Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Most elegant solution is to get a quick disconnect kit that comes with male QDs for Badger and 1/8" BSP. Then if you get a second airbrush that takes the latter they both plug into the QD interchangeably. And get a QD with a PAC valve built in while you're at it so can do quick PSI adjustment without having to fiddle with the regulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It didn't, which do I need? Or is there just a main one.

Alls I know is that my badger airbrush came with an adapter for your standard air hoses. If you have to buy one anyway I'd go with the quick disconnect option darnon mentioned.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I've got a few Badgers and none of them came with an adapter. If you're not going to use a quick disconnect, it's better to use an actual Badger hose to cut out as many possible air leaks as possible. I ran mine from a Paasche hose for a while and it worked much better when I switched to a Badger hose and took the adapter out of the chain.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For anyone thinking about the Games & Gears paint brushes, don't. Their primary claim is that the last longer yet I already have a #1 brush with a curled tip after four models.

Goddammit.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Does the hair spray method affect the lifespan of the paint film?

Aniodia posted:

Because of that, though, it's a colossal ballache to reproduce their colors if you run out and the local store doesn't have another pot in stock. Like, sure Incubi Darkness comes close to Coal Black, but if you put the two next to each other there's a world of difference. The worst part is, the entire P3 line is like that, where you can get close to a lot of their colors, but you're not finding an almost complete match to any of their colors right out of the pot/dropper bottle. Combine that with the fact that most tutorials out on the internet tend to use either GW or Vallejo colors almost exclusively, and you can kinda understand why people say not to use them starting out.

Some day I will figure out how to make Trollblood Base and Sanguine Base from other, artist paint lines. :negative:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
When’s the new OP coming up? In the near future I’ve actually got the opportunity to start setting up my own stuff instead of just helping my friends paint their stuff.

Is there a big general “here’s how to paint starting from literally from 0 and going into minute detail”?

I’ve gathered that for specific effects I should YouTube or look up Duncan videos.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DiHK posted:

Goddammit.

They supposedly have a very generous warranty and good CS so I will reach out to them.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Hey, this is arriving today for me! Does anyone know if the cable will work with my badger sotar or if I should head out on my lunch to buy an adapter...

darnon posted:

Most elegant solution is to get a quick disconnect kit that comes with male QDs for Badger and 1/8" BSP. Then if you get a second airbrush that takes the latter they both plug into the QD interchangeably. And get a QD with a PAC valve built in while you're at it so can do quick PSI adjustment without having to fiddle with the regulator.

This is what I did with the patriot. I bought the 1/8" QD and then just the male badger connector. It looks like you can get both in this pack:
https://www.amazon.com/HUBEST-Airbrush-Disconnect-Coupler-Release/dp/B07KHBL8TW

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

When’s the new OP coming up? In the near future I’ve actually got the opportunity to start setting up my own stuff instead of just helping my friends paint their stuff.

Is there a big general “here’s how to paint starting from literally from 0 and going into minute detail”?

I’ve gathered that for specific effects I should YouTube or look up Duncan videos.

Sorry. It's a big effort, but like most of the stuff I do, the final result will 1) be late 2) be high quality

To give context, I'm editing the existing monster of an OP to be more easy to read and be better organized. There are basically four sections: introduction, modeling, painting, and misc. Sections will be broken down into a way that you get theory, learn about how to get quickly started, and then dive into specific techniques for each section. I'm taking out many of the tutorials and making them links, but you will always have a good starting point.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I’m super excited. Thanks for the work you’re doing, Bulbasaur!

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Quidthulhu posted:

I’m super excited. Thanks for the work you’re doing, Bulbasaur!

