Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

As a classic said, I wish all brands were people so they had a neck and that I had my hands on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bike tory posted:

That's horrific, fortunately they can drug people now.

I worked at a nursing home for about a year. The dementia ward was depressing but not the worst part, most of the people in the dementia ward were too far gone to realise their situation. One couple mistook each other for their dead spouses and used to sit hand in hand with beautiful smiles on their faces. The slightly more aware ones used to try and trick the door code out of me every time, usually with innocuous sounding requests: "the nurse asked me to pop out to the shop for something, would you mind opening the door" etc. The worst bit was when they'd get disorientated and scared, usually because they'd had a particular lucid moment

The worst part of the nursing home though was the terminal hospital where they provided palliative care to people who were beyond saving. Most people were only there for a week or so, but there were three women who had been there for years, in pain, unable to do anything for themselves, just waiting to die. Two of them were never visited by anyone at all and used to just spend most of their time awaie wailing and crying.

Nothing has convinced me more of our need for euthanasia than my experience there

This right here is the greatest fear I have in life.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

fan fact, my mom works with the dad of that kid and says they can't stop him from trying to run over people or pets with it.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1114251202450083840?s=19 this is real loving intensely dystopian

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Mordor She Wrote posted:

fan fact, my mom works with the dad of that kid and says they can't stop him from trying to run over people or pets with it.

spine graft into the console of an Abrams tank and send him off to war

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

An instagram account called PreachersNSneakers is matching Megachurch pastors to the wildly expensive sneakers they're wearing:

High end sneakers are the dumbest fashion trend since their low production volumes/perceived exclusivity is literally the only thing that makes them expensive. They’re still made in the exact same sweatshops in China and Vietnam out of the same poo poo materials as any other pair of Nikes or Adidas.

The only exception to this are the New Balance 9xx series, which use decent leather and are union-made in the US.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Welcome to conspicuous consumption, where the only thing that matters is spending money, and getting corresponding value in exchange for your expense is considered gauche

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

I almost wish I was in marketing just to see what kind of crazy poo poo I could get away with.

"What if uhhh... we said Subway was the victim of a hate crime?"

i'd volunteer to commit it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rock My Socks! posted:

The only exception to this are the New Balance 9xx series, which use decent leather and are union-made in the US.

new balance is dad-fash

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

lancemantis posted:

im so glad we live in a world where we can just black hole our elderly family members now instead of taking care of them

this, but unironically

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's cool that boomers came up with facilities to shuffle their parents into after kicking them out of their homes and are now going to suffer the same fate from their children that they also kicked out of their homes

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's cool that boomers came up with facilities to shuffle their parents into after kicking them out of their homes and are now going to suffer the same fate from their children that they also kicked out of their homes

my wife is a nurse and knows first hand the horrors that go on there. her dad, a mega-rascist and all around rear end in a top hat boomer, had to rehab at a nursing home after his brain exploded. now he has no short term memory and has even less of a filter. if his wife dies before he does, we inherit a permanently disabled chud with zero filter dropping slurs all day. stupid loving nursing homes suck so bad that my wife cant in good conscience send her dad to one. please, mil, dont die first

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's even better that they made the choice to do it to their parents, but hosed over the economy enough that their own kids can't even choose to save them if they wanted to lol

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

imagine being this person and not even thinking about doing activism or helping out a community center or whatever because your loving capitalist brainrot prevents you from thinking of others :psyduck:

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

imagine being this person and not even thinking about doing activism or helping out a community center or whatever because your loving capitalist brainrot prevents you from thinking of others :psyduck:

The rich desperately want to be a minority group you can sympathize with.

Hahaha

E: poo poo I meant "people of means"

Tiberius Christ has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Apr 6, 2019

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my wife once did a service rotation out in middle of nowheresville louisiana at this state asylum. they have a cemetery on the grounds with thousands of nameless graves because back then they just couldn't communicate with a lotta their patients, even to learn their names; it's one of the more famous "haunted places" in louisiana

anyway, it now operates at a fraction of the capacity of what it used to, so as a result some of the older buildings have been repurposed into dormitories for med student rotations and whatnot, one of which is where my wife was put up. she sent me pictures of the basement where they still have manacles set into the walls, because that's just how they dealt with patients back then before the advent of neuroleptics. like there are probably still people alive that remember this

my dad worked an asylum in the sixties and there was a man with persistent indentations on his ankles from being manacled all day before they reformed the asylum.

abuse was still ridiculous, one orderly would wake up one patient by banging on his beadframe with a broomhandle (beating stick) during bed checks, so the patient hid a screwdriver in his bedframe and stabbed him lol

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Tiberius Christ posted:

The rich desperately want to be a minority group you can sympathize with.

