Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Moist von Lipwig posted:

you're saying proof-of-work has no useful applications? note: i'm not talking about cryptocurrency

Yes, absolutely. And the real world is proof of that.

It's great if you want to burn tons of energy for pointless busywork, not much else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

proof of work is sitting in my offshore bank accounts :wotwot:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Lambert posted:

Yes, absolutely. And the real world is proof of that.

It's great if you want to burn tons of energy for pointless busywork, not much else.

im talking about spam prevention and stuff

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Moist von Lipwig posted:

im talking about spam prevention and stuff

Another problem proof-of-work doesn't offer a practical solution for.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

If the gang doesn't talk about this I'll be shocked

https://twitter.com/bulkUSBchargers/status/1114262053869559808?s=19

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/potch/status/1114299634959044608

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

What can you even talk about with it. I can't even parse what they are even trying to say. It's so out there.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

get will on there to pronounce rather

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Any Struggle Session listeners know why Johnathan Daniel Brown left?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pomplamoose posted:

Some sort of dispute possibly involving Woody Allen

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Gist I can work out from Leslie and Jack tweeting about it is JDB fell in with some weird subreddit of the kind of angry dudes who identify as leftists but 99% of their politics are yelling about "idpol" and sjws, and JDB wanted to pander to those those guys to grift them and also sincerely became one of them?

The Woody Allen thing was Leslie says JDB accused him of being antisemitic for not believing he was innocent.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Gist I can work out from Leslie and Jack tweeting about it is JDB fell in with some weird subreddit of the kind of angry dudes who identify as leftists but 99% of their politics are yelling about "idpol" and sjws, and JDB wanted to pander to those those guys to grift them and also sincerely became one of them?

I'm on the Struggle Session discord and I dunno about the Woody Allen thing but this is basically it. JDB is also still drawing several months' worth of severance pay from the show while continuing to melt down and threatening to sue them every couple weeks. It sucks, Jack and Leslie seemed legitimately surprised and bummed out about it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
struggle session is sliding pretty hard in quality. antifada too kind of, jamie is very much a small doses listen

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Pomplamoose posted:

This thread explains the whole affair: https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1110621643230072833

But yeah, its a bummer seeing what a petty rear end in a top hat JDB turned out to be.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wasn’t JDB in project x lmao

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/status/1114615745848254465

yang going after the coveted felix vote

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Clip-On Fedora posted:

This thread explains the whole affair: https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1110621643230072833

But yeah, its a bummer seeing what a petty rear end in a top hat JDB turned out to be.

he threatened to DMCA the podcast. :hmbol:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

:hmbol: I swear to god I listened to Yang talk twice, and while I thought his ideas were cool, they were just a gimmick, and it was obvious. $1,000/mo to every adult in america? :lol: ok dude. But now he's going after the 18-35 white male demographic with this, and there's no way to spin that. Is he just hoping/trying to ride to the White House with the same idiots that voted for Trump, but in a more progressive manner?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

he threatened to DMCA the podcast. :hmbol:

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1110718520524849152

Apparently he also demanded they sign a non disclosure agreement, then probably invalidated it by immediately slandering them behind their backs to anyone who would hear.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The battle of who gives a gently caress

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

terrorist ambulance posted:

The battle of who gives a gently caress

Being down for interpersonal drama and petty infighting is what being a leftist is all about!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the one thing that unites the always online left and the actually active left is we both are 100% full of messy bitches that love drama and are all willing to completely schism whatever we're doing over the slightest personal grudge.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

sexpig by night posted:

yea the one thing that unites the always online left and the actually active left is we both are 100% full of messy bitches that love drama and are all willing to completely schism whatever we're doing over the slightest personal grudge.

"B****" is a slur and you're cancelled

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

T-man posted:

"B****" is a slur and you're cancelled

I'll set this entire thread on fire for this you monster

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/atjeffholcomb/s...1826%23lastpost

Eh, despite gossipy shits like me, I think we're doing okay.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
who the gently caress is struggle session?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

friends of the pod.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I was just searching for the Struggle Session guy.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like that Chapo is force feeding its listeners more international veggies, and I like how they seem to be trying to build up alternative news sources, but I don't know what to make of that Thomas Friedman reading series. Usually I find them funny or they make me angry, but this one kind of alarmed me.

I think the tell is at the end, where he describes "a Labour Party that has gone Marxist." I wish I'd read a book in my life, because it seems kind of obvious to assume that if I can get the gist of Marx through memes and podcasts, surely there are capitalists out there who understand it much, much better than I do. That lead me to a more sinister interpretation – instead of the hilarious word salad of an insane person, the article hit me as a novel theory for would-be fascists in one of the capitalists' journals of record. Friedman seems to be calling for the literal aristocracy to ennoble officers of "information flow" companies with insane poo poo like birthright sovereignty, or openly advocating for the nobility to bestow peerage on stateless corporations, or something equally terrifying.

Maybe I'm not saying anything new and this is what people mean when they talk about neo-feudalism, but I always thought monarchists were a historical phenomenon and not a real, modern reactionary possibility. Treating them as a punch line seems kind of dangerous for a show that caters to dumb, shitposting hogs like me.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The whole neoreactionary movement that presaged the alt-right and dark enlightenment years ago was predicated on selling new monarchism to Silicon Valley, and even then I knew it was gonna grow into a huge problem, because that demographic is politically stunted and wildly susceptible to Great Man theory

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 15, 2020

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

The_Rob posted:

What can you even talk about with it. I can't even parse what they are even trying to say. It's so out there.

