Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

site posted:

Has there ever been a big money backer for a cgator?

GamerGate ended up with a lot of dark money flowing into it, which might have as much to do with Milo as anything else, and it's hard not to see something like Van Sciver's current "output" as a low-key audition thereof. I'm also not convinced that all these quasi-successful Indiegogo campaigns are 100% on the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

GamerGate ended up with a lot of dark money flowing into it, which might have as much to do with Milo as anything else, and it's hard not to see something like Van Sciver's current "output" as a low-key audition thereof. I'm also not convinced that all these quasi-successful Indiegogo campaigns are 100% on the level.

I'm genuinely not sure how far the outrage dollar stretches. It feels like 'pretty far' but probably not as far enough to do what they've gotten. IGG seems childishly simple to get around for that sort of thing, which is why I expect they use it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's worth remembering that these mods pretty much never see context. They just see one guy going 'gently caress off' and go 'wow, rude, banned', and then an hour (and thousands of reports) later they see a tweet by a Nazi and go 'wow, racist, banned' (assuming they use very specific words they've been told are unacceptable on Twitter, and assuming they notice those words because they've been working eight hours straight and are about to sneak off to scream into a stairwell because the last three reports were puppies getting flayed alive), and never make the connection that those two might have been connected.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The point is though, that the ticket people know the ideology of the person they are working for, they know that Twitter's rules favor Nazis and bad actors in general, they know that they aren't seeing context when passing judgement on who's getting hit with mass reports. Being paid minimum wage doesn't absolve them of complicity in being the enforcement arm of those rules passed down by those people. They may be coerced by socioeconomic circumstance into needing the job, but they're still doing it

Just like i have little sympathy for people who work at fox news. Even the low low low people know what that place is about

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

site posted:

The point is though, that the ticket people know the ideology of the person they are working for, they know that Twitter's rules favor Nazis and bad actors in general

They don't necessarily know this. If you're doing a dead end job like that, you're desperate. Twitter's problems are known by people like us, but the average person who just thinks of Twitter as "that place where people talk at each other in little snippets" doesn't generally have any idea of that. Oh, sure, they know things like "people tend to be assholes there", and the like, but there hasn't been a huge public outcry about Twitter being alt-right friendly. There has been in our circles, but not in the general public at large.

Having a dead end job like that also makes you less likely to think critically about this stuff, because you just don't have the energy to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Even if you're aware of the shitstorm, not everyone can afford to just up and quit their lovely job because they disagree with corporate policy. And that sucks for them because you know people in their life talk poo poo to them constantly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kurui Reiten posted:

They don't necessarily know this. If you're doing a dead end job like that, you're desperate. Twitter's problems are known by people like us, but the average person who just thinks of Twitter as "that place where people talk at each other in little snippets" doesn't generally have any idea of that. Oh, sure, they know things like "people tend to be assholes there", and the like, but there hasn't been a huge public outcry about Twitter being alt-right friendly. There has been in our circles, but not in the general public at large.

Having a dead end job like that also makes you less likely to think critically about this stuff, because you just don't have the energy to.

I extremely don't buy the idea that employees of Twitter aren't aware of these things

Rhyno posted:

Even if you're aware of the shitstorm, not everyone can afford to just up and quit their lovely job because they disagree with corporate policy. And that sucks for them because you know people in their life talk poo poo to them constantly.

I in fact said in my first post on this subject that i think sending the mobs after these kinds of employees is dumb

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Wanderer posted:

GamerGate ended up with a lot of dark money flowing into it,

Wait, what?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

site posted:

I extremely don't buy the idea that employees of Twitter aren't aware of these things

Unfortunately, that's how it is. Especially when you don't even have time to look at your phone at work. Especially when you're told to not discuss the specifics of your job with people outside of work. A lot of people just don't care enough, and retreat into a little bubble. After all, they work in conditions that grind them down, they don't have the energy to take time to look into these things, nor do they have the reason.

Like I said, there hasn't been a huge public outcry about this stuff. It is not common knowledge in the general public. People glance at the surface, shrug, and assume that's what's going on.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ryonguy posted:

Somebody looking at dozens of reports from blatant nazis and bot accounts and thinking "hmm yes this person that told a nazi to go gently caress themselves is the actual problem" is completely culpable for their actions. "Just following orders" hasn't been a legit defense for a long time, hope that helps.

You keep getting hung up on these people considering bigger picture when that's not what they do, at all, but alright guy it's definitely the fault of the guy who makes 7.60 an hour

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kurui Reiten posted:

Unfortunately, that's how it is.

Do you work at Twitter

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

. They may be coerced by socioeconomic circumstance into needing the job, but they're still doing it

I signed up for the military in 2008 because I had no job, no prospect for the future, no money, nothing

You do dumb poo poo and compromise your values sometimes when youre hard up, I personally can't get too mad at them when theres people who are far more cuplable further up the chain exploiting them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

Do you work at Twitter

I don't but I know a lot of people who aren't nearly as online as I am and they know jackshit about how Jack is a Nazi sympathizer so anecdotally yeah I can totally believe people signing up to work for money not knowing how hosed it is

Fake edit people in our mutual age group, even, not even like my boomer rear end mom

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

You should really read that article about Facebook, they talk about this exact thing

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

I'm genuinely not sure how far the outrage dollar stretches. It feels like 'pretty far' but probably not as far enough to do what they've gotten. IGG seems childishly simple to get around for that sort of thing, which is why I expect they use it.

