Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

DoubleNegative posted:

Guys, even if I hacked in enough master balls to catch enough pokemon to create a living dex, I still wouldn't use Delta Meloetta. I just don't want to.

I'm going to side with DoubleNegative on this one as I actually took a look at Delta Meloetta and it's just.. not great.

It's either a physical dark/fairy (Which is good on the Dark side but bad on the fairy side) or special dark/fighting (which is meh on dark and terrible on fighting because it doesn't get aura sphere) It does not learn. The only advantage it has over normal Meloetta is that if you forme change it it will stay in that form. The downside is it still uses Relic Song to switch, which it doesn't get STAB on.

We've got a better dark/fairy pokemon in Delta Roserade. If we really really want a special focused dark/fighting pokemon for some reason we can get a delta squirtle who does learn dark pulse and aura sphere(and vacuum wave!), and has mega launcher to make them better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

On an unrelated note, the keys with seven sharps are apparently C# major and A# minor. They are apparently barely ever used because they sound the same as D flat major and B flat minor, which are easier to write (they use five flats instead of seven sharps).

The Golux fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 3, 2019

DrKirre
Jun 11, 2014

Am I a mouse dreaming I'm a cat, or a scratching post dreaming I'm a bowl of wet food? Never assume what you see and feel is real!
Mmm... wet food...
It feels like the forms really are backwards - the mime - uses physical motions for effects - is special? But the magician - magicians using MAGIC hence the name - is physical? That just isn't right. It really sounds like it's bugged.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DrKirre posted:

It feels like the forms really are backwards - the mime - uses physical motions for effects - is special? But the magician - magicians using MAGIC hence the name - is physical? That just isn't right. It really sounds like it's bugged.

It's a stage magician, so it's using sleight of hand, not magic.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Mimes also literally touch nothing. That's kinda the point.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

The Golux posted:

On an unrelated note, the keys with seven sharps are apparently C# major and A# minor. They are apparently barely ever used because they sound the same as D flat major and B flat minor, which are easier to write (they use five flats instead of seven sharps).

They sound the same because they are the same. Also, I'm glad that this ancient civilization had a notation system identical to ye' old western classical notation, lest we had to find someone that could read it. Also, it's a good thing that their music is based on a seven note scale, like ours is. What if their music was based on a 5 note scale? An 8 note scale? Or a 13 note scale? Or, god forbid, not even a scale, but a row of non-repeating tone classes? What would we do then?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Actually they write it in frequency, duration, and modulation.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DiggleWrath posted:

They sound the same because they are the same. Also, I'm glad that this ancient civilization had a notation system identical to ye' old western classical notation, lest we had to find someone that could read it. Also, it's a good thing that their music is based on a seven note scale, like ours is. What if their music was based on a 5 note scale? An 8 note scale? Or a 13 note scale? Or, god forbid, not even a scale, but a row of non-repeating tone classes? What would we do then?

FoolyCharged posted:

Actually they write it in frequency, duration, and modulation.
So what I'm getting from this is that music may be a universal language, but writing systems are a bitch.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I thought math was the universal language :toot:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kitfox88 posted:

I thought math was the universal language :toot:
There can be more than one. I've heard both music and math referred to as "universal languages". Hence why my post said a universal language, not the universal language.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Catching legendaries is the worst part of Pokemon and i literally never use them anyway so i dont know why anyone is freaking out about not catching them

If you care that much, play the drat game yourself

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Delta Meloetta is cute though

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Math and music aren't really so distinct at a few levels

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

1+1=*Carly Rae Jepsen sax intro*

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Waffleman_ posted:

1+1=*Carly Rae Jepsen sax intro*

Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy, but here's some numbers, so ln(x) maybe.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

delta Meloetta

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Hello everyone and welcome back. We've got a new friend.

I had a hard time deciding between Autotomize and Acid Armor/Iron Defense. (Delta Aggron learns all three by level up). On the one hand, she vastly improves one of her worst stat and reduces her vulnerability to Low Kick with each usage. But on the other, she could take her already ironclad defense and boost it to staggering levels (up to a theoretical maximum of 1,852). There's really not a wrong choice, it's just down to preferences.

Charsi replaces Virulence on the team. I love Delta Camerupt, but he was the most easily replaced.

