Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Chris Wilson asked gdc to release his talk early which is pretty cool,

Designing Path of Exile to be played forever

pretty good talk

"played for 20-30 thousand hours over the average lifespan of the user"...........

"path of exile tries very hard so that class doesn't matter that much"

This video is actually pretty good to watch to get an idea how the game has changed. Showing all the leagues in order. I had read some of the stuff in the games was a league but I was like "darkshrines the one thing in lab?".

Hey I'm only trying to kill synthesis bosses while not being hit because your making me! Don't pretend I asked for this!

The entire bit about changing the best builds so people try another build for a league is literally the reason Diablo 3 arbitrarily changes the sets to be better than the others.

It's also strange to see his head move when he talks.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

dang it's almost like they buffed ES and the 1% are all playing it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Class doesn’t matter much over 3-4 patches. I guess.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

He's still pretty much right in that you don't generally think "I want to play a witch", you think "I want to play with Bane and Soulrend, so I guess I'm going Occultist"

Basically how instead of being based on class, builds are based around skills which are much more numerous so there's more reason to play another witch and be player retented.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I asked in the PS4 thread but didn’t get many replies. I played too much D3 over the years and I’m feeling the itch. How is the PS4 port?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's one of the best GDC talks I've ever watched.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

dantheman650 posted:

I asked in the PS4 thread but didn’t get many replies. I played too much D3 over the years and I’m feeling the itch. How is the PS4 port?

Ive been playing casually since it came out on PS4. It's solid. Basically exactly the same as the pc version, but inventory management is a bit annoying without a mouse, that's my only complaint so far.

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

dantheman650 posted:

I played a couple of characters to maps. Compared to pc the major differences are: waaaaay slower load times on console, the trade system (and economy) on console sucks so hard, you can't pick up items in combat, and you wouldnt want to play any build that requires finesse aiming. It's acceptable, and free, but you should never play on console if you have a PC imo.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

i can still taste him posted:

I played a couple of characters to maps. Compared to pc the major differences are: waaaaay slower load times on console, the trade system (and economy) on console sucks so hard, you can't pick up items in combat, and you wouldnt want to play any build that requires finesse aiming. It's acceptable, and free, but you should never play on console if you have a PC imo.

on ps4, you can replace the drive with an ssd or a hybrid (ssd+spinning metal) and that helps sometimes.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Elentor posted:

That's one of the best GDC talks I've ever watched.

It was incredibly engrossing the entire way through

Chris was so passionate talking about it

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

He really gave Kripp a lot of credit, I always forget he used to be The Guy for ARPGs.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, the original Darkshrines if I remember correctly were a mix of the current sacrifice mechanic with Shrines from Diablo 1 which could give you very unpredictable and sometimes negative effects.

I think the idea of scrapping the original iteration and just porting them as hidden Lab buffs was a pretty good idea.

Draxion posted:

He really gave Kripp a lot of credit, I always forget he used to be The Guy for ARPGs.

That talk is a good reference for whenever people talk about devs like they're Gods and can't possibly be consulting players who are not pros, or that it's just a facade. When you're too busy developing something you might lose sight of stuff. Kripp is one of the best players to get feedback from that I can think, he has an excellent intuition and is very fast to reach the highest levels of any game. He then typically falls behind after that, because he either can't keep up or don't think the diminishing returns are worth his time, but his intuition is top notch and unlike a lot of good players he can turn his perception of the game into words. He's also very good at figuring out how to mix mechanics and find bugs/exploits (which he often gets in trouble for :v:) and a player like that is absurdly invaluable to have for QA.

I imagine he does a huge amount of math behind the scenes. It wouldn't be surprise me if Alkaizer did the same, although Kripp appears to be much more enthusiastic about offering his insights/suggestions/talking to devs.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 6, 2019

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Just look at this list of the old Labyrinth Darkshrines. That's a great way to make sure basically no one dares click on them.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

I heard breach made you do each breachstone 100 times, that's fun?

Yea i pretty much just did some each day to break it up. I was bf ci inquisitor with skyforth back when they were good and it was pretty quick. Bosses died near instant.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Malaria posted:

Ive been playing casually since it came out on PS4. It's solid. Basically exactly the same as the pc version, but inventory management is a bit annoying without a mouse, that's my only complaint so far.

You can also drag loot with you as you go.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I really like fossils. It looks like I don't even have many now that I moved them to another stash.

I might have found a way to make the memory nexus more fun for me. I no longer try to kill anything and just leave the reward memories after I activate them. Was able to clear out my memory fragments in 20m instead of an hour.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 6, 2019

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

pretty good talk

this is fascinating

I was wondering why I stopped playing the game, I was a huge PoE whale from Prophecy to Delve (now I play Warframe), but I didn't have a concrete way to express why

but Chris clearly lays it out, PoE just got lucky (in the case of Betrayal literally only RNG kept me playing for more than a week), because I am not one of the player groups they market and design to

and I am a tiny minority, too, nobody save a few posters here had the same problems with Synthesis, all the fixes and patches this league are meaningless to me, so I guess it was inevetable and also pointless to try to correct

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Goa Tse-tung posted:

this is fascinating

I was wondering why I stopped playing the game, I was a huge PoE whale from Prophecy to Delve (now I play Warframe), but I didn't have a concrete way to express why

but Chris clearly lays it out, PoE just got lucky (in the case of Betrayal literally only RNG kept me playing for more than a week), because I am not one of the player groups they market and design to

and I am a tiny minority, too, nobody save a few posters here had the same problems with Synthesis, all the fixes and patches this league are meaningless to me, so I guess it was inevetable and also pointless to try to correct

Out of curiosity, why did you play the game?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Would it possible to get a guild invite? Name in-game is Vitelli

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

I really like fossils. It looks like I don't even have many now that I moved them to another stash.

