Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BillyC posted:

i probably deserve it so good on her

The bees would probably be less annoying and 'drone' less than my coworkers :D, who's with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Phlegmish posted:

The bees would probably be less annoying and 'drone' less than my coworkers :D, who's with me

At least bees make honey to put in my tea. My good for nothing coworkers don't do anything!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Brewmaster posted:

If anyone ever wondered why these forums are dying I'd like enter the last 3 pages as exhibit A.

Counterpoint: Last time I remember these arguments happening was around the peak of these forums' activity. I submit that the lack of pages like the last 3 are responsible for these forums' deadness and gayness :colbert:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hey guys what's 9 + 10

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Not much, what's up with you?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

bike tory posted:

Hey guys what's 9 + 10

0x13

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

bike tory posted:

Hey guys what's 9 + 10

ligma balls lmfao

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

Hey guys what's 9 + 10

a big fat hen.gggggg...

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hell yeas

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

If she's at my office keeping bees, then who's out there burning Shireen at the stake and resurrecting Jon Snow?!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If she's at my office keeping bees, then who's out there burning Shireen at the stake and resurrecting Jon Snow?!

Interchangible apiarists

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Catpain Slack posted:

I'm not mathematically eloquent enough to describe what I'm trying to say here, but this is the essence of it https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-prove-9-99999-10

While that calculation might illustrate the point well, as an actual proof it's worthless.

quote:

it is unclear that 0.9¯¯¯ does indeed represent a real number, without which it is unjustified to represent this by a symbol x∈R. Of course, carrying out any algebraic operation is therefore meaningless!

This man is a moron.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Sagebrush posted:

"would a plane take off if a wizard projected an impenetrable force field in front of it?"

Legit want to know the answer to this questions tia

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Legit want to know the answer to this questions tia

No unless the pilot is Harry Potter then yes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bet she's a huge hit on International Bring a poo poo Ton of Bees to Work Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYtXuBN1Hvc

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

x = 0,ggg...
70x = g,ggg...
gx = g
x = 7

math is different since i was in school

I don't think you've ever been to any sort of school :smugmrgw:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah but THIS woman will put bees in your orifice.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

BEADS

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Fister's not on board.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

:forkbomb:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Azhais posted:

I see you've never used Fortran

I learned about how certain programming languages deal with numbers recently and it blew my loving mind.

0.1 + 0.2 returns 0.30000000000000004

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Holy poo poo computers are stupid. We invented the fuckers to do two things, calculate numbers and beat nazis, and today they can't do either one

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Memento posted:

I learned about how certain programming languages deal with numbers recently and it blew my loving mind.

0.1 + 0.2 returns 0.30000000000000004

Computer science is really interesting at a low level because of all the random poo poo they have to do to get numbers to actually work in the computer. It's stuff that most people never have to think about but programmers have to deal with constantly.

2,000,000,000 + 2,000,000,000 = -294,967,296

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RandomFerret posted:

Holy poo poo computers are stupid.

<:mad:>

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

RandomFerret posted:

We invented the fuckers to do two things, calculate numbers and beat nazis, and today they can't do either one

uhhh.. IBM was not using the earliest computers to beat nazis, i can tell you that much.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BEES!?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Computer science is really interesting at a low level because of all the random poo poo they have to do to get numbers to actually work in the computer. It's stuff that most people never have to think about but programmers have to deal with constantly.

2,000,000,000 + 2,000,000,000 = -294,967,296

Yeah, a vast number of your favourite computer programs have bits in them which is basically these numbers are "equal or close enough" due to them both being floating point numbers so they both show up as 3 but one's 3.00000000000002 and the other's 2.99999999999994 due to the arcane pathways of how they ended up with those values

Most systems can do integers correctly, in that 1 + 2 will equal 3, but anything between 1 and 0 is either a best-guess approximation or not actually that value in the back-end

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah, integers are easy because you can just count in binary but floating point numbers are basically black magic. Most of the time they're firmly in the territory of "good enough" and they operate fast so they get used a lot.

For stuff like money decimal types are typically used which actually do have precision but are way slower than floats.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
FP math can be extremely wonky even in areas you might take for granted, like equality tests or density of possible values in the range. Oh look here's a 73 page article titled "What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic"
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html

Anyway,

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I didn't think it was possible, but now I like him even more

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When the hell has Dick ever been another name for Peter? I always thought it was shorthand for Richard or something.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

RareAcumen posted:

When the hell has Dick ever been another name for Peter? I always thought it was shorthand for Richard or something.

"Peter" is slang for "penis".

e: "Dick" also is slang for "penis".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SpacePig posted:

"Peter" is slang for "penis".

e: "Dick" also is slang for "penis".

Thus, by the transitive property of dick jokes...

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For stuff like money decimal types are typically used which actually do have precision but are way slower than floats.

"What do you mean we shouldn't use floats, they're so much faster!" -bitcoin exchanges

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Thus, by the transitive property of dick jokes...
The property that men and women can both have dick jokes. :hai:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Look at this stuff