Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Uh yeah what the heck.

Azathoth is a blind, mentally deficient god. His literal presence drives worlds to madness, and has billions of follows in orbit around him. He is literally unfightable, the best people can hope to do is to defeat those influenced by his touch, from light years away, to stop them from birthing a new child of the beast and destroying the entire planet in the process.

How exactly does one put him on the board?

Carefully?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Morpheus posted:

Uh yeah what the heck.

Azathoth is a blind, mentally deficient god. His literal presence drives worlds to madness, and has billions of follows in orbit around him. He is literally unfightable, the best people can hope to do is to defeat those influenced by his touch, from light years away, to stop them from birthing a new child of the beast and destroying the entire planet in the process.

One picks up the mini and puts it down again.

Azathoth in Cthulhu Wars functions the same way as in the Call of Cthulhu RPG. You can't summon all of him, but you can open a portal that lets a tiny part of him through. If enough damage is dealt to that part, he goes away.

Fighting Azathoth is a little less of a problem in CW than CoC because the players are at least Great Old Ones themselves (or Elder Gods), and going mad is no problem at all because the world is already doomed.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Morpheus posted:

Uh yeah what the heck.

Yes. There’s definitely a thematic/genre misunderstanding with Cthulhu games especially as they play out in board games. The ones where you’re playing as detectives play out more like you’re adventurers and the ones where you’re commanding these elder gods like generals don’t make sense when the whole point is they don’t care. Of course the real reason is that Cthulhu is just easy nerd bait that doesn’t have to be licensed.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Rutibex posted:

I feel like whoever is making this stuff does not understand Lovecrafts stories if they think Azathoth is an appropriate unit for a miniatures combat game.

As has been said it's more like you're summoning a fragment of his splintered psyche to wreak havoc on everyone else. Which is also why there's two versions of him that can show up at the same time :D

Also there is a certain amount of adaption necessary for the game, like Hastur not being a city.

Jedit posted:

Also you don't have the Daemon Sultan faction, but that Kickstarter doesn't start for a couple of weeks yet.

Must have missed that announcement. I'll have to keep an eye out for it! (drat my completionist nature...)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

You can definitely punch Azathoth to death with the power of friendship imo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know if I missed a discussion here, but recent board game drama is over GMT publishing a game called Scramble for Africa which carries all the "YIKES" connotations you can expect from a name like that. Now as an apologetic player of Phil "loving" Eklund games I can tolerate a problematic theme if the game itself allows me to explore the implications of my actions. For example in John Company you're playing as the bad guys, but through the mechanisms the game really highlights the fragility of a capitalistic empire the moment it stops turning a profit.

But SoA is poised as a 2 hour 4x-ish game that hopes to attract your Euro playing wife! And while I can only base my opinion on the devlog, the look and description of it makes it out to be as historically accurate as Civilization with the straight abstractions of Mumbasa. There's even a mode that lets you randomize Africa to truly get that Dark Continent feeling.

I have to say I'm disappointed in GMT for picking this one up, the same company that put out Comancheria and Navajo Wars two games where you expressly play as natives fighting off colonists!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

al-azad posted:

For example in John Company you're playing as the bad guys, but through the mechanisms the game really highlights the fragility of a capitalistic empire the moment it stops turning a profit.

:ssh: It helps that John Company was created by Cole Wehrle, not Phil Eklund.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

:ssh: It helps that John Company was created by Cole Wehrle, not Phil Eklund.

Well, even the joke with Eklund is that the free market rules... until one person gets ahead, then everyone has to abuse it to keep up.

Hello, friend. I hope you don't mind if I extort your business.
Not at all. I'll just incite a riot so it stops turning a profit.
I just bribed the government to nationalize it.
That's acceptable. Tea at 4? I promise I won't poison it.
I hope you don't! I'm toppling Diaz at 5!
Capital. I'm loyal to Diaz but I'll show my true colors when the time comes.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

al-azad posted:

I don't know if I missed a discussion here, but recent board game drama is over GMT publishing a game called Scramble for Africa which carries all the "YIKES" connotations you can expect from a name like that. Now as an apologetic player of Phil "loving" Eklund games I can tolerate a problematic theme if the game itself allows me to explore the implications of my actions. For example in John Company you're playing as the bad guys, but through the mechanisms the game really highlights the fragility of a capitalistic empire the moment it stops turning a profit.