Let's return to the Dream Realm.

Adam's waiting for us?

Oh dear... It may be a bit hard to tell, but all these cultists have been Deoxyfied. Check it out:

This is an unused battle sprite in the game's raws.

Amy! Oh, it's great to see you. We're not in such a great state right now. Here, come on into the Gym. There's a back entrance, we need to talk.

Erebus City is a mess right now. That Deoxys virus that followed you down here... Well, remember all of Persephone's cultists that Darkrai sent down? They've all gotten... changed. They're all part of that old guy's side now. I'm not exactly sure how it works.

We need... we need a trump card. Amy, I'm not sure how much you know about how the Dream Realm works. Obviously it exists in your mind, all of this. But, humanity's Dream Realm is all one land- there aren't separate realms for each person. The parts of the Dream Realm for each person are separated by dangerous Badlands.

else's Dream Realm.

It's dangerous- nobody's really ever tried. But somewhere in the center of it all, connecting the realms... is Rem Village. According to legends, it is the place where Darkrai rests. We need to convince it to join us.

Thank you. So much. One of my pokemon can teleport you to Prion Town, but from there you'll have to walk. The Badlands are just west of it. Alakazam! Come on out!

We're way back where we first landed in the Dream Realm. In fact, we even have briefly visited the Nightmare Badlands but we couldn't make any progress.

Like a lot of postgame maps, the Badlands look a lot more daunting than it really is

Also it's full of Darkrai cultists. Wait, what?

Only the weak ones were!

Heh. Zoroark trainer doesn't have anyone else.

Her? Oh wait does this mean what I think it means? :allears:

No. :mad:

Yes this means exactly what I think it means. We get to fight Persephone again!

Then why did you join the Cult of Darkrai?

Oh if only.

The path forward is actually here, but let's continue exploring. There's more to see here.

You had a Tyranitar and a Spiritomb. My frost spirit is 18 levels higher than either of them.

Good old Lunar Cannon!

We can catch our own Deoxys in this Relic Song wall once we beat the Elite Four rematch. We can also catch our own Hoopa on this route, but it requires entering from another location. I'll show that off in the next update.

Let's just heal everyone to full.

You are not beating me to REM Village. I don't even have any assistants anymore. That virus turned all the members of my group into weird Deoxys things. You've already trapped me down here in this miserable hole. And then I learn that Darkrai lives here? My hope of light and a chance of escaping?

The funny thing is we could even work together in this. We both want her group uncorrupted and out of Amy's dream realm. It's the world's easiest alliance of convenience. However, Persephone is a moron, so...

You've taken everything from me, but you're not going to take this. Darkrai is mine, and I am going to figure a way out of here! You're going down!

To put it bluntly, if you could beat Professor Maple, then you can easily beat Persephone. Also the Spiritomb isn't level 80, it's 93.

Even sadder, most of Persephone's team is really weak to Cirno's special brand of bullshit.

15 level difference, supereffective hit.

Battle of the Metagrosses!

There's a slight difference between the last fight with Persephone and this one.

That difference being that we're not so much winning the battle as we are utterly humiliating Persephone.

Nothing she has can even so much as move before it's swatted like a fly.

In fact, the first move she gets is a Shadow Ball from her Alakazam.

She should have tried a little harder. 80 base power + 50% from mega launcher x 2 (supereffective). Then add another 35% on top of that thanks to Noctem. Compound all that against how fragile Alakazam is.

A pity for Alakazam that it won't survive a second Dark Pulse.

ScubaSteve moves first the second time.

To Gengar's credit, it very nearly one shots Ramses.

But "almost" and "nearly" don't count here. Ramses may have only 5% life, but anything more than 0 means he's good to go. Also it strikes me that if I had used Acrobatics, he wouldn't have been hurt at all thanks to Gale Wings.

Good effort. Execution needs a little work.

You got whacked 'cuz you're weak.

I don't know what kind of dumb plot armor you have, but it's not something I can beat on my own. ...but I can wait. Darkrai's been around for longer than you have, and it'll be around for longer than you will. It'll come back here eventually. I can outlast you. That I know.

Keep moving.

Darkrai's place is just back here. I'd post a shot of REM Village, but it's a single house and some wilderness around it.

