Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I rarely have people trying to fight threat from me, but I still see random provokes/ultimatums for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My first tank this morning was a familiar dungeon, Castrum Abania, at 69 (nice). Took 25 minutes to get to the last boss whereupon the group broke after one wipe because the healer panicked and the samurai couldn't find their LB2

100% not my fault but it triggers the "DPS is loving simple you troglodytes let me show you how its done :argh:" part of my brain, and so the show continues :v:

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Conversely, if no one else is owning up to tanking, say you are new, that you will try since no one else is and go for it. I will thank you for not having to sit around for 5m because no one even wants to try.

Had a doom train run where both tanks, geared to the teeth refused to even pop tank stance. They pulled and both backed off trying to get the other to own up. Queue the entire fight of the boss ping ponging between some of the DPS as we all mashed our dumps as much as possible.

I had to devote all my Third Eyes to Merciful eyes and still didn’t help. Constantly saved by transitions and healers.

Also if in a raid keep an eye out for adds during a boss and at least maybe try to OT them if no one else is.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I rarely have people trying to fight threat from me, but I still see random provokes/ultimatums for no reason.

They might be shirk feeding you?

I feel like vast majority of tanks STILL don't get how those skills work though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

TooManyUzukis posted:

I feel like vast majority of tanks STILL don't get how those skills work though.

I thought I did but I hear rumblings that they all might have changed in the last year or something?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TooManyUzukis posted:

Possibly but I don't think that works in alliances. I notice the effect in trials/raids though, as rare as they are.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All of this tank talk has me really itching to keep leveling DRK and also to find out more about Gunbreaker's actual gameplay. I guess since DRK is apparently getting a lot of changes, too, it might be better to hold off on committing too much to it until I know more and finally also level that healing job I really want to level (y'know, once I can pick one) but I'm reasonably sure it'll be cool and fun after a rework.

Kaubocks posted:

the annoying thing about actually wanting to tank alliance raids is that's the only queue that's longer for tanks and i will always get two other idiot tanks sitting in tank stance fighting over aggro

I've actually never queued for an alliance raid solo and I always assumed DPS queues would be monstrously long for them. It's surprising that it's the tank queue that's the longest.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's because nobody actually wants to tank for 24 mans when they're so easy to mindlessly dps. While they're also pretty easy to mindlessly tank, you also get three times as many people yelling at you if you screw up so tank anxiety++ I guess.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
And there are always cases where a tank would pull, and then die 15 seconds later because they hadn't received a single heal.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

I've actually never queued for an alliance raid solo and I always assumed DPS queues would be monstrously long for them. It's surprising that it's the tank queue that's the longest.

whereas something like leveling needs 1 tank per 2 dps, ADR needs 3 tanks compared to 15 dps

while ADR's adventurer in need is usually healer it's not uncommon to see dps, but rare to see tank

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

And there are always cases where a tank would pull, and then die 15 seconds later because they hadn't received a single heal.

Yuuuup. I don't mind tanking in 24p by itself, I mind this instead. Even got votekicked one time by having the audacity to ask "seriously?" after I watched myself slowly die over a minute. Thankfully, DPS queues for ARR tend to be reasonable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well maybe I should finally get off my rear end and do the Ivalice stuff then, given what a huge Ivalice fan I am. I kept shying away because there were other things to do and I assumed the DPS queue would be hours long or some poo poo.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Neither of these is what the raiding community calls midcore. This is casual raiding.

To me casual is the people who just do normal, but that’s a matter of my opinion. The point is more that savage isn’t for hardcore raiders only by any means.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i beat the game

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jose Valasquez posted:

Neither of these is what the raiding community calls midcore. This is casual raiding.

it's like driving on the highway

everyone who clears slower than me is casual trash, everyone who clears faster than me are hardcore lunatics who need to get a new hobby

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Phone posted:

i beat the game

gently caress youuuuuuuuuuu i'm still trying to get her :(

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’ve had Khorchi on my squad waiting list for like a year. I was thinking of just sending her away since I don’t really care about squadrons. What’s so special about her?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I’ve had Khorchi on my squad waiting list for like a year. I was thinking of just sending her away since I don’t really care about squadrons. What’s so special about her?

She's a rad pirate Au Ra lady and she's a huge pain in the rear end to get to show up at all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's so much stuff to do in FFXIV that I haven't even touched despite playing on and off since 2.0 and always having at least one job at max level, it's so overwhelming. I've barely leveled my retainer at all, I still have a couple quests to go to even unlock squadrons, I've never crafted anything, barely touched any kind of raid...

