Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Same but Novell Groupwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Hey Groupwise was actually good. Far, far better than the equivalent Notes or Exchange of its era.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MF_James posted:

Has anyone that says Teams is bad actually used Teams recently?

It's really not that loving bad, SfB was worse, stop being babies about things changing.

I deeply enjoy that everyone touting the quality of Teams is using SfB as their comparison.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

I deeply enjoy that everyone touting the quality of Teams is using SfB as their comparison.

We've been released from that circle of hell. Teams call quality is great compared to Skype (either for business or not).

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Our holiday booking system is still on Lotus Notes.

Everything else has been migrated off it for 2 years, but holidays remain and there is no plan to get them somewhere else.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

A ticket hasn't come in. Becuase we had a site wide powercut and seems its taken out our whole network. Good fun for Friday afternoon. Sucks to be our network folks right now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Aunt Beth posted:

Hey Groupwise was actually good. Far, far better than the equivalent Notes or Exchange of its era.

I agree. I miss that and netware.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GreenNight posted:

cc:Mail supremacy

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Theswarms posted:

Our holiday booking system is still on Lotus Notes.

Everything else has been migrated off it for 2 years, but holidays remain and there is no plan to get them somewhere else.

Same but our expenses system instead. While digging around in there I found that I have a working email address from the predecessor company where my team originated 8 years ago. Said company was since bought, merged, then merged again.

e: I joined less than two years ago

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How does my company choose between Skype/Lync, Symphony, Blackberry/Good, and Exchange?

It doesn't, we just use them all according to everyone's whims lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Just use little paper notes and pneumatic tubes

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Blackberry/Good

:stonk:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

As the apparent resident madposter I have a mad (as in insane) contribution to chat, er, chat: we use Facebook Workplace. Not for any of the FB features, just for chat, basically.

That said, I don't particularly like it very much (my boss insisted because he sometimes gets crazy ideas that he insists are the way of the future) because of the FB tracking issues and because it's not a real business product, but there are two things that standout:

1. Mobile chat and the floating head overlay - this is the same as FB Messenger where you have a floating circle that pops up superimposed over the open app when you get new messages, and I find it very useful to pop open chat briefly, respond to something, then go back to whatever app you were using.

2. Individual read notifications with little icons for everyone in the chat room showing what message they last read. This is INSANELY helpful for knowing whether someone's seen what you posted, i.e. whether you should continue saying stuff about it or wait until they've caught up. If Teams implemented this I'd want to switch tomorrow.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Methanar posted:

bring back l o t u s n o t e s

i wrote this after acquiring secondary Notes https://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Lotus_Notes

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Super Soaker Party! posted:

As the apparent resident madposter I have a mad (as in insane) contribution to chat, er, chat: we use Facebook Workplace. Not for any of the FB features, just for chat, basically.

That said, I don't particularly like it very much (my boss insisted because he sometimes gets crazy ideas that he insists are the way of the future) because of the FB tracking issues and because it's not a real business product, but there are two things that standout:

1. Mobile chat and the floating head overlay - this is the same as FB Messenger where you have a floating circle that pops up superimposed over the open app when you get new messages, and I find it very useful to pop open chat briefly, respond to something, then go back to whatever app you were using.

2. Individual read notifications with little icons for everyone in the chat room showing what message they last read. This is INSANELY helpful for knowing whether someone's seen what you posted, i.e. whether you should continue saying stuff about it or wait until they've caught up. If Teams implemented this I'd want to switch tomorrow.
Just do what Facebook, Oculus, and Instagram do and use Facebook for your AAA.

Makes using Facebook Messenger much easier.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol if you don't love LotusScript. The Not-Visual Basic for Applications scripting language

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

How does my company choose between Skype/Lync, Symphony, Blackberry/Good, and Exchange?

It doesn't, we just use them all according to everyone's whims lol

Our whole systems changes every 12 months.
We think a different upper exec each time finds out that X has a feature which would be useful one or two times for themselves, and so the full 5000+ rest of us has to upgrade.

We once changed to a shittier messaging app as it was cheaper per head, but which bit the company in the rear end when they found out it did not store pics sent in messages.
There was a harassment lawsuit, some people were fired, and the fired people sued back due to lack of evidence and won. The records of empty picture holders was not proof they broke any rules.
They could have sent cat pics, they could have sent nsfw pics, no one could tell.
We instantly upgraded to one that does store pics after that.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 6, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

happyhippy posted:

Our whole systems changes every 12 months.
We think a different upper exec each time finds out that X has a feature which would be useful one or two times for themselves, and so the full 5000+ rest of us has to upgrade.

We once changed to a shittier messaging app as it was cheaper per head, but which bit the company in the rear end when they found out it did not store pics sent in messages.
There was a harassment lawsuit, some people were fired, and the fired people sued back due to lack of evidence and won. The records of empty picture holders was not proof they broke any rules.
They could have sent cat pics, they could have sent nsfw pics, no one could tell.
We instantly upgraded to one that does store pics after that.

In fact let me elaborate on this some, because it is a hell of an illustration of ... something.

