Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Weird, I didn't hear about any other SA mods dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Brenda from Facebook replied to the eulogy post that while he was evidently awful she still feels for his mom

Well good news Brenda, she killed herself too awhile back

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

Brenda from Facebook replied to the eulogy post that while he was evidently awful she still feels for his mom

Wow. Just wow

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thoughts and stares.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

LingcodKilla posted:

Wow. Just wow

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

maffew buildings posted:

moms knew!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Thoughts and stares.

Mods namechange please.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah MARPOL annex VI is killing off anything that doesn’t run on diesel, in practice. Scrubbers don’t really work yet.

It’s going to gently caress up a lot of things.

I feel like I burn more ulsfo than hfo these days, running from one eca to another lol

I guess it's almost as pricy as diesel and scarce in the States tho so bad for a steamer

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

What is a goat locker? A place to temporarily store school goats? Are they like some sort of weird Navy study supply? I was wondering this today while standing in line at the gas station. Also do pilots really keep their wallets in the pant leg pocket?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

stinkypete posted:

What is a goat locker?

In alabama, it's a community recreation center

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

stinkypete posted:

What is a goat locker? A place to temporarily store school goats? Are they like some sort of weird Navy study supply? I was wondering this today while standing in line at the gas station. Also do pilots really keep their wallets in the pant leg pocket?

At least according to wikipedia it got is name from the Age of Sail when their version of petty officers and lived near the spot on the ship that kept the livestock for voyages.

For the wallets some do I guess. Most guys I know keep it in their upper pockets, no one I've seen uses the thigh pocket (though people like using the bottom leg pocket to keep their cover).

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Before I jumped on the Ridge wallet bandwagon I kept my wallet in the left thigh pocket. I already keep a phone, keys, ID, and other random items in the chest pockets so a full sized wallet was just too much. Now with the Ridge it just goes in the left chest pocket with the keys.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

stinkypete posted:

The goat locker is the :chiefsay: treefort where e7 and above disappear forever once they make rank.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Wtf is all this traffic getting onto base this morning? *phone buzzes* ohhhhhhhhh

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/virginia-beach-naval-air-station-shooting-one-dead-one-injured-n991261

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

DustyNuts posted:

Wtf is all this traffic getting onto base this morning? *phone buzzes* ohhhhhhhhh

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/virginia-beach-naval-air-station-shooting-one-dead-one-injured-n991261

yeah i saw the cars and sirens and took a different route to get home

dire poo poo

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Davethulhu posted:

I have one final question to pass on from my remotely deployed son.

Apparently I'm a big liar, one more, though this one is pretty specific:

"I just got orders to a ship that requires the NEC H09A (CANES). According to the research that I was doing, H09A requires 746A (sysadmin). Well, I don't have 746A. So does that mean I'll be doing 746A & CANES before I go to my next ship?"

Again, he's an IT rate.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Davethulhu posted:

"I just got orders to a ship that requires the NEC H09A (CANES). According to the research that I was doing, H09A requires 746A (sysadmin). Well, I don't have 746A. So does that mean I'll be doing 746A & CANES before I go to my next ship?"

Again, he's an IT rate.

Pass this to him: The easiest way to find out would be to check CANTRAC here (https://www.public.navy.mil/netc/development.aspx *CAC Required*) for the length of both schools, and then compare the combined length to the length of the intermediate stop in your orders for training. If your orders stop encompass the time needed for both schools, then you are getting both schools. If the orders do not encompass both school lengths, then it will fit around one of them at least, and you can figure out what school you are getting. If you're not getting the CANES NEC, then your ship is probably going to make arrangements for you to get it once you arrive. My first set of orders to a ship had me billeted to go there as a SNAP III system administrator (SNAP III didn't exist anymore) but I did not get that school en route, they sent me for another NEC once I arrived at the ship instead of going while on the way there.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 5, 2019

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Davethulhu posted:

Again, he's an IT rate.

What a good parent.

This will likely not be actionable information for him.

He will probably get sysadmin. He likely won't, but may receive CANES before arriving and, if not, will probably receive it after. Checking his times at the school, as mentioned above, is there best way to tell. If he's not getting it, contacting his sponsor and mentioning it will only increase the likelihood of him getting it.

