Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Play posted:

I knew this was coming but wow. That is majorly hosed up

I ended up getting just a short sleeved t-shirt with the hotshots logo. The other stuff was still a bit pricey and my girlfriend would've made fun of me for spending that much money on gear for a vanity niche sports league that has already collapsed.

I went to dicks to try and grab some but they'd already gotten rid of any evidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Darth Brooks posted:

I wouldn't mind having some of those Topps cards. I still have my NFLEurope cards from Pro Set.

You need a group of owners because any league you start is going to bleed money right off the bat. If it's one owner, they that bleeding is times ten.

I don't hold out a lot of hope for the XFL.

I have XFL cards back home.

The NFL as a brand is actually bigger than the NFL as a money making business enterprise. I mean it was a "Non-Profit" tax wise for about 60 years or so. They really do rely on state and local governments granting them tax breaks, tax increases to fund stadiums. Not to mention many other things so it doesn't go underwater.

With the XFL? I do and I don't. It depends on how Vince manages the league. He has experience in this particular business. But I imagine a roster of wrestlers is rather different than managing multiple franchises.

I'd feel much more confident if I would open the paper one day to see "Vince McMahon to own NY/NJ franchise. Mark Cuban to own team in Dallas, Rush Limbaugh/Gang of Oil Barons* to run St. Louis..." rather than the current set up.

That annnd...TV contracts, Sponsorship deals (National AND Local), and playing politics with various local governments would give it a chance. (I morally oppose the last one but you have to play to win, yes?).

*Not endorsing Limbaugh. Just was placing a hypothetical guy who's attempted to own an NFL team before.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Yeah, you need eight billionaires who really want to own football teams. In 1959 you had twelve NFL teams and there were no teams open to buy. Now there's thirty two and finding a new owner when a team opens up is sometimes problematic.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Hits just keep coming

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1114150356022366208?s=19

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
This Dundon guy must think he has the inside track on being president in a decade or so now.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Garrett Gilbert to the Browns

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

XFL will have no athletes on the roster, but instead independent contractors who are liable for their own brain insurance

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

And a twist of irony their brain is gone to agree to those terms on the contract.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Colostomy Bag posted:

And a twist of irony their brain is gone to agree to those terms on the contract.

if you literally have no career prospects but athletics its amazingly easy to be convinced to give up even basic labor rights in exchange for a shot at a career (see: the NCAA)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

iwentdoodie posted:

I went to dicks to try and grab some but they'd already gotten rid of any evidence

Yeah I had to use the online store. No clue if there's even a Dick's around here. Probably is

I was a bit confused, like how can a guy already be suspended when he hasn't even joined a team yet?

But:

quote:

He previously entered the NFL in 2016 as an undrafted free agent out of New Mexico with the Minnesota Vikings. Pressley then spent time with the Green Bay Packers, Atlanta Falcons, Jacksonville Jaguars and New York Giants before joining the AAF.

So he must've gotten arrested at some point over the break or something

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I hope NFL players take some initiative and help out the injured AAF guys but that would take an actual sense of unity and loving LOL

The NFLPA can't even take care of its own players

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Darth Brooks posted:

Yeah, you need eight billionaires who really want to own football teams. In 1959 you had twelve NFL teams and there were no teams open to buy. Now there's thirty two and finding a new owner when a team opens up is sometimes problematic.

Yeah, this is not a minor point. The NFL grew slowly from corporate sponsored community teams to professional sports over the span of a CENTURY.

Trying to do it in 3 years no matter how many times you chant "were not competing with the NFL!" as a protective ward will never work.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Craig how you gonna get fired on your day off

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Yeah, this is not a minor point. The NFL grew slowly from corporate sponsored community teams to professional sports over the span of a CENTURY.

Trying to do it in 3 years no matter how many times you chant "were not competing with the NFL!" as a protective ward will never work.

The XFL was very much designed to compete with the NFL. Ebersol and McMahon was using them as "replacement" for NBC. This was done after NBC lost the rights to the AFC to CBS.

The USFL was insanely aggressive in signing talent away from the NFL. Hindsight? It was insane. The past 3 Heisman winners were in that league. They signed Jim Kelly away from Buffalo, They got Steve Young to play in that league.

You really do need some desperate parties involved honestly. People who couldn't get in the NFL "Old Boys Club" as owners, etc.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

CBS replaced that AAF game scheduled in the pre-Final Four slot with what looks like some tournament history time-fillers. Was still there a day or two ago when I went to record the Auburn game.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
AAF goes under: Inside the sudden collapse of the Alliance of American Football

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I really hope all the employees, especially players were able to steal as much poo poo as humanly possible after this all went down.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1114279401296998403

Sports are not a place to make money ladies and gentleman.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’m excited for the lawsuit. It even 10% of what is being claimed is true then drat we’re in for awesome discovery documents

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Unless you don't have to pay labor then bathe in the money.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

FuzzySkinner posted:

How do you not ask for cash up front for a start up football league lease

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

FuzzySkinner posted:

From the article posted:

Apparently, the school never sent an invoice to the team.