We've always (apparently, I've only been there like 2 years) used Skype/Lync for IM'ing and group chatting and screensharing on the desktop. It's ugly and clunky, but it :airquote: works.

On mobile, however, we've always (apparently) used Blackberry, and more recently, the Good suite (which is just BB rebranded). It integrates with Exchange okay, so you get email and calendar stuff pretty smoothly. However, the chat app is completely lacking. It's supposed to hook in with Skype, but it doesn't really; the contact list is there, so you can initiate a chat with someone else from your phone and that will work if they're on their phone; or if they're on Skype on their desktop it miiiiight reach them, though them replying to you is a crap shoot. But if someone tries to chat you from Skype, it will never get to you on your phone, which means for someone trying to reach you it may as well not exist as a feature.

A year or two back, apparently, someone noticed that this was an untenable situation, since in this day and age we're all hot-desking (ugh) and spread across dozens of facilities around the world (ugh) and therefore we may as well all just WFH the whole time via VDI (yay?), but that implies we must always have our VDI up and running at all times because we can't trust our phones for critical communications. So someone got the bright idea to marry the Skype and Good systems by replacing them with a new, third system, Symphony.

Two years of internal development and rollout later, and to make a long story less long, we now have three incompatible chat systems.

Symphony turns out not to be an IM system at all, but a kind of "channel" based thing like Discord where you can't message individual people, only subscribe to channels in which hundreds if not thousands of people are constantly yammering. Every time this happens your taskbar lights up with a big flashing tile that won't stop until you activate Symphony and click on the message (which is hideously slow on these VDIs) and wait for its terrible javascript-or-flash-or-whatever-based interface to slowly refresh. Best part? Due to system policies, Symphony cannot be quit. You're stuck with it flashing away forever. The only thing you can do is unsubscribe from all channels and stubbornly stick to Skype, because hell, it's still the only way to do one-on-one chats or screenshare, which is how 99% of the work gets done anyway.

Oh yeah also Symphony has no mobile app or Good integration so lol.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Which exec got a sackful of cash for signing the Symphony contract?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Two years of internal development and rollout later, and to make a long story less long, we now have three incompatible chat systems.
https://xkcd.com/927/

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Jeezus, and I thought the Hangouts Classic bot in Chat was a bastard. It was one way comms - anyone messaging you in Hangouts who wasn't Chat-enabled would go into a big bucket group chat called Hangouts Classic in the recipient's Chat, and you'd have to sort it out from there and message them back from Hangouts.

Also, anyone on Hangouts AND Chat would light up both clients.

Chat still has maybe 10% of the functionality that Slack did. But we can't use it, or Discord, because "internal data cannot be stored in 3rd party clouds."

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

AlexDeGruven posted:

IBM still uses it internally.

I loved Sametime, and even though it's been over 10 years since I was at IBM, the Meanwhile client with the Sametime backend is still the best enterprise IM experience I've had. It had every feature you'd need, it was fast, and everything just worked. I think I had to switch to Pidgin at some point because Meanwhile wasn't maintained, but Pidgin worked just fine.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

AlternateAccount posted:

Which large bag of wet animal poo poo would you prefer to carry on your back?

Well, at least this one doesn't smell QUITE as bad.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Data Graham posted:

[People don't understand IM]

We use SfB and we're not allowed to send images through it! Yay!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At my most recent tech job, for whatever reason, my IM login never worked. I'd be showing offline to well over half the company, and a lot of messages sent to me would be dropped.

They never fixed it in the 7-8 months I was there, once.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Like, they've disabled that? Why the gently caress?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ChubbyThePhat posted:

lolwut?

Friday, a bunch of us had to explain in gory detail why renewing our IronPorts on the internal server ring was better than rolling our own internal SMTP relays.

It's one of those "It is known" things, but loving seriously, the potential for a massive shitbomb is just too great. Entire companies have been formed around doing SMTP gateways/relays well, and throwing a couple of Windows engineers at the problem is NOT the solution.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
And then there's Teams which has a built-in meme generator.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Pyroclastic posted:

A ticket (phone call) came in: My computer isn't waking up. It updated last night and now it won't turn on.

Sure enough, the computer was on but the monitors were blank, doesn't respond to keypress or mouse. Reset button, computer comes back to login screen. Still doesn't respond to keypress or mouse. Lock key lights don't turn on. Huh.
Reseat USB cables, no change. Power cycle, no change. Keyboard and mouse work in BIOS, exit BIOS to Windows, stop working. Try different keyboards, no change. Try a PS/2 keyboard, no change (except the numlock light stays on and won't turn off). Boot from a USB stick with the Windows installer. Keyboard doesn't work. Unplug everything internally and externally except the bare minimum, no change. Our PXE boot server is broken, so can't test with that. Keyboard still works inside the UEFI shell it offers as a boot option.

Remove half the RAM and leave it all in one channel, works once, but after testing other channel/RAM pairings, it stops working. Try one stick in each channel, and it works consistently. Ok, looks like there's something funky with the memory controller. Find the setting in BIOS to turn dual channel off, reinstall all four DIMMs, everything's just fine. Take it back to the user and get her back up. Recommend to our tech admins order a new computer since something is obviously failing and it might not last.