If he gets it before going, he's more sure to receive a critical NEC that makes him indespensible and more valuable to the command, as well as receiving training that increases his knowledge relevant to advancement exams. If he gets it after, he'll be rewarded by getting to spend some of his sea time at a school, but is more likely to get that requirement overlooked for operational reasons, especially if the command is already meeting their critical schools quota. His XO is probably already making plans with his department head and division officer on whether to request a complete revision of his schedule or not irrespective of his preferences.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Davethulhu posted:

Again, he's an IT rate.

Tell your son I'm sorry. The training will be good if he gets it, but CANES is a notoriously finicky system.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I think at this point, CANES beats the alternatives that aren't scheduled to be replaced with CANES.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

There hasn’t been any CANES replacement announcement so you may as well learn it no?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Valley Stared posted:

Tell your son I'm sorry. The training will be good if he gets it, but CANES is a notoriously finicky system.

CANES was better than IT21 or whatever the gently caress mishmash garbage we had on my ship in FY09.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 6, 2019

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
You can't kill me, I'm made out of invincible!

stinkypete posted:

Also do pilots really keep their wallets in the pant leg pocket?

Yeah, I generally keep my cover and sunglasses on one leg pocket and my wallet and keys in the other. Cell phone in one of the breast pockets. It’s kind of annoying to have to reach all the way down by your boot to grab your credit cards or ID but it’s always felt less awkward than using another pocket for some reason.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Yeah this guy stuffed his wallet in his lower leg pocket and pulled his lid out at the same time. I just had never seen the wallet in the leg pocket before. I was impressed by the quickness of his swap. One leg up while mid stride to do that swap of wallet and lid. He never broke his stride.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

orange juche posted:

Pass this to him: The easiest way to find out would be to check CANTRAC here (https://www.public.navy.mil/netc/development.aspx *CAC Required*) for the length of both schools, and then compare the combined length to the length of the intermediate stop in your orders for training. If your orders stop encompass the time needed for both schools, then you are getting both schools. If the orders do not encompass both school lengths, then it will fit around one of them at least, and you can figure out what school you are getting. If you're not getting the CANES NEC, then your ship is probably going to make arrangements for you to get it once you arrive. My first set of orders to a ship had me billeted to go there as a SNAP III system administrator (SNAP III didn't exist anymore) but I did not get that school en route, they sent me for another NEC once I arrived at the ship instead of going while on the way there.

What? Just call the loving detailer dawg, they'll tell you what and when. 901-874-2824.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So, I realize I haven't been in that long and I'm also in a pretty good spot and community so I dont have a lot of room to be complaining about anything....

But to be petty, I'm a little annoyed my command is making me do the PFA this cycle even though I validated with an outstanding last cycle and I'm also checking out of this command in a week.

Like in the grand scheme of things its not a big deal, I can pass no problem and I know physical fitness is important and doing 2 PFAs a year isnt bad or hard, but its still annoying.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Cherish this moment when something so inconsequential is catching your ire and remember it for when everything is going sideways

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

maffew buildings posted:

Cherish this moment when something so inconsequential is catching your ire and remember it for when everything is going sideways

Totally, I've talked to enough guys (and hell read enough posts here) to know this is a tiny inconsequential mote of dust in the grand scheme of how things can go tits up/make me angry in the Navy.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

orange juche posted:

CANES was better than IT21 or whatever the gently caress mishmash garbage we had on my ship in FY09.

It beats the poo poo out of COMPOSE (pick your ship's version), which has been pretty much falling apart at the seams from everyone I've talked to who still have not transitioned over to CANES.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Chuckle posted:

It beats the poo poo out of COMPOSE (pick your ship's version), which has been pretty much falling apart at the seams from everyone I've talked to who still have not transitioned over to CANES.

We had IT21 (windows NT/windows 2000) and then upgraded to COMPOSE on windows XP, in 2009. Both are garbage.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So, I realize I haven't been in that long and I'm also in a pretty good spot and community so I dont have a lot of room to be complaining about anything....

But to be petty, I'm a little annoyed my command is making me do the PFA this cycle even though I validated with an outstanding last cycle and I'm also checking out of this command in a week.

Like in the grand scheme of things its not a big deal, I can pass no problem and I know physical fitness is important and doing 2 PFAs a year isnt bad or hard, but its still annoying.

Well you're going to be super annoyed when you hear that once they put your BCA in PRIMS it blanks out the rest and they can't even enter your score.

That is some P3 community sounding nonsense right there. Aren't you winged already?

