-Japanese people not in Japan who are obsessed with Japan are weeaboos.

I had a lily white, towering red-headed friend in college ask me if I would help him commit seppuku if his girlfriend turned down his marriage proposal. He wanted me to catch his head. You see, he wanted to disembowel himself and behead himself if he was dealt the dishonor of his love rejecting him.
She accepted the proposal but left him eventually, because of pretty obvious reasons. I have no idea if he murdered himself because I'd dropped out of college and moved to another state by then.
That's what I think of when someone talks about a non-Japanese person who worries about Japan like that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Aleph Null posted:

99% of <non-Japanese> people

<not in Japan >

<who are obsessed with Japan >

are weeaboos.
That's a whole lot of qualifications to a statement to justify some dumb racist kneejerk poo poo. And that's a nice anecdote about someone you knew once. This isn't even about GG, this is just someone seeing moon runes and jumping to "lol weeaboo" because that's the only experience they have and the only lens they can see any eastern culture through. I'm purposely not saying Japanese, even, because this happens with Chinese and Korean stuff too.

Stop making excuses for racism and post funny pics

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

This is a funny image. If you don't get it, you're racist. Now explain it to me or admit you're a horrible person.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

JoelJoel posted:

This is a funny image. If you don't get it, you're racist. Now explain it to me or admit you're a horrible person.

I have failed this Voight-Kampff test for assholes. I am a horrible person.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

tribbledirigible posted:

Racist.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

tribbledirigible posted:

The crab can't set its watches. You aren't helping. Why aren't you helping?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

FactsAreUseless posted:

The crab can't set its watches. You aren't helping. Why aren't you helping?

Incorrect. You are also racist. I'm sorry I had to be the one to tell you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

JoelJoel posted:

Incorrect. You are also racist. I'm sorry I had to be the one to tell you.
You people are always saying that.

e: sorry, your people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/snfalkenburg/status/1113563132121747458