I might have found a way to make the memory nexus more fun for me. I no longer try to kill anything and just leave the reward memories after I activate them. Was able to clear out my memory fragments in 20m instead of an hour.

You don't kill anything, and don't collect rewards? Sounds like you're not doing anything.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Challenges don't need you to collect any rewards and alot are a waste of time. I'm not trying to load up memories with memory modifiers because I'm pretty much just using them to blitz towards clearing the poo poo up. So my memories arn't getting alot of use out of them.

Going to see how it hurts my t16 map drops, chisels, and sextants drops. If I can just speed up the boring parts of the memory nexus it wouldn't bother me.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Here's a kind of slow Uber Elder run (spent a long time at the beginning not actually hitting Shaper):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f19mhYIHK70

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ultima66 posted:

Here's a kind of slow Uber Elder run (spent a long time at the beginning not actually hitting Shaper):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f19mhYIHK70

Can you link your character? I'm into yellow maps doing basically exactly this, but poor.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Can you link your character? I'm into yellow maps doing basically exactly this, but poor.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ultima66/characters?characterName=HisCoconutGun

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Thanks!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Would anyone mind checking my tectonic jugg gear? I feel like I'm way under on HP at 5579. My loreweave is straight trash and I'm considering doing a couple dozen divines on it and then 30% quality beastcraft, but I don't know what my first priority should be.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/idiotloser

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Would anyone mind checking my tectonic jugg gear? I feel like I'm way under on HP at 5579. My loreweave is straight trash and I'm considering doing a couple dozen divines on it and then 30% quality beastcraft, but I don't know what my first priority should be.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/idiotloser

5.5k hp is fine if you have other defenses.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Salt Fish posted:

Save up for a better loreweave, buy it, and then sell your old one.

I threw like 12 divines in my first loreweave and was still wanting. Then I just saved up and bought a better one and sold my old one for like one ex less than what I paid for the better. Your still has pretty good stats.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jay Rust posted:

Would it possible to get a guild invite? Name in-game is Vitelli

A++ would trade maps with again

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I think I'md eveloping arachnophobia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7cYQsZv2vw

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

pretty good talk

My take from this is that I now know what the red ring thing is, I was running away from it as I thought it would kill me like some kind of slow moving AoE effect...

Being a new player is rough.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

AceClown posted:

My take from this is that I now know what the red ring thing is, I was running away from it as I thought it would kill me like some kind of slow moving AoE effect...

Being a new player is rough.

:shobon:

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

TheRat posted:

I think I'md eveloping arachnophobia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7cYQsZv2vw

Would you mind throwing up a pob for this dude at some point? Im done with this league but I love starting lightning trap as a league starter so it'd be nice to have. The only other trapper Ive done is that demi eb/tinkerskin version but I like ci so much better in general.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

BobbyK posted:

Would you mind throwing up a pob for this dude at some point? Im done with this league but I love starting lightning trap as a league starter so it'd be nice to have. The only other trapper Ive done is that demi eb/tinkerskin version but I like ci so much better in general.

https://pastebin.com/RHbDEVQH that's my current setup. Next 3 points should I survive that long is the crit multi nodes east of witch.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Thanks man, appreciate it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

I kind of want to try ek deadeye with conversion shenanigans kind of like the trapper I tried earlier

does this seem feasible? https://pastebin.com/m41v5wmB

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
For storm brand, is there anything in particular I should be looking for in jewels beyond typical +% life, lightning/ele damage, cast speed, etc.? Are those even the things I should be looking for?

I'm moderately geared up, start to run into problems on T14+ if I'm getting lazy or sloppy, but then I am still running a Tabula and trash weapon, so I'm not too worried yet, I just don't know what the ideal is for jewels in the endgame.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

For storm brand, is there anything in particular I should be looking for in jewels beyond typical +% life, lightning/ele damage, cast speed, etc.? Are those even the things I should be looking for?

I'm moderately geared up, start to run into problems on T14+ if I'm getting lazy or sloppy, but then I am still running a Tabula and trash weapon, so I'm not too worried yet, I just don't know what the ideal is for jewels in the endgame.

if youre not running EO, get +XX% crit multi if you've crit recently is an excellent jewel affix for storm brand

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

A big flaming stink posted:

if youre not running EO, get +XX% crit multi if you've crit recently is an excellent jewel affix for storm brand

I think you mean "if you've killed recently". Good for clearing, not great for most bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If the game is balanced around having 75% resists why do they allow monsters to penetrate your resists?