But SoA is poised as a 2 hour 4x-ish game that hopes to attract your Euro playing wife! And while I can only base my opinion on the devlog, the look and description of it makes it out to be as historically accurate as Civilization with the straight abstractions of Mumbasa. There's even a mode that lets you randomize Africa to truly get that Dark Continent feeling.

I have to say I'm disappointed in GMT for picking this one up, the same company that put out Comancheria and Navajo Wars two games where you expressly play as natives fighting off colonists!

I'm disappointed but I mean the default political mode of wargamers includes confederate apologists, CIA analysts and wehraboos so i'm not exactly surprised. Comancheria, Navajo Wars, Cole Wehrle and Spirit Island are all pretty much part of a new trend of People's History-esque historical analysis in board games - but as far as I know that is pretty much where it starts and stops.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

quote:

I think Scramble for Africa fits in that space between serious wargame and family strategy game. Some might compare it to a “Euro-game.”
Good to see wargames finally moving on from the 60s style groggy military simulations, and embracing the family friendly colonial themes of the traditional Euro.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

tbh I wouldn't be as upset if it wasn't so flippant. The blog post reads like an Onion article where someone is describing a horrible tragedy in a tone of voice I can only describe as "pleasant" which is totally how I would describe the tone of Mombasa or Puerto Rico.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Impermanent posted:

I'm disappointed but I mean the default political mode of wargamers includes confederate apologists, CIA analysts and wehraboos so i'm not exactly surprised. Comancheria, Navajo Wars, Cole Wehrle and Spirit Island are all pretty much part of a new trend of People's History-esque historical analysis in board games - but as far as I know that is pretty much where it starts and stops.
All the people I war game with are lefty as hell. I’m not saying that the demographic historically had issues and still has problems, but even for wargames it’s shifting.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I would say my group is split 50/50 between left and right leaning on various issues. The group is comprised of mainly active duty military and veterans. With the exception of spirit island I don’t recall ever having a discussion about colonialism. We normally confine our talks to games, current military issues and finances.

To be fair we are mostly Eastern European or white Americans so there is that

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 6, 2019

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I don't think the COIN games are examples for woke or critical wargames.

America has never won a war against an "insurgency" using force, and all historic example of successful coin (invasion) are "slaughter people until they've got no fighting spirit left".

Giving America a wincon in such a situation, like Afghanistan, Vietnam had worked out if only they had applied the senseless violence a little differently, is neocon bullshit.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is anyone disagreeing with you on that point?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Oh Sorry, I mixed up Ruhnke and Wehrle. people itt have called Ruhnke "unbiased" before, but this post was based on me mixing up names.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I'm not sure anyone who has seen Labyrinth would consider Ruhnke unbiased, but at least he is self-aware and honest in the world view he takes when he designs a game.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

I'm not sure anyone who has seen Labyrinth would consider Ruhnke unbiased, but at least he is self-aware and honest in the world view he takes when he designs a game.
Yeah, it's like Twilight Struggle isn't a simulation of the actual geopolitics of the cold war, it's a simulation of the "domino theory" which was the strategic lens through which many contemporary actors viewed the conflict. COIN games are a CIA spook's view of insurgencies so manipulating popular support and subjugation civilian populations are just more levers to pull. However I would say that by recognising civilians in conflict at all, makes them somewhat progressive. Plus I'm pretty sure there's non-violent and civil society factions in some upcoming wargames, so COIN does seem to be moving out from the shadow of Volke's original vision.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Unbiased isn't perhaps the right word. Cole Ruhnke is leaning neocon, but he's both generally smart and self-aware about it he doesn't go Eklund about it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

discount cathouse posted:

America has never won a war against an "insurgency" using force

What about Native Americans?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lichtenstein posted:

Unbiased isn't perhaps the right word. Cole Ruhnke is leaning neocon, but he's both generally smart and self-aware about it he doesn't go Eklund about it.

Do you mean Volko Ruhnke? Now you're getting him confused with Cole Wehrle.

E: My CWO3 just showed up. The box is about twice as big as Brass was, and that had two games in it.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 6, 2019

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Volko's the COIN guy, Cole's the baby-COIN guy, so Colko must be the tween-COIN guy.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Yeah, meant Volko!