Get a call again this morning, and it's doing it again. Still running in unlinked mode, keyboard and mouse only start working again when I actually remove the second module in each channel. New computer ordered.

Weirdest drat thing I've seen in a while.

I've got a laptop sitting on a shelf behind me with a similar problem, except that it will not accept any user input at all, in BIOS or otherwise. USB keyboard/mouse doesn't work, built in touch pad doesn't work, built in keyboard doesn't work. No idea why.

I'd just throw it out, but we're a non-profit and could really use the laptop if I could get it working again.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

We just switched to Teams from Hipchat (:rip:) and I am disliking it so far. Doing a screenshare is an awful and broken experience you dont actually share a screen, just a window; if that window has any pop-outs or you drag a, *gasp*, different window onto that screen, the other person cant see it. If you scroll up to something that was said even 3 minutes ago it has to load the data from a server in Antarctica. You cant interact with it via its icon in the taskbar other than to set your status.

suuma posted:

And then there's Teams which has a built-in meme generator.
:frogon:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
There are plugins for a lot of the bigger IM clients that can actually build memes on the fly. Because yeah...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

We just switched to Teams from Hipchat (:rip:) and I am disliking it so far. Doing a screenshare is an awful and broken experience you dont actually share a screen, just a window; if that window has any pop-outs or you drag a, *gasp*, different window onto that screen, the other person cant see it. If you scroll up to something that was said even 3 minutes ago it has to load the data from a server in Antarctica. You cant interact with it via its icon in the taskbar other than to set your status.

:frogon:

You can share entire screens. The behavior you are describing is correct if you only share a window, because, gasp, it only displays the content of the window you selected.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Fool posted:

You can share entire screens. The behavior you are describing is correct if you only share a window, because, gasp, it only displays the content of the window you selected.
Right but, I didnt select a window, I selected a screen.

edit: The option is "Share Screen" and no where does it say anything about only sharing a window instead of the whole contents of a screen. I've never even heard of '"window" sharing' on any messaging app; I've only seen screen sharing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 8, 2019

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
We use teams, I have only posted memes on it and nothing else. Don't think anyone has noticed yet

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

edit: The option is "Share Screen" and no where does it say anything about only sharing a window instead of the whole contents of a screen. I've never even heard of '"window" sharing' on any messaging app; I've only seen screen sharing.
It's for privacy purposes. So that when you're presenting to a group of people, your wife's email notification popping up saying that her period has started isn't shared with everyone else. You may not have seen it, but it's pretty common with desktop-sharing apps now. Even Chrome's cast feature does the same thing by default; it only casts the single tab unless you deliberately select "Share screen".

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

angry armadillo posted:

We use teams, I have only posted memes on it and nothing else. Don't think anyone has noticed yet

We got Teams working like, Tuesday of last week. 80% of the chat is memes and gifs and the other 20% is "Hey guys check this out"
As a productivity tool it's a wash compared to SfB but as a cat pictures and look into my coworker's minds machine it's pretty alright.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

"Window" sharing has been around for ages. It's a privacy thing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Note that the two options on the left under Desktop say Screen #1 and Screen #2, and every other option is a window I have open. It also very clearly shows Desktop and Window at the top.

e: Despite me obviously being on the pro-teams team, I'm more than willing to admit that Teams has it's issues. But this is not one of them.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 8, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

nexxai posted:

It's for privacy purposes. So that when you're presenting to a group of people, your wife's email notification popping up saying that her period has started isn't shared with everyone else. You may not have seen it, but it's pretty common with desktop-sharing apps now. Even Chrome's cast feature does the same thing by default; it only casts the single tab unless you deliberately select "Share screen".

ConfusedUs posted:

"Window" sharing has been around for ages. It's a privacy thing.

whelp, learn something new every day. I've never been one to leave any app running that would show something like that when sharing a screen but I can understand how it became a thing. Kinda like how Skype has you muted on joining a meeting (which I really wish Webex would do).

The Fool posted:

Note that the two options on the left under Desktop say Screen #1 and Screen #2, and every other option is a window I have open. It also very clearly shows Desktop and Window at the top.

e: Despite me obviously being on the pro-teams team, I'm more than willing to admit that Teams has it's issues. But this is not one of them.
Thank you for the screenshot, I hadnt noticed that / noticed the difference because there is no clear divider between the two in the UI and because of the way I operate my windows are usually full screen so I didnt notice a difference in the preview. I feel like that UI could be a little bit more clear but yeah what I was posting about earlier was user error on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

whelp, learn something new every day. I've never been one to leave any app running that would show something like that when sharing a screen but I can understand how it became a thing. Kinda like how Skype has you muted on joining a meeting (which I really wish Webex would do).

I had a boss who would always present for our team meetings, but also always shared his entire screen, and had desktop notifications for all his chat clients.

Never a dull moment when you start seeing manager-and-above scuttlebutt on the bottom of the screen.