Agreed, thanks Bulbasaur. I just started this hobby a few months ago and have a lot to learn so I am looking forward to the updates.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Also, let me know what (if anything) you want to do with my recommended paints list when you make the new OP.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Serenade posted:

Some day I will figure out how to make Trollblood Base and Sanguine Base from other, artist paint lines. :negative:

At least for this one, I've found Vallejo Game Color "Red Black" to be drat close. Even if I wasn't phone posting right now, all my paints are packed up and waiting for me to find a new place, so I can't easily look up the exact number of the paint, but I would start there. Trollblood Base, on the other hand, I got nothing. Sorry.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

BULBASAUR posted:

Sorry. It's a big effort, but like most of the stuff I do, the final result will 1) be late 2) be high quality

To give context, I'm editing the existing monster of an OP to be more easy to read and be better organized. There are basically four sections: introduction, modeling, painting, and misc. Sections will be broken down into a way that you get theory, learn about how to get quickly started, and then dive into specific techniques for each section. I'm taking out many of the tutorials and making them links, but you will always have a good starting point.

I appreciate your dedication to quality my friend :)

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Sab669 posted:

Is that just Druchii Violet over the armor, or...?

Getting back to this from a couple pages ago- I can give you most of the run through. Had a rough idea of what I wanted starting out.

1-

1.Primer was white. The base coat was some dioxazine purple that had been sitting on my wet palette for like a month and was oversaturated and ended up acting a little bit like wash- it pooled on the flat surfaces and in the recesses, but stayed off the edges. This wasn't intentional, I just knew I wanted some purple tones in the model. Xereus purple is probably the citadel equivalent.
The red was next and is roughly where I wanted the strongest light to be hitting it.

2-

2. From 1 to this next pic I came back and put in more layers of red to smooth out the lit areas and used magenta (probably close to screamer pink) as a transition between the reds and purples. I think there were a few more layers of purple in there to darken it in places and smooth it out.

3-

3. From 2 to here I started working in some orange and orange/yellow in the red to show where the light was hitting it. I was imagining a light source high on the front right, then another lower from the back left.

4-

4. So, up to here I've edge highlighted the red areas with orange, and the purple areas with red.

5-

5. To this point I've hit most of the raised corners with a spot of orange highlight and the brightest ones with yellow-orange. Through to this step there have also been blending layers of red/magenta mix, and red/orange mix, and magenta/purple mix to smooth out the color transitions. These are usually mixed with matte medium so they have a semi-translucent quality.

5 was pretty close to as much as I worked on the armor.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Skails posted:

Getting back to this from a couple pages ago- I can give you most of the run through. Had a rough idea of what I wanted starting out.

1-

1.Primer was white. The base coat was some dioxazine purple that had been sitting on my wet palette for like a month and was oversaturated and ended up acting a little bit like wash- it pooled on the flat surfaces and in the recesses, but stayed off the edges. This wasn't intentional, I just knew I wanted some purple tones in the model. Xereus purple is probably the citadel equivalent.
The red was next and is roughly where I wanted the strongest light to be hitting it.

2-

2. From 1 to this next pic I came back and put in more layers of red to smooth out the lit areas and used magenta (probably close to screamer pink) as a transition between the reds and purples. I think there were a few more layers of purple in there to darken it in places and smooth it out.

3-

3. From 2 to here I started working in some orange and orange/yellow in the red to show where the light was hitting it. I was imagining a light source high on the front right, then another lower from the back left.

4-

4. So, up to here I've edge highlighted the red areas with orange, and the purple areas with red.

5-

5. To this point I've hit most of the raised corners with a spot of orange highlight and the brightest ones with yellow-orange. Through to this step there have also been blending layers of red/magenta mix, and red/orange mix, and magenta/purple mix to smooth out the color transitions. These are usually mixed with matte medium so they have a semi-translucent quality.

Please make your Chapter Master Bob Ross.

Emperor's Happy Little Accidents

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Skails posted:

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

I love this. One of those jobs where you hold the mini out at arms length with you brush in the air and make a satisfied hmph sound.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Please make your Chapter Master Bob Ross.

Emperor's Happy Little Accidents

And maybe a little skull servant lives here. A little happy skull servant. Anywhere the Emperor wants. It's His world.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That Italian Guy posted:

And maybe a little skull servant lives here. A little happy skull servant. Anywhere the Emperor wants. It's His world.

The Joy of Purging.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Any patreons you'd recommend to sub to?

I've learnt a lot from the lil legend one.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The Joy of Purging.

Lol, this is a real book my grandmother owned about just drinking lemon juice and spices until your body shits out toxins or whatever.