Edit: yes it's a small thing, but the Navy fails at retention because of hundreds of little stupid things like this. Death by a thousand bullshit administrative cuts. Also good luck getting your pay right when you move, and no you can't use your gtcc to cover the expenses you're incurring during your pcs like every other service because reasons. Oh you needed an advance? It's too late now, you're just going to have to figure something out until your new unit and PSD unfuck your travel claim in 60-90 days.

Geizkragen fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 6, 2019

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Geizkragen posted:

Well you're going to be super annoyed when you hear that once they put your BCA in PRIMS it blanks out the rest and they can't even enter your score.

That is some P3 community sounding nonsense right there. Aren't you winged already?

Edit: yes it's a small thing, but the Navy fails at retention because of hundreds of little stupid things like this. Death by a thousand bullshit administrative cuts. Also good luck getting your pay right when you move, and no you can't use your gtcc to cover the expenses you're incurring during your pcs like every other service because reasons. Oh you needed an advance? It's too late now, you're just going to have to figure something out until your new unit and PSD unfuck your travel claim in 60-90 days.

Ah drat, well that sucks. Some of the other guys/gals who validated with outstanding but are having to do this again are thinking about getting the lowest passing score possible (good low since if you get a sat they put you on FEP) on this one since we're all kind of annoyed.

Yep, I winged about 9 months ago and I got my initial NATOPs qual last week. I'm supposed to leave in 2 weeks to my squadron, but until I do I'm still considered a student and the squadron rule is students don't get the PFA exemption. Which sounds extra dumb considering API/schools command is the place you'd think they'd pull the "no exemptions" card, but even they were cool with it.

I'm bracing my rear end for some admin/monetary SNAFUs when I PCS to Whidbey, especially since my squadron is already deployed so playing paperwork catch up is gonna be fun :suicide:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Ah drat, well that sucks. Some of the other guys/gals who validated with outstanding but are having to do this again are thinking about getting the lowest passing score possible (good low since if you get a sat they put you on FEP) on this one since we're all kind of annoyed.

Yep, I winged about 9 months ago and I got my initial NATOPs qual last week. I'm supposed to leave in 2 weeks to my squadron, but until I do I'm still considered a student and the squadron rule is students don't get the PFA exemption. Which sounds extra dumb considering API/schools command is the place you'd think they'd pull the "no exemptions" card, but even they were cool with it.

I'm bracing my rear end for some admin/monetary SNAFUs when I PCS to Whidbey, especially since my squadron is already deployed so playing paperwork catch up is gonna be fun :suicide:

Doing petty poo poo to show you're upset is not gonna bring about any positive change and could make you look bad so do what you will but keep in mind the risk / reward calculation. Getting a low score is nothing but a liability.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I've told myself I'm phoning in my next PRT every cycle and have never scored less than outstanding. It's 30 minutes of your life, go put out and have professionalism and a positive attitude moving to your new outfit dude.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Some of the other guys/gals who validated with outstanding but are having to do this again are thinking about getting the lowest passing score possible (good low since if you get a sat they put you on FEP) on this one since we're all kind of annoyed.

lol at not doing the bare minimum on every PFA.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Doing petty poo poo to show you're upset is not gonna bring about any positive change and could make you look bad so do what you will but keep in mind the risk / reward calculation. Getting a low score is nothing but a liability.

maffew buildings posted:

I've told myself I'm phoning in my next PRT every cycle and have never scored less than outstanding. It's 30 minutes of your life, go put out and have professionalism and a positive attitude moving to your new outfit dude.

Oh yeah for sure, just to clarify I'm not one of the guys thinking about sandbagging it, its some of the other JO's I know. The way I figure, if I can snag another outstanding here, I'm hoping that one might transfer over to my new squadron.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ManMythLegend posted:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ManMythLegend posted:

lol at not doing the bare minimum on every PFA thing ever.

FTFY

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DustyNuts posted:

What? Just call the loving detailer dawg, they'll tell you what and when. 901-874-2824.

The amount of times I was able to get a hold of a Navy detailer and actually have back and forth correspondence in 8 years was approximately once. Via email en route to second command because haha the idea of possibly getting in contact with a detailer coming from your initial training was considered an absolute pipe dream, and also discouraged by the instructors. Our only interaction with the detailer while in the initial training pipeline was one way, where we picked east coast, west coast, or overseas and then the detailer stuck us wherever they felt like putting us, IF they had billets for us, and if they felt like doing that instead of rolling a set of dice and just tossing us wherever was open for minimally trained junior enlisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

I’m an old fat gently caress and that just comes naturally.