Hahaha

E: poo poo I meant "people of means"

I mean capitalism does harm even them...by reducing them into figures less than human, barren of a soul, and in a transitional state even they can acknowledge the change (give it a few years before that guy is totally fine)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My work changed out attendance system and we had the official announcement today at our morning meeting. Now we have 1/4 points if you're anywhere between 1 second and 5 minutes late.

My regional manager sat in on the meeting today and said that means you can be late up to 40 times a year now without costing you your job. Which means you can afford to call off when sick. Apparently the last time he was at our facility he got sick and he just wanted us to know we had more wiggle room now for call offs. When three of us pointed out that we literally can't afford to call off because we don't have sick time and have bills he got super defensive and changed the topic.

:capitalism:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

JudgeX posted:

abuse was still ridiculous, one orderly would wake up one patient by banging on his beadframe with a broomhandle (beating stick) during bed checks, so the patient hid a screwdriver in his bedframe and stabbed him lol

lol, owned

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I think they were applauding the people coming out on the stage at the end, it sounded to me like some of them were laughing about it.

STAPLES *galaxy explosion*

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

My work changed out attendance system and we had the official announcement today at our morning meeting. Now we have 1/4 points if you're anywhere between 1 second and 5 minutes late.

My regional manager sat in on the meeting today and said that means you can be late up to 40 times a year now without costing you your job. Which means you can afford to call off when sick. Apparently the last time he was at our facility he got sick and he just wanted us to know we had more wiggle room now for call offs. When three of us pointed out that we literally can't afford to call off because we don't have sick time and have bills he got super defensive and changed the topic.

:capitalism:

i recently had someone in HR tell me that despite the harsh attendance point policy they dont actually have any plans on what to do with employees who get snowed in, so I'm assuming that even if we get a full blizzard next year they're just gonna fire people left and right. it's one of those places where you get penalized for requesting a day off and then call out if you get scheduled anyway

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Now they're taking authentic feelings away from us :negative:

THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO. BUY THE BRANDS.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

just imagine explaining this to someone born before the 1980’s

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I was born before the 80s and I assure you the horror is even more intense.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've never eaten a steak um

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was born in 1982 and distinctly remember being 18 years old (2000) and thinking I would die before 30 from a war because there was no way the current economic system was sustainable.

Dwaggy
Jan 6, 2005

hmmm... yes...

at the end twitter is going to become nothing but brands talking to brands, all watched over by paid-for botnet followers of loving grace

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Siljmonster posted:

I've never eaten a steak um

They're cheap cheesesteak meat slices, frozen and ready to fry up.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Dwaggy posted:

at the end twitter is going to become nothing but brands talking to brands, all watched over by paid-for botnet followers of loving grace

it will be preserved by the future gay space communist society as a preserve, for historical interest

brands, now unable to survive in the wild, will frolic, free and woke, never knowing that there are no sales numbers to inflate

Dwaggy
Jan 6, 2005

hmmm... yes...

Hodgepodge posted:

it will be preserved by the future gay space communist society as a preserve, for historical interest

brands, now unable to survive in the wild, will frolic, free and woke, never knowing that there are no sales numbers to inflate

this unpublished ian m banks novel is pretty weird, but i like it

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

I was born in 1982 and distinctly remember being 18 years old (2000) and thinking I would die before 30 from a war because there was no way the current economic system was sustainable.

well good news we're pulling the trigger on the calthate gun right to the planets head so your mostly right

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Mark Fisher was right to hang himself, as well as about most everything else. We're all hosed, thanks for showing me the light steak-ums. God is dead, and the only thing to replace it is brands.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

Now they're taking authentic feelings away from us :negative:

Carefully curated authentic™ feelings

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

T-man posted:

Mark Fisher was right to hang himself, as well as about most everything else. We're all hosed, thanks for showing me the light steak-ums. God is dead, and the only thing to replace it is brands.

God always was a brand anyway.

There's no escaping Hell Dimension.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MAKE ENDS MEAT.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
https://www.propublica.org/article/ultrawealthy-taxes-irs-internal-revenue-service-global-high-wealth-audits

This obviously isn't news to anyone here, but it's a good overview of one particular case. The Gilded Age 2.0 sure is great, where households making a joint $100k pay almost ten times the percentage of their income as households making $100m.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

https://www.propublica.org/article/ultrawealthy-taxes-irs-internal-revenue-service-global-high-wealth-audits

This obviously isn't news to anyone here, but it's a good overview of one particular case. The Gilded Age 2.0 sure is great, where households making a joint $100k pay almost ten times the percentage of their income as households making $100m.

Duh, of course they do, you gotta be smart and good with money to make that much money!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Just had a great idea for economic stimulus.

BRB, firing up the barbie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

GILLETOTINE the class equalizer brought to you by Gillette’s Mach3 technology!!!