Oh boy \/

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 6, 2019

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

sounds more like the harvey mantaco guide to poasting!

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Join my patreon. I will tell you there is no wrong or right way to paint. Just do what feels good to you. If you aren't happy, just paint another mini, you're getting better - I have confidence in you!

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They supposedly have a very generous warranty and good CS so I will reach out to them.

Let us know how it goes, I got the synthetics and the sables. My #1 seems like it might be wanting to curl a bit but its early times yet.

I got their "special" soap too but that was alread on my general list. I'd cry about dropping 72$ on brushes but 10$ a brush is pretty good imo.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Aniodia posted:

At least for this one, I've found Vallejo Game Color "Red Black" to be drat close. Even if I wasn't phone posting right now, all my paints are packed up and waiting for me to find a new place, so I can't easily look up the exact number of the paint, but I would start there. Trollblood Base, on the other hand, I got nothing. Sorry.

Using GOLDEN brand paints, 3 parts bone black to 1 part pyrrole red was the closest I got. I'll check Vallejo Red Black when I get the chance.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fake James posted:

What brand/color is that? Looks like it would be a good highlight color for my Death Guard.

Rakarth then Pallid Wych layered

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DiHK posted:

Let us know how it goes, I got the synthetics and the sables. My #1 seems like it might be wanting to curl a bit but its early times yet.

I got their "special" soap too but that was alread on my general list. I'd cry about dropping 72$ on brushes but 10$ a brush is pretty good imo.

I paid for the whole set. The construction is nice but if the brushes are poo poo it's irrelevant. I obsessively clean my brushes using their soap.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I paid for the whole set. The construction is nice but if the brushes are poo poo it's irrelevant. I obsessively clean my brushes using their soap.

I got their double-ended brushes from a kickstarter years back and they were total poo poo, very disappointing.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I paid for the whole set. The construction is nice but if the brushes are poo poo it's irrelevant.

:same:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

yeah thanks bulbasaur

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
We were planning on playing the dark souls board game but unexpectedly my brothers copy of Batman:Gotham City Chronicles arrived (in a box so big we thought it was actually a chair or something).

The game was really fun - I played as Bane and his henchmen trying to blow up a subway underneath town hall and in classic comic book style I was foiled at the last moment. My friend took home 3 models to paint and here are two of them:

The man himself:

Penguin, who is the villain of the next scenario that we'll be playing (most likely I will be the villain again)

I might paint a hero or two once i've worked my way through my Titan battlegroup - finishing off the warlord at the moment.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Some more Blood Angels.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Amazon has been out of the Raphael 8404 size 1 brush for awhile now, but I just now noticed they had 5 in stock, so I jumped on buying one. :homebrew: I can't wait to get this brush.

Booley posted:

Some more Blood Angels.

:black101:

These are super badass looking! You did a great job.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Folks I need a new airbrush, budget is about £120 any recommendations?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

gilljoy posted:

Harder and Steenbeck Silverline M is exactly £120.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
...And the third model, everyone's favourite Batman character...
This guy!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JBP posted:

Harder and Steenbeck Silverline M is exactly £120.

That'd be my go to as well.

H&S is the tits.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

MrFlibble posted:

We were planning on playing the dark souls board game but unexpectedly my brothers copy of Batman:Gotham City Chronicles arrived (in a box so big we thought it was actually a chair or something).

The game was really fun - I played as Bane and his henchmen trying to blow up a subway underneath town hall and in classic comic book style I was foiled at the last moment. My friend took home 3 models to paint and here are two of them:

The man himself:

Penguin, who is the villain of the next scenario that we'll be playing (most likely I will be the villain again)

I might paint a hero or two once i've worked my way through my Titan battlegroup - finishing off the warlord at the moment.

Those look baller as hell, especially Batman's cape!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

gilljoy posted:

Badger Patriot 105 goes for about £80-£100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Welp had intended to paint ten marines over two days. Did their highlighting and basic armour but couldn't tear myself away from this sargent I've had in waiting for ages. Pretty happy! Need to shiny up the blood and do the base properly but I'm stoked with this after not painting EC for ages.