That's what skipping morning coffee gets you.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I was asked for a small convention to teach "Stuffed Fables".

Any common mistakes or something I should be aware of?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Colko Wehnke

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Selecta84 posted:

I was asked for a small convention to teach "Stuffed Fables".

Any common mistakes or something I should be aware of?

Skip the first couple paragraphs of story or you will alienate everyone over age 3.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone got thoughts on the upcoming Hellboy co-op game?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Skip the first couple paragraphs of story or you will alienate everyone over age 3.

Ok. I will have time to play the game a few times before the convention with my group and I will see how much they can take.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Gort posted:

Anyone got thoughts on the upcoming Hellboy co-op game?

Got my copy. Can't bear to read the rules because I know its probably going to be junk. The art and models rule. Too much stuff in the box like any miniature Kickstarter, I don't even know where to start. Glad I didn't buy the expansions even though I'm a massive Hellboy and BPRD fan, even though Mexican Hellboy rules.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

admanb posted:

Colko Wehnke

Vole Runkle

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Gutter Owl posted:

Vole Runkle
Next Root faction spoiled!

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

discount cathouse posted:

I don't think the COIN games are examples for woke or critical wargames.

America has never won a war against an "insurgency" using force, and all historic example of successful coin (invasion) are "slaughter people until they've got no fighting spirit left".

Giving America a wincon in such a situation, like Afghanistan, Vietnam had worked out if only they had applied the senseless violence a little differently, is neocon bullshit.

Have you played A Distant Plain? The US Coalition is, morally, a terrible actor in that game, and meeting their wincon requires doing really inhumane poo poo. I think it's pretty insightful about how the inter-faction dynamics and goals create really bad incentives and outcomes.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Brian Train of all of the COIN designers has his head on straight. CT even fixes one of the base things that was plaguing the base game since AA and is better researched politically.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

GMT is dropping Scramble for Africa.

quote:

P500 Update: Removing Scramble for Africa

Dear P500 customers,

I'm writing today to let you know that after much consideration and after consultation with the designer, we have decided to pull Scramble for Africa off of our P500 list.

It's clear to me that the game is out of step with what most eurogame players want from us, in terms of both topic and treatment. Over the past few weeks, we've heard from a growing number of gamers who had concerns about both in regards to Scramble for Africa. To those of you who took the time to share your concerns with us privately and also to those who shared concerns in public forums in a polite and constructive manner, I want to thank you for the kindness and class with which you shared negative feedback. As we always strive to do, we have endeavored in this instance to listen to you, learn from you, and act on your feedback.

I'm very sorry that we didn't catch this sooner. We work hard to evaluate and scrub games before they get to the P500 list, and we turn down games each year that we think are inappropriate for us in various ways. I'm sorry that we missed this one and caused some of you a lot of consternation and angst because of our oversight. We'll do better.

For those of you who had P500 orders for the game, don't worry. Your order was automatically deleted when we deleted Scramble for Africa from the P500 list a few minutes ago.

Enjoy the games!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Colonial themes being banished from euros would be a good thing and it's kind of weird that gmt of all places might be the start of a trend.

Edit: or rather uncritical colonial themes.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 7, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
where's my Battle Line deluxe GMT!?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The wording of their apology is weak — basically framing Eurogamers as the catalyst — and they don’t acknowledge it was the uncritical theme that was criticized, but I’m glad they addressed this quickly without digging their heels in.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

ehhhh, there's a charitable reading of the "topic and treatment" line and the eurogamer mention seems more like respecting their audience rather than calling them out as being opposed to the wargame audience. Maybe I'm just being too charitable.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It’s just a very PR apology to save face for themselves by saying “the game just didn’t fit our vision and we realized it too late.” I think the most important thing about their specific wording is not to embarrass the designer by calling out his work, by including his “consultation” so that it seems amicable. And maybe it was, I’m just always suspicious of these emails but I don’t begrudge GMT none.

Maybe the designer can take it to Kickstarter. I’m sure it would garner interest from a certain crowd as the banned game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Speaking of this issue, Here's a contest for game designers who are interested in designing games from a different perspective.. So happy to see this, so tired of the poo poo GMT was trying to peddle. They should be embarrassed.