"How can I turn the C- I got in Language Arts into someone else's problem?"

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Wasn’t JDB in project x lmao

Oh poo poo he was, and he was a passenger on The Bang Bus. Now that's a cultural overlap I wasn't expecting.

EndOfTheWorld fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 7, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kobayashi posted:

I think the tell is at the end, where he describes "a Labour Party that has gone Marxist." I wish I'd read a book in my life, because it seems kind of obvious to assume that if I can get the gist of Marx through memes and podcasts, surely there are capitalists out there who understand it much, much better than I do. That lead me to a more sinister interpretation – instead of the hilarious word salad of an insane person, the article hit me as a novel theory for would-be fascists in one of the capitalists' journals of record. Friedman seems to be calling for the literal aristocracy to ennoble officers of "information flow" companies with insane poo poo like birthright sovereignty, or openly advocating for the nobility to bestow peerage on stateless corporations, or something equally terrifying.
I think you're giving Friedman too much credit. The stuff about "stock vs. flow" is just bullshit marketing speak for "it's a fast-paced, sink-or-swim economy and you're on your own."

As Matt put it, he's just a court magician for capital. He's one of the people Matt Taibbi likens to the mystics and fortunetellers that enraptured the Russian aristocracy before the revolutionaries kicked down the doors.

What underlies his thinking is pure neoliberalism--capitalism is a force of nature, so it's gonna do what it's gonna do. The job of a wise, responsible politician is to tell the peasants selfishly demanding food, housing, and healthcare to shut up and trust the process. The mystifying paradox is that his defense of elites is premised on the belief that no one controls the process--so what do we need them for?

quote:

Maybe I'm not saying anything new and this is what people mean when they talk about neo-feudalism, but I always thought monarchists were a historical phenomenon and not a real, modern reactionary possibility. Treating them as a punch line seems kind of dangerous for a show that caters to dumb, shitposting hogs like me.
I find it hard to believe that anyone in Silicon Valley would be one iota less evil if these guys weren't around.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Halloween Jack posted:

I think you're giving Friedman too much credit. The stuff about "stock vs. flow" is just bullshit marketing speak for "it's a fast-paced, sink-or-swim economy and you're on your own."

As Matt put it, he's just a court magician for capital. He's one of the people Matt Taibbi likens to the mystics and fortunetellers that enraptured the Russian aristocracy before the revolutionaries kicked down the doors.

What underlies his thinking is pure neoliberalism--capitalism is a force of nature, so it's gonna do what it's gonna do. The job of a wise, responsible politician is to tell the peasants selfishly demanding food, housing, and healthcare to shut up and trust the process. The mystifying paradox is that his defense of elites is premised on the belief that no one controls the process--so what do we need them for?

I find it hard to believe that anyone in Silicon Valley would be one iota less evil if these guys weren't around.

I want to believe your version of reality because I like the idea of a modern storming of the winter palace on Sand Hill Road, but I am not familiar with any vaguely popular revolutionary media that has a consistently solid analysis of the ghouls behind the trillions of dollars of capital tied up in big tech. I worry that clowning on the technoutopian buffoons gets all the action, while the real sinister assholes like Peter Thiel and the four CEOs mentioned by Friedman largely get by unmentioned. Basically I agree with SlimGoodbody, there are some incredibly dark undercurrents behind the tech moguls:

SlimGoodbody posted:

The whole neoreactionary movement that presaged the alt-right an dark element years ago was predicated on selling new monarchism to Silicon Valley, and even then I knew it was gonna grow into a huge problem, because that demographic is politically stunted and wildly susceptible to Great Man theory

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Last time I checked there were 2,063 billionaires and they're all forces of evil; most keep out of the spotlight. Elon Musk is Extremely Online because his company doesn't actually warrant its stock price without the utopian PR.

Ordinary people are taken in by Silicon Valley futurism because it's the only faction within capital that's optimistic about the future. It's as simple as that.

I don't think that the online neoreactionary movement is very important. Yes, Silicon Valley is spearheading a return to feudalism, but they are not doing that because they've become disciples of Yudkowsky, Moldbug, or even Hoppe. Those clowns are their propagandists to the alienated middle class, not their personal gurus.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Halloween Jack posted:

Last time I checked there were 2,063 billionaires and they're all forces of evil; most keep out of the spotlight. Elon Musk is Extremely Online because his company doesn't actually warrant its stock price without the utopian PR.

What would I give for Elon Musk to do something dumb enough to get band from Twiter? Just thinking about how much Tesla stock would drop if that happened makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. :3:

side_burned fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 8, 2019

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Halloween Jack posted:

I guess what I'm saying is I would unironically listen to a 2,063 episode podcast that indicted each and every one of these assholes for their crimes against humanity.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
But also, I put Peter Thiel and Marc Andresson and other low-key tech/VC billionaires in an entirely different league than the likes of Extremely Online Elon Musk.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Kobayashi posted:

But also, I put Peter Thiel and Marc Andresson and other low-key tech/VC billionaires in an entirely different league than the likes of Extremely Online Elon Musk.

Here's a fun little chart that lists some of the big names in the valley and how their wealth can be traced all the way back to the Shockley's Semiconductors and Co.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/03/29/opinion/sunday/lyft-ipo.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/shemarrico/status/1114579174155522048?s=19