I guess that's what happens when you mostly come back for like two or three months at a time when a new expansion launches but still. I should just jump in head-first and enjoy, probably.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Tried doing Moogle King extreme for the first time last night and that was awful

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I still feel like I won the lottery with sqaudron members when I got this guy as one of my first recruits:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

dolphinbomb posted:

I still feel like I won the lottery with sqaudron members when I got this guy as one of my first recruits:

I got him early as well, he's the only non-cat/dragongirl allowed in my squad

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

To me casual is the people who just do normal, but that’s a matter of my opinion. The point is more that savage isn’t for hardcore raiders only by any means.

To me these are roughly the tiers:

filthy casuals -> Don't do savage at all. Should be banned from the game and thrown in prison.
casuals -> Do some savage PF groups or 1/2 nights a week with a static, maybe they clear everything before the next tier comes out but probably not
midcore -> 2-3 nights a week, clear savage within the patch it comes out or shortly after the midcycle patch. On the higher end of the range they might work on and clear ultimates
hardcore -> Clear savage within weeks, clear ultimates
super hardcore -> Race for world firsts

There are outliers, but when I see recruitment posts that seems to be more or less how people use the terms

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Jose Valasquez posted:

filthy casuals -> Don't do savage at all. Should be banned from the game and thrown in prison.
casuals -> Do some savage PF groups or 1/2 nights a week with a static, maybe they clear everything before the next tier comes out but probably not
midcore -> 2-3 nights a week, clear savage within the patch it comes out or shortly after the midcycle patch. On the higher end of the range they might work on and clear ultimates

There are outliers, but when I see recruitment posts that seems to be more or less how people use the terms

you can pry my filthy casual ways from my cold, dead hands. come get some, nerd

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Sorry, I can't possibly sign up for a three times weekly static at the rate I'm levelling Crafters

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CeallaSo posted:

you can pry my filthy casual ways from my cold, dead hands. come get some, nerd
This, who has that kind of time

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't even know what PF is

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jose Valasquez posted:

yikes

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

imo if you haven’t cleared o12s before shadowbringers then when you try to log on yoship should appear, chastise you for your failure, then forcefully fantasia you into a duskwight

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I just...how does your definition of casual include a static at all? At that point you're talking about scheduling at least one night a week for [videogame]. You'd have to tell people you know in real life "I have to [play videogame] that night, can't make it to your concert." You'd have to actively say "oh I'm not free Tuesday, that's the day when my catgirl dies repeatedly to a scary clown."

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Your second lowest point on that list is the point at which strangers think you have a problem.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Over There posted:

I don't even know what PF is

the thing you use a couple times a week to finish your story book for the tiny catgirl

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

imo if you haven’t cleared o12s before shadowbringers then when you try to log on yoship should appear, chastise you for your failure, then forcefully fantasia you into a duskwight

:smaug: There's nothing you can do to me that I haven't already done myself.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Impermanent posted:

I just...how does your definition of casual include a static at all? At that point you're talking about scheduling at least one night a week for [videogame]. You'd have to tell people you know in real life "I have to [play videogame] that night, can't make it to your concert." You'd have to actively say "oh I'm not free Tuesday, that's the day when my catgirl dies repeatedly to a scary clown."

you're casual until you have to cancel plans for the game, after which your midcore license gets mailed to you

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

*tapping side of head* don’t have to cancel plans if you never had any in the first place

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The real pro move is scheduling two weeks off of work for a new expac but then not being able to play half the time due to maintenance/bugs.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Welp, I just had my first random leveling roulette as a healer that I couldn't drag my team through kicking and screaming. I think it may be the first time I actually dropped out of a group and ate the penalty. After failing in every possible way against every pull of trash mobs in the first two levels of Cutter's Cry I had a vision of the Chimera at the end and noped right out of there. I kind of feel bad for the next queued up healer who is gonna be like 'ooo, a dungeon already in process! yay!'.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I kind of feel bad for the next queued up healer who is gonna be like 'ooo, a dungeon already in process! yay!'.

I don't think any healer or tank ever has that reaction because they probably know how high the bar of badness is for a group to actually kick a non-DPS role is, meaning that most likely whoever they just replaced left on their own.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I kind of feel bad for the next queued up healer who is gonna be like 'ooo, a dungeon already in process! yay!'.

There's a reason I have "join in progress" turned off.

And that reason was the White Mage in Bardam's Mettle who only used medica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

the thing you use a couple times a week to finish your story book for the tiny catgirl

oh do you mean the book full of solo ex challenges cos queuing for things is lame when you can just kill it by yourself?