Big yikes.

EDIT:

oldskool posted:

i mean it probably wouldn't have been paid anyway

Possibly but at the very least UCF would've put themselves in line-assuming this "suspension" means the league is done for good-as creditors. Since it was rent, they would've put themselves fairly up high in the list of creditors to be paid.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 6, 2019

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

i mean it probably wouldn't have been paid anyway

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Certainly would have been paid out before trivial poo poo like, you know, players' medical bills for injuries sustained on the job. That's maybe the most hosed up and america.txt part of this whole fiasco.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

The XFL was very much designed to compete with the NFL. Ebersol and McMahon was using them as "replacement" for NBC. This was done after NBC lost the rights to the AFC to CBS.

The USFL was insanely aggressive in signing talent away from the NFL. Hindsight? It was insane. The past 3 Heisman winners were in that league. They signed Jim Kelly away from Buffalo, They got Steve Young to play in that league.

You really do need some desperate parties involved honestly. People who couldn't get in the NFL "Old Boys Club" as owners, etc.

None of them will ever be quite as aggressive as the Al Davis-run AFL, although the USFL certainly came close.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Reading up on the USFL makes you want to slap someone. They had a plan, secure NFL sized stadiums, get a TV contract and control costs. The idiots started ignoring the salary cap and threw away TV contracts that would have paid their way just so they could try and get into a dick waving contest with the NFL.

I'm rather amazed that the AAF seems to have been started with no money in the bank. They got a lot of stuff right but their business plan seems to have been Build league, ??????, Profit.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Here's your late Friday night news dump

https://twitter.com/TheAAF/status/1114361099263070209?s=19

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Is the social media person assuming they still have a paycheck or is the rich guy just doing it himself

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Darth Brooks posted:

Reading up on the USFL makes you want to slap someone. They had a plan, secure NFL sized stadiums, get a TV contract and control costs. The idiots started ignoring the salary cap and threw away TV contracts that would have paid their way just so they could try and get into a dick waving contest with the NFL.

I'm rather amazed that the AAF seems to have been started with no money in the bank. They got a lot of stuff right but their business plan seems to have been Build league, ??????, Profit.

Much like how I believe that we would be much better in a world where George W. Bush is known as being owner of the Texas Rangers? I really believe that the current sitting President would have been better in a world where he owned the Generals/kept them in the spring. (perhaps at the moment? He's owning the Baltimore Stars or something.)

He helped Lawrence Taylor get PAID by the way. (The Giants were underpaying his services MASSIVELY)

The TV Contract part of the conversation is the most important by the way. I think overpaying the players/going HARD after NFL bound talent made them legitimate. Had they not? I think they would have folded rather quickly.

That's how they scared the NFL most of all being honest.

Jason Sextro posted:

None of them will ever be quite as aggressive as the Al Davis-run AFL, although the USFL certainly came close.

This is indeed true. The entire history of the AFL being as successful as it was is..incredible.

A truly invovative league that really pushed football into the modern age.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
At the very least I hope that the NFL will put in place some of the cool things the AAF did like letting us see how reviews work, the different camera angles that let you see the plays develop and the side by side commercials that didn’t interrupt gameplay as much. I also liked the AAF’s OT rules as well. I’d hate to see all of that go to waste when it got a lot of positive feedback.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the fleet and commanders are coming to the NFL

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Morby posted:

At the very least I hope that the NFL will put in place some of the cool things the AAF did like letting us see how reviews work, the different camera angles that let you see the plays develop and the side by side commercials that didn’t interrupt gameplay as much. I also liked the AAF’s OT rules as well. I’d hate to see all of that go to waste when it got a lot of positive feedback.

The "each team gets the ball once but that's it" seems to be a good compromise between both teams playing offense and looking out for player safety by not having multiple OTs like college. I haven't checked but I would expect the current 10 minute period increased the amount of "1-possession per team in OT"' anyway.

Maybe tweak the AAF OT a bit--start from the 25 like college, or allow FGs but they are all automatically 50 yards or more.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Picked up a New Era Legends cap from Dicks for 8 bucks lol

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

Picked up a New Era Legends cap from Dicks for 8 bucks lol

I just checked the AAF site and the Starter jackets are still $160. A team branded football is $120. Jerseys start at, like, $60.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Morby posted:

I just checked the AAF site and the Starter jackets are still $160. A team branded football is $120. Jerseys start at, like, $60.

No employees left to mark down.

poo poo, I wonder if they're even shipping orders.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Darth Brooks posted:

It's almost like Trump is an awful businessman in every way possible but because he has money he can just repeatedly fail upward forever?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Damontre Moore of the Fleet signed with the 49ers. :unsmith:

#OneHandOnDeck

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The phrase "Trent Richardson is now free to sign with an NFL team" is giving me the giggles

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

GD_American posted:

The phrase "Trent Richardson is now free to sign with an NFL team" is giving me the giggles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

If any team has a hole at RB, he would certainly miss it