REM Village and the Nightmare Badlands are the only two places in the game that you can find wild Zoroarks. Same with wild Reuinclus.

:confused: I had to look up what this does. It changes the formes of the Forces of Nature. We've actually been able to catch two of them for a while now. In fact, Thundurus has technically been catchable since we got Tesseract.

I'm about to make a mistake.

And there it is. I caught Darkrai.

The wiki warns to heal up before you leave the house, because once you do, you're forced into another boss fight. So I did just that...

You can't hold out forever, Adam. Muahahaha... would it really be so bad? We can promise you peace. We can promise you tranquility! We can promise you immortality. That's nothing to laugh at.
A long life like yours isn't a life worth living. We're not going down easy.

Also Adam's technically been immortal. It's what got him and everyone else into this mess in the first place.

I've been trying to hold them off, but I can't fight on my own forever. I need your help taking them down. Will you fight with me? I can battle Malde, if you can battle your friend. Together, I'm sure we can fend them off. Father and daughter. Just like it always should have been.

Hell yeah we'll help!

Well, isn't this cute? Damian, deal with her. Maybe this will redeem you for giving them that crystal piece- the one thing we had down here.
Don't make this any harder than it has to be, Amy. Make this easy for both of us. Lose.

Boss fight was supposed to go here.

In fact here's what it was supposed to look like. But remember that I hosed up. If you catch Darkrai, the game skips the boss fight.

It's over. We've beaten you both. Amy's caught and partnered up with Darkrai, the ruler of this realm.
So? I'm invulnerable, undefeatable!
So? I was too, until they sent me here and tried to wipe Amy's memory. It was a clever munchkin around immortality, I'll give them that... but now that we have Darkrai, we can do the same to you. It's over. You're done. You need to leave.

Here's what you're going to do. You're going to free my daughter's friend. I want him normal, got it? Safe and healthy... just as he was before. After that, you're to leave forever. Scramble off to the Badlands, I don't care. It doesn't matter to me. And I want these cultists here cured, too.

... ... ...
Do it. Now, or else.
...you're a fool. Fine. I'll do it. But you'll regret this, I promise.

Damian is cured!

What... what happened?
You'll regret this, Adam. You're not the Augur any more, remember that.

You're Damian, right? The trainer from Telnor Town? I'll take care of him, Amy. He seems to be a bit out of it. I'm so glad you were able to catch Darkrai. I'm not sure how I would have gotten out of that one otherwise.

:blush:

I wish I could have guided you along your journey. I shouldn't have let Jaern and Persephone separate us like that. But somehow, even without me, you've grown into twice the trainer I could have ever been.

Listen, I'm going to keep your friend here for the next little while, just to make sure he's okay. I'll have him call you when he's feeling a bit better, promise. So keep your phone on!

And just like that, the crisis is over.

But before we end this update, we still have some unfinished business.

That chef did say we'd find a badge collector "in our dreams". He didn't realize just how literally true it was.

to.

The trading sequence is very nearly finished. The scientist gives us our ultimate reward, so we'll drop by the next time we're in the area.

And that's enough of that for now!

1. Defeat the Timeless
  2. Explore the Holon Region
  3. The Hunt for Taen
  4. Missingno
  5. Relic Song
  6. Deyraan Town
  7. Cured Damian
  8. The Parcel
  9. "One of you is close to someone who needs help. Find this person fast."
  10. The Finale

We've finished half of the postgame sidequests! Unless anyone has any objections, then next time we're going to be continuing the Hunt for Taen in No Man's Land, the liminal space between regions. Then after that will be helping the kid in Deyraan Town.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

It's probably for the best. I think at this point of Percy actually caught up with Darkrai, it'd just bite her dumb head off.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Poor Persephone, she exists to get dunked on.

Or well, it's what I'd say if she didn't bring all of this on herself.

Also I expected the Darkrai-Damian skip to be something the game was built around but no, it looks like a very clear glitch. That's bad.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nah, I like to think it would just create a dream restraining order, then have some dream Officer Jennys (Jennies?) arrest her and put her into dream jail for violating the restraining order.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I expected the Darkrai-Damian skip to be something the game was built around but no, it looks like a very clear glitch. That's bad.