While I wouldn't balk at learning that dark money went into Comicsgate, I honestly don't have much trouble believing that there's enough chuds and useful idiots that have five or ten bucks to spare and want to stick it to the SJWs that you can make a decent living. Especially in lovely times like these where you're getting a dopamine hit for what you see as fighting back against an invading evil.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:ughh:

Okay I thought I had explained this a couple times but just so it's clear in case it wasn't I don't think that mods are the end all of responsibility on how Twitter is run, nor that they're even the most important link in the chain. Was that not clear?

site fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 6, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wasn't directing that at you site, I was just adding to the "sometimes you have to make compromises" conversation.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

:ughh:

Okay I thought I had explained this a couple times but just so it's clear in case it wasn't I don't think that mods are the end all of responsibility on how Twitter is run, nor that they're even the most important link in the chain. Was that not clear?

You're not the person I'm frustrated with itt I'm just chiming in on based on things you have said because they sparked my brainmeat

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Wait, what?

Milo got a lot of funding from political think tanks and such to do his poo poo, which all started as GamerGate stuff on Breitbart. There are direct links between GamerGate and the ascension of the alt right.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Milo got a lot of funding from political think tanks and such to do his poo poo, which all started as GamerGate stuff on Breitbart. There are direct links between GamerGate and the ascension of the alt right.

Fuuuuuck. I feel like I'm playing INWO.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Both Gamergate and all that SJWs in Star Wars bullshit was pushed hard by Russian troll farms.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Vince MechMahon posted:

Exactly that.

It's actually why Milo's in so much financial trouble now. He was roaming around the world like a particularly dumb rock star while living entirely off of the good will and grace of one of the big right-wing money spigots. I think his was the Mercer family. Once that dried up, because it turns out even they have limits, things started to get a wee bit schadenfreudey over Milo way.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Wanderer posted:

I do wonder how many of the people who are pursuing this sort of grift are true believers, vs. those who are doing it to hopefully catch the attention of some dark-money font, the way Milo was for a while to the Mercers.

EVS did have that "my struggle" art book back in the 00s, so if it's a con it's a long one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Puppy Time posted:

While I wouldn't balk at learning that dark money went into Comicsgate, I honestly don't have much trouble believing that there's enough chuds and useful idiots that have five or ten bucks to spare and want to stick it to the SJWs that you can make a decent living. Especially in lovely times like these where you're getting a dopamine hit for what you see as fighting back against an invading evil.

It was more the larger donations, some a few thousand dollars high. Always anonymous (except in a couple of weird cases), although this got spun as the comics creators who secretly still have his back and love and respect him and ComicsGate.

Also look at this colossal dumbass.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 6, 2019

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Yeah those super political Silver Age Superman books sure are what drove the creation of the entirely apolitical X-men.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somebody get Mark Evanier in on that, he doesnt sit by while people drag Kirby's name.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I wonder if Jeremy Kirby (Jack’s grandson) would summon the collective spirit of Jack’s work to squarely punch EVS in his ugly mug take legal action.

edit: some chud is trying to twist the narrative by saying oh, Jack would side with creators because he was screwed over for money so many times by big companies, so he’d side with EVS. I know it’s useless to get upset over loving tweets of all things but dammit, Kirby’s Fourth World helped me grow as a person so I get super defensive.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 6, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack Kirby has never been anything but explicit of the fact that he would punch Nazis in the face at every single given opportunity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jack Kirby has literally killed Nazis and bragged about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, this is enough to piss me the gently caress off.

Jack Kirby went to actual war to kill Nazis. He loving hated Nazis. He is in heaven right now and he probably takes weekends in hell so he can keep punching loving Nazis. He'd beat the ever living gently caress out of EVS. They tried to twist Darwin Cooke's memory into being one of their own, there's no way they get to do this to Jack.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lurdiak posted:

Jack Kirby has literally killed Nazis and bragged about it.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Rhyno posted:

He is in heaven right now and he probably takes weekends in hell so he can keep punching loving Nazis.

This is the Jack Kirby comic I now most want to see.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CaptainRat posted:

This is the Jack Kirby comic I now most want to see.

The film adaptation is gonna be incredible.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

EVS says comics are dying but they're not.

Capes comics are dying, mostly because they've focused on their core audience for too long and repeatedly bungled any attempts to reach out to other (particularly younger) audiences, or to make their main products accessible to new fans.

But comics in general are on the rise. Partly because of all those dreadful SJWs wanting to buy comics they like.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Even cape comics dying is kinda shaky, but that's The Narrative.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Puppy Time posted:

EVS says comics are dying but they're not.

Capes comics are dying, mostly because they've focused on their core audience for too long and repeatedly bungled any attempts to reach out to other (particularly younger) audiences, or to make their main products accessible to new fans.

But comics in general are on the rise. Partly because of all those dreadful SJWs wanting to buy comics they like.

I’m not sure this is true at all.

This forum is pretty big on indie and smaller books, but go look in the shipping thread for a representative sample of what people buy even from here. The lauded resurgence of DC came when they dumped all the weirdness of the new 52 and focused on the core big heroes. Even here, we care about Batman and Superman and Spider-Man and the X-Men, and there’s only a handful of people who go really deep on indie books.

My shop doesn’t stock indie books most of the time, because they don’t sell in high enough numbers to justify the investment. The comic buying public is still buying big 2 and cape books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cape comics ain't going nowhere so long as the MCU films keep doing a BILLION bucks each.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Cape comics ain't going nowhere so long as the MCU films keep doing a BILLION bucks each.

You mean the movies that have been POISONED BY SJWS and are going to fail spectacularly because of it ANY DAY NOW?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Yeah those.

Well buddy a whole bunch of shiny sweaty men on YouTube have informed me that Captain Marvel is destined to fail because of its evil feminazi agenda

*Captain Marvel earns a billion dollars*

Ah well nevertheless...