The game literally points out in the cutscene that you have Darkrai so fighting is pointless. That seems very intentional to me.

It even calls out that you could do to Malde what Persephone and Jaern do as the instigating incident of the game with it!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dragonatrix posted:

The game literally points out in the cutscene that you have Darkrai so fighting is pointless. That seems very intentional to me.

It even calls out that you could do to Malde what Persephone and Jaern do as the instigating incident of the game with it!

It jumps from "fight's about to start" to "villain shocked that he can, actually, lose" with nothing in the middle. It absolutely feels like there was something there that got skipped and it reads really awkwardly.

Admittedly, I guess that dad did fight and win or something, but it's pretty messy overall and looks extremely weird.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Oh, that was clearly awkward presentation on DoubleNegative's part. The screenshot he showed comes from a few lines later - you can see it repeated in the dialogue.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Nope! :v: I screenshotted and transcribed everything exactly as it came across in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOiwy4YJVwE&feature=youtu.be

In fact, I even chopped out this ~1min 20 sec section to demonstrate that if anything my presentation added clarity to an otherwise unclear scene. Also I have no idea why the audio is hissing but whatever. It doesn't matter.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Aw, hi Damian. Uh, you kind of missed a lot. I'm sad we didn't see the fight with him, but really it does make sense and from a storytelling point of view I'm quite pleased that someone finally acknowledged when we possess an invincible god-monster way beyond the level of any regular team.

Persephone took that surprisingly well, honestly. I assume the game is saving the real tantrums for Taen :allears:

I also like that one cultist who was all like 'I just joined because I think Darkrai's neat, I dun' wanna bother him or nothin'.' :3:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Dad giving you praise was really :kimchi: Also drat they must have that fancy 5G stuff if Damien can get a phonecall from your own dreamstate to you in reality.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
the deoxys virus stuff remains bad but your dad being nice is good

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Huh. So I think you got a glitch or something, because I caught Darkrai in my playthrough and still got the Damian fight.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the Deoxys thing kind of went nowhere, so I think they decided they had too many things going on but it was too late to remove the plotline so it just... petered out.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Shame about the skipped bossfight, but hey we got to dunk on Persephone again so all is well.
still can't get over how ridiculous her breasts look in the outfit

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

the Deoxys thing kind of went nowhere, so I think they decided they had too many things going on but it was too late to remove the plotline so it just... petered out.

I don't know, it seemed to be a fairly complete storyline. Hell, it was even tied into another storyline to give a reason for the mass-innoculations that led to brainwashing. It's just that what we thought it was going to end up as, and wat it actually was are two different things.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
No one gonna mention that Darkrai spends his time hanging out in a cute little cottage :3:?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Zakrelo posted:

No one gonna mention that Darkrai spends his time hanging out in a cute little cottage :3:?

Might be a reference to his event in DPP where you go into an abandoned cottage/hotel in Canalave once you get the event ticket.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Look, just because it's an avatar of nightmares doesn't mean it can't enjoy a quiet weekend in the countryside watching birds and bees frolicking in the garden.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

FoolyCharged posted:

Look, just because it's an avatar of nightmares doesn't mean it can't enjoy a quiet weekend at Bernie's.

ftfy

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Look, just because it's an avatar of nightmares doesn't mean it can't enjoy a quiet weekend in the countryside watching birds and bees frolicking in the garden.

Now I'm a little sad that his cottage doesn't have a wheat field behind it, or a nearby stream full of fish. Its a Discworld joke

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I've made some heavy edits to the OP. I used the title screens that I discovered a while back as chapter dividers. But that leaves me with a minor problem: I don't have anything to delineate the postgame chapters. So I'm gonna ask you all for your input: what would be a good way to separate them?

My inclination is to divide them by sidequest, but then I'm still left with the "how do I visually represent Relic Song vs Exploring Holon?" question.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I suppose the divider/header for the Relic Song arc ought to be an image of Delta Meloetta.

Maybe the player character or Professor Maple for Exploring Holon? I don't know if there's any decent official art anywhere.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Black Robe posted:

I suppose the divider/header for the Relic Song arc ought to be an image of Delta Meloetta.

Maybe the player character or Professor Maple for Exploring Holon? I don't know if there's any decent official art anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

That more than works